Formation for new season

USA SaintsFan

Do you think we will play a 4-3-1-2, demonstrated in the DC United friendly, or a 4-3-3?

I am unfamiliar with Puels record as a manger, but would like to see the same system as last year. We have two talented wingers, Tadic and Redmond, and playing a 4-3-1-2, and relying on the full backs for width, would not suit them the slightest.

He played 4-3-1-2 last season due to Ben Arfa. He played 4-2-3-1 the previous season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see 3-4 different forms throughout the season depending on opposition.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Systems need to be looked at in terms of phases of play. We never play just one system in a match. In attack we may play 4-2-3-1 (is that so different to a 4-5-1). In defence we will change to a 4-4-1-1. I believe that Puel will play with a flexible midfield diamond. Personally in attack I love 4-2-4, 4-diamond-2 could also be considered. Play 4-2-4 in defence and you'll be destroyed.

Every system can be characterised by any manager. Wengers 4-2-3-1 may be slightly different to Puels 4-2-3-1.

Anyway looking forward to the responses to my post

Systems need to be looked at in terms of phases of play. We never play just one system in a match. In attack we may play 4-2-3-1 (is that so different to a 4-5-1). In defence we will change to a 4-4-1-1. I believe that Puel will play with a flexible midfield diamond. Personally in attack I love 4-2-4, 4-diamond-2 could also be considered. Play 4-2-4 in defence and you'll be destroyed.

Every system can be characterised by any manager. Wengers 4-2-3-1 may be slightly different to Puels 4-2-3-1.

Anyway looking forward to the responses to my post ����������

Er... um... yes?

I read a FA book of football tactics once written by Howard Wilkinson when he was their technical director and much-hailed whizz, when England played really well and one a couple of World Cups and the odd European Championship. My view of tactics and tactical formations has been coloured by that book ever since. It is all total mumbo-jumbo and utter c.r.a.p!

With a few exceptions most footballers will find it a bit of a stretch to understand what a coach is talking about when formations are presented on a white board, even if they can concentrate hard enough for long enough to take any of it in. As for remembering in detail and understanding their individual roles and responsibilities in a live match situation to ensure that switching from anything other than a basic 4-3-3 doesn't end up as an on-field organisational chaotic mess is stretching credibility too far. Old generals will tell you that War Plan A ends the minute the first shot is fired in anger because no matter how detailed the planning, they have no idea what the opposition has planned or how it will respond.

How often do we see in football any shift in the balance or pattern of play at any time other than sometimes at half-time when managers get 20 minutes with their players to explain a plan B, because by that time he has realised that his own Plan A hasn't worked? Sometimes they get away with it if the opposition is on top and the oppo's manger just advises "more of the same". More often than not in my experience when you get managers forever shouting instructions from the side-lines to change things around a team falls apart in confusion rather than for anything useful being achieved.

I would expect after what Les Reed has mentioned previously about the whole club playing 4-3-3 from 8 yrs old upwards, I expect this is one of Puels musts.

---------Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Davis Romeu Hojbjerg

NEW Long Tadic

With Clasie, JWP, Rodriguez, Redmond and Austin coming in giving cover.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Long played out right and Austin through the middle though.

As I just posted on another thread....

From what I have read/seen of Puel and his team's tactics, I am expected a variant of 4-3-3 more akin to a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond. As in: 2 solid CBs; RB and LB being used more like wing-backs, giving us all our attacking width; 1 holding DM (hence why I don't think VW will be replaced); 2 box-to-box midfielders (sitting deep when defending/against top teams - more advanced when attacking/against perceived weaker teams); 1 AM, to provide defence splitting passes/shoot from distance/arrive late to assist fwds; 2 fwds, not playing as a pair but not particularly wide either - more in between either CB and fullback.

It seems to me that Puel also likes his teams to keep possession and keep the ball on the deck. So, not so many 'lumps up the field' or crosses whipped in (as last season).

I would imagine our 1st/2nd eleven to be something like:

-----------------------------------------Frazer/Gazza-------------------------------------------

Cedric/Martina-----------Jose/Maya-----------------VvD/Gardos------------Bertrand/Targett

----------------------------------------Romeu/Hojberj------------------------------------------

------------------Davis/JWP------------------------------------Classie/Reed-------------------

---------------------------------------New/Tadic--------------------------------------------------

------------------Long/Redmond------------------------Austin/Jrod------------------------------

But I may be wrong.

I would expect after what Les Reed has mentioned previously about the whole club playing 4-3-3 from 8 yrs old upwards, I expect this is one of Puels musts.

---------Forster

Davis Romeu Hojbjerg

NEW Long Tadic

Wouldn't be surprised to see Long played out right and Austin through the middle though.

You don't reckon Redmond is going to play the opposite flank to Tadic in that example?

---------Forster

Davis Romeu Hojbjerg

NEW Long Tadic

I think its pretty clear that the club don't think Redmond is going to be cover and Austin will be expected to play down the middle. If Redmond doesn't get the nod Long will most likely get shoved out wide again in his place.

Apart from Cedric, Bertrand, Long, VVD, Hojberg, Redmond and the 'New' player. And that's if you believe JRod's lost all of his.

Is Hojberg known as a quick player? Didn't think he was necessarily quick myself.

I think we'll focus on wing backs next year, so Cedric and Bertrand could have the season of their lives if it works well, i think that's why we're looking for another right back - someone as attack minded and quick as Cedric, as Martina wouldn't provide the similar sort of wing back quality. I think they will provide the primary source of width. You'll see the likes of Redmond and Tadic coming inside (in my opinion).

Is Hojberg known as a quick player? Didn't think he was necessarily quick myself.

I think we'll focus on wing backs next year, so Cedric and Bertrand could have the season of their lives if it works well, i think that's why we're looking for another right back - someone as attack minded and quick as Cedric, as Martina wouldn't provide the similar sort of wing back quality. I think they will provide the primary source of width. You'll see the likes of Redmond and Tadic coming inside (in my opinion).

Martina is no slouch on the speed front though surely our much vaunted coaching can work on his crossing ability.

I thought Martina was a much better attacking fullback than he was defensively.

I thought Martina was a much better attacking fullback than he was defensively.

It still looked a bit forced to me, not natural in any way. I don't think he's dynamic or quick enough to play how Claude will want us to play. That's not to say he did a bad job for us, he has been a solid player - but i don't think we'd lose much sleep if he went.