Shane Long signs new 4 year deal

Batman

I'm chuffed with this, he's a good player and it's yet more of the current first team committing their future, at least contractually, to Southampton.

I think there's some crossed wires though, people seem to be relaxed about Pelle leaving at 31 since he's "past it" but happy that Long has signed a contract taking him even past that age.

If anything, I think Long's effectiveness will decline much faster than Pelle, in the sense that GP doesn't need to have the body of someone ten years younger to be a demon up front. Long relies on having fast legs, I can't really see his first touch improving that much as time goes on, and since he's not the tallest, his ability in the air will probably decline also.

Like I say, I'm pleased he's signed, and he was fantastic last season, no doubt. However he wont be able to provide that quality of game week in week out for more than another season and a half I would say.

I think it's wonderful that we've made half-a dozen signings....of our best players. Players who know the club, and are happy to stay and help us improve even more.

Of course, we welcome the new faces to replace the latest batch of defectors, but they really should take a look at the decline in careers of those who have gone before.

Getting a bigger wage packet isn't always so satisfying if you end up on the bench every week.

Having the same basic line-up playing together for 2-3 seasons is really the ground of success, and tying down your best players for 3-4 years must be worthwhile.

Taking a look at the " funny money " transfers so far, shows that the level of fees has gone up a further step or two, but that doesn't mean it'll work.

LvG spend a few hundred million on a team that couldn't even score goals at home. Now that Mourinho has started ditching them and spending even more of replacements, .....I can't convince myself that MU will be next years League Champions, and looking at the teams who finished below us last season, I wonder where we will all finish up come next May.?

Signing big name players may please the fans, but a collection of " talented " individuals don't turn themselves into a title-winning team overnight.

(if I were a MU Fan)..I would be quite embarassed to think my club was prepared to pay out £100 million for a player they had let go as a youth.:blush:

Lawrie McMenemy's old adage of a team is " eight road-sweepers and two prima-donnas " made a lot of people laugh at the time, but is very close to the truth.

I really wonder if these (for the most part) Continental players, really know what they will encounter in the Prem.?....it may not be the walk in the park they think.

Having a core of players who know each other, have played together and has the confidence of the Board.. says more to me than buying a £50-60 million " star ".

The signings that have pleased me most have been Steven Davis and Shane Long. Their experience hasa greater value than the multi-millions being spent elsewhere.

Great player, really happy that he's chosen to stay at the club. Need more players like him committing and it feels like this season we're getting a strong group together who want to be here. Hope the new joiners feel the same way next season!

I think it's wonderful that we've made half-a dozen signings....of our best players. Players who know the club, and are happy to stay and help us improve even more.

Of course, we welcome the new faces to replace the latest batch of defectors, but they really should take a look at the decline in careers of those who have gone before.

Getting a bigger wage packet isn't always so satisfying if you end up on the bench every week.

Having the same basic line-up playing together for 2-3 seasons is really the ground of success, and tying down your best players for 3-4 years must be worthwhile.

Taking a look at the " funny money " transfers so far, shows that the level of fees has gone up a further step or two, but that doesn't mean it'll work.

LvG spend a few hundred million on a team that couldn't even score goals at home. Now that Mourinho has started ditching them and spending even more of replacements, .....I can't convince myself that MU will be next years League Champions, and looking at the teams who finished below us last season, I wonder where we will all finish up come next May.?

Signing big name players may please the fans, but a collection of " talented " individuals don't turn themselves into a title-winning team overnight.

(if I were a MU Fan)..I would be quite embarassed to think my club was prepared to pay out £100 million for a player they had let go as a youth.:blush:

Lawrie McMenemy's old adage of a team is " eight road-sweepers and two prima-donnas " made a lot of people laugh at the time, but is very close to the truth.

I really wonder if these (for the most part) Continental players, really know what they will encounter in the Prem.?....it may not be the walk in the park they think.

Having a core of players who know each other, have played together and has the confidence of the Board.. says more to me than buying a £50-60 million " star ".

The signings that have pleased me most have been Steven Davis and Shane Long. Their experience hasa greater value than the multi-millions being spent elsewhere.

Good read David. As things stand though we have lost our "prima donna" to Liverpool and there's no sign of an adequate attacking replacement.

Good read David. As things stand though we have lost our "prima donna" to Liverpool and there's no sign of an adequate attacking replacement.

I think Lawries quote was Road Sweepers and Violinists not prima donna's.

Whilst we do seem to have lost most of our prima donna's over the last few years, I'd like to see a few more Violinists to orchestrate our play.

But the trend of players signing longer contracts to stay is a big boost and a good sign to anybody thinking about joining that things aren't so bad after all!!

Meltdowns? We laugh in the face of adversity and tweak the nipples of meltdowns:lol:

Edited by ericofarabia

No player leaves without the deal being in the best interests for the club. Tadic will be no exception. If they want him they will have to pay a high price

I'm chuffed with this, he's a good player and it's yet more of the current first team committing their future, at least contractually, to Southampton.

I think there's some crossed wires though, people seem to be relaxed about Pelle leaving at 31 since he's "past it" but happy that Long has signed a contract taking him even past that age.

If anything, I think Long's effectiveness will decline much faster than Pelle, in the sense that GP doesn't need to have the body of someone ten years younger to be a demon up front. Long relies on having fast legs, I can't really see his first touch improving that much as time goes on, and since he's not the tallest, his ability in the air will probably decline also.

Like I say, I'm pleased he's signed, and he was fantastic last season, no doubt. However he wont be able to provide that quality of game week in week out for more than another season and a half I would say.

Exactly. So he can perform with us for another 2 seasons like you say at a high level- maybe if we are very optimistic even have a Vardy like season and get 20+ goals.

After those 2 good seasons where you think he will decline, we can cash in if a big club comes calling for stupid money as he will still have 2 years left.

I think Lawries quote was Road Sweepers and Violinists not prima donna's.

Pshycologically a good team consists of 7 Road Sweepers and 4 Concert Violinists, if you are really lucky you get one lead violinist (according to Lawrie when Alan Ball died, "Alan started life as a road sweeper but became the best lead violinist Southampton ever had" - arguable of course, but neither MLT or Micky were ever road sweepers)

Exactly. So he can perform with us for another 2 seasons like you say at a high level- maybe if we are very optimistic even have a Vardy like season and get 20+ goals.

After those 2 good seasons where you think he will decline, we can cash in if a big club comes calling for stupid money as he will still have 2 years left.

Great that we've tied him to a long term deal as I think he's probably our hardest working player. I'd be over the moon if he got 20+ goals in a season. However, he's one of those frustrating strikers who gets into some great positions but is then let down by poor finishing. If he can improve his finishing then we're on to a winner. However, I'm not sure about using him upfront on his own. My gut feeling is that he's better playing off a front man and will always be one of those who contributes 10-12 goals a season. That said, if we can keep Austin fit and he can bag 18+, then 30+ goals between him and Long doesn't sound too shabby.

I'm naively assuming he's just going to do what Vardy did this season. It feels like the potential is there, despite years and years of not scoring that many.

I think if I could choose, I'd rather our significant investment be in the attacking midfield/winger/no10 roles. Long/Austin/Rodriguez/Gallagher/Seager fighting for 1, maybe 2 spots seems ok IF there is creativity and goals behind them. Tadic, yes brilliant, but after that there isn't much. Get a couple like Boufal, Sigurdsson and we'd look great in attack. We're missing flair, dribbling and goals.

If we lined up something like this;

Austin

Tadic Sigurdsson Boufal

I would literally cum in my pants!!

• 4 months later...
How do we solve the Long conundrum? Was his form last year an anomoly or will he find his form soon?

Does he suit the Puel style?

Both I think.

The second half of last season played to his strengths - getting the ball forward as quickly as possible to him, stretching defences, forcing defenders into errors - the space he created also helped Tadic and Mane create chances for him. He was also on possibly the best hot streak of his career and the confidence was flowing, hence scoring goals like Newcastle at home last season.

This year I don't think we play to his strengths - our forward / build up play is a lot more technical and 'patient' which I don't think suits him at all. You can also see he seems completely devoid of any confidence - it's like he's concerned he'll only get one chance and must take it, whereas last year he knew he'd likely get several in a game.

Still a valuable asset for us, but probably wont see the best of him unless we change out style, which aint going to happen.

How do we solve the Long conundrum? Was his form last year an anomoly or will he find his form soon?

Does he suit the Puel style?

Shane Long has always been an average striker who has averaged 1 goal every 4 games throughout his career. His one exceptional asset was his pace and although he is still faster than Redmond, he is 30 now and seems to have lost a bit of it this season and can't outsprint defenders the way he used to. That's not going to get any better but he should still score a handful of goals this season. Next season his days as a Premier League striker will probably be numbered. Maybe we could sell him to a top Championship club or even a newly promoted club in the summer and recover some of the money we paid for him.

Shane Long has always been an average striker who has averaged 1 goal every 4 games throughout his career. His one exceptional asset was his pace and although he is still faster than Redmond, he is 30 now and seems to have lost a bit of it this season and can't outsprint defenders the way he used to. That's not going to get any better but he should still score a handful of goals this season. Next season his days as a Premier League striker will probably be numbered. Maybe we could sell him to a top Championship club or even a newly promoted club in the summer and recover some of the money we paid for him.

His new contract and generally poor goal return probably means its unlikely anyone in the Championship will be able to afford him.

He can certainly still do a great job in the PL but we definitely havent got the best out of him at all this season. Think he must be quite a number of games without a goal for Saints now. I don't think he suits the style Puel intends for the team, he suits a much more direct game which we wont play over the bext few years Puel is here.

Long hasn't become a bad player - it's Puel's setup and style

Add Shane to the long list of players looking v.poor under Puel

He's missed some absolute sitters including an open goal vs Arsenal. How is that Puel's fault?

Saturday he had a headed chance that he should have buried, I jumped up off the sofa only to see him manage to head the ball back away from the goal. He is chronically low on confidence, having a bad time with knocks/injuries but that's got nothing to do with Puel.

Is this your new routine; long list of players v.poor under Puel? Who is on this "long" list compared to last season?

He's missed some absolute sitters including an open goal vs Arsenal. How is that Puel's fault?

Saturday he had a headed chance that he should have buried, I jumped up off the sofa only to see him manage to head the ball back away from the goal. He is chronically low on confidence, having a bad time with knocks/injuries but that's got nothing to do with Puel.

Is this your new routine; long list of players v.poor under Puel? Who is on this "long" list compared to last season?

Don't shoot the messenger mate

Thread about it here >>> http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57427-What-s-gone-wrong#.WEWBgYbfWaM

You don't think a number of our players are underperforming compared to last season?

You don't think any of that is down to Puel?

I don't think there is a long list.

I'd say:

Forster

Fonte

Those that have improved:

Romeu

Austin

VVD

Those that have been roughly the same:

Davis

Tadic

JWP

Martina

Those that have been injured

Cedric

Bertrand

Long

Targett

JRod

Those that didn't play here (or in first team) last season:

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Sims

McCarthy

McQueen

Hesketh

Redmond

Edited by OttawaSaint

wouldn't agree about Austin

Definitely agree with Romeu and VVD

Q: What do these two have in common?

A: Limited rotation

So the same people that say the rotation is working take note

Forster also played a lot of minutes. Not played as well as last year. Should we be rotating goalies?

• 1 month later...

One club goal after half the season, not the way it was intended to turn out!

If you don't play to Long's strengths then he is a poor striker as has little composure and technical quality.

Clearly Puel is here to stay and clearly Long doesn't fit his style of play and can never really be trained to.

How does this play out, both now and longer term? Sure he earns a pretty sizeable wage which we are seeing no return on.