Dave Watson signs new contract

Saint Garrett

Great news (Although I thought it was announced when Claude joined?)

Regardless, it's really positive. I'm guessing he still does our set-pieces?

Can only be a positive that he gets input all the way down through the age groups too.

I get the impression he is a vital part of the set up here now going beyond goalkeeping, and wouldn't be surprised to see him as a successful manager one day.

He certainly was involved in all the final briefings to Substitutes as they were about to go onto the pitch (at England matches as well - will Fat Sam keep him on?)

An important backroom link between the old and new regimes. He can help Puell get to know players strengths and weaknesses etc. I have said previously, as I think you too have, that he is clearly a very important and valued member of staff and definitely a manager in the future.

The #meltdown continues apace!!

Good move. If i was a young, talented and up-coming keeper I would be interested in signing for a club that has the current England goalkeeping coach in its ranks, even if it meant sitting behind Forster in the pecking order.

Genuine question. Why is he now Head of Goalkeeping and how does that differ from his previous role/title?

Good move, seems an important part of things and the continuity can only help.

Surely he'll be helping recruit a new keeper? The lad behind Gazza might be promising but don't we want a better no.2?

Unless, of course, as an experienced keeper and coach, he has a higher opinion of Gazza than some on here.

This is really excellent news, there must have been quite a few Premier League clubs sniffing around for his services. As we saw last year, Dave is rather more than a goalkeeping coach and at times seemed to be the main man in the technical area re-rorganising the defence and generally voicing encouragement to the team. Perhaps the club sees potential in Dave Watson to be our first team coach one day in the not too distant future?

Safe from the Everton war chest then. Good news.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's all happening at Everton. Not only have they signed our former back-up keeper, the now 33-year old, Stekelenburg but also an 18-year old GK from Oldham and another 18-year old, a forward from Coventry. Everton fans must be ecstatic to see the money being splashed as promised even if Koeman hasn't taken half the Saints' squad with him as some thought at the time. They are being linked with virtually every Dutch player who is thought to be looking for another club but if they lose Stones, signing goalkeepers might not be enough.

Good news no doubt in terms of continuity and progression within the club for the good guys. Keeps him alongside Forster which appears to be a big deal for some reason. The fact the club have bigged-up the announcement is a little strange perhaps, but it keeps the messages positive in the absence of a star player signing. Not sure the kiddies will want to have 'Watson' on the back of their weirdo new Saints shirts though! (-;

I was told by someone who knows Dave, that he'll stay until Fraser leaves, and if he does leave, he'll probably go with him as he rates him that highly.

Seems unlikely scenario - if Forster ends up at, say, Pep's Man City why would they want his personal goalkeeping coach as well? I reckon other football clubs have their own perfectly adequate coaching set up.

Following FF around is an unlikely option for DW, he'll have to just get on with coaching the next FF for us.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems unlikely scenario - if Forster ends up at, say, Pep's Man City why would they want his personal goalkeeping coach as well? I reckon other football clubs have their own perfectly adequate coaching set up.

Following FF around is an unlikely option for DW, he'll have to just get on with coaching the next FF for us.

Probably why McCarthy signed for Saints.