Want to Feel Old?

Lighthouse

Was flicking through the BBC football stories and it turns out the original HCDAJFU, Rudi Skacel has turned up in Scotland again (Roath Ravers this time). A quick look at Wikipedia, turns out it's exactly 10 years (or it will be in 3 days) since he signed on the pitch during a preseason friendly, ending possibly the longest transfer thread in the history of Saintsweb.

At the time I thought it was the final piece in our promotion jigsaw. I think if someone had told me then what the next 10 years was actually going to bring, I have said, "hahaha, no seriously though..."

What an amazing 10 years we have had in the interim, including a trip to the edge of the abyss and back. Skacel feels further back than that.

Still editing my Eulogy to be delivered next week at the Funeral of my 107 year Grandmother, 10 years is a mere dot in her time.

I wonder what Saints and Football will look like in 10 years time?

That was a great summer the thread ran and ran and ran and then the signing on the pitch with the mystical number 7 shirt really was the crowning glory! He was never going to ive up to the hype but for me was a very good player who also put in a shift when needed ie spending a season at left back!

Also the same year Tim Sparv left the club!

So many things to make you feel old. I was playing Second Toughest in the Infants by Underworld in the car yesterday, thinking of it as fairly modern. It's exactly 20 years old. So when I played it to my eleven year old child, it was like my parents playing me something from 1961.

I don't want to feel old, I just do on occasions :D

My occasions, training and playing with my team, the reserves. most are around a third my age (or less)! It's not quite so bad with our first team as they have some players older than 20, 25 even!

I thought you were going to say when Baggy Trousers by Madness was in charts is now closer to WW2 than it is to today.

You keep getting those weird maths bombshells too!? I thought I was the only one who got those!!.....And the older you get, the weirder they become!

Was flicking through the BBC football stories and it turns out the original HCDAJFU, Rudi Skacel has turned up in Scotland again (Roath Ravers this time). A quick look at Wikipedia, turns out it's exactly 10 years (or it will be in 3 days) since he signed on the pitch during a preseason friendly, ending possibly the longest transfer thread in the history of Saintsweb.

At the time I thought it was the final piece in our promotion jigsaw. I think if someone had told me then what the next 10 years was actually going to bring, I have said, "hahaha, no seriously though..."

It seems much more than 10 years ago .... an amazing change in the fortunes of SFC since then.

Re Transfer Saga's wasn't there a chap called Javier (?) being touted by another Spanish board member Javi(?)that ran and ran. Think the player ended up at Blackburn and was a flop.

Meanwhile awaiting the annual 1st sighting of Michael Owen looking at houses in Winchester ahead of his move down here before the transfer window closes ;-)

You keep getting those weird maths bombshells too!? I thought I was the only one who got those!!.....And the older you get, the weirder they become!

I still listen to a lot of Punk stuff from the late 70's. Still for me the music of the youth.

Crazy to think most of them are now old enough to be Grandad's and some are still touring!!

I still listen to a lot of Punk stuff from the late 70's. Still for me the music of the youth.

Crazy to think most of them are now old enough to be Grandad's and some are still touring!!

plenty of them still seem to be knocking up young women though, à la Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood.

Yeah, I was shocked as hell when David Bowie died aged probably somewhere in his 30's not long ago.:?

Time, falls VVanking to the floor. His trick is you and me.

It seems much more than 10 years ago .... an amazing change in the fortunes of SFC since then.

Re Transfer Saga's wasn't there a chap called Javier (?) being touted by another Spanish board member Javi(?)that ran and ran. Think the player ended up at Blackburn and was a flop.

Meanwhile awaiting the annual 1st sighting of Michael Owen looking at houses in Winchester ahead of his move down here before the transfer window closes ;-)

Javi de Pedro from Real Sociedad. Javi the fan actually worked for Glenn Hoddle's Spanish Academy for a little while about 5 years ago. I moved down here 10 years ago too.

The Skacel joke seems a LOT older than 10 years ago but I'm fine with it being that long ago for the actual transfer, I've moved house 5 times since then, and gone from "passably decent at football" through "doesn't run much" to "haven't kicked a ball in 2 years".

I was at Lanchester then. Some great night's in the JCR on the football table with the Clash and the Pistols. And being there at the birth of Two Tone.

Who could forget pogoing the night away dodging the gobbing from the stage.

I saw Stiff Little Fingers at T in the Park earlier this month, and I've seen Eddie and the Hot Rods in Southampton recently too, and I wasn't old enough to remember either of them despite being in my 40s.

Realised the other day that 9/11 was infact closer to my own birth than it is to today. I.e. It was more than half my life ago but feels like yesterday. I keep seeing movies from 2007/8 thinking 'oh that came out a couple of years ago', then it hits me; 9 f*cking years.

It's also more than 7 years since we could sing 'swing lowe', unless like me you were on a certain train to Charlton.

Realised the other day that 9/11 was infact closer to my own birth than it is to today. I.e. It was more than half my life ago but feels like yesterday. I keep seeing movies from 2007/8 thinking 'oh that came out a couple of years ago', then it hits me; 9 f*cking years.

It's also more than 7 years since we could sing 'swing lowe', unless like me you were on a certain train to Charlton.

You have only just started down the path. In front of you, I foresee a future of bewilderment and an increasing sense of mortality. ;) Welcome!

Can't listen to the Kaiser Chiefs without thinking of him. When I hear "Ruby Ruby Ruby" I think of him and play OUR version in my head. Those were the days!

Anyone remember his goal against Yoevil in a 5-2 win league cup game? Quality strike from about 35-40 yards. I also remember him having a pretty distinctive goal celebration.

Just for old times sake...

Henry signs for Skacel!

plenty of them still seem to be knocking up young women though, à la Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood.

it has to be easier to get excited about a young nubile lady friend than old Vera tho. They do have that advantage, the lucky sods.

I saw Stiff Little Fingers at T in the Park earlier this month, and I've seen Eddie and the Hot Rods in Southampton recently too, and I wasn't old enough to remember either of them despite being in my 40s.

Where did you see eddie and the hotrods? On a double bill with the Feelgoods at the Concorde club, by any chance? :)

You need Urban Dictionary (where it has resided since we invented it about 10 years ago).

We? Me. It's going on my gravestone. I'm saying it was for the transfer window in 2006 which the summer I was between jobs and had stupid amounts of time on my hands and I collated every single transfer rumour into one long list, with added gags. What a thread that was.

Its nice that it has lived on, just, over the years. Hate that urban dictionary definition though, even though I haven't read it for years.

I'm claiming responsibility for the original petting zoo idea, which was never as big admittedly. It was on a thread about stadium improvements we'd like to see and somehow evolved into the monkey chicken petting zoo. I wonder if anyone has given Kat the blueprints yet.

Back to Want to Feel Old - can't beat 107 years (respects to your gran) I just became a grandad last week at 55 - and am heading out tonight to play for our Over 50's team. There are 190 teams of over 50's registered in the Greater Vancouver area...proper leagues, refs, pitches, floodlights, nets etc...amazing...so never say never whoever hung his boots up two years ago...

No crowds not surprisingly...wives gave up yonks ago

Back to Want to Feel Old - can't beat 107 years (respects to your gran) I just became a grandad last week at 55 - and am heading out tonight to play for our Over 50's team. There are 190 teams of over 50's registered in the Greater Vancouver area...proper leagues, refs, pitches, floodlights, nets etc...amazing...so never say never whoever hung his boots up two years ago...

No crowds not surprisingly...wives gave up yonks ago

Congratulations Vancouver........ and thanks: was still dancing at 100!!

Briefly back to that urban dictionary entry, that introduction has to have been written by someone on here.

We? Me. It's going on my gravestone. I'm saying it was for the transfer window in 2006 which the summer I was between jobs and had stupid amounts of time on my hands and I collated every single transfer rumour into one long list, with added gags. What a thread that was.

Its nice that it has lived on, just, over the years. Hate that urban dictionary definition though, even though I haven't read it for years.

Nice to know someone's prepared to put their name to it anyway. For my part I used it at every conceivable opportunity for the following few transfer windows. ;)