Samuel Bastien

Saint Garrett

What's an "all action" midfielder? IMO we really don't need anymore midfielders but if he's better than what we've got, sign him up and sadly someone else will have to be sacrificed. A CB and striker wouldn't go a miss.

Except that in those clips he seems to be a very different sort of midfielder to Harrison. This guy looks to have a fair amount of flair and drive but there are no clues about whether he can tackle and I would say his pass completion needs a bit of work before he is ready for the first team. Nevertheless, it looks as if he has real potential so let's see what happens.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Why is it a bad thing to be signing a highly rated kid? This is surely what we want?!

I think it's great news.

Exactly....Arsenal have been signing "whizz kids" between 16 & 20 for years, but luckily we are far better at improving them!!

Given Koemans comments last winter about the academy players coming through its fairly obvious that the progression of the first team has out-stripped the overall development of the 18-21 group, so a few additions at that level is very astute rather than wait for the group below who seem to have far more potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is it a bad thing to be signing a highly rated kid? This is surely what we want?!

I think it's great news.

Exactly. Also keeps the current players on their toes and will give options for the weeks we have 3 games, especially in an area of the pitch where energy is crucial.

Will likely play the JPT too.

Been linked with Liverpool all summer according to various sources.

Metro factfile: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/01/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-liverpool-target-samuel-bastien-5917348/

This surely means he will be coming to us. Pretty sure It's actuallyLiverpool that spot the talent and then give us the nod.*

*Or maybe I'm being far too cynical about the whole setup.

Around £3m apparently

Seems fair enough to me then, shouldn't really affect the funds for bigger signings.

Essentially a swap for Juanmi, young, cheap promising player, see how does, if it doesn't work out no great outlay.

Lot of midfielders now though if this goes through but still no real replacement for Wanyama quality and style wise.

Seems fair enough to me then, shouldn't really affect the funds for bigger signings.

Essentially a swap for Juanmi, young, cheap promising player, see how does, if it doesn't work out no great outlay.

Lot of midfielders now though if this goes through but still no real replacement for Wanyama quality and style wise.

That would be the Wanyama that trashed our Euro campaign - got sent off 3 times - played when bothered last season?

His performance at home to Spurs was one of the worst I have seen in years he just couldnt be arsed to get near Dembele.

Romeu was ridiculously dropped by Koeman several times for Wanyama and think will be a very adequate replacement alongside JP

This surely means he will be coming to us. Pretty sure It's actuallyLiverpool that spot the talent and then give us the nod.*

*Or maybe I'm being far too cynical about the whole setup.

Well it would work.

LFC: "Guys, we've found another unproven [in the Premier League] player who is young and we think could be great, however we don't want to develop him"

SFC: "No probs, we'll sign him, develop him and then you can purchase him in 2 years if he's successful for a preferential fee"

LFC: "When you say preferential ... "

SFC: .........

That would be the Wanyama that trashed our Euro campaign - got sent off 3 times - played when bothered last season?

His performance at home to Spurs was one of the worst I have seen in years he just couldnt be arsed to get near Dembele.

Romeu was ridiculously dropped by Koeman several times for Wanyama and think will be a very adequate replacement alongside JP

Yeh that would be Wanyama one of our best players and clearly a level above Romeu.

That one.

I don't want 'adequate' replacements I want good quality players who improve the squad.

Yeh that would be Wanyama one of our best players and clearly a level above Romeu.

That one.

I don't want 'adequate' replacements I want good quality players who improve the squad.

Romeu a vastly better passer of the ball than Wanyama, though not as dominant as a destroyer in the middle. Romeu is no slouch as a DM, so who knows, maybe slightly better movement of the ball through the middle will mean additional goals which will offset the couple we might concede as a result of the switch.

Ah, the trashing of quality players as soon as they leave Saints - a SWF tradition if ever there was one.

If you want to pick on individual Wanyama performances, what about home to Liverpool when he came on at half-time with us 2 down and getting mullered (a game Romeu started) and played huge part in turning it around. A result that played a pretty big part in us finishing ahead of Scousehampton last season.

I like Romeu and think he's a wholehearted player who will no doubt get more chances to play this season, but if you you're saying he was as effective as Wanyama last season, you're kidding yourself.

Ah, the trashing of quality players as soon as they leave Saints - a SWF tradition if ever there was one.

If you want to pick on individual Wanyama performances, what about home to Liverpool when he came on at half-time with us 2 down and getting mullered (a game Romeu started) and played huge part in turning it around. A result that played a pretty big part in us finishing ahead of Scousehampton last season.

I like Romeu and think he's a wholehearted player who will no doubt get more chances to play this season, but if you you're saying he was as effective as Wanyama last season, you're kidding yourself.

I am not trashing him at all because he left that's an easy remark . Big Vic was one of my faves but last season he was at times not interested and way off .

He will be missed in games but think Romeu Sojberg etc will be effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level above Romeu haha yeah ok if you think Romeu is that bad think won't bother

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think Romeu is bad, he's a solid player, but he's not as good as Wanyama, not even close.

Hence why Spurs were after Wanyama not Romeu.

I don't think Romeu is bad, he's a solid player, but he's not as good as Wanyama, not even close.

Hence why Spurs were after Wanyama not Romeu.

It is clearly close. I'd probably pick Wanyama ahead of Romeu, but there's not a huge amount in it, your argument about Spurs doesn't even make sense.

It is clearly close. I'd probably pick Wanyama ahead of Romeu, but there's not a huge amount in it, your argument about Spurs doesn't even make sense.

Defensive block doing the negative stuff Wanyama but breaking up play passing and linking Romeu.

That one.

He was one of our best players when he wanted to be, about 4 or 5 times last season. People forget that for a lot of the season he was very very average, during one of his suspensions a lot of people felt Romeu had done well enough to keep his place in the side. He's a vey good player on his day but his day for us were few and far between for us last season. Romeu is a good player and with a full preseason under his belt and a year in England we'll see more from Claise this season as well.

I am not trashing him at all because he left that's an easy remark . Big Vic was one of my faves but last season he was at times not interested and way off .

He will be missed in games but think Romeu Sojberg etc will be effective.

Fair enough and hope you're right.

Just think the stuff about Wanyama's attitude is a bit overplayed on here at times. He made some mistakes with a couple of the sending offs (at least one was unlucky as I recall), but overall he still did enough to play an important role in us finishing 6th. And we should have been good enough to beat the mighty Midtylland with or without Big Vic so think there were others at fault for our Europa exit as well!

Fair enough and hope you're right.

Just think the stuff about Wanyama's attitude is a bit overplayed on here at times. He made some mistakes with a couple of the sending offs (at least one was unlucky as I recall), but overall he still did enough to play an important role in us finishing 6th. And we should have been good enough to beat the mighty Midtylland with or without Big Vic so think there were others at fault for our Europa exit as well!

Norwich one was stupid but also think he could have been subbed before second offence.

West Ham should have been a yellow but made it easy for ref by leaving ground.

He will do well at Spurs but am impressed so far with our defensive midfield although not tested much yet.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Lol you fool...do you not get saints web? you have to say everyone who left was **** and everyone we sign is the best player to walk the earth and that we will continue to sign players better than we sold yet will sell them to Liverpool for four times what we bought them for even though they are really ****!

We're a mid-table team who has overachieved for a few years now. You can't sustain overachievement, so my hopes for this year are a decent run in Europe, hopefully one of the domestic cups too, and finish comfortably clear of relegation. I can't see us finishing higher than 8th this season, could easily see 10-12th.

I'm on board with the idea of picking up young starlets, developing them for a few years and then selling them on for a ridiculous fee a few years later. It's about as good as we can do.

We're a mid-table team who has overachieved for a few years now. You can't sustain overachievement, so my hopes for this year are a decent run in Europe, hopefully one of the domestic cups too, and finish comfortably clear of relegation. I can't see us finishing higher than 8th this season, could easily see 10-12th.

I'm on board with the idea of picking up young starlets, developing them for a few years and then selling them on for a ridiculous fee a few years later. It's about as good as we can do.

TBF that's how I feel but I am obviously putting it across wrong as I keep getting told I am part of the "meltdown".

The squad is still up there with the best I have seen at the club, it's really disappointing we haven't the money to take the next step because if we had kept some of those quality players or managers we had over the last few years we really could have had a go.(be it at a cup or the league) but sport doesn't allow you to do that these days it's all about money..look at LCFC...however if we finish 6th or 20th I will still be there at every game hoping we can do better the following season..

Lol you fool...do you not get saints web? you have to say everyone who left was **** and everyone we sign is the best player to walk the earth and that we will continue to sign players better than we sold yet will sell them to Liverpool for four times what we bought them for even though they are really ****!

That is complete utter ****** if you bother reading the thread rather than being a smart arse.

Some of us actually give reasons rather than just follow like sheep.

Pelle and Lambert for 2 not done.

Pelle went for 260k A week didn't see him trashed

Edited by Give it to Ron

O

That is complete utter ****** if you bother reading the thread rather than being a smart arse.

Some of us actually give reasons rather than just follow like sheep.

Pelle and Lambert for 2 not done.

Pelle went for 260k A week didn't see him trashed

TBF some of you do..it was a generalisation..a few posters continually under play how good our players were who left. They leave from us where they are the first name on the team sheet and go to clubs where they are not even guaranteed a place in the squad. It's a big step up (well except Pelle ironically!) for them and then we have a 100 page defectors thread laughing at their performances?