The New Formation Thread : The Puel 4-4-2 Diamond

SuperSAINT

Nearly all of the players have spoken about it in interviews, but I've seen very little of the friendlies & so I was looking for opinions on the new system.

It's very early days, but I'm interested in what people have made of it so far?

How's it looking? Who has impressed? Who suits it? Who doesn't?

Guessing Redmond either plays at the tip or up front in this formation then....same as Tadic.

Seems a few people were impressed with Hojbjerg yesterday who played at the base of the diamond.

Not sure we have enough options to play two up top, I'd say if we're going to play 2 up top then we need another forward brought in.

Relies very heavily on the full backs getting forward.

It certainly makes our play a bit more varied having another formation - it worked well for Puel at Nice so hopefully it will do the same here - would seem we need a really dangerous AMC to make it work - hopefully they are signing Ziyech while they are at Twente!

Having 4-4-2 Diamond, 4-3-3 & 4-2-3-1 will make us much harder to play against. I would assume, generally speaking;

- 4-4-2 Diamond used at home against weaker opponents

- 4-3-3 away against weaker teams

- 4-2-3-1 against the better teams where we need to keep it a bit more compact.

Its interesting. Media reports suggested we had a club wide desire to play 4-3-3 which this is a non traditional variant of, so interesting we are moving slightly away from that version.

Main things I have noticed:

- There is one pivot midfielder instead of two.

- Full backs provide the attacking width and play high

-Strikers split and often the 10 player is furthest forward

Based on friendlies it suits:

- Tadic and Redmond who have space to influence the game. Redmond has also played as a striker which is interesting

- Full backs who are capable of beating a man and making good forward runs, Martina has done well going forward to an extent. Cedric and Bertrand should like it

- Should suit Jay Rod in theory as he can start wide and drift in but he still looks rusty. Its a similar role to which he had under Pochettino. May suit Long but you want him on the shoulder not dropping deep.

Doesn't seem to suit:

- Austin, who is a penalty area player and not overly adept at dropping deeper and having to chase the oppo full back.

- Targett who lacks the pace to take on his man in the final third

- Any get to the byline type winger like Isgrove as that isn't required in this system.

Midfield three is hard to tell so far as we have a lot of more defensive types and there is definitely scope for one to attack more, which will likely be Davis.

Could be tough against a team that dominates you, especially one with very attack minded full backs as our two strikers could end up chasing them the whole game.

Attack wise there is little point signing a winger if we play like this and we have Tadic and Redmond who can play 10, so a striker would be the most useful attacking addition.

Edited by Slugger

The fact that we've been without our two first choice full backs in pre-season so far may go some way to explaining why Austin in particular, who feeds off good wide play, has struggled to impress.

I think it's good to have an alternative system of play but given that the club supposedly wants to play 4-3-3 throughout the entire structure, I'd be a little surprised if Puel never played it, especially as our players seem to suit 4-3-3 more.

I'm hoping that we are playing the 4-4-2 to a) get as much practise as possible with it and b) see what (or who) works and what doesn't, rather than being a sign that we're going to be playing it every match.

Agree with those saying we need another striker if we're going to play a front two regularly (assuming Gallagher, Olomola or Seagar isn't going to suddenly become Prem class).

The strength of our team at the moment is certainly defence. If you had to list our five best players, I think you would include Fonte, Van Dijk, Bertrand and Forster. Maybe Tadic gets in but that's a slightly unbalanced squad.

One really quality attacking signing would be welcome and surely isn't unrealistic?

Agree with those saying we need another striker if we're going to play a front two regularly (assuming Gallagher, Olomola or Seagar isn't going to suddenly become Prem class).

The strength of our team at the moment is certainly defence. If you had to list our five best players, I think you would include Fonte, Van Dijk, Bertrand and Forster. Maybe Tadic gets in but that's a slightly unbalanced squad.

One really quality attacking signing would be welcome and surely isn't unrealistic?

Agree. Whilst we don't seem to be in for him a player like Berahino would immediately improve the starting XI.

Aside from cover keeper which we are sorting I think we are strong everywhere aside from maybe 4th CB.

But a decent striker would be a great addition, and is needed if we will play 2 up top with the added uncertainty around how effective Jay Rod will be.

Potentially also a more mobile ball carrier in midfield if we were being picky, as the likes of Romeu, Clasie, Reed, Hojbjerg, JWP all are better as deeper lying, passing players and in the midfield 3 there is room for one more expansive player, albeit of a different type to Davis. Aside from SD and the unknown quantity of Hojbjerg its hard to see many goals coming from central midfield again, assuming the 10 is counted as a forward.

Agree. Whilst we don't seem to be in for him a player like Berahino would immediately improve the starting XI.

Aside from cover keeper which we are sorting I think we are strong everywhere aside from maybe 4th CB.

But a decent striker would be a great addition, and is needed if we will play 2 up top with the added uncertainty around how effective Jay Rod will be.

Potentially also a more mobile ball carrier in midfield if we were being picky, as the likes of Romeu, Clasie, Reed, Hojbjerg, JWP all are better as deeper lying, passing players and in the midfield 3 there is room for one more expansive player, albeit of a different type to Davis. Aside from SD and the unknown quantity of Hojbjerg its hard to see many goals coming from central midfield again, assuming the 10 is counted as a forward.

Agree with you on Berahino. Suits this system MUCH more than 4-2-3-1.

I still wonder if we're quietly biding our time with Boufal. The delay could simply be giving his injury the most time to heal. It's always hard to decipher who actually wants him - Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs mentioned, but only Watford have seemingly made the only concrete offer.

Agree with you on Berahino. Suits this system MUCH more than 4-2-3-1.

I still wonder if we're quietly biding our time with Boufal. The delay could simply be giving his injury the most time to heal. It's always hard to decipher who actually wants him - Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs mentioned, but only Watford have seemingly made the only concrete offer.

Isn't he another Ziyech type player though, i.e would be competing with Redmond and Tadic for a place rather than Long, Austin and Jay?

Isn't he another Ziyech type player though, i.e would be competing with Redmond and Tadic for a place rather than Long, Austin and Jay?

Yes, but this entirely depends on whether we want to have different options for different formations.

Boufal is a "No.10", but on the flip-side - Tadic is left wing & Redmond is right wing - So we would be making ourselves stronger.

Yes, but this entirely depends on whether we want to have different options for different formations.

Boufal is a "No.10", but on the flip-side - Tadic is left wing & Redmond is right wing - So we would be making ourselves stronger.

Overall yes it would make us stronger. But if we sign one attacking player a good striker would be more valuable than a good attacking midfielder if we are going to be playing the 4-4-2 diamond.

Its interesting. Media reports suggested we had a club wide desire to play 4-3-3 which this is a non traditional variant of, so interesting we are moving slightly away from that version.

- Tadic and Redmond who have space to influence the game. Redmond has also played as a striker which is interesting

- Full backs who are capable of beating a man and making good forward runs, Martina has done well going forward to an extent. Cedric and Bertrand should like it

- Should suit Jay Rod in theory as he can start wide and drift in but he still looks rusty. Its a similar role to which he had under Pochettino. May suit Long but you want him on the shoulder not dropping deep.

Doesn't seem to suit:

- Austin, who is a penalty area player and not overly adept at dropping deeper and having to chase the oppo full back.

- Any get to the byline type winger like Isgrove as that isn't required in this system.

Midfield three is hard to tell so far as we have a lot of more defensive types and there is definitely scope for one to attack more, which will likely be Davis.

Could be tough against a team that dominates you, especially one with very attack minded full backs as our two strikers could end up chasing them the whole game.

Attack wise there is little point signing a winger if we play like this and we have Tadic and Redmond who can play 10, so a striker would be the most useful attacking addition.

Very good post. Agree 90%. I'm not sold on Redmon playing as no 10. Only see Tadic in that role.

Clearly another forward is needed, someone who can start from the center but go wide and cross when is needed but also with good first touch and creativity to play centrally in the final third (this is what Redmond lacks a bit as of yet from what I have seen), so you are not so dependent on Tadic's through ball.

As of today, my eleven would be:

----------Forster----------

Cedric Jose VVD Bertrand

---------Romeu------------

Højbjerg---------Davis----

---------Tadic---------------

----Redmond----Long------

Doesn't seem to suit:

Very interesting post. That is one concern how this system will set up against the likes of City away for example. Another striker is a definite for me too.

Very interesting post. That is one concern how this system will set up against the likes of City away for example. Another striker is a definite for me too.

Pretty much the way I see this too. I just wonder if this is the best system for our current players though. I am concerned about the midfield, and concerned about where the goals are going to come from. I'm not sure our two best scorers (Long and Austin) fit that well, although I do want to see how Long looks as a wing before making that decision.

Pretty much the way I see this too. I just wonder if this is the best system for our current players though. I am concerned about the midfield, and concerned about where the goals are going to come from. I'm not sure our two best scorers (Long and Austin) fit that well, although I do want to see how Long looks as a wing before making that decision.

We saw Long on the wing for enough time under Koeman to know he is considerably more effective playing on the shoulder of the defender.

There is definitely scope for that within this system but it has been noticeable from opposition goal kicks that the strikers split quite wide and in open play are asked to track back quite a lot more than Long and Pelle would have last season.

Ironically a system that would have suited Mane perfectly.

Notable change in style of play already. A lot less direct with a quicker tempo on the ball, lot more one and two touch. Will be interesting to see how we adapt this in the PL.

For me it is more of a 4-3-2-1 attacking, relying on the FB's for width and a high pressing 4-4-3 without the ball.

I hope we mainly play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 at the start of the season and are just trying this formation out as an alternative......As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it..Our form was only second to Leicester's in the second half of last season playing those formations...

But with the "1" up top being the No.10 going beyond the strikers who split wide?

No, 1st half when in possession Austin up top with JR & DT behind him. When Twente had the ball at the back all three pressed, this is when you would see Austin pressing wide at times as part of that 3.

It is fluid and depends on who is closest to the ball regarding who is most advanced and who pulls wide.

Notable change in style of play already. A lot less direct with a quicker tempo on the ball, lot more one and two touch. Will be interesting to see how we adapt this in the PL.

For me it is more of a 4-3-2-1 attacking, relying on the FB's for width and a high pressing 4-4-3 without the ball.

Presumably you meant 4-3-3 without the ball? Because that's definitely how I see it (as opposed to a diamond). The no.10/Tadic is far too advanced for it to be a diamond (imo), in spite of commentary to the contrary.

It's kind of a revert back to the MP way of playing, high press, attacking full backs, ball retention.

Still reluctant to put too much on this formation yet though, we're only 3 games into the pre-season. It'll evolve I imagine.

Very good post. Agree 90%. I'm not sold on Redmon playing as no 10. Only see Tadic in that role.

Clearly another forward is needed, someone who can start from the center but go wide and cross when is needed but also with good first touch and creativity to play centrally in the final third (this is what Redmond lacks a bit as of yet from what I have seen), so you are not so dependent on Tadic's through ball.

As of today, my eleven would be:

Cedric Jose VVD Bertrand

---------Romeu------------

Højbjerg---------Davis----

---------Tadic---------------

My starting eleven would be:

Cedric Jose VVD Bertrand

---------Højbjerg----------

----Clasie-------Davis----

----------Tadic---------------

My starting eleven would be:

Cedric Jose VVD Bertrand

---------Højbjerg----------

----Clasie-------Davis----

----------Tadic---------------

Højbjerg and Clasie should be swapped around.

Its only pre-season but I've liked what I've seen so far. Ball movement seem a hell of a lot faster and definitely less direct (which can be attributed to not having a Pelle like player). Austin's hold up play needs to improve but there is some frightening pace out there with Jay Rod (yes, needs more time and confidence), Redmond and Long to come. Can see us playing variants depending on opposition with a 4-2-3-1 against the bigger teams away from home, 442 diamond against weaker at home, 4-3-3 against weaker away as a few others have said.

Excited about a renewed goal threat from midfield. Wanyama was excellent at what he did did but lets be honest, his passing was awful and was always moving on. A lot has been made of Pelle's and Mane's lost goals but Austin without doubt is the Pelle replacement. I'm happy enough with that. Mane's goals comes in spurts and like others have said, went a long time without scoring. Between Jay Rod and Redmond I'd like to think we could replace the 12 goals he scored, and hopefully spread across more goals. Mane was always a threat though, even when not scoring, and had that ability to relieve pressure by carrying the ball 60 yards. I get the same feeling with Redmond, and Jay has done that before. Those comparing Mane and Redmond from last season would do well to realise that one played in a relegation team that did not give him the freedom to express himself and the other played in a team in the top half that did.

Romeu and Hojbjerg both look like they have goals in them and give us a threat from range. Clasie has looked good. JWP seems to be getting better. Reed is in backup and Davis to return. Redmond will get goals. Like others, I 'd like to see another attacker added but I believe the club has full confidence in Jay Rod. Whether that is well founded remains to be seen but he deserves our support. He was the first to sign a long term contract after all (albeit when injured).

When you look at those formations and think you could play either Long, Austin, Redmond or Jay Rod in a central striker role and Long, Jay Rod, Redmond, Tadic, Davis, JWP in the 3 forwards positions in a 4-2-3-1 its only a 4-3-3 we really struggle in. If we're playing 4-4-2 diamond then we have a choice of 4 plus the youth as backup for the two as Tadic/Davis/JWP take the offensive midfield position. If we play 4-2-3-1 then we have a choice of Tadic, Redmond, Long, Jay Rod, Davis, JWP, Clasie plus youth for the 3 with either Redmond, Long, Jay Rod and Austin as the 1. If its 4-3-3, we probably only have Tadic, Redmond, Long, Jay Rod and possibly JWP as the choice which is where we are probably short. Question for the club is, do we spent £10-20mil on a player for that one formation who would possibly upset others or give that option to youth? You'd think that any player we bring in would add depth to the other formations and be another option but that means somebody misses out each week in the match day squad. Hard decision if you ask me.

The other thing that seems apparent (and I know its PR, I know its edited) but the players seem genuinely happy. I never felt Mane and Wanyama in their interviews on youtube or Sky seemed that bothered about the club. The ones here now genuinely do (cue Clasie signing for Everton tomorrow).

Presumably you meant 4-3-3 without the ball? Because that's definitely how I see it (as opposed to a diamond). The no.10/Tadic is far too advanced for it to be a diamond (imo), in spite of commentary to the contrary.

Yes 4-3-3 without, typo

Its only pre-season but I've liked what I've seen so far. Ball movement seem a hell of a lot faster and definitely less direct (which can be attributed to not having a Pelle like player). Austin's hold up play needs to improve but there is some frightening pace out there with Jay Rod (yes, needs more time and confidence), Redmond and Long to come. Can see us playing variants depending on opposition with a 4-2-3-1 against the bigger teams away from home, 442 diamond against weaker at home, 4-3-3 against weaker away as a few others have said.

Excited about a renewed goal threat from midfield. Wanyama was excellent at what he did did but lets be honest, his passing was awful and was always moving on. A lot has been made of Pelle's and Mane's lost goals but Austin without doubt is the Pelle replacement. I'm happy enough with that. Mane's goals comes in spurts and like others have said, went a long time without scoring. Between Jay Rod and Redmond I'd like to think we could replace the 12 goals he scored, and hopefully spread across more goals. Mane was always a threat though, even when not scoring, and had that ability to relieve pressure by carrying the ball 60 yards. I get the same feeling with Redmond, and Jay has done that before. Those comparing Mane and Redmond from last season would do well to realise that one played in a relegation team that did not give him the freedom to express himself and the other played in a team in the top half that did.

Romeu and Hojbjerg both look like they have goals in them and give us a threat from range. Clasie has looked good. JWP seems to be getting better. Reed is in backup and Davis to return. Redmond will get goals. Like others, I 'd like to see another attacker added but I believe the club has full confidence in Jay Rod. Whether that is well founded remains to be seen but he deserves our support. He was the first to sign a long term contract after all (albeit when injured).

When you look at those formations and think you could play either Long, Austin, Redmond or Jay Rod in a central striker role and Long, Jay Rod, Redmond, Tadic, Davis, JWP in the 3 forwards positions in a 4-2-3-1 its only a 4-3-3 we really struggle in. If we're playing 4-4-2 diamond then we have a choice of 4 plus the youth as backup for the two as Tadic/Davis/JWP take the offensive midfield position. If we play 4-2-3-1 then we have a choice of Tadic, Redmond, Long, Jay Rod, Davis, JWP, Clasie plus youth for the 3 with either Redmond, Long, Jay Rod and Austin as the 1. If its 4-3-3, we probably only have Tadic, Redmond, Long, Jay Rod and possibly JWP as the choice which is where we are probably short. Question for the club is, do we spent £10-20mil on a player for that one formation who would possibly upset others or give that option to youth? You'd think that any player we bring in would add depth to the other formations and be another option but that means somebody misses out each week in the match day squad. Hard decision if you ask me.

The other thing that seems apparent (and I know its PR, I know its edited) but the players seem genuinely happy. I never felt Mane and Wanyama in their interviews on youtube or Sky seemed that bothered about the club. The ones here now genuinely do (cue Clasie signing for Everton tomorrow).

Good analysis

Make the system fit the players. Never make the players fit a system.

Bang on the money. We should be playing 4231/433 with the players we have. We don't have the players to play 442 diamond successfully at this level imo. We will might go down playing 442 diamond every week imo. With 4231/433 I can see us finishing top 8.

I don't like 442 diamond at all unless the whole team has pace to burn and can run all day every day. Particularly the two upfront. If he wants to play 2 up front then 442 and 352 are far better options imo with the players we have

Alot of teams play with one striker. The 4-diamond-2 gives you 2v1 overload against the striker. It also gives a 4v3 overload in midfield. The full backs or wings backs defend high up the pitch. I can see the logic and defensively we are organized 4-4-2.

I'm interested how we fit Clasie, Romeu, JWP, Hojbjerg, Reed, Davis, Redmond, J-rod, Austin... into this system

As Sir Humphrey Appleby would say, its a very courageous decision to change a successful way of playing. The previous system achieved 6th Place in the table and it would have been even better if not for the run of poor results from the end of November through to January. For now we must put our faith in the Manager and accept that he knows what he's doing. Only results will tell and either he'll be praised as a hero after a few weeks, or fans will be calling for his head. Clive knows that perfectly well, and wouldn't be making these changes unless he was confident that the outcome will be positive. To carry on as we were was no guarantee of success because all the teams around us are trying to improve as well. The only thing I'll say with confidence is that it won't be boring.

As Sir Humphrey Appleby would say, its a very courageous decision to change a successful way of playing. The previous system achieved 6th Place in the table and it would have been even better if not for the run of poor results from the end of November through to January.

Or, we wouldn't have finished as high as sixth if we didn't have a stunning run of results in April and May.

As I said previously we really should start the season in the formation we finished last season and I can already see it becoming an issue like it doesn't suit the players we have and we don't seem that dangerous in the final third...Still hoping we're just trying to get used to it in preseason so it's there as an option but I highly doubt that to be the case. With no natural number 10 and 2 good wide players in Redmond and Tadic I don't see it as a good fit ATM.

Puel is saying that the team won't be ready for the new season. He wants the fans to be patient while the players bed into the new system that they obviously are struggling with. Finish sixth, qualify for Europe, bring in a new manager that immediately introduces a new system that the players have to fit into not a system that fits the players. that sounds daft to me. Use the tried and tested system that all the players have been suited to and as appropriate introduce the diamond as an alternative until the players are comfortable and if it is then more successful use it.

He won't get patience, the fans are looking for continuation. If we struggle with results in our first two home games he will be in trouble.

Puel is saying that the team won't be ready for the new season. He wants the fans to be patient while the players bed into the new system that they obviously are struggling with. Finish sixth, qualify for Europe, bring in a new manager that immediately introduces a new system that the players have to fit into not a system that fits the players. that sounds daft to me. Use the tried and tested system that all the players have been suited to and as appropriate introduce the diamond as an alternative until the players are comfortable and if it is then more successful use it.

He won't get patience, the fans are looking for continuation. If we struggle with results in our first two home games he will be in trouble.

Agree with this 100% really can't understand the change in tactics after such a successful few seasons think he will be gone by xmas unless he gets off to a flyer which I doubt very much

Agree with this 100% really can't understand the change in tactics after such a successful few seasons think he will be gone by xmas unless he gets off to a flyer which I doubt very much

Adkins changed tactics from Pards, Poch changed tactics from Adkins and Ron changed tactics from Poch but our new manager isn't allowed to change anything?

melt me the fu ck up.

Koeman didn't even stick to the same tactics during the season and every manager we have had in the post take over era has changed the way the team plays we haven't spent the last seven seasons playing exactly the same way...

Koeman didn't even stick to the same tactics during the season and every manager we have had in the post take over era has changed the way the team plays we haven't spent the last seven seasons playing exactly the same way...

I think people are worried as we maybe do not have the players to play a diamond and do well

We will see soon enough what Puel does

Adkins changed tactics from Pards, Poch changed tactics from Adkins and Ron changed tactics from Poch but our new manager isn't allowed to change anything?

melt me the fu ck up.

Melt the fu ck up lets wait and see mr expert it's my opinion and I will stick to it melt

Prediction: The diamond is going to be this seasons scapegoat.

No different from the start of the 2012/13 season then when 4-2-3-1 was everyone's scapegoat; according to the usual dins on here that formation was forced on Adkins by an overbearing midget and going to be a disaster :lol:

Conditions change; teams adapt. Same as it ever was.

Edited by shurlock

No we haven't but this is a totally different system to what the last 4 managers have installed and we haven't the players currently to fit this system

No we haven't but this is a totally different system to what the last 4 managers have installed and we haven't the players currently to fit this system

why do you say that? We've haven't lost a game in pre-season and scored in every game and only conceded 2 and that's before we've even played our best 11. Yes it's only pre-season and some of the opposition hasn't been top notch but there hasn't been much to suggest the players are struggling with the new system.