Romeu's curiousity about our past

Fitzhugh Fella

One of Oriel Romeu's strengths, in my opinion, is his desire to find out about what makes Southampton tick in terms of the club's history and the city's culture. He often posts on Facebook little clips of him walking around the town pointing out interesting landmarks. Here is one he has just posted which as a historian I was well aware of but the fact he has dug out a little footage makes it even more interesting.

Is there any reason why Southampton chose to wear red and white? And why the diagonal sash was changed to stripes?

Yea the original team were made up of several young teachers who had graduated from a teaching training college in London called I think St John's the college's main colour was red and so they continued using that colour when St Mary's formed. After the sash we went into halves and then quarters before settling into stripes around 1895. Worth pointing out that in those days our shorts were navy blue very much like Athletico. Perhaps we should re adopt that colour for our shorts?

One of Oriel Romeu's strengths, in my opinion, is his desire to find out about what makes Southampton tick in terms of the club's history and the city's culture. He often posts on Facebook little clips of him walking around the town pointing out interesting landmarks. Here is one he has just posted which as a historian I was well aware of but the fact he has dug out a little footage makes it even more interesting.

Cheers FF. What a thoughtful chap Romeu is. I'd also welcome a return to the navy shorts.

I remember him posting this on his twitter back in March and his one about the history of Southampton before that. I respect footballers that still value knowledge. He must be one of the more intelligent in our squad.

Puts him miles ahead of most on here, too.