Man Utd v Saints Post Match Hmmmmm.....

Secret Site Agent

Still 2 weeks of the transfer window to go, and a couple more weeks of gelling will be needed after that to integrate any new players plus more familiarisation of our new way of playing.

But if we are not running like a well-oiled machine by mid-September, I reckon we will struggle to stay up.

This transfer window (in and out) so far has overall been a complete disaster.

We won't struggle to stay up, a total over reaction to everything as usual.

We need to change the system, Redmond is not a striker and his obsession with trying to do this will cost us a top 8 finish, Redmond is a good player who can become great if used out on the wings and let him cut in.

Jay Rod and Austin need more time to play upfront as they are more natural goal scorers before people write them off, we need stronger and more depth with europa league as this using the academy ******** is just another cheap way to help make more money for the greedy board, I think we are all realistic and know last season was a one off, but asking to finish 7th or 8th I feel is acceptable.

If we lose or draw to Sunderland I think we will be in a relegation scrap.

A relegation scrap after three games?

Plenty to agree with and disagree with.

We weren't awful and we played some good controlled stuff in midfield, comfortably holding our own. Defensively we do need RB back, Fonte looked tired or distracted or both and Cedric isn't the finished product, but we have options.

I'll be worried if Romeu is out for long. Clasie is no replacement in the protecting role. Will Reed finally get a chance? I like Hojdjberg and think he could build a good partnership with Tadic.

The concerns I agree with are in attack. Long and Redmond have pace but they aren't the best finishers. Neither do we have midfielders who will really get into the box and attack chances. We're missing Pelle as an alternative outlet and he got into positions to make chances, and was better than anyone now in the team at finishing them. Can Austin play that role and let Redmond and/or Long play wider? Not sure he can.

I'm hoping we'll still get in an exciting attacking player who can deliver goals, as Redmond hasn't impressed me yet and I'm not convinced he's a striker.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Couldn't give a monkeys what our possession stats were, it's what we do with the ball that's important, not how long we keep it.

Square pegs, round holes. Sorry, but to change a system that got us to 6th last year, to one which looks very easy to play against, doesn't play to our strengths, and is one that the players don't look to be buying into, is stupid.

Plenty to agree with and disagree with.

We weren't awful and we played some good controlled stuff in midfield, comfortably holding our own. Defensively we do need RB back, Fonte looked tired or distracted or both and Cedric isn't the finished product, but we have options.

I'll be worried if Romeu is out for long. Clasie is no replacement in the protecting role. Will Reed finally get a chance? I like Hojdjberg and think he could build a good partnership with Tadic.

The concerns I agree with are in attack. Long and Redmond have pace but they aren't the best finishers. Neither do we have midfielders who will really get into the box and attack chances. We're missing Pelle as an alternative outlet and he got into positions to make chances, and was better than anyone now in the team at finishing them. Can Austin play that role and let Redmond and/or Long play wider? Not sure he can.

I'm hoping we'll still get in an exciting attacking player who can deliver goals, as Redmond hasn't impressed me yet and I'm not convinced he's a striker.

Austin is a fine finisher. Unfortunately, this new system doesn't fit him.

Why we can't play Long and Austin as a pair, that are actually within 30 yards of each other, I don't know. Would be much harder to defend against.

Couldn't give a monkeys what our possession stats were, it's what we do with the ball that's important, not how long we keep it.

Square pegs, round holes. Sorry, but to change a system that got us to 6th last year, to one which looks very easy to play against, doesn't play to our strengths, and is one that the players don't look to be buying into, is stupid.

I'll give the diamond another game or two but I agree with you. It's strange to change when the players we've got seem.to me to fit much better into last season's formation.

I know people generally get hammered for being anything but deliriously optimistic on here, but got to say, the Utd game wasn't great.

Maybe its hard to get a fair assessment as Utds team is pretty incredible this year, especially seeing as Ibrahimovic seems up for it.

I just think we lack quality. Which is disappointing as we have the finances to make some really strong signings. Our creative engine seems to be solely placed on Tadic's shoulders and he seems to spend half the game waving his arms about pointing at god knows what. Wish he would just get his head down and focus on his own game. Hes not a bad player but wouldnt want an entire league campaign reliant on him creating our chances.

Long looked really out of sorts, hopefully just a one off, but had one chance that he fluffed his lines on massively and then looked sulky rest of the game.

Targett, who i would love to get behind as a saints youth product isn't up to the grade.. yet.

Clasie isnt physically strong enough to be a premiership player. I wasn't Wanyama's biggest fan but he was an absolute tank, whoever he marked was either going to get injured or suffocated out the game, thus effectively giving us an extra man over the opposition.

I dont see Austin as an impact sub, he is a natural poacher. One of those players that needs 90 mins to wander around not doing much but somehow get a goal consistently every other game.

On the plus side, reckon Hooijberg is going to be quality, Van Dijk is class, Bertrand yet to come back who i also rate highly.

But theres a bit too much mediocrity in the side at the moment, we have the funds and the time to bolster the squad with some real talent. Hope we dont waste it!

Austin is a fine finisher. Unfortunately, this new system doesn't fit him.

Why we can't play Long and Austin as a pair, that are actually within 30 yards of each other, I don't know. Would be much harder to defend against.

Would like to see Long and Austin start next week.

I'll give the diamond another game or two but I agree with you. It's strange to change when the players we've got seem.to me to fit much better into last season's formation.

But last season we had other players, probably better than those who have replaced them, we are learning that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Anyway who cares, we lost to Utd, it was always on the cards .

Play Austin and play him properly i.e. in the box receiving service.

If Puel isn't going to do this then I'd like to know where he thinks the goals are going to come from? Maybe a signing up his sleeve?

On the plus side we're always a bit sluggish at the start of the season so I suppose at least we got ManU (a) off our fixture list during our slumber phase rather than losing to a more beatable team.

Let's be clear. If they'd up the pace, if they'd wanted to, if they'd been better drilled and knew the new players better, Man Utd could have totally humiliated us last night.

Add that to failing to beat one of the worse teams in the league, 10 man unfit Watford at home...

Three people to blame:

1. Owner. Where's all the money?

2. Les Reid. Why are you building a mediocre team? Why sell? Why let an outstanding managerial team go and replace him with an unproven French one plan wonder.... Who's plan doesn't work with the crap players he has been told to use.

3. A managerial team led by Puel who have 8 good players to compete in the PL and Europe.

It's a joke - too many fans with heads in the sand holding on to hope rather than admitting the disaster about to happen.

It's time to find a buyer. A new owner fast. Our owner and Boardrooms luck just ran out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puels fault. 100% agree with you.

Let's be clear. If they'd up the pace, if they'd wanted to, if they'd been better drilled and knew the new players better, Man Utd could have totally humiliated us last night.

Add that to failing to beat one of the worse teams in the league, 10 man unfit Watford at home...

Three people to blame:

2. Les Reid. Why are you building a mediocre team? Why sell? Why let an outstanding managerial team go and replace him with an unproven French one plan wonder.... Who's plan doesn't work with the crap players he has been told to use.

3. A managerial team led by Puel who have 8 good players to compete in the PL and Europe.

It's a joke - too many fans with heads in the sand holding on to hope rather than admitting the disaster about to happen.

It's time to find a buyer. A new owner fast. Our owner and Boardrooms luck just ran out.

Pure speculative boll*cks. We were very much in the game until the dodgy pen. Admittedly heads dropped after that.

You want instant bankrolled success? Why bother supporting one team, just follow the money, I hear Wolves are throwing a few quid about!

saw the game on TV, really hard to judge ourselves with this game. IMO we held our own until a Davis howler, I mean wtf CLOSE THE FOOKIn player down. jeez Rooney had ages to cross I thought puel encouraged pressing, does that not apply around our own effing box. exactly what happened at anfield last season with mane the culprit then. momentary lapses in concentration WILL be punished by the big teams and half decent teams in the pl. anyway classie vs pogba was painful to watch, good to see j rod show some eagerness and bit of pace, maybe start him next time instead of long who BTW doesn't have an ounce of composure in front of goal its ridiculous.

Done ok to be honest but it was always men against boys.

We need a defensive mid though Hojberg deputised admirably but it restricts his other abilities when having to do so.

Signing an attacking midfielder won't solve our problems - it's the style of play and perhaps the understanding of it which means we only really create half chances. One player will not solve this and even if it does, what happens when that player is out?

Matt Targett was woefully out of position a few times tonight.

Quite easy to nullify Redmond... Show him into his left foot.

Body language didn't look great from some of the players too.

Just an observation.

That was exactly the same in our first away game last season, at Newcastle. When he plays, every manager knows all his team have to do to create chances is attack down our left flank.

Thought Redmond was pretty poor again tonight. So easy to defend against, always picks the wrong pass and gives it away and lacks a quality end product. A top six striker he is not.

Hoj and VVD by far our best players, Fonte was decent and Forster couldn't be blamed but the rest of them look bang average.

Struggle to see where the goals are coming from.

I think it is very sad that we point at players like Matt Targett. He is not getting the back up of who is in front of him and had to try and nullify Valencia who is tricky and very quick. Targett was one of the few players who actually got into crossing positions and tried to get the ball in the box.

It is also rich that fans who have been saying to me that we dont need to invest then criticise the young players coming in to the team to learn their trade. Get used to young players being inconsistant and looking lost in our first team, as that is the future, as we get the worst bits of a players development before they are sold at high prices to rival teams.

Thought Redmond was pretty poor again tonight. So easy to defend against, always picks the wrong pass and gives it away and lacks a quality end product. A top six striker he is not.

Hoj and VVD by far our best players, Fonte was decent and Forster couldn't be blamed but the rest of them look bang average.

Struggle to see where the goals are coming from.

we are going into the season, after finishing 3 points from the CL with a wide player who was in and out of a relegated Norwich side - AS our main striker

Three people to blame:

Same type of sh ite on several threads .....calm down you melt

But last season we had other players, probably better than those who have replaced them

We didn't only have other players, we had players on the pitch on positions where they have played pretty much their entire careers/lives.

Tadic and Redmond have been playing on the wings for 99% of their professional matches and now suddenly they play on a different position in a different role.

I have said this before on here, at Twente they tried to put Tadic at 10 but even in the Dutch league it became clear very quickly that Tadic ain't exactly a 10 and they moved him back to the wing after a few matches.

As a new manager you normally don't change a system this radically, either you ease it in or the old system the players were used to doesn't work anymore and you have to but what Puel is doing atm is utter madness and don't think I've ever seen this before.

A loss against United ain't a disaster and there's no guarantee we would have done better so far in the old system but it's clear as day that some of our players don't fit in this system and as long we don't have players who do have the qualities for it we shouldn't play it.

And this 'we have to give it time and let the players get used to it', which some are talking about, blows my mind. The league has started, these matches ain't friendlies and the points in the first matches are just as valuable as the rest of the season. Plus a bad start only adds more pressure so why on earth would a manager change so much? It didn't look good in the pre-season and still doesn't look good.

I just don't get it and seeing the interaction between players and Puel, I'm not sure if the players are happy with it all.

Three people to blame:

Lol, Im frustrated by the clubs direction, but to start calling for the club to be sold is a nonsense.

Im sure like myself that a couple of quality signings that give the squad and fans a lift would be ideal. The team were not that bad last night but it was a lack of cutting edge, add to that my concens that the squad is thin considering we have to play in Europe and many extra games. I remember Everton a few seasons back looking in a precarious position until they manged a late run to keep them out of real relegation problems

We didn't only have other players, we had players on the pitch on positions where they have played pretty much their entire careers/lives.

Tadic and Redmond have been playing on the wings for 99% of their professional matches and now suddenly they play on a different position in a different role.

I have said this before on here, at Twente they tried to put Tadic at 10 but even in the Dutch league it became clear very quickly that Tadic ain't exactly a 10 and they moved him back to the wing after a few matches.

As a new manager you normally don't change a system this radically, either you ease it in or the old system the players were used to doesn't work anymore and you have to but what Puel is doing atm is utter madness and don't think I've ever seen this before.

A loss against United ain't a disaster and there's no guarantee we would have done better so far in the old system but it's clear as day that some of our players don't fit in this system and as long we don't have players who do have the qualities for it we shouldn't play it.

And this 'we have to give it time and let the players get used to it', which some are talking about, blows my mind. The league has started, these matches ain't friendlies and the points in the first matches are just as valuable as the rest of the season. Plus a bad start only adds more pressure so why on earth would a manager change so much? It didn't look good in the pre-season and still doesn't look good.

I just don't get it and seeing the interaction between players and Puel, I'm not sure if the players are happy with it all.

A very good post. Worrying times indeed. The Board surely must have considered the appointment of Puel very carefully, surely ?

Although 1 point or 3 would have been good, I can't see any reason to be concerned about the result. Man U are, like we were last year, a top six side but they have strengthened their team whereas the best we can claim is that we've just about held our standard. We lost a player in a key position early in the game and Man U had home advantage. Just a case of drawing the blue line and moving on.

two games in and the normal doom and gloomers are on

didn't see the game but it seems like the saints fans camp is split,some saying we were ok apart from a decent striker and others saying we r relegation candidates.

tough season ahead,i believe as we cant keep selling our best players and losing managers and then say we've top ambitions to get into the champions league,etc.

we've not replaced vic or schneiderlan and that is going to hurt us the most.as there's no one in the squad to do their job protecting the back four.

it wouldn't be the same being a saints fan with all the ups and downs we go through but i'll say one thing,i'd rather be a saint than a plastic manc,scouse,or any other johhny come lately who only watches sky

A relegation scrap after three games?

Watford and Sunderland will finish between 18th-14th and if we fail to beat them at home I think we get dragged into it, I do not think we will go down but I think we will end up on 42-45 points, but if we end up with 2 points from 2 winnable home games that you need to get at least 4 points from its a bit of a joke and clear the managers system or himself is not good enough to help us stay close to what we have achieved the last 3 seasons.

Watford and Sunderland will finish between 18th-14th and if we fail to beat them at home I think we get dragged into it, I do not think we will go down but I think we will end up on 42-45 points, but if we end up with 2 points from 2 winnable home games that you need to get at least 4 points from its a bit of a joke and clear the managers system or himself is not good enough to help us stay close to what we have achieved the last 3 seasons.

Do people never learn? You cannot snapshot results like this. We didn't beat Villa at home last year, so does that mean we should have finished bottom half? We lost away to Norwich, we drew away at Newcastle. So, by that reckoning we should have been at best 16th.

Three things I find astonishing...

1. Why the mods are seemingly oblivious and haven't banned him.

2. Why people still continue to respond to him. Even sarcastic remarks about how 'hilarious' his routine is just feed his ego.

3. How an individual can be this utterly tragic. It's been like 12 years since he started with all the Hoddle stuff and he's still at it.

Why do people join forums if they don't respect the fact there will be opposing and different opinions there.

Stick to opinions and comment about the subject of the thread and please stop trolling individuals because they have the temerity to have an opinion different to yours.

How many teams these days play with a striker that doesn't offer anything else but being a good finisher?

Bit unfair to say he offers "nothing but finishing". That's clearly not true.

Has to start with Long IMO.

Three people to blame:

Completely agree mate. I hope I have it all wrong as have before but that's they way I'm reading it.

Pure speculative boll*cks. We were very much in the game until the dodgy pen. Admittedly heads dropped after that.

You want instant bankrolled success? Why bother supporting one team, just follow the money, I hear Wolves are throwing a few quid about!

agree with you ..hard for the manager has we lost two quality goalscorers mane,pelle and have yet to be replaced .united looked good and we gave them a good game and will not judge the manager until hes had time to gel his side.. early signs look promiseing and needs a couple of quality editions i think to make us a really top side again. we won,t be relegated thats for sure.

Why do people join forums if they don't respect the fact there will be opposing and different opinions there.

Stick to opinions and comment about the subject of the thread and please stop trolling individuals because they have the temerity to have an opinion different to yours.

Dalek doesn't have an opinion, he just posts nonsense about 17th and sleepwalking into relegation and has done continuously since we were promoted from League 1. Even when we were top of the Championship, he was talking about how the '45 point mark' usually ensures safety. It's not an opinion, it's meaningless, attention seeking drivel. He has even admitted in the past he's doing it to wind people up.

Sadly we don't seem to have mods anymore so this kind of sh*te goes unchecked.