At What Point Do You Say - Ok Now You Have To Pay For The Service

Gemmel

You don't. The service is free and will always be so. You cannot ever make that distinction on the basis that someone has made a dumb choice (no matter how many times)

Something similar happened with a guy who insisted on sailing with just a road atlas for navigation a few years back - he just kept on doing it. Can't remember the full story so I can't remember if they did anything about him to stop it happening again

I remember seeing something on telly the other day about a youtube 'prankster' filmed his next 'prank' of jumping off tower bridge. he nearly drowned and had to be rescued by the authorities.

he never paid a penny, which I thought was a disgrace to be fair

Who will decide whether some ones stupidity or perceived stupidity caused them to need assistance? Lawyers will have a field day, “where there’s a claim there’s blame”, and no one will win except them. The RNLI is a Charity, it rightly does not discriminate, it just gest on with what it was set up to do, save lives without making judgements or seeking reward. We could do with more of this attitude in a society that is becoming ever more litigious and blame seeking.

Who will decide whether some ones stupidity or perceived stupidity caused them to need assistance? Lawyers will have a field day, “where there’s a claim there’s blame”, and no one will win except them. The RNLI is a Charity, it rightly does not discriminate, it just gest on with what it was set up to do, save lives without making judgements or seeking reward. We could do with more of this attitude in a society that is becoming ever more litigious and blame seeking.

i think if someone clearly plans to jump off a bridge for publicity knowing full well the dangers associated, they should pay the penalty when the RNLI, the Police or whoever is called out to rescue them. Just my opinion.

i think if someone clearly plans to jump off a bridge for publicity knowing full well the dangers associated, they should pay the penalty when the RNLI, the Police or whoever is called out to rescue them. Just my opinion.

Trouble is once Lawyers are involved it is not quite so clear cut and we all end up paying one way or another.

I remember seeing something on telly the other day about a youtube 'prankster' filmed his next 'prank' of jumping off tower bridge. he nearly drowned and had to be rescued by the authorities.

he never paid a penny, which I thought was a disgrace to be fair

He donated his ad revenue from the YouTube video to the RNLI, it said later in the programme. He should have been locked up in a padded cell for thinking that jumping into the Thames from Tower Bridge was a good idea.

The RNLI, Coastguard or mountain rescue won't charge for a rescue as it will put people off from calling them and possibly endanger more lives as others go to rescue them.