The Pathway

thorpie the sinner

I watched the U23's last night and was very impressed by our youngsters. Stephens really impressed as did Thomas O'Connor, just wondered if any, Stephens especially who might be able to make the jump to first team this year. Stephens has bided his time and is beginning to look the real deal. Too early to replace Fonte if he goes? Also impressed with Alfie Jones the times I have seen him. Quite excited about potential and just wondered who else might be really close to stepping up?

I watched the U23's last night and was very impressed by our youngsters. Stephens really impressed as did Thomas O'Connor, just wondered if any, Stephens especially who might be able to make the jump to first team this year. Stephens has bided his time and is beginning to look the real deal. Too early to replace Fonte if he goes? Also impressed with Alfie Jones the times I have seen him. Quite excited about potential and just wondered who else might be really close to stepping up?

Last nights game was a great watch. I really enjoyed it. Pretty much everyone played well - I'd keep an eye on Tyreke Johnson though. 17 years old.

If we can keep that standard up, I'm very interested in seeing how we would get on in the EFL Trophy this year.

Question I would ask is whether or not JWP offers more than Hesketh??

Saw a full replay of the game and I thought it was more entertaining than some Prem games seen so far this season. Both CBs were good; Reed was the busy organiser - Olomola looks like he could turn into another Emile Heskey, Sims was lively, Johnson looks a likely type - but to answer your question...Yes, Hesketh offers much more than JWP; that left footed shot alone is a skill JWP just doesn't have. Watching this game made me wonder about the amount of money and time the Club has poured into JWP with such little return. The time must be coming when some of these U/23 players go past him in the pecking order and it won't be before time.

I don't get all the Hesketh love. He's ok, but what you gain in his technical abilities you lose from his relative frailty. Another example of people bigging up a player when the reality is that against senior pros he is likely to get leaned off everything. Ward-Prowse has far better strength, and just started to show some forward passing options in preseason which suggest he's still developing his game. He's tended to make big leaps forward when focusing on specific things, like when he suddenly became good at free kicks one summer...

He'll get plenty of matches in the Prem/Europa weeks as Højbjerg is ahead of him and we have the option to rotate players with a decent level of Prem experience for some with more European knowledge.

I don't get all the Hesketh love. He's ok, but what you gain in his technical abilities you lose from his relative frailty. Another example of people bigging up a player when the reality is that against senior pros he is likely to get leaned off everything. Ward-Prowse has far better strength, and just started to show some forward passing options in preseason which suggest he's still developing his game. He's tended to make big leaps forward when focusing on specific things, like when he suddenly became good at free kicks one summer...

He'll get plenty of matches in the Prem/Europa weeks as Højbjerg is ahead of him and we have the option to rotate players with a decent level of Prem experience for some with more European knowledge.

Nine, I take your point about Hesketh's physique, which might count against his progress - but I cannot share your optimism about Prowsey even if he is peservered with at Prem level.

Saw a full replay of the game and I thought it was more entertaining than some Prem games seen so far this season. Both CBs were good; Reed was the busy organiser - Olomola looks like he could turn into another Emile Heskey, Sims was lively, Johnson looks a likely type - but to answer your question...Yes, Hesketh offers much more than JWP; that left footed shot alone is a skill JWP just doesn't have. Watching this game made me wonder about the amount of money and time the Club has poured into JWP with such little return. The time must be coming when some of these U/23 players go past him in the pecking order and it won't be before time.

Not true. JWP scored with an instinctive left foot shot in the preseason. Hesketh hasn't show any dead ball skill (he may have some but it's not going to be as practised as JWPs) I do think most of the 20/21 yr olds are good enough to be given season debuts though. Hesketh included.

The " Pathway " leads to a crossroads....and that's when we sort out the men from the boys. The gap between the (former) U21 sides and the real-time Prem. is enormous and many players (like Sam Gallagher for instance).. only get their chances when there is an injury crisis, or dramatic form-loss by the regular first choice.

I recall a couple of seasons ago when James Wilson showed up well in an MU side and scored a few goals, but now he is (I think) at Brighton? Bit of a come-down.

Will be interesting to see if Marcus Rashford can make the start eleven regularly with Mourinho at the helm.?

Of course it's good to see the " home-growns " making the grade, like JWP (who despite his Saints critics, has captained the England U21s and established himself as one of the best - at his age level.) and has clocked up 100+ Prem.apps. More recently Matt Targett has come in and DAJFU without too much fuss, or failure.

(Justified or not, the criticism levelled at JWP reminded me of that which Adam Lallana experienced in the early days, before he really established himself).

The only real exception to this trend being Luke Shaw who looked very good as part of a Saints Prem. side, before he moved onto MU.

Most of those who followed Walcott and Co. to other Prem.clubs, made their reputations in our Championship days - (both before and after the Liebherr takeover.)

Like many others on here who have commented on those up-and-coming who have made it through the youth ranks, I long to see some of our home-growns getting a chance, and even if it means that we don't reach the dizzy heights of last seasons 6th place, if anyone can exploit this "untapped talent" - it surely must be Claude Puel.