Commentator phrase that annoy or nobody else says

whelk

Saw Danny Baker commenting on saying difference between the two teams was the 'quality on the final third' and how no supporter would ever say such a phrase.

There are loads of others I'm sure.

'By his standards that's a decent chance' is one as if acceptable that another player would miss.

Or just annoying things that have crept in - no commentator ever seems to say 'so far' anymore and been replaced by 'thus far'

The stupid 'early doors' coined by Hoddle I believe is now a standard term.

'Game management' is one on the rise.

Life's too short I know,

Saw Danny Baker commenting on saying difference between the two teams was the 'quality on the final third' and how no supporter would ever say such a phrase.

There are loads of others I'm sure.

'By his standards that's a decent chance' is one as if acceptable that another player would miss.

Or just annoying things that have crept in - no commentator ever seems to say 'so far' anymore and been replaced by 'thus far'

The stupid 'early doors' coined by Hoddle I believe is now a standard term.

'Game management' is one on the rise.

Life's too short I know,

Early doors was Big Ron Atkinson first, which suggests it goes way back. He was using it when Hoddle was still playing, for some reason it became a football version of "early days".

I basically hate anything Jonathan Pearce says, and rather than having a problem with specific phrases it's the overall desperate need to try and make events match a pre-formed narrative that annoys me. Viz Paul Pogba apparently being superb on Friday when my eyes told me he made 2 decent runs in tight space and gave the ball away A LOT for a bloke in a defensive midfield position.

I think Ron Atkinson was the first user of "early doors" presumably from the theatre / Cinema days .

Worst for me has always been Motson and his " the last thing Saints need to do is to concede a goal now , oh 0-1"

A Dave Merrington special, the" what Saints don't want to do... ".

Clive Tyldesley's near constant use of 'messrs'...messrs Lampard and Terry. Messrs Rooney and Ferdinand. Messrs corner and flag.

I know it's puerile on my part, but I don't care.

Edit: I've just noticed the word 'phrase'.

Edited by Donatello

Both from last week.

"in and around". It's spectacularly idiotic, as well as nonsensical. Probably began with "in and around the penalty area" which makes sense, but is now just a synonym for "near". So you get pearlers like "Rooney's going to play in and around Zlatan". Sounds painful.

Pluralising players names, particularly when prefaced by "your". "Man United have got difference-makers in their team, your Pogbas, your Zlatans, your Martials". Presumably supposed to be "...such as Pogba, Zlatan and Martial". Again, nonsensical, especially when the point of highlighting the player in question is to demonstrate that there is only one of them.

Townsend uses both with astonishing regularity, which is always the yardstick of idiocy.

"The ageless Dennis Wise, now in his thirties" - Martin Tyler

"Like so many of the current Chelsea team, Zola is unique" Harry Venison

These quotes are off the back cover of 'The Chelsea Miscellany' which I bought for £1.99 from the Oxfam shop as a present for Chelsea supporter

Already mentioned but footballer's grammar does my head in, how come so many of them speak the same way?

"He's one of them players."

"He's came out for the ball."

Because historically they spent their time playing football and not being in school. The advent of proper full time academies and a more responsible approach to young player education, media training and the need to retain lots of tactical information has lowered the likelihood of thick footballers, but there will still be thick footballers for as long as natural talent and application irrespective of brainpower still has a place, and there's Harry Kane to prove it.

I've noticed one or two commentators using the word "smuggled" quite a bit, it seems like a fairly recent addition to the tater's dictionary. Unless I'm mistaken.

"He's smuggled the ball into the net."

"The boy's tried to smuggle it through the gap."

Smuggling?? Are they shoving it up their shirts or disguising the ball to look like turf?

"stone wall penalty..." which pretty much everyone says these days

"almost done enough to..."

I am sure there are plenty more..

"Stonewall" always gets my goat. I have never heard it used in any other context and I don't think it ever meant "certain" until these cretins started repeating each other's nonsense.

I hate it when Journo's start going on about "mind games"

Do shut up you plebs

Would you prefer they used the phrase "psychological warefare?

Mine would be "He's got quick feet." If someone had quick feet but slow legs they would end up on their arse every few minutes.

"If this was a boxing match they'd have won on points" is one that usually gets me throwing things at the TV. Also, "He rolled him there..." Rolled him in what, flour? Just say he turned him, although not a great alternative it's better than "rolled him" FFS!

I still hate "gone to ground". Hate it.

It's a phrase with a very specific meaning (lay low/gone into hiding) that has been hijacked by commentator and pundit idiots to mean fall over/hit the ground.

Effing idiocy. That's my blood boiler anyway.