Chaplow Gets Homophobic Match Ban

pluto

I do wonder sometimes with hate crimes that there isn't someone who wants to make a name or set example that will not be tolerated.

And of course others will pile on to show how liberated and tolerant they are calling for a hanging.

Kevin O'Sullivan recent case would appear to show how much some want it to be seen to be taken seriously

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/what-happened-when-i-was-charged-with-a-hate-crime/

No defence for the player, his action or any intent to provoke, but some of the media handling of the story, like " former Saints star in homo slur " etc.

Although RC played a number of excellent games for Saints (in their L1 / Championship days), I think using the word "star" is a bit far fetched.

He played 47 games as a Saints player + a couple of dozen more whilst on loan, but the largest chunks of his 300+ game English career were with 6 others clubs which included Burnley and Preston, (who Saints eventually signed him from) prior to our promotion back to the Prem.

Was this headline purely because Saints are a Prem. club?.....

For the record ...Chaplow left Saints after New Year during our first season back up in the top tier, and " his Premiership career " was composed of a handful of shorter substitute apps. off the bench .

It really is stretching credulity to run storylines like this to attract attention, and "taint" SFC in some way with his recent outburst. Very poor journalism IMO.

Edited by david in sweden

Is queer a term of abuse now?

One of William S Burroughs early autobiographical novels was titled Queer. I've also heard gay men refer to themselves or each other as queer. Perhaps it's only a term of abuse if someone straight is using it.

No defence for the player, his action or any intent to provoke, but some of the media handling of the story, like " former Saints star in homo slur " etc.

Although RC played a number of excellent games for Saints (in their L1 / Championship days), I think using the word "star" is a bit far fetched.

He played 47 games as a Saints player + a couple of dozen more whilst on loan, but the largest chunks of his 300+ game English career were with 6 others clubs which included Burnley and Preston, (who Saints eventually signed him from) prior to our promotion back to the Prem.

Was this headline purely because Saints are a Prem. club?.....

For the record ...Chaplow left Saints after New Year during our first season back up in the top tier, and " his Premiership career " was composed of a handful of shorter substitute apps. off the bench .

It really is stretching credulity to run storylines like this to attract attention, and "taint" SFC in some way with his recent outburst. Very poor journalism IMO.

I'd suggest the only media outlet that used a reference to SFC in its headline is the Southern Daily Echo for spectacularly obvious reasons. There's certainly no widespread linking to SFC to this story anywhere, apart from appearing in his "he played for..." list bit in each report, which is fair enough. He did.

And "star" is used by every newspaper on earth every day forever as a shorthand for "player" regardless of club, appearances or general star quality.

I think the only thing "stretching credulity" is you desperately trying to a make a news story that has nothing to do with us and has been reported everywhere as having nothing to do with us as being part of some media conspiracy against us.

You're about 90 years old but some of your posts suggest you've never seen a newspaper story before. Are you are high court judge or something?

maybe damage control, but two sides...

Chaplow has admitted swearing at Rodgers but denied using homophobic abuse.

"I have been banned for swearing at a player, not homophobic slurs," Chaplow told the Daily Telegraph.

"At no point in the statement is a homophobic slur made reference to, and the simple reason for this is it didn't happen.

"I swore several times at Rogers for over reacting to a foul, but at no time was the language homophobic and no evidence has been found of this, hence the way the statement has been wrote.

"I feel it's important that people realise what the ban is for.

"I have a close family member that is openly part of LGBT community so to suggest I'm homophobic is ridiculous and there is no evidence to support this."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12096/10550548/richard-chaplow-banned-for

Is queer a term of abuse now?

While people say it is, I'm not so sure, not least as I can't keep up with PC'dom.

The reason I am not sure, is because LBGT (lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender) seems now to have added a bit more on and is sometimes LBGTQI (or LBGTQQI) where "Q" is queer/questioning and "I" is intersex.

However, as in all these cases, intent should be taken into account. It rarely is, but in this case, there was intent to be derogatory.

I'd suggest the only media outlet that used a reference to SFC in its headline is the Southern Daily Echo for spectacularly obvious reasons. There's certainly no widespread linking to SFC to this story anywhere, apart from appearing in his "he played for..." list bit in each report, which is fair enough. He did.

And "star" is used by every newspaper on earth every day forever as a shorthand for "player" regardless of club, appearances or general star quality.

I think the only thing "stretching credulity" is you desperately trying to a make a news story that has nothing to do with us and has been reported everywhere as having nothing to do with us as being part of some media conspiracy against us.

You're about 90 years old but some of your posts suggest you've never seen a newspaper story before. Are you are high court judge or something?

I am nowhere near 90 ...yet, and I didn't say there was a conspiracy, merely that the media using the name of a Prem.club only " juices up " the story for their readership.

Sadly, I've seen far too many newspaper stories that use oblique references to heighten the importance of an occurance. Did he say that ...or what did he say?

My only regret is that what is really a "non-story" maybe seen to reflect badly on the club, by someone who was, at best.... just another player who left 4 years ago.

we're all entitled to an opinion, and you've given yours.

Shame when certain posters, or poster just reinforces their stereotype.

Can't say anything these days can you. You want to head into Soho shouting queer, fill your boots. Good luck with that.

What on earth are you going on about?

I even re read the thread twice and I am still lost

I am nowhere near 90 ...yet, and I didn't say there was a conspiracy, merely that the media using the name of a Prem.club only " juices up " the story for their readership.

Sadly, I've seen far too many newspaper stories that use oblique references to heighten the importance of an occurance. Did he say that ...or what did he say?

My only regret is that what is really a "non-story" maybe seen to reflect badly on the club, by someone who was, at best.... just another player who left 4 years ago.

we're all entitled to an opinion, and you've given yours.

Which media outlet has used the name of our club to "juice up" their story?

Google search Chaplow name and of the various reports of this incident none of them lead with Southampton in their heading or sub heading, just listed as standard as one of the clubs he's played for in the body copy, usually with Burnley and West Bromwich.

No outlet has used SFC to "juice it up". Not the BBC, not the Sun, the Mirror, the Independent, the Telegraph or Sky Sports. None of them. And nothing to reflect badly on SFC just like it doesn't reflect badly on Burnley either.

Sorry, not my opinion. Facts.

And quite frankly the incident doesn't "reflect badly" on the club he's playing for now, let alone any club he played for years ago. It's just Richard Chaplow looking like an idiot all by himself.

You often come out with tosh but you've excelled yourself here.

Edited by CB Fry

Which media outlet has used the name of our club to "juice up" their story?

Google search Chaplow name and of the various reports of this incident none of them lead with Southampton in their heading or sub heading, just listed as standard as one of the clubs he's played for in the body copy, usually with Burnley and West Bromwich.

No outlet has used SFC to "juice it up". Not the BBC, not the Sun, the Mirror, the Independent, the Telegraph or Sky Sports. None of them. And nothing to reflect badly on SFC just like it doesn't reflect badly on Burnley either.

Sorry, not my opinion. Facts.

And quite frankly the incident doesn't "reflect badly" on the club he's playing for now, let alone any club he played for years ago. It's just Richard Chaplow looking like an idiot all by himself.

You often come out with tosh but you've excelled yourself here.

The BBC did start off using Southampton in the headline and have since changed it but there is a record

https://web.archive.org/web/20160825015616/http://www.bbc.com/sport/football