Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

€25m or £21.2m the Telegraph is saying...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/25/southampton-set-to-sign-lille-forward-sofiane-boufal-for-212m/

Southampton are poised to break their transfer record after agreeing a £21.2 million (25 million euros) fee with Lille for Morocco forward Sofiane Boufal.

Their previous record is the £15 million that was paid for Dani Osvaldo, but agreement has now been reached with Claude Puel’s former club Lille for the 22-year-old Boufal.

The deal is expected to be completed early next week and will also allow Jay Rodriguez to move to West Bromwich Albion on loan.

Boufal, who can play either out wide or as a Number 10, scored 11 goals last season in what was his breakthrough season in Ligue 1 but has been out with a knee injury since May and is not expected to return until next month.

Born in Paris to Moroccan parents, he came through the youth system at Angers before moving to Lille in January 2015 where he won the award for Best African Player in Ligue 1.

The imminent arrival of Boufal follows the sales this summer of Victor Wanyama, Sadio Mane and Graziano Pelle. Southampton added Charlie Austin in January as well as Nathan Redmond this summer, while Wanyame was replaced by the former Bayern Munich midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg. Southampton are also adamant that Jose Fonte will not be sold amid interest from Manchester United, with the club captain having been offered a new contract worth around £70,000-a-week.

United have not as yet made any contact with Southampton over Fonte but Jose Mourinho is believed still to be looking for one more centre-back to complete his squad. After yet another spending spree this summer, United are now looking first to sell before they buy and so an offer for Fonte is more likely very late in the transfer window if they have offloaded some players.

Fonte has played more than 250 games for Southampton since joining from Crystal Palace for £800,000 in 2010 and has established himself over the past four years as one of the most reliable centre-backs in the Premier League.

Our response to flogging off Mane and Pelle for loads if dosh and leaving us toothless : buy someone for loads of dosh who is injured and will probably end up missing half the season because of aforementioned injury and Afcon.

Totally f**king inspired :facepalm:

Wouldn't you be happier supporting someone else? Or maybe getting interested in a different sport?

Our response to flogging off Mane and Pelle for loads if dosh and leaving us toothless : buy someone for loads of dosh who is injured and will probably end up missing half the season because of aforementioned injury and Afcon.

Keep seeing this being posted.

If he is injured wtf would he be off to AFCON?

Wouldn't you be happier supporting someone else? Or maybe getting interested in a different sport?

Imagine living with someone like him. What a joyless basta$d he is. One of those people that brings everyone down with him. He should have been drowned at birth.

Where is this "law" in place, then?

Certainly not on this forum.

If anything there's more criticism of the club for stuff they either are or aren't already doing, or can't do anything about anyway, than anywhere else I've seen (except maybe the Echo comments section, and who the hell would want to go in there a second time?).

It would be subject to medical remember. Reading between the lines, Saints have another option in Stanciu, in the unlikely event that the medical should fail. Subject to the usual YouTube compilation disclaimer, this bloke Boufal looks really good. All positive.

Because his sources are excellent probably.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. What Jim White gets told (or indeed what his very reliable sources get told) and what's actually happening aren't always the same thing. Depends if he's being fed a line to make someone else take notice.

Anyway...

e4a3027136302c12b5a038e6e0830adb.jpg

At least you can stop complaining about the club 'cashing in' now so that's one less thing for you to worry about.

Keep seeing this being posted.

If he is injured wtf would he be off to AFCON?

I think the idea is that he's injured now, but will have recovered just in time to go to the AfCoN. Because obviously he wouldn't have needed to be any good for us in between those two things.

Plus as noted previously, even if Morocco won the thing, due to the FA Cup dates, he might only actually miss 2 or 3 Prem matches.

Boufal will be a great signing which will soothe the worries of many supporters including me. I presume he is the replacement for Mane, who is nearly irreplaceable but this guy looks the goods. What now then? Who else comes in, another forward? A centre-back? I guess the push for Stanciu is now over. Win on Saturday and things start to look better.

My Son told me 4 months ago that Saints would sign Boufal. He also got VVD correct. He's 11 years old. He works out the players on FIFA and then analyses them. Berahino is also on his list.

Andy, has your son told you that JWP isn't as good a player as you have thought him to be?

One step closer to skate like financial meltdown?

Apparently so, line has been crossed financial doom is now inevitable.

My Son told me 4 months ago that Saints would sign Boufal. He also got VVD correct. He's 11 years old. He works out the players on FIFA and then analyses them. Berahino is also on his list.

The black box is just the FIFA and Football manager databases combined, if both say a player is good, we go for him.

I would be very happy if he gets Berahino correct, but I still say that one won't happen.

Does your son spend his days sitting in a black box in Staplewood by any chance?

It would be subject to medical remember. Reading between the lines, Saints have another option in Stanciu, in the unlikely event that the medical should fail. Subject to the usual YouTube compilation disclaimer, this bloke Boufal looks really good. All positive.

We've got previous for spending loads on crocks who never ever then seem to play - Delgado, Charlie George, Perry Groves, Hirst and Osvaldo, just off the top of my head. And why shouldn't Alpine be allowed to express an opinion with out all the bullying he then comes in for? It is after all a forum.......

We've got previous for spending loads on crocks who never ever then seem to play - Delgado, Charlie George, Perry Groves, Hirst and Osvaldo, just off the top of my head. And why shouldn't Alpine be allowed to express an opinion with out all the bullying he then comes in for? It is after all a forum.......

Not sure he can be labelled a crock. Mentalist on the other hand...!

Love it. My 6 year old had FIFA 16 at Christmas, did a career mode with Saints and his first two signings were Austin and Redmond. His 3rd and 4th were Oxlade-Chamberlain and Dries Mertens ......

Show me anything in my post which can remotely be called bullying.

You've had to go back a long way to find "crocks" and I wouldn't call Osvaldo a crock, just a poor buy.

I will be calling him Poo-fal.

It makes you wonder how the medical is done with a player that is injured as we obviously can't put him through his paces completely. I read that he is approaching fitness again though.

They are looking for long term medical problems, like hereditary hip and knee problems, in a medical.

Apparently we always buy a player who received a 'Team of the Year in Ultimate Team'???

Apparently that signals the player we have bought has had a good season.

I don't think I was bullying! I was just asking why he and others think Boufal will be too crocked to play for us and then jet off to the AFCON which now apparently last six months, without playing any football for over a year!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Andy, has your son told you that JWP isn't as good a player as you have thought him to be?

On my FM 15 JWP is my captain and free kick taker and is the captain of England and is proberly one of the best mids on the game :D. when i finish work in a couple of hours and get home, ill take a screen shot of his attributes. When he hits 24 + he becomes an amazing player. i have played him every game till now ( 2020 ) and he is up there with the best :D

Ryan Seager also becomes amazing too :D

Just to clarify.

Boufal only has 2 caps for Morocco he was called up for the last game a 1-1 draw with Libya.

But just to do my bit for Saintsweb I am actually going on holiday to Marrakesh and Agadir from Friday so I will conduct a survey of bar men, taxi drivers, doormen and blokes trying to sell me sh*t to get their thoughts on Boufal and his chances of going to the Afcon.

Mane said that when he turned up he realised he had to put on a lot of weight and improve his strength to adapt to the league.

Don't see this fella doing that so it might take more time than usual for him to get used to the league (and once he's over the injury

- see Clasie).

Just to clarify.

Boufal only has 2 caps for Morocco he was called up for the last game a 1-1 draw with Libya.

But just to do my bit for Saintsweb I am actually going on holiday to Marrakesh and Agadir from Friday so I will conduct a survey of bar men, taxi drivers, doormen and blokes trying to sell me sh*t to get their thoughts on Boufal and his chances of going to the Afcon.

I think saying he won't go to the tournament because he's not good enough to make the squad is not the kind of argument that will convince Alpine to calm down.

Reckon you should get in touch with Les Reed, if he is doing that at 11, then what could he do later, sound like your boy has great vision.

This is the post I've been waiting for, confirmation that this will prove to be an excellent signing.