Points Record

Minsk

Okay, so here we are, 3 games in and a much divided fan base as to how we will do this season. What we do know is that the previous 2 seasons we have broken our highest points total in the premier league. In addition, as we all know, we have improved our league position year after year for the past 7 seasons. Obviously, the more points we get the higher our position should be. Therefore, I have decided to do a running comparison with last season.

Now, there are 2 ways in which I could do this: by comparative match-day results/points or by the comparative matches from last season. So I shall do both, just to be fair to those on each side of the fence. Of course there are 3 different teams this season, so I shall substitute those results in the following way (when they eventually come about): Burnley for Newcastle; Middlesborough for Norwich; Hull for Villa. Here goes then:

Match day comparison:

Last season our first three matches yielded 2 points.

These were from away draws against Newcastle and Watford. In between those matches we lost at home to Everton.

This season we also have 2 points.

These were (as we know) from our home matches against Watford and Sunderland, with the loss away at Man Utd.

Therefore, using this criteria, we are exactly on the same points as this time last season and it looks as if we should be able to at least match last seasons points total. Except, perhaps, that at this stage last season we gad played 2 away matches and only 1 at home; the opposite to this tear.

Match by Match comparison:

As we are all fully aware, so far this season we have drawn at home against Watford and Sunderland and lost away to Man Utd; yielding us 2 points.

In the comparative matches last season we won at home against Watford and away to Man Utd, whilst also drawing at home against Sunderland. This gave us 7 points.

Therefore, with this criteria we are 5 points down on last season; thus we would do well to achieve a season's total of 58 points - which would have seen us finish 9th last season.

I shall endeavor to update this thread on a match by match basis. So, looking ahead, our next match is match day 4 away at Arsenal. Last season we got 3 points from match day 4 and drew away at Arsenal. Let's hope we replicate at least one of those results!

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 4 - Arsenal away (lost 2-1)

A much better all round performance by Saints. We really deserved at least a draw. However, we were robbed by (surprise, surprise) a completely ridiculous injury time penalty awarded by the utterly incompetent Robert Madely.

Match Day Comparison:

We now have 2 points from 4 matches. At this stage last season we had 5 points from the same 4 matches (2 home/2 away).

3 point deficit

Match by Match Comparison:

Last season we drew away to Arsenal. Therefore we are a further point down compared to last season's fixtures.

6 point deficit

Next up in the PL - Swansea at home

We beat Swansea at home last season - 3-1 - whilst we drew our 5th PL match 0-0 away at WBA

Of course, prior to our match against the Swans is our first Europa group match of the campaign - at home to Sparta Prague. A win there could well set us up for a string of such results!

Seeing as we've played Man U and Arsenal away and lost them, I'm not too bothered so far. We're doing ok, haven't had the run of the ball, playing without the record signing who's clearly meant to help us create more chances and we've missed a few chances - the odd bounce or decision here and there and we'd be a few points better off - that stuff's going to happen some times and sooner or later we'll have a game where we have 2 shots on target and score them both and win... like Arsenal did on Saturday.

Seeing as we've played Man U and Arsenal away and lost them, I'm not too bothered so far. We're doing ok, haven't had the run of the ball, playing without the record signing who's clearly meant to help us create more chances and we've missed a few chances - the odd bounce or decision here and there and we'd be a few points better off - that stuff's going to happen some times and sooner or later we'll have a game where we have 2 shots on target and score them both and win... like Arsenal did on Saturday.

Just enough to keep us up ? 17th looks a good bet !

Match Day 5 - home to Swansea - Won 1-0

IMHO, I think this was our best performance of the season so far and we could well have won by a more comfortable margin. Such as the one against Sparta (3-0) which, as mentioned above, I said I hoped would send us on a winning streak. :) So, how do these three points stand up in comparison against last season?

Match Day Comparison:

We are now on 5 from 5. Last season we were on 6 points from our first 5 matches. Therefore, just the....

1 point deficit

As with last season, we secured all three points at home to the Swans. Meaning (the best we could hope for this week) we remain on a....

6 point deficit

Next up in the PL - away to West Ham (who have lost their previous two matches 4-2 - can we make it a hat-trick?) Last season we lost away to the Irons (2-1) and also lost on match day 6 - (2-3) at home to Man Utd. Thus we have a great opportunity on Sunday to claw back some (or even overtake on the match day comparison) points deficits.

Prior to that though is the minor matter of a league cup match at home to Palace. I am sure Puel will make lots of changes for that one. Indeed, I am expecting at least 9 and possibly even a full 11 from the Swansea match. It will be most interesting to see who he gives a run-out to; but that is for another tread.......

Enjoying this thread Minsk, keep it up. What happens when we play a promoted side. Will it be 3rd bottom = 1st from Champ, 2nd bottom = 2nd etc?

Cheers Minsk, really appreciate your efforts.

Cheers guys. It's nice to know someone else appreciates this and I'm not just doing it for my own benefit. :)

To answer your question Ottawa, I will do the following: Burnley for Newcastle; Middlesborough for Norwich; Hull for Villa

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I just had a very busy week and missed the weekly update. Therefore, I'll cover the past 2 games here.

First up, Match day 6, West Ham away - won 3-0!

In all honesty, we could (and probably should) have won this even more comfortably. Never really troubled in defence and tore them apart with some very slick play going forward; well, after the first 30 minutes anyway. it's always great to get 3 points away from home and, for some reason, it seems sweeter (to me at least) when it is from the Hammers (almost as good as from the Skates or Spurs, but not quite).

Match Day Comparison:

These 3 points put us on 8 from 6 matches. Last season we were only on 6 points from the first 6 matches.

2 points up on last season!

Last season we lost 2-1 away to West Ham. Therefore, we have clawed back 3 points here. Putting us now on a.....

3 point deficit

As we now know, the West Ham match was followed by a trip to Israel in the Europa league. That match (0-0) saw us extend our unbeaten run to 5 matches having kept clean sheets in each of them. Could we keep this up away to the champions (Leicester) in our next league match?

Match Day 7 - Leicester away - drew 0-0

Yes! We did continue our unbeaten run and our impressive number of consecutive clean sheets keeps on going. Unfortunately we have failed to score in the past 2 matches also. However, whereas the Be'er Sheva match was very forgettable in this one we had the better chances and should have won. Anyway, what does this result do to our points comparison?

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 7 - 3-1 at home to Swansea, which gave us 9 points from the first 7 matches. This point puts us on the same 9 from 7.

Level with last season

Last season we lost 1-0 away to the Foxes, so we have an improvement of 1 point; giving us an overall......

2 point deficit

On the face of it, things really aren't too different from last season as they stand right now. Personally, I still really wish we had made one more decent striking acquisition during the summer. I hope JRod and Boufal will be ready to play after the international break (although I feel the latter will take some time yet to gain match fitness).

We now have a 2 week break for internationals. Afterwards we have a home match against Burnley. Last season we won match day 8 (3-1) away to Chelsea. As Burnley are newly promoted I shall be comparing our matches with them to last seasons results versus Newcastle, who we beat 3-1 at St Mary's.

Sorry guys, I just had a very busy week and missed the weekly update. Therefore, I'll cover the past 2 games here.

First up, Match day 6, West Ham away - won 3-0!

In all honesty, we could (and probably should) have won this even more comfortably. Never really troubled in defence and tore them apart with some very slick play going forward; well, after the first 30 minutes anyway. it's always great to get 3 points away from home and, for some reason, it seems sweeter (to me at least) when it is from the Hammers (almost as good as from the Skates or Spurs, but not quite).

Match Day Comparison:

These 3 points put us on 8 from 6 matches. Last season we were only on 6 points from the first 6 matches.

2 points up on last season!

Last season we lost 2-1 away to West Ham. Therefore, we have clawed back 3 points here. Putting us now on a.....

3 point deficit

As we now know, the West Ham match was followed by a trip to Israel in the Europa league. That match (0-0) saw us extend our unbeaten run to 5 matches having kept clean sheets in each of them. Could we keep this up away to the champions (Leicester) in our next league match?

Match Day 7 - Leicester away - drew 0-0

Yes! We did continue our unbeaten run and our impressive number of consecutive clean sheets keeps on going. Unfortunately we have failed to score in the past 2 matches also. However, whereas the Be'er Sheva match was very forgettable in this one we had the better chances and should have won. Anyway, what does this result do to our points comparison?

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 7 - 3-1 at home to Swansea, which gave us 9 points from the first 7 matches. This point puts us on the same 9 from 7.

Level with last season

Last season we lost 1-0 away to the Foxes, so we have an improvement of 1 point; giving us an overall......

2 point deficit

On the face of it, things really aren't too different from last season as they stand right now. Personally, I still really wish we had made one more decent striking acquisition during the summer. I hope JRod and Boufal will be ready to play after the international break (although I feel the latter will take some time yet to gain match fitness).

We now have a 2 week break for internationals. Afterwards we have a home match against Burnley. Last season we won match day 8 (3-1) away to Chelsea. As Burnley are newly promoted I shall be comparing our matches with them to last seasons results versus Newcastle, who we beat 3-1 at St Mary's.

Very interesting.

Of course it was our storming last 10 fixtures that transformed a rather average season into a successful one.

• 3 weeks later...

Match Day 8 - Burnley Home - Won 3-1

Another match which seemed to start rather flat but one in which we got better and better as it went on. To say we 'only' scored 3 may sound a bit churlish but without an incredible performance by Tom Heaton we could have easily matched the eight we put past Sunderland last season. A pity about the penalty which put an end to our run of clean sheets.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also won Match Day 8 by a 3-1 scoreline, except it was away to Chelsea. Therefore we remain on the same 12 points from 8 matches we had at this stage last season.

Level points

Match by Match Comparison

I have substituted Burnley for Newcastle for the sake of this comparison and, funnily enough, we also beat Newcastle 3-1 at home last season. Therefore we remain at a....

2 point deficit

Next up is trip to the Etihad to face Citeh; after a little little jaunt over to the San Siro to take on Inter, that is.

Last season we lost 3-1 away to the blue half of Manchester; whilst we drew Match Day 9 (2-2) at home to the champions elect, Leicester.

Match Day 9 - Man City away - Drew 1-1

After an agonising trip out to the San Siro, where we dominated the match but somehow managed to lose 1-0, Saints visited top-of-the-table Citeh at the Eithad. This time it was a deserved 1-1 draw, with some excellent defending, and we even had a chance or two to nick the win.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also drew match day 9, 2-2 at home to Leicester. Therefore we remain on.....

Level Points

Last season we were soundly beaten, 3-1, up there. A much better display, and result, now sees us with just the...

1 point deficit

Next up is a home match against a Chelsea side which has just battered Man Utd by 4-0; after a mid-week league cup match against Sunderland that is.

Last season we lost, 2-1, at home to Chelsea; whilst match day 10 saw us take a point away from Anfield. If we get a draw in this one we will be exactly level pegging with last season's points tallies on both counts; whereas, of course, a win will see us exceed them.......

Match Day 10 - Chelsea Home - Lost 2-0

After a stunning full home debute goal from Boufal saw us into the last 8 of the League Cup (and an away draw to Arsenal) Saints sadly missed out on the chance to equal or better their points record for the same period last season.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we drew Match Day 10 (1-1) away to Liverpool, which means we are now one point worse off........

1 point deficit

Last season we also lost at home to Chelsea (2-1) but at least managed a consolation goal. So no difference, still a........

1 point deficit

Next up is an away trip to Hull; who, for these purposes, I have replaced Villa with. Last season we won 4-2 away to Villa, whilst Match Day 11 saw us beat Bournemouth 2-0 at home. Therefore, anything less than a win will see us lose ground on both counts.

Match Day 11 - Hull Away - Lost 2-1

Wow what a strange few days. Thursday evening we were 1-0 down to Inter Milan, missed a penalty (well, Tadic had one saved) and yet managed to turn it around to win 2-1. In contrast, on Sunday, we were handed a 1-0 lead (courtesy of a Charlie Austin penalty) and then, somehow, managed to throw the match and points away despite dominating most of it.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 11 (2-0) at home to Bournemouth. The dropped three points sees us with a.......

4 point deficit

Obviously, we didn't play in the league last year so I am using our results against Aston Villa instead pf them. Last season we won 4-2 away to Villa (oh to see us score 4 goals this season....) so another 3 points dropped. This, again, gives us with a.......

4 point deficit

We now go into an international break (finger crossed all our players return unscathed - unlike last time 'Shane Long' - although wouldn't it just be our luck for Boufal to pick up an injury) before a home match to high-flying, top of the table, Liverpool........ Last season our home match against Liverpool was one of the games of the season, when we came back from 2-0 to win 3-2. Mind you, Mane played for us that day (scoring 2), now he plays for them.... In Match Day 12 last season we won 1-0 away to Sunderland.

Still think a chart comparing points totals each week this year compared to last would be greatly helpful here. One like that have in the cricket where they compare the second batting team's score each over to the first team's progress.

How-To-Create-Cricket-Score-Chart4.png

Still think a chart comparing points totals each week this year compared to last would be greatly helpful here. One like that have in the cricket where they compare the second batting team's score each over to the first team's progress.

How-To-Create-Cricket-Score-Chart4.png

Feel free to add one. :)

Have you guys seen the Alternative Premier League Table (APLT) from the Liverpool supporters forum, Red And White Kop (RAWK) ??

Look it up. Basically it tracks Liverpool's relative position in the league versuses the "other" big teams by taking into consideration their results against the other teams.

I don't totally understand it because they use below par, par and above par scoring system.

It seems popular as it returns year on year. Although some of their fans seem to rubbish it preferring the actual table.

Anyway, reminded me of this thread.

Clearly indicates we have a big problem.

No it doesn't as it's too early to say.

As menthioned by PTD, each season has had it's stagnation, and if ours comes early and we can iron out the kinks, we can push on.

It would be nice to think we'll add to the squad in Jan, that Shane comes back, that JRod comes good again and Boufal and Hjolberg start to show more than the glimmers we have had seen so far.

But I will conceed and agree with one thing........we need more in the final third than we have been getting.

"A big problem" or "a fixture list containing away matches against four of last years top 5 and the 7th place side already".

This site has a "schedule checker" which lists the next 9 games, we have two "red" difficulty and four amber, three greens.

Whilst Liverpool have one red and Leicester have NO red games at all (!), West Ham's next 4 games are ALL red.

Nine teams have more red games than us and six the same number.

So only 5 teams have an easier next 9 matches coming up than us.

Edited by The9

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 12 - Liverpool Home - Drew 0-0

A hard fought draw against a (previously) free-scoring Liverpool; although, to be honest, they did miss a few they would normally score whilst we barely troubled them at all. Never-the-less, praise to the defense (VvD in particular) for some great, and last gasp, defending and for FF for a couple of fine saves.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 12 (1-0) away to Sunderland. Therefore, we have dropped 2 points and now have a.....

6 point deficit

Who could forget that last season we came from 2-0 down to beat Liverpool 3-2 at St Mary's? Yesterday's draw means that we are 2 points light on our total last season from this type of comparison, again giving us a........

6 point deficit

Next up is a little trip over to Prague before hosting the other Scouse outfit, and our ex-manager. Last season we lost Match Day 13 (0-1) at home to Stoke! We also lost at home to Everton (3-0). So we have a great opportunity to halve our deficits on both counts next weekend!

COYS

Match Day 12 - Liverpool Home - Drew 0-0

A hard fought draw against a (previously) free-scoring Liverpool; although, to be honest, they did miss a few they would normally score whilst we barely troubled them at all. Never-the-less, praise to the defense (VvD in particular) for some great, and last gasp, defending and for FF for a couple of fine saves.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 12 (1-0) away to Sunderland. Therefore, we have dropped 2 points and now have a.....

6 point deficit

Who could forget that last season we came from 2-0 down to beat Liverpool 3-2 at St Mary's? Yesterday's draw means that we are 2 points light on our total last season from this type of comparison, again giving us a........

6 point deficit

Next up is a little trip over to Prague before hosting the other Scouse outfit, and our ex-manager. Last season we lost Match Day 13 (0-1) at home to Stoke! We also lost at home to Everton (3-0). So we have a great opportunity to halve our deficits on both counts next weekend!

COYS

If we had beaten Hull and Sunderland it would look so much better. We need to score more goals.

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 13 - Everton Home - Won 1-0

Following a dismal defeat, and performance, over in Prague Saints came good against the blue half of Liverpool and, more importantly, the returning Ronald Koeman. Indeed, it took less than a minute for debut boy Josh Sims to set up Charlie Austin for the simplest of goals, followed by more than 90 nervous minutes for those used to Saints blowing a lead; but, they managed to hold out for 3 valuable points.

Match Day Comparison

Last season Match Day 13 saw use fall to a 1-0 defeat at home to Stoke. Therefore, we have recouped 3 points giving us a......

3 point deficit

Last season Everton beat us 3-1 at St. Mary's. So it's another 3 points clawed back, which also gives us a......

3 point deficit

Next up is a League Cup quarter final away to the Gooners, before Match Day 14, away at Crystal Palace. Last season we lost Match Day 14 away to Man City (3-1); we also lost away to Palace (1-0). So, once more, we have an opportunity to be equal last seasons points total on both counts. The last time we had such a chance we didn't take it; will we this time?

Last season we lost Match Day 14 away to Man City (3-1); we also lost away to Palace (1-0). So, once more, we have an opportunity to be equal last seasons points total on both counts.

Opportunity well and truly missed!

(any excuse to bump this thread, scandalous that it had fallen to Page 2)

Match Day 13 - Everton Home - Won 1-0

Following a dismal defeat, and performance, over in Prague Saints came good against the blue half of Liverpool and, more importantly, the returning Ronald Koeman. Indeed, it took less than a minute for debut boy Josh Sims to set up Charlie Austin for the simplest of goals, followed by more than 90 nervous minutes for those used to Saints blowing a lead; but, they managed to hold out for 3 valuable points.

Match Day Comparison

Last season Match Day 13 saw use fall to a 1-0 defeat at home to Stoke. Therefore, we have recouped 3 points giving us a......

3 point deficit

Last season Everton beat us 3-1 at St. Mary's. So it's another 3 points clawed back, which also gives us a......

3 point deficit

Next up is a League Cup quarter final away to the Gooners, before Match Day 14, away at Crystal Palace. Last season we lost Match Day 14 away to Man City (3-1); we also lost away to Palace (1-0). So, once more, we have an opportunity to be equal last seasons points total on both counts. The last time we had such a chance we didn't take it; will we this time?

Good work Minsk, keep it up!

Sorry guys, I've been travelling this week so a bit late in updating. Anyway, here goes.....

Match Day 14 - away to Palace - lost 3-0

Following a cracking win (2-0) away at the Emirates to qualify for the LC Semi-final we completely blew the second chance in recent weeks to get back on par with last season's points tallies. Undoubtedly it will be a match that Frazer in particular will want to erase from his memory. I wonder if he will now come in for the kind of stick that Kelvin used to get from some after a similar blooper....

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 14 (3-1) away to Man City; this season's 3-0 loss away to Palace is far worse but still leaves us with a.....

3 point deficit

Last season we lost by a single goal to nil away at Palace; this year they tripled their scoreline whilst we replicated ours. Thus, again, we remain with a.........

3 point deficit

Had I written this before last night, I was going to say that maybe the players were saving themselves for a huge performance in the Europa League.... Alas, they managed to blow that one too, by only gaining a (last gasp) score draw to Be'er Sheva which saw then through and us out. Next up in the league is Match Day 15 at home to Middlesbrough. As they, obviously, weren't in the PL last season, I am going to compare results against them with those against Norwich last season. in 2015/16 we beat Norwich at home (3-0) whilst we drew Match Day 15 at home to Aston Villa (1-1). Let's see what Sunday brings.....

Match Day 15 - Home to Middlesbrough - won 1-0

A very nicely taken first PL goal by Boufal proved to be the match winner.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we drew match day 15 (1-1) at home to Villa, so this is 2 points gained! Therefore, we now have a mere.....

1 point deficit

As previously mentioned, I am comparing our results against Boro this season with those against Norwich in the previous one. Last season we beat Norwich (3-0) at home. Therefore, we remain with a.....

3 point deficit

Next up is Stoke away on Wednesday. Last season we beat them 2-1 up there; whilst Match Day 16 saw us lose (1-0) away to Palace.

I wouldn't say 'clearly'. If you look at the bigger picture, you can see each season had its moments of stagnation. There will be chances to catch up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2227[/ATTACH]

It actually parallels with Adkins first season very well. Just with bigger rises with similar flats.

I would say that Hull, Palace etc are games we should not be having as flats though. And that is the concern.

Match Day 16 - Away to Stoke - Drew 0-0

I am sure most would have taken the draw before kick-off but, having played against 10 men for an hour and completely dominating the match, it feels like we should have got more from this match.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost match day 16 (1-0) away to Palace. Therefore, this draw puts us exactly level with our points total at this stage last season.

0 point deficit/surplus

Last season we won (2-1) away to Stoke. This means, when looking at the actual games played vice number of matches, we now have a....

5 point deficit

Next up is a short trip along the coast for a Sunday afternoon fixture against Bournemouth. Last season they beat us 2-0 at theirs; whilst Match Day 17 saw us defeated, by the same scoreline, at home by the North London Yobbos.

Match Day 17 - away to Bournemouth - won 3-1

A good match, great win and three excellent goals. Hard to pick a favourite goal in all honesty; I just hope the 3rd is suffice to give JRod the confidence to return to his best.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost match day 17 (2-0) at home to Spurs. Therefore, for the first time this season, this victory makes us......

3 points better off

Last season we lost this fixture by 2 goals to nil. This win draws us closer to last season's achievements, with a mere....

2 point deficit

Next up, after Christmas, is the visit of Spurs. As previously mentioned, last season they beat us 2-0 at St. Mary's. Oh how I hope we match last season's Match Day 18 scoreline - the 4-0 victory over Arsenal.........

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 18 - home to Tottenham - lost 1-4

Well, that was sh!te. I was very hopeful after going 1-0 up in the 2nd minute too. Oh well.......

Match Day Comparison

Last season on match day 18 we put 4 past Arsenal; this season their local rivals did the same to us. This means we are now on exactly the same points as at this stage last season.

0 point deficit/better off

Last season Spurs beat us 2-0 at St Mary's. At least we scored this time. Plus, I also feel we could have got the draw if Redmond hadn't (wrongly IMO) been sent off; and the 4-1 scoreline did somewhat flatter them, seeing as the last 2 came right at the death. Anyway, same points as last season which means it remains a.....

2 point deficit

Next up, later on today, is Match Day 19 we sees us host West Brom. Last season we beat them 3-0 at St Mary's; whilst match day 19 saw us lose 2-1 away to West Ham.