Austin

thorpie the sinner

players can adapt tho, and so can(should) Austin if he's to be regular starter, I mean look at nivea he was a 60 min player for us now klopp has got him running for days, he's basically a milner. athleticism is a must for a modern day footballer, one dimensional players like Austin don't have a place. IMO to most teams(including us), a player like long with THE crappiest finishing ever, but whose pace and work rate are top notch, is way more valuable than Austin type players BC halfway decent finishers who offer more like jrod will capitalize on chances players like long create so you don't need a non mobile, unfit but deadly finisher in the side.

Austin isn't unfit and to leave Redmond a non scoring player wandering around the middle of the field is crass. FFS the game is about scoring more goals than the opponent not squandering chance after chance because the player isn't confident he can score. Redmond is a winger not a striker, he doesn't make the runs or see the angles which is why he doesn't score. Austin will get goals as he is showing, play him in the opponents half, we have loads of unproductive journeymen that can run about.

We have few outfield players of quality, VVD and Hojbjerg plus Bertrand with Austin a natural goal scorer that instinctively does the right things. He pulled the managers nuts out of the fire today because nobody else was going to, but Puel still backs Redmond as his main striker. I know if I was an opponent I wouldn't want Austin anywhere near my goal. Redmond isn't a problem for defences.

Austin isn't unfit and to leave Redmond a non scoring player wandering around the middle of the field is crass. FFS the game is about scoring more goals than the opponent not squandering chance after chance because the player isn't confident he can score. Redmond is a winger not a striker, he doesn't make the runs or see the angles which is why he doesn't score. Austin will get goals as he is showing, play him in the opponents half, we have loads of unproductive journeymen that can run about.

We have few outfield players of quality, VVD and Hojbjerg plus Bertrand with Austin a natural goal scorer that instinctively does the right things. He pulled the managers nuts out of the fire today because nobody else was going to, but Puel still backs Redmond as his main striker. I know if I was an opponent I wouldn't want Austin anywhere near my goal. Redmond isn't a problem for defences.

Puel, like his mentor Wenger, is as stubborn as can be and will persist with Redmond as a striker. Everyone can quite clearly see our best team is a 433 with Austin through the middle, Tadic left and Redmond right. Except Puel, because he likes to over complicate things to try and justify his salary

Wow what game were you watching. Redmond was making fantastic runs and got into great scoring positions, yes he didn't finish but he was time and again doing the right things to move the opposition defenders around and create spaces. He has been a striker for 5 games of his career, he is consistently getting into positions to score so he will and his confidence will come. How can you possibly say Redmond isn't a problem for defences. Gonna go out on a limb and guess you were one of the clueless lot who said Mane was **** and a waste of money and shouldn't be in the team just after we bought him too.

Puel, like his mentor Wenger, is as stubborn as can be and will persist with Redmond as a striker. Everyone can quite clearly see our best team is a 433 with Austin through the middle, Tadic left and Redmond right. Except Puel, because he likes to over complicate things to try and justify his salary

So, Puel would prefer to over complicate things to justify his salary, as opposed to building a new system to win games and justify it? Of course.

Koeman is gone, Mane and Pelle are gone, we're not going to play the same formation. Puel is bringing his style to the team, and I'm liking the look of it more and more. Give it time and stop moaning.

Wow what game were you watching. Redmond was making fantastic runs and got into great scoring positions, yes he didn't finish but he was time and again doing the right things to move the opposition defenders around and create spaces. He has been a striker for 5 games of his career, he is consistently getting into positions to score so he will and his confidence will come. How can you possibly say Redmond isn't a problem for defences. Gonna go out on a limb and guess you were one of the clueless lot who said Mane was **** and a waste of money and shouldn't be in the team just after we bought him too.

If Redmond was a Jonny Foeginer nobody really knew , nobody would be saying " play him on the wing " . They'd just be saying what potential he had

Thought Redmond played well overall, despite at least two big mistakes. The first being that miss, and the second to give the ball away so easily after the ball bounced off the ref in our favour.

He showed good movement, skill and some great touches, and once he adds finishing to his game he'll be a good acquisition. Coming from someone who was not impressed by him before he moved here.

Oh and "Charlie Austin plays in a red and white striped football shirt, he's not a supporter of Portsmouth Football Club" etc etc

Mane scored a lot of goals in his previous club thats why we bought him. Redmond highest goal tally in a season is 6! He is not a striker he is a winger ! Puel got out of jail today because of a proper striker scoring . 4 3 3 is the way Austin in the middle Redmond and Tadic either side .....easy really.

At the end of the day football is about sticking the ball in the back of the net as a striker. For the majority of the game we were a 433 with Redmond as an out and out striker, Long was mostly on the left(occasionally switched with Redmond for short spells) and Tadic played on the right. Even Austin came on on the left of a 433 and occasionally switched with Redmond. The official player position map for the game shows a clear cut 4-3-3 with Redmond bang central, Long left and Tadic right..so this isn't for debate.

Austin was basically put on the wing. And no one can tell me he wasn't (apart from when he occasionally switched with Redmond) as he was immediately chasing the opposition full back and his attacking starting position was wide left (and wide left when we had goal kicks). Luckily we were so dominant he could get into the box a lot and his natural goalscoring instinct meant he kept trying to switch position with Redmond.

Austin wanted to play central at one point and Puel (I believe it was him, possibly the assistant) came racing out to scream at them to switch back. Puel has an obsession with Redmond at striker. Redmond had a great game APART from the fact he cannot score, it's the point in football (along with preventing goals). Especially so in his role today in a dominant side, I simply can't believe he didn't score today.

The problem with Redmond is he has a massive brain freeze in front of goal. The two big chances today it was criminal of him not to at least hit the target. At least make the opposition keeper make saves to stop clear cut chances.

I know Redmond will be hung for not scoring that sitter, but he had a good game - good movement off the ball, opening up space. I like him, but he needs to play as the support forward with someone like Austin bearing the brunt of the goal scoring.

I agree with this. I like Redmond, but he is not a center target striker. He's a winger/attacking mid guy who needs to play with Austin. I would go Redmond, Austin, Long upfront, with JRod as backup.

What a steaming pile of horse sh*t this is, but got a few bites. 3.5 out of 10.

1 out of 10.

Mane scored a lot of goals in his previous club thats why we bought him. Redmond highest goal tally in a season is 6! He is not a striker he is a winger ! Puel got out of jail today because of a proper striker scoring . 4 3 3 is the way Austin in the middle Redmond and Tadic either side .....easy really.

Firstly Redmond is still young and has not been played long enough as a striker to be written off yet. Secondly the man who made Thierry Henry has a **** ton more knowledge about converting wingers to strikers and spotting potential than you do. Thirdly Puel made the substitution that won the game just like he also won us the Europe game 2 days ago, maybe he didn't get out of jail but actually had a plan made changes when it was needed and it worked? Finally setting up in a 4-3-3 every week is not likely to happen so get over it and besides it isn't going to magically make our strikers finish our 9 shots on target when under pressure.

Edited by Mallagroth

Redmond is a great talent and a good signing, he just shouldn't be playing up front. It's all very well saying "he does all the right things it's just his finishing is poor" but finishing is a pretty important quality in a striker.

We have numerous hard working midfielders who won't score many goals between them, Tadic is a brilliant player but his weakness is his finishing, we need goals from somewhere.

Austin and Rodriguez (possibly Boufal who we haven't seen play) are the only players in this squad who have the potential to get 15-20 goals in a season. We need at least one of them playing up front centrally, not tracking back full backs

Based on today we're much better with 4-3-3 (which we've almost all been screaming out for). If Remond gets into the team then surely it's wide right. Tadic is most effective on the left anyway in attack and defend (although he made a great tackle in the first half today, it's more natural for Tadic to defend from the left anyway being left footed). I'd go with Tadic left, Austin central and Redmond right (although wouldn't mind Long as an alternative sometimes to Redmond).

One things for sure. Whenever fit to start Austin must start. And the more minutes he can play the better.

The problem with Redmond is he has a massive brain freeze in front of goal. The two big chances today it was criminal of him not to at least hit the target. At least make the opposition keeper make saves to stop clear cut chances.

Was it criminal when Austin missed from 2 yards . No , I'm sure it wasn't . It's only criminal when Redmond does it . You make out Redmond misses them week after week , it's pony . He missed a couple today , but he hasn't been missing them week in, week out. He scored a nice tidy finish against Watford , which shows he's quite capable. If he has a brain freeze , what does long have?

Firstly Redmond is still young and has not been played long enough as a striker to be written off yet. Secondly the man who made Thierry Henry has a **** ton more knowledge about converting wingers to strikers and spotting potential than you do. Thirdly Puel made the substitution that won the game just like he also won us the Europe game 2 days ago, maybe he didn't get out of jail but actually had a plan made changes when it was needed and it worked? Finally setting up in a 4-3-3 every week is not likely to happen so get over it and besides it isn't going to magically make our strikers finish our 9 shots on target when under pressure.

You are crediting Puel with winning the game with a sub? Puel is basically the reason we didn't win by more. Redmond isn't a goalscorer and might never be. He just isn't up to it mentally it seems, he cracks in front of goal. Most of the forum wants to play a formation with Austin central. Puel had Redmond as striker in 4-3-3 all game. It isn't a question of magically finishing chances. Proper strikers like Austin convert clear cut chances far more often than Redmond, that's a fact. If Austin wasn't fit to start at striker then Long should have been the central man, with Tadic and Redmond on the wings (ideally Tadic on the left where he is more effective). Redmond as number 1 central striker today was laughable and proven so by his finishing..even when Austin came on he played most of the game on the left wing, as did Long , with Redmond very reluctant to switch positions with them much (despite Long and Austin being desperate to be central).

Was it criminal when Austin missed from 2 yards . No , I'm sure it wasn't . It's only criminal when Redmond does it . You make out Redmond misses them week after week , it's pony . He missed a couple today , but he hasn't been missing them week in, week out. He scored a nice tidy finish against Watford , which shows he's quite capable. If he has a brain freeze , what does long have?

Austin should have put that chance away too (I'll point out that it was certainly more than 2 yards out though. Looked 7-8 yards out to me at the time, haven't seen it back). I agree with you though that it should have been put away.. Hence why I thought we should have won by at least 4. But you ought to bear in mind that Austin was also only on the park for 35 mins or so and almost bagged 2 goals (Redmond didn't almost bag two, he missed both chances comfortably). And at least the first Austin chance he hit the underside of the bar. Redmond's first chance was blazed woefully high and wide. Hit the target at least, or try to pick out Long (need to see it again , but Long was annoyed he wasn't passed the ball. At the time it looked fair enough to take the shot on). The other one lifted comfortably over the bar, I was amazed when Redmond didn't convert the 2nd chance.

Edited by FriendlySaint

Based on today we're much better with 4-3-3 (which we've almost all been screaming out for). If Remond gets into the team then surely it's wide right. Tadic is most effective on the left anyway in attack and defend (although he made a great tackle in the first half today, it's more natural for Tadic to defend from the left anyway being left footed). I'd go with Tadic left, Austin central and Redmond right (although wouldn't mind Long as an alternative sometimes to Redmond).

One things for sure. Whenever fit to start Austin must start. And the more minutes he can play the better.

Tadic was brilliant today on the right.

Austin should have put that chance away too (I'll point out that it was certainly more than 2 yards out though. Looked 7-8 yards out to me at the time, haven't seen it back). I agree with you though that it should have been put away.. Hence why I thought we should have won by at least 4. But you ought to bear in mind that Austin was also only on the park for 35 mins or so and almost bagged 2 goals (Redmond didn't almost bag two, he missed both chances comfortably). And at least the first Austin chance he hit the underside of the bar. Redmond's first chance was blazed woefully high and wide. Hit the target at least, or try to pick out Long (need to see it again , but Long was annoyed he wasn't passed the ball. At the time it looked fair enough to take the shot on). The other one lifted comfortably over the bar, I was amazed when Redmond didn't convert the 2nd chance.

At least Austin was 1 for 2, not 0 for a bunch. No striker makes them all, but Austin will hit a much higher percentage than the others we have. Also he is much better in the air. He makes good runs, gets to the balls in the air, and is always on target. However he is not as good as Redmond with the ball in open space, and out wide. Play players where they should play!

How many chances did Redmond create compared to Austin? How many times did Redmond close, press and win the ball back?

I genuinely hope Austin isn't up to full fitness currently.

You are crediting Puel with winning the game with a sub? Puel is basically the reason we didn't win by more. Redmond isn't a goalscorer and might never be. He just isn't up to it mentally it seems, he cracks in front of goal. Most of the forum wants to play a formation with Austin central. Puel had Redmond as striker in 4-3-3 all game. It isn't a question of magically finishing chances. Proper strikers like Austin convert clear cut chances far more often than Redmond, that's a fact. If Austin wasn't fit to start at striker then Long should have been the central man, with Tadic and Redmond on the wings (ideally Tadic on the left where he is more effective). Redmond as number 1 central striker today was laughable and proven so by his finishing..even when Austin came on he played most of the game on the left wing, as did Long , with Redmond very reluctant to switch positions with them much (despite Long and Austin being desperate to be central).

Yes I believe the manager made a decision that won us the game, making an early change was necessary to capitalise on the way Swansea had setup, it wasn't what was expected of Swansea but they seemed content to play for a draw. Playing counterattack wasn't going to work (The 'Long' game) and so get it in the mixer style of play was required ('Austins' game) also Austin was clearly knackered after game on Thursday which is why he didn't start, but on 56 minutes was brought on, why can people not understand this no matter how many times it is said.

You say Redmond isn't a goalscorer and might never be... Three of our players have 1 league goal each to their name, Redmond is one of them. So actually it's easy to see why Redmond might be seen as Puels choice as the central mobile striker especially as Long hasn't scored yet and Redmond has more technical ability on the ball, both to retain it and move it around and bring others into the game.

Unfortunately the lad missed a couple today 'shock, horror'. Why do people have to crawl up a players ass before he has had a chance, this always seems to happen with Saints, we really do have some serious bell end supporters on this forum, especially the ones that expect everyone to come into a team and be Aguero quality from day one.

Austin

Tadic - Boufal - Redmond

Hojbjerg - Romeu

Bertrand - Fonte - van Dijk - Cedric

Forster

Still convinced this will be our best team and there's no inclination to whether it'll be where we go once Boufal is fit, or if he'll try and spoon him in as a second striker or even drop Tadic. Looks good though, that attacking trio creating chances for Austin will surely produce goals.

Who plays as 'striker' when Austin runs out of breath?

If Austin is tired, or needs to be rested, then Long is my 2nd choice at striker. Rodriguez is also a decent shout. Today we ought to have started up with Long striker and Redmond out wide (assuming Austin needed rest). With Austin coming on for Long at striker.

Austin

Tadic - Boufal - Redmond

Hojbjerg - Romeu

Bertrand - Fonte - van Dijk - Cedric

Forster

Still convinced this will be our best team and there's no inclination to whether it'll be where we go once Boufal is fit, or if he'll try and spoon him in as a second striker or even drop Tadic. Looks good though, that attacking trio creating chances for Austin will surely produce goals.

Quite like that team, but for me it's a 4-3-3.

I'd go with

Tadic - Austin - Boufal

JWP - Romeu (anchor man) - Davis

Bertrand - VVD - Fonte - Cedric

Forster

I'd like to see Boufal on the left too sometimes as he was very good there for Lille (he can play both wings and 10/SS), but Tadic is definitely better on the left imo. If Tadic isn't on (rested or taken off) then Boufal plays on the left in my system.

Great posts on here. Striker that we brought in to replace one that most people seemingly disliked scores 3 in the last 2 games, and he is complete and utter ****. Unfit. Tired. Can only finish and doesn't offer anything else. Great one lads. Well done.

yeah, its amazing really. You can write off last season (except the Utd goal that secured us auto EL, might be wrong but no later to win a game post that match?) but Charlie Austin is a box striker that will score 20 goals given the chances, Shane will score 10 and mostly from coming into the box. We saw at Arsenal how Long finishes and we have just seen how Austin finishes, its a no brainer who you would start with up top.

Great posts on here. Striker that we brought in to replace one that most people seemingly disliked scores 3 in the last 2 games, and he is complete and utter ****. Unfit. Tired. Can only finish and doesn't offer anything else. Great one lads. Well done.

I don't understand it at all. It must be people that said he was **** when we signed him and can't take it on the chin that they are wrong. He's by far and away our best option for striker. A natural goalscorer and proper striker.

Yeah, you've completely misunderstood what happened when Austin came on, there.

Quite like that team, but for me it's a 4-3-3.

I'd go with

Tadic - Austin - Boufal

JWP - Romeu (anchor man) - Davis

Bertrand - VVD - Fonte - Cedric

Forster

I'd like to see Boufal on the left too sometimes as he was very good there for Lille (he can play both wings and 10/SS), but Tadic is definitely better on the left imo. If Tadic isn't on (rested or taken off) then Boufal plays on the left in my system.

No way on earth jwp should be in team. Not good enough.

I think people are getting too hung up on positions, what we need are forward players who can offer good movement, link up well and finish chances.

Charlie Austin is one of those players, it's important to note as well he scored his goal because he was coming from an inside left position onto the full back, and he did similar on Thursday as well IIRC. It's a common tactic especially for those players good in the air, Deeney was doing it yesterday for Watford, basically drifting into the inside left and picking on Valencia to bully.

Redmond snatched his chances but did excellently the rest of the time, should be noted they were crediting Puel for switching him to a striker on MOTD2 and said the composure in front of goal would come with more time and experience in the position. Redmond might have been the 'central' player but the system is way more fluid than that and he popped up all over the place.

The most important thing for me is we are creating chances, we look a lot more fluid in attack than a few weeks ago so I think the team are beginning to show signs of understanding and getting used to how Puel wants to play. The extra exciting thing is we have Boufal to add into that mix.

The team is looking good IMO, very solid and lots of quality at the back, Romeu is looking better in defensive mid after a shaky start, Hojberg has impressed in midfield and the forwards are starting to gel to each other and the formation/style of play.

Plus could be way worse, look at Stoke and West Ham, both teams close to us last year, both invested heavily, both with lots of talented players and both struggling. I looked at the Stoke team yesterday and you see the likes of Allen, Bojan, Arnatovic, Johnson, Bony, Shawcross and you see a pretty decent team there.

So.... from this thread, of sorts, we can:

Play the following formations:

4-2-3-1

4-4-2 with the diamond midfield

4-3-3

We have a "goalscorer" who we can deploy as and when our manager sees fit and we should see his match fitness improve.

Long and Redmond are not Aguero but their contribution is significant, we know what Long will give us and there is an expectation of improvement from Redmond.

We are still to see our record signing - let's not try and write him off too soon...

Our back 4 picks itself, with suitable full back options.

No question marks over our keeper and his cover is decent.

We've won 2 matches in 3 days and conceded no goals.

I'd say we are in bloody good place, the future looks good.

Edited by notnowcato

I think people are getting too hung up on positions, what we need are forward players who can offer good movement, link up well and finish chances.

Charlie Austin is one of those players, it's important to note as well he scored his goal because he was coming from an inside left position onto the full back, and he did similar on Thursday as well IIRC. It's a common tactic especially for those players good in the air, Deeney was doing it yesterday for Watford, basically drifting into the inside left and picking on Valencia to bully.

Redmond snatched his chances but did excellently the rest of the time, should be noted they were crediting Puel for switching him to a striker on MOTD2 and said the composure in front of goal would come with more time and experience in the position. Redmond might have been the 'central' player but the system is way more fluid than that and he popped up all over the place.

The most important thing for me is we are creating chances, we look a lot more fluid in attack than a few weeks ago so I think the team are beginning to show signs of understanding and getting used to how Puel wants to play. The extra exciting thing is we have Boufal to add into that mix.

The team is looking good IMO, very solid and lots of quality at the back, Romeu is looking better in defensive mid after a shaky start, Hojberg has impressed in midfield and the forwards are starting to gel to each other and the formation/style of play.

Plus could be way worse, look at Stoke and West Ham, both teams close to us last year, both invested heavily, both with lots of talented players and both struggling. I looked at the Stoke team yesterday and you see the likes of Allen, Bojan, Arnatovic, Johnson, Bony, Shawcross and you see a pretty decent team there.

:adore::nod:

So.... from this thread, of sorts, we can:

Play the following formations:

4-2-3-1

4-4-2 with the diamond midfield

4-3-3

We have a "goalscorer" who we can deploy as and when our manager sees fit and we should see his match fitness improve.

Long and Redmond are not Aguero but their contribution is significant, we know what Long will give us and there is an expectation of improvement from Redmond.

We are still to see our record signing - let's not try and write him off too soon...

Our back 4 picks itself, with suitable full back options.

No question marks over our keeper and his cover is decent.

We've won 2 matches in 3 days and conceded no goals.

I'd say we are in bloody good place, the future looks good.

Careful mate, straying dangerously towards positivity there, people will not like that!

Honestly I think some of the blokes on here would complain about having a wet knob after getting a blowy

Spot on!

I'd also add his other 'miss' where he hit the bar was just unlucky, he was stretching at full pace onto a drilled cross. You just try and get something on it and he actually got too much on it, these things happen and sometimes you get unlucky. Look at Sterling''s goal on Saturday, he miss hit it with his ankle and it trickled over the line and luckily went in. Igalho had a whole goal to hit with a gently bouncing ball and all was needed was a calm side foot into an empty net. Strikers miss goals from time to time, even good ones.

But the more important thing for me was he beat his marker to the ball, when he started out behind him so overtook a defender in straight up pace race so he can't be that unfit.

No way on earth jwp should be in team. Not good enough.

Your opinion. Played very well against Prague.

We don't have a set piece taker (not what I consider a proper one, just half decent ones) when he doesn't play either, which is why I like him in the side.

Edited by FriendlySaint

I'd also add his other 'miss' where he hit the bar was just unlucky, he was stretching at full pace onto a drilled cross. You just try and get something on it and he actually got too much on it, these things happen and sometimes you get unlucky. Look at Sterling''s goal on Saturday, he miss hit it with his ankle and it trickled over the line and luckily went in. Igalho had a whole goal to hit with a gently bouncing ball and all was needed was a calm side foot into an empty net. Strikers miss goals from time to time, even good ones.

But the more important thing for me was he beat his marker to the ball, when he started out behind him so overtook a defender in straight up pace race so he can't be that unfit.

The Fox in the Box instinct that Natural Born Goal Scorers have, knowing when to hold back and when to make the move. Timing is as important as pace in the box.

I personally think Redmond would be better off cutting in from wide positions, with maybe Tadic in the hole behind Austin/Long where his eye for a pass could be of more use than passes down the wing.