Saints vs Palace (EFL R3) - Build Up

Lighthouse

Another 3 days rest for this one. Like Christmas already.

I'd pretty much play the kids and a few fringe players. Something like:

McCarthy

Martina - Yoshi - Gardos? - Targett

Reed

JWP - Clasie

Isgrove

Long - Olomola

I think those who played vs Prague but didnt play today will get a start . So Rodriguez might play but I would love it if Olomola gets a chance

Think we'll see something like:

McCarthy

Martina Stephens Yoshida Targett

JWP Reed Clasie

Olomola Hesketh Isgrove

Subs: Forster, Fonte, McQueen, Hojberg, Davis, Long/Redmond, Austin/J-Rod

Adjust for diamond etc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think JWP would be the tallest of the front 6. No way are we going to be that weak

I think the presence of Reed and Isgrove on the bench today will be a hint towards Wednesday's side. I'm going but I'd much rather we picked the kids with a couple of fringe starters who need a game and won't be involved against West Ham.

So how about (back to 4-2-3-1 like the U23s have used a bit, as I can't really fit the players in any other way)...

-------------McCarthy-----------------

Martina--Yoshida--Stephens--Targett

----------Reed-------Clasie------------

-Ward-Prowse--Hesketh--Isgrove----

--------------Rodriguez----------------

Subs: Parkes(GK), Jones, McQueen, Sims, Davis, Johnson, Olomola

I think the presence of Reed and Isgrove on the bench today will be a hint towards Wednesday's side. I'm going but I'd much rather we picked the kids with a couple of fringe starters who need a game and won't be involved against West Ham.

So how about (back to 4-2-3-1 like the U23s have used a bit, as I can't really fit the players in any other way)...

-------------McCarthy-----------------

Martina--Yoshida--Stephens--Targett

----------Reed-------Clasie------------

-Ward-Prowse--Hesketh--Isgrove----

--------------Rodriguez----------------

Subs: Parkes(GK), Jones, McQueen, Sims, Davis, Johnson, Olomola

I like this. The only thing I may add is Long to see if we can get him going, plus he only played a half today.

What kind of team did palace field last time out?

v Blackpool, EFL Cup 2nd Round W 2-0

S Mandanda (G)

J Tomkins (D)

S Dann (D)

P N'Diaye Souare (D) - well he won't be playing...

M Kelly (D)

Y Cabaye (M)

A Townsend (M)

J McArthur (M)

J Mutch (M)

J Puncheon (M)

C Benteke (F)

Subs: J Speroni (G), E Fryers (D), W Zaha (M), Lee Chung-Yong (M), H Boateng (M), C Wickham (F), K Anderson (F)

I like this. The only thing I may add is Long to see if we can get him going, plus he only played a half today.

The issue is trying not to wear out the striker rotation so we have fresh players for West Ham - I think Long's still ahead of Rodriguez, and Austin and Redmond will definitely be in the squad so 60+ mins for Rodriguez with Olomola and Sims to give attacking options.

Having just gone back through the thread it's not dissimilar to Globetrotter's team.

When is Boufal due back? Could he be in?

He was "a month away" a week ago. With a two week break after Leicester on Oct 2nd, he should be back for Burnley on Oct 16th, I can't see us casually popping him in for a debut at the San Siro the Thursday after as it might not be too good for squad morale. Unless of course he's bloody amazing in training, players have a habit of lumping it when the inevitable is staring them in the face. But I'd guess at Burnley.

Jay Rod should be fit for Wes so I think this game is ideal for him to regain the fitness he has lost the last few days and just as he was starting to look sharp again with his movement off the ball.

McCarthy

Targett Yosh Stephens Martina.

Reed JWP

Isgrove Sims

Jay Rod Long

Sims and Jay Rod can rotate every 20/25 from LW to upfront as I have noticed Puel rotate Tadic Jay Rod Long and Redmond at times during the games especially agaist Sunderland and the Europa league.

S Mandanda (G)

J Tomkins (D)

S Dann (D)

M Kelly (D)

Y Cabaye (M)

A Townsend (M)

J McArthur (M)

J Mutch (M)

J Puncheon (M)

C Benteke (F)

Subs: J Speroni (G), E Fryers (D), W Zaha (M), Lee Chung-Yong (M), H Boateng (M), C Wickham (F), K Anderson (F)

Strong team for Palace. I can't see us putting out a team anywhere near as strong.

McCarthy

Martina

Fonte

Yoshida

Targett

JWP

Clasie

Reed

Isgrove

Hesketh/JRod

Austin

I reckon, with youth on the bench. Though I'd be tempted to play Long to see if he can't regain some confidence.

I'd be tempted to play Long to see if he can't regain some confidence.

Not a bad shout either.

Palace's team today was

Steve Mandanda (G) 30

Joel Ward (D) 2

(45) James Tomkins (D) 5

Scott Dann (D) 6

Martin Kelly (D) 34

(85) Andros Townsend (M) 10

Wilfried Zaha (M) 11

(78 ) Joe Ledley (M) 16

James McArthur (M) 18 60

Jason Puncheon (M) 42 77

Christian Benteke (F) 17 71

Only Ward, Cabaye, Zaha and Ledley different from their League Cup team against Blackpool.

Edited by The9

S Mandanda (G)

J Tomkins (D)

S Dann (D)

M Kelly (D)

Y Cabaye (M)

A Townsend (M)

J McArthur (M)

J Mutch (M)

J Puncheon (M)

C Benteke (F)

Thanks. Surprisingly strong team from them.

S Mandanda (G)

J Tomkins (D)

S Dann (D)

M Kelly (D)

Y Cabaye (M)

A Townsend (M)

J McArthur (M)

J Mutch (M)

J Puncheon (M)

C Benteke (F)

If posters on here get their way and Palace field a side similar to the above, it sounds like we don't want to go any further in this Cup. That'll put a smile on Alan Pardew's face.

If posters on here get their way and Palace field a side similar to the above, it sounds like we don't want to go any further in this Cup. That'll put a smile on Alan Pardew's face.

And have the same people bemoaning about blowing a real chance at silverware.

Forster

Martina Yoshida VVD Targett

Clasie Højbjerg JWP Reed

Long Austin

Long needs to find his shooting boots

Spot on!

And have the same people bemoaning about blowing a real chance at silverware.

Spot on!

We've had a 'real chance of silverware' for decades and not won this competition. I think this year, with a European adventure to keep us amused, it should be taking a back seat. After all, the toughest team in the EL is probably Man Utd, whereas they aren't even in the top 4 teams in the EFL, IMO. We have a better chance at winning EL and should go for that.

Also, Austin isn't fit enough to play 3 games in a week yet. I'd save him for West Ham's colandrical defence at the weekend. McCarthy will need game time to stay sharp, should Forster be injured and was probably promised domestic cup games when he signed. I'd be astonished if he didn't play.

Personally think we'd be daft to risk Virgil at such an early stage of a low priority competition. I'm sure people will moan if we lose, doesn't mean we should listen to them.

Another 3 days rest for this one. Like Christmas already.

I'd pretty much play the kids and a few fringe players. Something like:

McCarthy

Martina - Yoshi - Gardos? - Targett

Reed

JWP - Clasie

Isgrove

Long - Olomola

I think Puel will mainly go with the team of the European game with a maybe a youngster in the melting pot. We need to give game time to the squad members who need to get match fit and stay sharp.

For the record Puel seems to understand the squad needs to play to a system that everyone works to. We are not blessed with lots of magnificent players and so the system is key.

Fair play to Puel, he is working well with what he has.....

Fair points. Would equally be happy to Fonte for VVD and JRod (if fit) for Austin or Long (Austin did not play the whole game Saturday). Overall I think we have enough depth to rotate and treat all competitions seriously. Otherwise, why bother entering?

Palace will field a pretty strong team (they always do in the cups), and we'll likely pick a far weakened team. However, having Stephens, Yoshida and Targett might be giving McCarthy a very busy night, and we'll likely get smashed. That said, Yoshida had a good game against Prague - I just wouldnt trust them with the same continual passing along the back four as that game though without Virgil there.

--------------McCarthy--------------

-----------------Reed-----------------

--------Clasie----------JWP----------

----------------Hesketh--------------

Long-----------------------------JRod

Obviously if JRod isn't fit, then one of Austin/Redmond. Wouldn't mind seeing Sims play.

----------------------McCarthy------------------------

Martina------Fonte-------------Yoshi----------Targett

-------------Reed--------------Clasie------------------

------Isgrove---------Long--------------Davis--------

-------------------------JRod--------------------------

-----------------McCarthy-----------------

Martina-----Fonte----Yoshida---Targett

-------------------Reed--------------------

----------JWP--------------Classie--------

---Isgrove-------Jay Rod------------Long

---/Olumula

---/Hesketh

I think we should put out a pretty strong team. If Rodriguez is fit then he should play and 45 mins for Long won't hurt. I think we need to protect at least one of Fonte and Van Dijk. Ideally we would rest both but with Gardos injured that really depends on whether Stephens or Jones would be considered too weak to play a reasonably strong Palace team.

I think Davis, Romeu and Hojbjerg should be kept fresh so the midfield pretty much picks itself.

Would be nice to see a youth product or Isgrove start up front with a couple more on the bench.

Pick the team that will start against West Ham and replace all of them, so a mix of first team players that need game time and a few kids filling in the blanks i think:

McCarthy

JWP Reed Clasie

Isgrove Rodriguez Long

Sims in for Jay if not fit.