Saints vs Palace (EFL R3) - Build Up

Lighthouse

Slightly surprising that Isgrove got a call up to the first team bench yesterday but playing tonight seemingly rules him out for an appearance on Wednesday. Unless he's perhaps only going to play 1st half tonight in order to give him some match time ahead of Wednesday (I don't think he's featured as much this season as the other u23s being 'rested' for Wednesday's game?)

Predicted team for tomorrow.

------------McCarthy---------------

Martina-Stephens-Yoshida-Targett

-------------Reed-------------------

----------JWP-Hojbjerg-------------

-----------Hesketh-----------------

----Long-----------Rodriguez------

Subs Forster,Fonte,Bertrand,Romeu,Redmond, Tadic, Austin

Think it will be similar to the Sparta line up. Palace will bring a strong team - after last years FA Cup run the fans will be after another decent cup run and the LC is as good as any.

Would be good to have Hesketh/Olomola/Isgrove/Sims included in some capacity.

I reckon you're getting one of those.

I like that side - would be good to see Reed and Hesketh back in the first team, Stephens too needs to get the opportunity to prove himself. My only change would be to save Hojbjerg for West Ham and start with Clasie.

I'd stick Redmond out there with the kids/reserves. He should be able to cope with the games and he needs as many matches as possible playing up front. He needs to keep getting chances and hopefully taking more/gaining composure.

Other than that, B team.

The EFL Cup is a competition we can do without as far as the first choice players are concerned. If we play a younger team and they get through, that's fine because they get another game in the next round, but if not, it really doesn't matter. This is likely to be the approach by most of the Prem clubs until at least the last 8, if not the last 4.

Pardew has a track record of playing strong teams in the cups and i think he'll put out a number of 1st team players tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how that side gets on, but i think we'll lose.

Ticket sales are very low for this, hopefully Palace bring a couple of thousand to push the attendance up to a more respectable number.

I think you'll be pretty close with that team selection, but if you're planning on going, make sure you don't turn up tomorrow ;)

:lol: I won't. Considering Tadic's knee, I think I'll change the subs to Isgrove in place of Tadic and give Dusan a full week rest.......Austin to come on in the second half to get the

winner!

Yours sincerly,

Claude

Pardew has a track record of playing strong teams in the cups and i think he'll put out a number of 1st team players tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how that side gets on, but i think we'll lose.

Ticket sales are very low for this, hopefully Palace bring a couple of thousand to push the attendance up to a more respectable number.

Well our ticket policy doesn't help so as a s/t holder thought I could get 5 for the Indian lads working here at the moment.....it seems I can only buy 1 despite on general sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well our ticket policy doesn't help so as a s/t holder thought I could get 5 for the Indian lads working here at the moment.....it seems I can only buy 1 despite on general sale.

They'll still need customer accounts so the tickets can be allocated to their numbers.

Stephens might be a stretch but it's an interesting thought. I wonder if Alfie Jones is ahead of him in the pecking order now?

Stephens might be a stretch but it's an interesting thought. I wonder if Alfie Jones is ahead of him in the pecking order now?

Stephens regularly trains with the 1st team and Jones doesn't.

Stephens along with Reed & Hesketh were notable absentees from the under 23 team last night which suggests they'll be involved tomorrow.

Stephens regularly trains with the 1st team and Jones doesn't.

Stephens along with Reed & Hesketh were notable absentees from the under 23 team last night which suggests they'll be involved tomorrow.

Not to mention Stephens has first team League experience with Swindon and Coventry. I would say at 22 that I wonder whether this is Stephen's make or break season, although Isgrove is still here and older...

-------------McCarthy---------------

---------------Reed-----------------

-----JWP----------------Clasie------

-------------Hesketh----------------

------Redmond------Long----------

Both Redmond and Long need chances to get off the schneid.

What about Florin Gardos is he fit to play?

I thought i saw him in the training images recentley, could be on the bench if fit.

He posted yesterday he'll play for the under 23s later in the week, so not involved tonight.

My two fears are, first, yoshida playing without fonte or vvd, second, palace having incredible wingers( if they play) and with the diamond being weak to wing play, i fear about targett and cuco getting murdered and we essentially get a tonking a la liverpool cup game last year. that'll knock down our fragile confidence.

my hopes are that this'll be a chance for us to dig up a gem from the academy, hesketh, Stephens may impress massively and force themselves in to puel's plans.

No way is Puel is going to blow this one away on kids, he is not running a charity. He knows perfectly well that we cannot win the PL so he will go all out to deliver one of the other three competitions we are in and who says we can't win them all. It's also another vital opportunity to sharpen up our forwards with some much needed shooting practice. If he introduces any of the kids it will be late on and certainly none of the bunch who played against the Leicester Cubs on Monday night - so don't expect Sims or Olumola to appear. A surprise late sub might be Johnson who is rising rapidly through the ranks and taking the place by storm. This boy could well be our next best thing. If twere me and not Puel, I'd keep our defence intact to let them gel more and gain extra confidence from another clean sheet. All great teams are built on a rock solid defence - remember same old Arsenal, winning 1-0?

I find it hard to believe that I care so little about a cup match. From the looks of things, I'm not alone!

Tbh I struggle to get interested in anything but the EPL itself . Even the Europa doesn't really interest me .

Premier league is the most important, the rest is just fluff .

I would play youth in this game plus Redmond up front . If we are going to waste a strikers position on him then a meaningless cup game is valuable game time .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Tbh I struggle to get interested in anything but the EPL itself . Even the Europa doesn't really interest me .

Premier league is the most important, the rest is just fluff .

I would play youth in this game plus Redmond up front . If we are going to waste a strikers position on him then a meaningless cup game is valuable game time .

So you won't be going to Wembley if we get to a cup final then ?

So you won't be going to Wembley if we get to a cup final then ?

Unfortunately I live in western Australia atm so it would be unlikely. I still plan on moving home at some point. Once home its possible my interest would change .

I tend to get access to every game anyway , will watch the cup game tomorrow after work .

Unfortunately I live in western Australia atm so it would be unlikely. I still plan on moving home at some point. Once home its possible my interest would change .

I tend to get access to every game anyway , will watch the cup game tomorrow after work .

Perhaps you would have a different perspective if you lived in the country and attended the games to get involved in the atmos, I'm loving being in the Europa and even though I would be gutted to lose tonight, this cup is the 4th priority after the Europa, Prem and FA cup. I still haven't figured out if it would be worth relegation to win the Europa league. Probably not in the long run.

Palace arent fielding a youth team as some have said - they're likely to have first team / squad players who have been out injured / on the bench playing, including the likes of Cabaye, Hennesey, Lee, Mutch and Wickham - which is probably the Palace equivalent to the sort of team we might be fielding with JWP, Yoshida, Targett, McCarthy etc.

Could be a tight game, but I reckon Palace will field more first teamers and edge it - with a goal coming from a defensive mistake!

lol ... well as reasons go, that's a good one .... who am I to question someone who continues to support from the other side of the world and even watches the meaningless fluff games after work. Good on ya