Jake Hesketh

Tony F

on the bench against wetspam instead of jwp maybe, would be good, either way I think he's gonna get a fair few starts in the pl and Europa this season then become a regular next season, seems to me he's the next lallana, certainly plays like him. let's hope he stays longer tho. looks like we have 4 no10 contenders then(including Redmond). INTERESTING POSSIBILITIES! indeed...

The surprise for me is that it's taken nearly two years for him to effectively get another chance! He looked so good as an 18yo getting game time against Man U, Burnley etc.....I think this may be a negative on Koeman's time here that he overlooked Hesketh for so long and for that matter Reed who he "wrote off" after an excellent performance against Everton. On the dodgy stream tonight Hesketh's movement, passing and finish were delightful. Surely he must get more opportunities now, including Prem appearances. Compare him to JWP for a moment in terms of skills and attributes....despite reputations as they stand, I think I know who's going to end up the better player.

Ran the show, simple incicive perfectly weighted passes. Very impressed.

He did well but I think it's stretching it to say 'he ran the show' !

It was also good all round team performance and his goal probably put him ahead of the others but great experience for him (and Reed) !

Hope they feature more again soon !

Great to see he sketch playing so well, every time I have seen u23's he's looked quality.

Has he signed a new contract yet. From memory thought he was one of players who's contract's expire this summer.

According to this:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/jake-hesketh/profil/spieler/315185

His contract expires June 30, 2017. There were a few media reports that Man U were sniffing around him in last January's transfer window.

It occurred to me earlier that I don't recall Hesketh ever being called up by England at any level (from schoolboys through to U21s) and, true enough, it would appear he's been overlooked as a teenager. Anyone else think that's a bit odd given he's obviously got a lot of natural talent about him? (Yes, I know he's been injured in recent times but still...)

bf20e124e852d4ad64d5d84cc5d3e70d.jpg

Based on that id be surprised if we were not looking to tie him down on a decent deal. He's been with us since he was 8 and seen what can happen if you go too soon (Chambers, Walcott and Ox).

He was our scholar of the year in 2014. The award is a blend of football and academic achievement over the season and he seemed a nice down to earth kid.

According to this:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/jake-hesketh/profil/spieler/315185

His contract expires June 30, 2017. There were a few media reports that Man U were sniffing around him in last January's transfer window.

I was about to jump on that and say that can't be right, but I'm surprised to find that it's actually true.

I'd imagine he's next on the list.

Looked quality to me just from the highlights mind. Should have had a couple of assists to go with his goals as well.

My only worry would be that I'd reckon less effective as one of the two in the midfield, not at the tip of it and how many games will he get there with Boufal, Tadic, JWP and maybe Redmond possibly being used in that spot?

on the bench against wetspam instead of jwp maybe

Ward-Prowse had one of his better games last night, also played Long in for the Hesketh goal. I wouldn't say there was much difference between their level of performance overall, just the nice story skewing the vote, Hesketh's physically no more first team ready than he was when he played against Burnley, it's whether you think we can sustain a lighter player (and indeed a lighter midfield overall) and how Boufal's arrival in the team will impact on his development.

I was impressed with Harrison Reed not managing to get booked (though he should have been for one tackle) last night too... looked lively mostly without looking reckless for a change.

Brilliant. Tadic was warming up by us when Hesketh scored and was celebrating with a massive smile on his face

Tadic also went out of his way to climb over people on the bench to congratulate him with a bit of a fist bump when Hesketh came off.

Ward-Prowse had one of his better games last night, also played Long in for the Hesketh goal. I wouldn't say there was much difference between their level of performance overall, just the nice story skewing the vote, Hesketh's physically no more first team ready than he was when he played against Burnley, it's whether you think we can sustain a lighter player (and indeed a lighter midfield overall) and how Boufal's arrival in the team will impact on his development.

I was impressed with Harrison Reed not managing to get booked (though he should have been for one tackle) last night too... looked lively mostly without looking reckless for a change.

Id argue against your point on his physicality after the way he held of Cabye before threading Austin thru and it was his tackle on Sakho that started the break away from which he scored!

Ward prowse did not have as good a game as hesketh.

What game were you watching mate...

Hesketh routinely played exquisite through balls and did more from open play in one game than jwp has done in his career.

One game and that's the impact we saw from quality.

Dead ball aside, jwp will never be that.

Hesketh routinely played exquisite through balls and did more from open play in one game than jwp has done in his career.

Different player, in different positions, asked to do different things. Why the need to slate one player in favour of another.

We had four Academy Graduates on the pitch last night, against a team of pretty senior Pros, and they all did well. Celebrate that.

The last couple of games has seen JWP get a bit more physical imo. I was pleased to see the way he reacted to that Sparta guy who left his foot in, and last night he had a couple of spikey challenges too. Given Puel's reputation as a midfielder perhaps he's having an impact.

giphy.gif

All four Academy graduates received great praise from the Wail this morning for last night's performances. Of course we don't believe a word this rag says but we'll let them off this time, even they can get it right once in a while.

They were 'though polishing up the Manure link as 'though Hesketh was already one of their's but with Sims, Johnson and Olumula coming through fast let's actually hang onto these kids and create a new golden generation of our own on the south coast. Who knows we might even win this league in three or four years time.

Yes I was impressed too. 95% of the time. There were just one or two occasions when he seemed to fade and the game started to pass him by. I put it down to the fact that he and Clasie were in similar roles and were learning to play as a unit.

In your opinion.... JWP was in charge of the midfield yesterday. Now he has grown a set of balls he can tackle and hold off the players with the best of them (IMO of course...)

In your opinion.... JWP was in charge of the midfield yesterday. Now he has grown a set of balls he can tackle and hold off the players with the best of them (IMO of course...)

Didn't have a bad game but not difficult to improve from the standard we have come to expect from him.

Hope Prowse comes good but I remember saying the same thing a couple of years ago too...

Tick tock tick.

Didn't have a bad game but not difficult to improve from the standard we have come to expect from him.

Hope Prowse comes good but I remember saying the same thing a couple of years ago too...

Tick tock tick.

I have to agree there. I think he's reached his limit, playing regularly in the premier league, Europe and for his country.

Loser.

I thought all four Academy lads had good games, including Prowsey who had one of his better games. On the face of it though, from limited opportunities, you'd have to say Harry Reed is a better DM than JWP and Jake Hesketh is a better AM, leaving reputations and matches played aside.

although I detest comparisons (as such), there are times when you feel that a new / young player / reminds you of someone else / from a former era.

Looking back 40 years....does anyone else think Jake's performance might just remind a little of the ...."young Steve Williams ".c 1976.

Jake looked as though he was a part of the team from the first kick and he played with so much confidence, and ...for " a small fella "... he wasn't afraid to mix it a bit... even with the more muscular Palace players. I've watched him play for the U21 (now U23).. but I was very impressed with the maturity of his game....and the goal.

Edited by david in sweden

I thought all four Academy lads had good games, including Prowsey who had one of his better games. On the face of it though, from limited opportunities, you'd have to say Harry Reed is a better DM than JWP and Jake Hesketh is a better AM, leaving reputations and matches played aside.

I'd go with most of that..I think that (were he a regular player) JWP should have a " roaming role ". He is very creative, and must of his passing is top drawer.

His pass (between two defenders prior to the second goal) was right on Long's toe, although Shane was unlucky not to score (again)...the rebound fell nicely to Hesketh.

I'm yet to be convinced of Harrison Reed's ability to do anything other than lay in late tackles and get himself booked a lot, I certainly wouldn't be putting him ahead of Ward-Prowse yet. TBH I don't see any of them as much more than squad players yet and Ward-Prowse is comfortably ahead of the others with a couple of seasons' experience at this point.

Can't say I noticed Hesketh doing anything I haven't seen numerous other Saints players do with that amount of time and space - Ward-Prowse himself provided the key pass for Hesketh's goal.

I think if there had been "routine exquisite through balls" as opposed to the kind of standard through balls we've been playing all season, I would have noticed. Unfortunately there aren't any passing stats online to debunk this. I'd still say it was more down to Palace's lack of effort or ability than any genius on our part though.

Can't say I noticed Hesketh doing anything I haven't seen numerous other Saints players do with that amount of time and space - Ward-Prowse himself provided the key pass for Hesketh's goal.

I think if there had been "routine exquisite through balls" as opposed to the kind of standard through balls we've been playing all season, I would have noticed. Unfortunately there aren't any passing stats online to debunk this. I'd still say it was more down to Palace's lack of effort or ability than any genius on our part though.

"Nine", I realise our assessments of games are based on opinion but surely you could appreciate the class and sharp incisive passing of Hesketh.....anything but standard through balls. His goal from open play is something Prowsey hasn't managed in 120 or so appearances. Your critique of Reed as just a layer of late tackles, is also harsh. Reed and Hesketh showed they should have been given more opportunities by Koeman - let's hope they get them under Puel.