Saints beat Crystal Palace 2-0 in EFL Cup. Sunderland at home next

Hamilton Saint

MOTM v Palace  

218 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM v Palace

Solid. System worked very well. Yoshida and Martina were superb, as were Reed, Targett, Hesketh, JWP and Long. No-one had a "bad" game although I must admit to being disappointed Clasie isn't getting more involved offensively.

When's the draw?

'Breaking news' on SSN - 'EFL draw coming up shortly'

I guess I am in the minority, but I like our strikers. We are creating chance after chance, and giving the defense fits. The shots are starting to fall, and will fall more. I like Long & Redmond as the "wing attacker guys" (so to speak) with Austin as the center target guy. All strikers miss, the important thing is to create lot of opportunities through movement, in the air, and overall scrappiness. We are putting pressure on the opponent.

Thought we were very good, albeit completely untested. Difficult to understate just how awful Palace were, but you can only beat what's in front of you. Was a bit concerned about the midfield four before the game as it looked like the smallest midfield in professional football history, but credit to all of them, they all played very well.

Martina very good again, and good to see Targett finally look like he's got a bit of confidence to run at the opposition.

No coincidence that as soon as Puel starts playing a known goal scorer up front the team has an attacking focal point, the goals start going in and confidence rises as momentum gains.

We should play either Long or Redmond along Austin, both look like they could have a productive relationship with him - they tee it up and Charlie knocks it in.

Starting to look a half decent team now.

Shlong absolutely terrorised their defence tonight . everyone played well Cuco is really going to be piling the pressure on Cedric another great game.Hesketh was mustard, Reed & Targett bother had good games.Austin looks like he's getting a bit fitter .couple more games and I think he'll be firing on all cylinders, another great penalty. Hats off to Puel really coming together. Highlight for me is the faith being shown in our youngsters.When Poch went to spurs and started playing their kids I was a bit jealous., as Keoman really didn't want to entertain it.

Really impressed with Hesketh and his passing, goal was the icing on the cake, well done him!

Martina great again - I think I prefer his physical presence to Soares in the side, especially if we're playing titchy midfielders. I though Clasie was good, JWP was good, Fonte was back to looking more like Fonte and although Long should have scored, both he and Austin were very good again. Big shout to Targett, he looked like he was enjoying his football and reminded me of that good spell he had in Jan/Feb under Koeman.

Oh yes, McCarthy good in goal too, looked solid.

Just a great team effort.

Dodgy stream or not, a thoroughly enjoyable performance. The quick movement, incisive passing and energy displayed tonight seem to indicate the new system is bedding in well. So good to see Targett, Reed, JWP and Hesketh start the game; each played his part, but Hesketh was exceptional and no thanks to Koeman who has effectively put both Hesketh and Reed into the wilderness for a couple of seasons after both had shown plenty of class in limited first team opportunities. Martina impressive again and so was Yoshida; enjoyed Long's game too if not his finishing.

Solid performance against a pretty dire Palace team. Pretty much everyone came out of that with credit, but the main thing for me was that the players are always looking for forward passes. The movement is much better than it was under Koeman and everyone is looking for gaps and runs rather then being happy to turn around and build slowly from the back.

I'm not saying that we will get better results with Puel, but it looks like we will be playing far more attractive attacking football.

Ideal. Good home win to the next round and another home tie to come. Hesketh re-emerging and delighted to see Harry Reed get a start, thought he did little wrong under MP and RK but not fancied last season. Austin gets another and more fitness.

Pity the Pompey slayers couldn't take West Ham to extra time but looking forward to Sunday.

Only down side was the low attendance I'm , I took the old man who's a toon fan and he was well impressed with the performance! Is it another coincidence that palace were poor opponents (like our last 2) or are we making them look poor ? Still 3 wins with 3 clean sheets and most of the squad involved in them , Popper job!