• Højbjerg
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Austin
    • Long
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Martina

firstly,that has to be the worst football ground in England,it may be good for athletics and concerts but not football

the first half was a bit drab but second half they should have been done 4or 5

my take on the game we played was to just keep possession as much as possible and gradually wear them down and as shown in the secon half,tear them a new one.

looks very promising under puel

motm for me was romeu with vvd a close second

Any comment on tadic brilliant performance the last two games.

Yea great shimmy for his goal...pure class but he also missed two good chances and that is why he will never be a great. A better player would have scored 2 or 3 yesterday. And I don't think I am alone in being critical because it is obvious Puel gets frustrated too judging by some of the exchanges they have when Tadic is subbed. Said it many times but people don't listen, there is a very good player in the making but he is too inconsistent and sometimes too indecisive and I will stick to that view for the time being if that's alright by you.

Yea great shimmy for his goal...pure class but he also missed two good chances and that is why he will never be a great. A better player would have scored 2 or 3 yesterday. And I don't think I am alone in being critical because it is obvious Puel gets frustrated too judging by some of the exchanges they have when Tadic is subbed. Said it many times but people don't listen, there is a very good player in the making but he is too inconsistent and sometimes too indecisive and I will stick to that view for the time being if that's alright by you.

Agree. And judging by the way his teammates didn't exactly rush to congratulate him after he scored, plus the Austin penalty incident, plus Redmond giving him an earful at one point after a not great pass, he has to work on his social skills too. I thought we looked great eventually - some really good passing and interplay. VVD is immense and Barcelona should be his next destination in my view. Bit worried about Fonte though as he's been displaying his rashness a bit again. Head doesn't look right. Austin's pass for the second goal was brilliant and he looks really good for his 70 minutes a game. Hoijberg also excellent. If only we had more goals in the team in terms of finishing we'd be well set. Perhaps Boufal can help there. Am very much warming to this Puel chappie...

One other thing. A word for the ref, who wasn't hoodwinked by West Ham's cheating antics, and didn't give pens when others would have. Probably didn't feel the pressure from their atmosphere-less stadium...

Agree, I was thinking this during the game but didn't want to post anything in the match thread in case I jinxed it!

There were a few 'light' decisions that went against us early on (I'm thinking Noble/Redmond fouls), but he got most of the big calls right.

Agree, I was thinking this during the game but didn't want to post anything in the match thread in case I jinxed it!

There were a few 'light' decisions that went against us early on (I'm thinking Noble/Redmond fouls), but he got most of the big calls right.

Apparently he is an ex player at reasonably high level. probably helps quite a lot

You really should just accept Dusan for what he is and not expect greatness. He's been very effective for us all the time he's been here.

Think he has upped his game a lot so far this season. Finding him very exciting to watch. Even in the Watford game the only moment of excitement for me was a jinxing run from him. Yes he can improve but he's been a standout player imo this season!

Think he has upped his game a lot so far this season. Finding him very exciting to watch. Even in the Watford game the only moment of excitement for me was a jinxing run from him. Yes he can improve but he's been a standout player imo this season!

+ with Boufal on his way and young Hesketh stepping up we at least have ample competition for that position which should result in some exciting football over the season.

Romeu (and the entire midfield) were absolutely superb yesterday - the number of times they just took the ball from breaking West Ham players before a threat could materialise. Absolutely superb. Plenty of higher profile hooks for people to get distracted by, but that was one of the best midfield performances I've seen, from all of them.

Seen elsewhere:

"Credit to Southampton, at this stage of the game the players could be forgiven for trying to run the clock down and just hoofing the ball into Row A"

We don't do that, we just pass teams to death instead. I was screaming for us to corner-flag it for about 10 minutes but whenever we lost it, the midfield just got it back again.

Bertrand was excellent too, always forced Antonio back onto his left foot and far less came from those crosses as a result (though a couple of times we left Payet unmarked at the far side of the field and that was when they had their best chances).

Yea Maybe, I hope Puel can bring the best out of him because he has the talent

a few people have mentioned this, but surely WHam co-owner David Sullivan must be biting his tongue just now.

He publically criticised Charlie Austin's fitness at the time of his transfer in January, but yesterday's performance from Charlie was much more than just his 40th min goal.

True Charlie hadn't played that much, but that was also because of the fierce competition from the likes of Long, Pelle and Mane at the back end of last season.

With hindsight Mr. Sullivan may feel that Wham's £15 million investment in Andy Carroll was a better investment than the £4 million we paid for Charlie Austin...???

In my book, I never understand why people always throw money at Carroll. He's usually hurt or ineffective. He seems to only play the last 20 minutes where the team is hoping for the in the box header. I don't know why he is considered better than others.

Romeu (and the entire midfield) were absolutely superb yesterday - the number of times they just took the ball from breaking West Ham players before a threat could materialise. Absolutely superb. Plenty of higher profile hooks for people to get distracted by, but that was one of the best midfield performances I've seen, from all of them.

It's very hard not to like Romeu.

He was very good. "All action" is a criticism?

larry12 posts complete utter ****** on the UI so dont expect too much from him.

Was very impressed yesterday with our passing and control and the way we worked it around the pitch. Better passing final third and an occasional look up across the box may have seen a couple of tap ins but am so happy with the way we are playing. Romeu, Davis and Hojberg are a good unit and compliment each others skills.

Got a text from my Hammers supporting boss with 20 to go "we have the biggest ground in the champioship" bought a smile and loads of gloating today.

Well done Claude got us playing some good stuff.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Seen elsewhere:

"Credit to Southampton, at this stage of the game the players could be forgiven for trying to run the clock down and just hoofing the ball into Row A"

We don't do that, we just pass teams to death instead. I was screaming for us to corner-flag it for about 10 minutes but whenever we lost it, the midfield just got it back again.

Bertrand was excellent too, always forced Antonio back onto his left foot and far less came from those crosses as a result (though a couple of times we left Payet unmarked at the far side of the field and that was when they had their best chances).

Out of interest, the 9, did you actually not get that joke?

I've seen a few people praising Redmond on this thread, but I wanted to do so myself.

I thought he was very good yesterday and surprised one or two weren't impressed. He really caused the opposition problems with his movement, but what impressed me most was his ball retention. Time after time he held the ball up when under pressure and came out of tight areas with the ball.

Losing Mane was always going to hurt us and finding someone with that extreme pace and trickery was perhaps going to be impossible, but what Redmond seems willing to do is dribble, dribble, dribble and then release when it is on. Quick passing is of course important, but there is also a need for ball retention in the opponents final third - it keeps us high up the pitch, allows players to push up/make runs and stops the ball going backwards all the time in our efforts to keep it. He certainly does that and offers just enough pace to stretch teams.

I have to say he has come on a fair bit since I watched him at Brum. He still looks full of confidence, but now also assured that he is doing the right things. He also looks like he is already very comfortable in this side, like he has been here for years.

I guess the one thing that will be questioned is the number of goals, but if the side plays better and creates more with him down the middle that is all that matters.

VVD is immense and Barcelona should be his next destination in my view.

Virgil would seriously need to step up his game cause the way he plays now there aint a chance Barca would be in for him, Barca demands a bit more then just winning your personal duels. Im not saying he doesnt have the qualities but he will have to more on the ball then he currently does.

I also expect more from him now then 'just' winning his aerials and having a ****load of clearances. Yes defensively he's a beast but i cant say i like the looks of him atm, yesterday he also had a few very sloppy moments on the ball and it reminds me of his second year at Groningen and Celtic where he also became very sloppy at moments and at Groningen it cost him his place in the national squad U21 and every club in Holland had doubts about buying him.

I know Koeman regularly gave Virgil a kick in the ass for those moments and was constantly on his back for it so im hoping Puel does it as well otherwise ill predict we will see Virgil doing some silly things this year.

I'm uncertain whether I miss Mane after seeing how well his replacements did yesterday, both Tadic and Redmond, especially with Boufal still to come. I don't miss Mane's miserable attitude or his reluctance to pass to team-mates better placed and I still remember the lengthy goal drought. The performance yesterday on top of the previous 3 games suggests the fee the club got for him has improved the squad and collective team co-operation.

Tough decision for me between Van Dijk and Austin. Being at opposition ends of the park I'll have to call it a draw. Austin with a goal and nicely weighted assist, plus good work rate and overall contribution. Van Dijk dominant and determined. Both very good performances.

Virgil would seriously need to step up his game cause the way he plays now there aint a chance Barca would be in for him, Barca demands a bit more then just winning your personal duels. Im not saying he doesnt have the qualities but he will have to more on the ball then he currently does.

I also expect more from him now then 'just' winning his aerials and having a ****load of clearances. Yes defensively he's a beast but i cant say i like the looks of him atm, yesterday he also had a few very sloppy moments on the ball and it reminds me of his second year at Groningen and Celtic where he also became very sloppy at moments and at Groningen it cost him his place in the national squad U21 and every club in Holland had doubts about buying him.

I know Koeman regularly gave Virgil a kick in the ass for those moments and was constantly on his back for it so im hoping Puel does it as well otherwise ill predict we will see Virgil doing some silly things this year.

Van Dijk is great on the ball. He's one of the best centre backs in the world on the ball. Great in the air, fast. The only thing he needs to work on is concentration and positioning in defence. He also needs to mature and get less frustrated when his team isn't winning. His tendency to get forward, and risk getting caught out of position, isn't what a top team wants from a centre back. I'd suggest he is good enough to play for Barcelona in terms of ability. I would say he's worth a punt for them as a result and I'm surprised no top team went for him in the summer.

wow - that would take some proving and you appear to be very well connected.... or everything you say may not be the case.

Tickets for Southampton's trip to Internazionale in the UEFA Europa League group stage will go on sale to all supporters with an appropriate purchase history from 9am on Wednesday.

Saints will face the Italian giants in a Group K contest at the San Siro on Thursday 20th October, with the game kicking-off at 6pm BST.

As previously announced, lengthy discussions with Internazionale resulted in our initial allocation of 5,000 seats being increased to a total of 8,700, meaning more of our supporters will be able to make the trip to Milan.

Tickets, which are priced at £19 each, with no concessions available, are currently available to Official Members with an appropriate purchase history.

After tomorrow, they will go on sale as follows:

Wednesday 28th September (9am) – All supporters with a purchase history.

Please note, in order to buy a ticket, you must have a purchase history with the club at any point from the beginning of the 2014/15 season onwards. Please also note, last week's EFL Cup match against Crystal Palace and Sunday's Premier League trip to West Ham DO NOT count towards the purchase criteria.

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160926-uel-tickets-internazionale-away-all-southampton-supporters-3330196.aspx#WT62D1GARA7wv8tv.99

Out of interest, the 9, did you actually not get that joke?

I actually didn't see it, read the first half of the quote and responded to that, whilst eating a sandwich between meetings. I was in Row B, we nearly got a touch after Davis' shot. :D

I actually didn't see it, read the first half of the quote and responded to that, whilst eating a sandwich between meetings. I was in Row B, we nearly got a touch after Davis' shot. :D

I was in Row A (1) and can confirm that shot just reached me. Must have been sitting dangerously close to each other. ?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Post of the day on KUMB:

Re: West Ham vs Southampton Match Thread

EastleighHammer16 wrote:Something i'm very interested to know.. I've seen multiple people (on twitter so i'm taking it with a pinch of salt) say that the club are playing crowd noise through the speakers. Is there any truth to this?

icon_post_target.gifby OFT on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:42 pm

They're playing booing through the PA system?

:) :) :)

This was mentioned as 'fact' by the Sky Sports commentators so it's not just a load of twitter,not allowed during a match apparently.

If he had been a 'better' player as you put it he would be at Arsenal or Man City. Personally I love him and he is the only truly creative talent we have on the pitch. He is one of the few players in our squad that lights the place up with expectancy every time he gets the ball. What really clinches it for me is that he gives every impression of really wanting to be part of SFC and is enjoying every moment of it whether he is on the pitch or not. Just look at his beaming reaction from the sidelines when Hesketh scored the other night, he looked really proud of the your lad. If he acts as 'though this is his team, all strength to his elbow!

I cannot believe for one minute that the other players find him difficult to deal with there is obviously absolutely no problem between him and Austin, in fact they seem to have something going there with all the kissing and cuddling and if he has a few exchanges with Redmond who can vibe surprised as Redmond is instinctively a greedy and wasteful performer and a bit of a spoilt brat to boot, IMHO!

As for the 'exchange' with Puel on the touchline yesterday from my perspective Tadic was just asking about the tactical reasons for his substitution and Puel was saying "I don't want you to be completely knackered for Thursday and Sunday".

There IS only ONE Dusan Tadic.

I'm uncertain whether I miss Mane after seeing how well his replacements did yesterday, both Tadic and Redmond, especially with Boufal still to come. I don't miss Mane's miserable attitude or his reluctance to pass to team-mates better placed and I still remember the lengthy goal drought. The performance yesterday on top of the previous 3 games suggests the fee the club got for him has improved the squad and collective team co-operation.

Exactly.

This forum was awash with "Where's Mané's replacement?" and "Where's Wanyama's replacement?" but they were never going to be "replaced".

A good team is the sum of its parts, and I am genuinely happier with what we have now - and its potential. The sum of last year's parts included the issues you raised about Mané - even though I loved what he brought on his good days. It also included a Wanyama who (though a defensive beast) had little idea on the attacking side of halfway, who didn't seem to contribute much to the on-pitch team communication and motivation, and whose propensity for taking needless yellows (and often reds) hurt us on numerous occasions.

As usual, those days of angst and panic on here look a little silly now.

Whilst we could have won by a hatfull with more incisive finishing and less athletic goalkeeping, very little has been said on this and the West Ham boards re Bertrands hand ball.

Definitely a pen and could have inspired a West Ham fightback.

Think we would have been aggrieved if that decision had not gone our way.

That said, after such an abject performance, I guess this board would have been at the same level of meltdown as the Hammers forums and the penalty decision would have been overtaken by more general concern

In your opinion. I beg to differ.

My West Ham supporting friend is amazed we didn't get a player sent off and claims we made numerous dirty tackles. Does this remotely correspond with anyone's recollection? There was one pretty crunching challenge which rightly got a yellow but I can't remember anything else.

Those club pictures are a little worrying with a trip to Israel in a few days - hope it's tiredness and not anything else!

Edited by DuncanRG

Austin, a goalscorer at the London Stadium, appeared particularly dishevelled as exited the club, with a drink stain clearly visible on the front of his shirt.

Hope the drink stains are from his Pepsi, or from another person's beer. Professional footballers have to be in peak physical condition, which means minimal drinking and no smoking. When they retire in their mid thirties they have 40 or so more years to make up for lost time if they want.

Jack Wheelchair being an exception of course, since he only has to play three matches a year.

Edited by Dark Munster

Austin, a goalscorer at the London Stadium, appeared particularly dishevelled as exited the club, with a drink stain clearly visible on the front of his shirt.

Hope the drink stains are from his Pepsi, or from another person's beer. Professional footballers have to be in peek physical condition, which means minimal drinking and no smoking. When they retire in their mid thirties they have 40 or so more years to make up for lost time if they want.

Jack Wheelchair being an exception of course, since he only has to play three matches a year.

Nothing wrong with a drink (or even getting ****ed). As long as the player is hydrated and ready to perform in training on Tuesday then no harm done.