Charlie Austin for England?

trousers

Makes you wonder if Puel reads this forum....

Play Austin up top and in his natural position (not on the wing) and the guy will score goals - he always has.

"Natural goalscorer" it's a cliché but seems right when describing Austin

Hopefully Puel is now aware of his strengths - Henry / Redmond could learn a lot from Austin

Play Austin up top and in his natural position (not on the wing) and the guy will score goals - he always has.

Hopefully Puel is now aware of his strengths - Henry / Redmond could learn a lot from Austin

You must've missed the post match talk on Sky Sports one. They were saying how effective Austin was, illustrating his play on the wings, and saying he was pretty much flawless in his play.

Lol you assume Puel wasn't aware. Rotation Glasgow. Same thing since the start. When Austin doesn't start a game don't start trolling now you've had it explained for the umpteenth time.

He did but got bored of the sh ite you and your negative post alikes drivel on about on repeat

Our front 3 all rotated and some of Charlies best play came from being out wide, including his assist. You'll note he keeps drifting out and bullying their fullbacks, beating the in the air and giving us an out ball.

The only real issue is his fitness, needs to step in up as I doubt he was running anywhere near as much as Redmond, Hojberg and Davis who were still making lung busting runs in the 94th minute, whilst he looked fecked at about 60 minutes. A fitter Austin would have been following into the box when Redmond won that long ball and squared it, instead Austin was resting on the edge.

Needs to play though, not sure why people questioned his all round play, he seems much more than just a finisher to me, he played some excellent passes in that game and played as a proper target man for the most of the game.

Our front 3 all rotated and some of Charlies best play came from being out wide, including his assist. You'll note he keeps drifting out and bullying their fullbacks, beating the in the air and giving us an out ball.

The only real issue is his fitness, needs to step in up as I doubt he was running anywhere near as much as Redmond, Hojberg and Davis who were still making lung busting runs in the 94th minute, whilst he looked fecked at about 60 minutes. A fitter Austin would have been following into the box when Redmond won that long ball and squared it, instead Austin was resting on the edge.

Needs to play though, not sure why people questioned his all round play, he seems much more than just a finisher to me, he played some excellent passes in that game and played as a proper target man for the most of the game.

Agreed, reminded me of Rickie Lambert at his best today, drifting wide and linking up as part of the forward unit. Austin is showing to be much more then the out and out striker he has been pigeon holed as.

earlier this season it was suggested that Austin offers nothing what so ever outside of the box

earlier this season it was suggested that Austin offers nothing what so ever outside of the box

His all round game is better than has been made out, but there's no doubt his main attribute is his finishing.

He is the only fit player we have you'd back hit double figures in a season. He needs to start when fit and to keep getting in the box, not being stuck out wide

Because earlier this season he didn't. He's improved under Puel, as we were told would happen by those who played under him.

To be fair I don't think you can give Puel this one. Charlie wasn't expected to have more than a poachers finish in him because he hasn't really had the chance. Saints is actually the best footballing side he has had a chance to have a run of games with at this level and naturally he is going to have more opportunity to show his all round game. Not being arrogant but just more a surprising fact. Puel has got the gift of doing this by all accounts but just as its early to write players like Redmond off its too early to start over praising contributions. Credit where it's due etc.

To be fair I don't think you can give Puel this one. Charlie wasn't expected to have more than a poachers finish in him because he hasn't really had the chance. Saints is actually the best footballing side he has had a chance to have a run of games with at this level and naturally he is going to have more opportunity to show his all round game. Not being arrogant but just more a surprising fact. Puel has got the gift of doing this by all accounts but just as its early to write players like Redmond off its too early to start over praising contributions. Credit where it's due etc.

So you don't think he's improved under Puel ?

It's pretty clear that he has. For a start he's learnt how to play a different role, in a system totally alien to what he's been used to previously, whilst maintaining his goal threat. I kinda suspect Puel might have played some part in that. Credit where it's due etc. ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/25/southampton-striker-charlie-austin-shows-west-hams-owners-exactl/

Sammy Lee, who is now Sam Allardyce’s England assistant, was at the London Stadium and, with Harry Kane and Andy Carroll both currently injured, will surely have taken a particular interest in Austin’s form ahead of England’s World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Slovenia.

“I hope Charlie can find the England selection,” said Claude Puel, the Southampton manager.

He played left sided against West Ham.

So you don't think he's improved under Puel ?

It's pretty clear that he has. For a start he's learnt how to play a different role, in a system totally alien to what he's been used to previously, whilst maintaining his goal threat. I kinda suspect Puel might have played some part in that. Credit where it's due etc. ;)

Fair point :)

He played left sided against West Ham.

It's changed though hasn't it, at the start of the season he was basically playing as a wide midfielder, in the last 2 week, we've started playing way more fluid with Austin playing more centrally even if he's starting wider. The fluidity is making it very hard to track runners so the system is working at the moment. I just worry when we play against a team with very attacking full backs, as it'll push our two strikers playing as wing backs essentially.

If he got a run out against Malta he'd get some pretty good chances to get some goals as you'd expect England to be beating them comfortably.

Plus I don't see a huge amount of options, Rooney is well out of form, Kane is injured, so it's maybe Rashford, Defoe and Walcott as the other strikers with probably Sterling and Lallana the other guys getting the goals.

Knowing our luck though he'll get injured.

I know for a fact people at Saints do read this. Mainly on business side, but some on football side too.

I'll stick this out there but Redmond playing regularly and well (which I think he has been doing despite his lack of nous at finishing) can only be good for him when it comes to Allardyce's thinking. While England have decent attacking choices, his pace, work rate and experience with the U21s surely means someone is keeping an eye on him. (Sammy Lee was at the ground yesterday...) If he keeps playing, playing well, and even improves more by the end of the season, I think he'll be a surprise addition to the England squad next year.

I'm with others in hoping Austin gets overlooked by England, purely for selfish reasons to keep him fit for us. In only 2 weeks we've seen how key he is to us, now we need to keep him fit and in amongst the goals. Saints have enough games without giving a player with questionable fitness another and no break. Kudos if he gets in though I can't see that being good news for Saints.

Because earlier this season he didn't. He's improved under Puel, as we were told would happen by those who played under him.

He scored twenty something goals in the season before joining us . Its pretty rich to suggest he has improved under Puel just yet . Cuco certainly has but Austin was always this good . We just failed to get the best from him

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

He scored twenty something goals in the season before joining us . Its pretty rich to suggest he has improved under Puel just yet . Cuco certainly has but Austin was always this good . We just failed to get the best from him

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

This is true. In fact Austin was called up that year but Hogsbreath didn't put him into a match. Austin had 18 PL goals plus a few others I believe. I don't think Austin is any different now under Puel, its just that he's had to learn a new system (like the rest of the team). In fact I would suggest that both Austin and Puel have worked to find a happy medium. It seems now we are playing more of a 4-3-3, which suits Austin more, but still with a lot of the Diamond principles (that Puel likes). In my book, this is the most impressive thing about Puel so far, he actually did swtich it up a little based on the talent he has. That was a big concern for me.

I don't get worked up about Saints players getting called up for the national team anymore. I would get excited up to the point when players like Lambert, JRod and Lallana got called up, but to then see other clubs use it as an opportunity to do another form of tapping up was more than a little irritating. Soured me a little on the England team as well.

I almost hope he doesn't get called up and enjoys a rest instead (although I often wonder if all the noise about his knee and general fitness is merely some form of urban legend), but getting back into the England picture was one of Austin's stated goals when he came over from QPR so good luck Charlie, I suppose...

You must've missed the post match talk on Sky Sports one. They were saying how effective Austin was, illustrating his play on the wings, and saying he was pretty much flawless in his play.

He played all over the place yesterday, the front three interchanged. His assist came from the right striker/forward position. There's no denying he's most effective when he finds himself in central positions, or positions a striker would naturally finds oneself in. The system yesterday is good going forward, so long as Austin is allowed central whenever he wants to be. Ideally the less tracking back he has to do the better.

He was more like a left forward yesterday in a 4-3-2-1 , rather than a left wing in a 4-3-3. The problem comes when he becomes more of a left winger in a 4-3-3 and gets stuck there. The front three positioned and interchanged well yesterday.

Edited by FriendlySaint

Him in the England squad is the last thing we want. Keep him fresh, give him a rest during international breaks. Bog off Allardyce, leave our Charlie alone.

This.

Basically we want none of our present players near the England squad.

Look at what happened to the last lot all peed off to Liverpool apart from Bertram and Forster Who never actually get a game.

And this.

Sunday was his best game for Saints by an absolute mile . His hold up play was really good & a lovely little pass for the second goal . Everybody knew he could finish but I was surprised at the quality of his all round play . If he continues like this he'll be a shoe in for an England cap .

Although I understand people's anxiety about players going off to England and then getting tapped up, personally I'd be more worried if they thought they had to move clubs to get in the England set up. I think it's great that we take players & turn them into international players and I think this is off more benefit long term than one or two getting tapped up