Time for a new contract for Romeu

saintadam

How come the club hasn't offered him a new contract? I think so far this season he has stepped up and replaced Wanyama pretty good. He only has one year left next summer so its about time for the club to tie him down for three more years.

I think the club are waiting to see how he gets on over 10 games or so. Fair enough, he will get a new 3 and a half year deal come Christmas I reckon.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/03/premier-league-ten-talking-points-weekend-action

While not enjoying the way their team were outnumbered and outmuscled in central midfield by Southampton here, Leicester City fans must have found themselves reminiscing fondly about N’Golo Kanté as they watched Oriol Romeu in particular. The Spaniard was not quite as dynamic as Kanté – he is not battery-charged, after all – but he patrolled midfield with tremendous power and precision, as he has been doing for Southampton since the start of the season. The triple block he made to deny Jamie Vardy and Islam Slimani after a mistake by the normally imperious Virgil van Dijk was one of the highlights of the weekend. A knee injury hindered Romeu’s career at Stamford Bridge but now, as the 25-year-old emerges as a real force in the Premier League, Chelsea may be regretting selling him to Southampton for £5m last year. Claude Puel is not complaining. The Frenchman said: “Since the beginning of the season he has been very good in front of the defence. He is a technical player and he also can block a lot of balls. He’s very important for us. He gives a good structure to the team. He’s very interesting with the ball and without it. I like this player.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/03/premier-league-ten-talking-points-weekend-action

While not enjoying the way their team were outnumbered and outmuscled in central midfield by Southampton here, Leicester City fans must have found themselves reminiscing fondly about N’Golo Kanté as they watched Oriol Romeu in particular. The Spaniard was not quite as dynamic as Kanté – he is not battery-charged, after all – but he patrolled midfield with tremendous power and precision, as he has been doing for Southampton since the start of the season. The triple block he made to deny Jamie Vardy and Islam Slimani after a mistake by the normally imperious Virgil van Dijk was one of the highlights of the weekend. A knee injury hindered Romeu’s career at Stamford Bridge but now, as the 25-year-old emerges as a real force in the Premier League, Chelsea may be regretting selling him to Southampton for £5m last year. Claude Puel is not complaining. The Frenchman said: “Since the beginning of the season he has been very good in front of the defence. He is a technical player and he also can block a lot of balls. He’s very important for us. He gives a good structure to the team. He’s very interesting with the ball and without it. I like this player.”

I love it when the press, particularly the more intelligent variety, big up our team. Makes a change from continually highlighting how poor the opposition were.

Sign him up ... 6 year deal.

Ah yes, he's very interesting with lots of possibilities :o

There were times at the back end of last season where he was so much better than Wanyama I didn't care when Spurs signed the latter.

The latter was MoM in a near perfect Spurs team y'day. I wonder why he was not appreciated at St Marys, same as Sadio who was treated as rubbish, same as Martina...oh I see, all black

The latter was MoM in a near perfect Spurs team y'day. I wonder why he was not appreciated at St Marys, same as Sadio who was treated as rubbish, same as Martina...oh I see, all black

Nah, it was because he tangibly didn't give a toss last season apart from against the teams he wanted to sign for (and he clearly didn't fancy going to Liverpool either judging by the League Cup game). Martina and Mane get and got completely different treatment, all depending on their ability. I should also point out the incredibly loud Wanyama chanting in Arnhem which only stopped after he refused to play for Saints in Denmark and got himself an attitude.

Are you on some form of mind-altering medication?

I tend to not advocate life bans and it's not my site. Were it, I would look closely at getting rid of you. As it isn't, even though for that comment alone you possibly deserve it, I'll point out some players who don't get a load of crap and the fact of which tends to bust this incredibly stupid comment out of the water: VVD, Bertrand. They happen to get judged on what they do for the team as does everyone else which is why Tadic gets ****, JWP gets ****, Davis gets ****. Maybe the latter get **** because they're white?

Just for you:

:mcinnes:

I tend to not advocate life bans and it's not my site. Were it, I would look closely at getting rid of you. As it isn't, even though for that comment alone you possibly deserve it, I'll point out some players who don't get a load of crap and the fact of which tends to bust this incredibly stupid comment out of the water: VVD, Bertrand. They happen to get judged on what they do for the team as does everyone else which is why Tadic gets ****, JWP gets ****, Davis gets ****. Maybe the latter get **** because they're white?

Just for you:

and we hired Eric Black too so clearly no problem

Re: Romeu - he's been immense for a while now. Nice bloke too, for the 30 seconds I bothered him for a picture in Tel Aviv airport. :)

I agree even though I interrupted him whilst he was looking at duty free watches was happy to have photo taken, sign autographs and chap with me, really nice bloke

This is a disgusting comment and has no place on this forum.

Wanyama has been praised and criticised by Saints' fans, as have most of the Saints' squad at various times. Wanyama was recognised as an excellent DMF although prone to accruing bookings that turned into suspensions. Romeu has filled his boots this season so effectively that the team are not missing Victor.

As for Mane, he is missed, although his goal drought of last season was an issue. Redmond, good player that he is, is no Mane, but possibly Boufal will be but there is no doubt that the fee for Sadio has enabled strong additions to the squad, such as Hojbjerg who compliments Romeu very well.

Just for you:

Plus I think Martina is turning into a bit of a cult hero with an increasing number of posters preferring him to Soares maybe it's an anti Hispanic thing?

Vic always turned up for the games against the big six yesterday was no exception.

And really the racism card? One of the most heavily criticised players in our squad is JWP ffs.

Plonker of the year goes to .......

The fact you came up with that correlation makes you the racist one for seeing a 'difference'.

Lol you stupid dinlo - What planet are you on

Wanyama while great for us, was always a limited player who shined against the better teams, where his physical presence helped out compete teams that came to give us a game. where he struggled was when the onus was on us to play. He was never a great passer of the ball, with miss hit passes, and you where not expecting him to offer that killer pass that would break open a defense.

However when I watch Romeu play he hits great passes under pressure (except on Sunday!) digging us out of trouble, he can find people in good positions and can probe for a weakeness. Is he as physically imposing as Wanyama in a game? Hell no, but I think we need penetration against "worse teams" more often in a season than presence against "better teams"

I would love to keep him I think he is terrific and I wished he had played more for us last year.

He's been superb. That triple block yesterday reminded me of Niemi against Arsenal. I loved the way Romeu celebrated it too. You can tell he's a genuinely decent bloke as well, and very fit judging by all the work he's got through lately.

I agree even though I interrupted him whilst he was looking at duty free watches was happy to have photo taken, sign autographs and chap with me, really nice bloke

He must have been there for a while, that's also where I bothered him, as did the wife, and a couple of our mates, all whilst "defending our table" by leaving one person there, going off to get pics with the other half of the team in duty free, and getting food...

Who is Romeu's cover? Harry Reed? (I understand we have several midfield options and can switch it up I'm just curious if we have a like for like).

Well he was Romeu's replacement for the Palace game ( where he played well to be fair) so yeah safe bet to assume Harry is the back up at the moment.

Who is Romeu's cover? Harry Reed? (I understand we have several midfield options and can switch it up I'm just curious if we have a like for like).

Well he was Romeu's replacement for the Palace game ( where he played well to be fair) so yeah safe bet to assume Harry is the back up at the moment.

I think it is more likely for Puel to move Hojbjerg to DM and use Ward-Prowse/Clasie in CM alongside Davis. Puel has already used Hojbjerg as the DM in his time at Saints.

I was worried about him after the Watford game but boy is he showing signs of flourishing. I enjoyed it when he got lippy with his teammates after he bailed them out following VVD's Yoshida moment. He is showing signs that he might develop into a leader now he is the main man DM-wise.

To address the previous comment I think the fans had issues with Sadio Mane because of his inconsistency and he did not seem to care all that much at times. Or at all. He seems really happy by comparison at Liverpool, chumming it up with Klopp etc. As for Wanyama there was an extended period where it seemed obvious that he would rather not be a Saint. Destabilizing the club in the middle of qualifying for the Europa was not cool. And running down his contract so he could engineer a move to Spurs of all teams was more than a little irritating. From my perspective, Lallana has caught ten times more grief from the fans than Sadio and Victor combined.

We don't need to purchase another dm, Harrison Reed has already proved himself to be a more than adequate option there. Had Koeman not had such a downer on the youth players at Saints, Reed would be a first teamed by now. It's criminal that Ward Prowse presently gets into the matching squad ahead of him! He's going to be one he'll of a player when he gets a sustained run in the side & a manager whom believes in him!

Is Reed tall and phyiscal enough to be a DM?

If Kante is, and Nobby stiles, Claude makalele and didier deschamps were then I don't see why not. You don't have to be a physical beast to play there, though it can help. Not saying reed is in the same league, obviously, but size doesn't always matter!!

Love the dell mans comment earlier ... What a tool.

I think we'll purchase a player in this position sooner or later, and a striker.

We were certainly linked with a fair few over the summer:

- Dominik Kohr

- Idrissa Gueye

- Naby Keita

- Denis Zakaria

- Nampalys Mendy

- Didier Ndong

- Franck Kessie

- Thomas Partey

- Ozan Tufan

- Adam Nagy

- Tiemoue Bakayoko

I was worried about him after the Watford game but boy is he showing signs of flourishing. I enjoyed it when he got lippy with his teammates after he bailed them out following VVD's Yoshida moment. He is showing signs that he might develop into a leader now he is the main man DM-wise.

To address the previous comment I think the fans had issues with Sadio Mane because of his inconsistency and he did not seem to care all that much at times. Or at all. He seems really happy by comparison at Liverpool, chumming it up with Klopp etc. As for Wanyama there was an extended period where it seemed obvious that he would rather not be a Saint. Destabilizing the club in the middle of qualifying for the Europa was not cool. And running down his contract so he could engineer a move to Spurs of all teams was more than a little irritating. From my perspective, Lallana has caught ten times more grief from the fans than Sadio and Victor combined.

Agree with that. At least Lallana's strop was in the close season, and he always gave 100% IMHO.