Best and worst referees for Saints

Nordic Saint

I posted this in the West Ham match build-up thread:

"We have a fantastic record with John Moss refereeing, including our 4-0 win v Arsenal, 3-0 win v Everton and 3-0 win v Norwich, and we've won nearly every away game he's reffed, including the 2-1 win at Tottenham and 1-0 win at Swansea earlier this year. We won every game he reffed last season."

We can now add a 3-0 away win at West Ham to that.

So, does anyone know which referees we have the best and worst records with? Our winning percentage in matches with John Moss as ref must be hard to beat.

We have only won 1 of the 15 games when Lee Mason has been referee and only won 3 out of the 14 when Mark Clattenburg was the referee, and he usually gives our players a load of red and yellow cards.

If we make it to the League Cup Final, we need to hope it's Jon Moss and not Lee Mason or Mark Clattenburg refereeing.

You can usually tell which team the referee favours by his body language. Most of the game he will face the goal they are attacking. Clattenburg nearly always faces our goal, no matter where the ball is.

We have only won 1 of the 15 games when Lee Mason has been referee

Lee Mason was born in Portsmouth. Based on those stats, if he was the referee for all of our games, we'd be relegated. Should he be allowed to continue officiating our games? I think the club should appeal againts him on the grounds that he is clearly not neutral.

Even the 1 of those 15 games we won (2-1 at home to Stoke), Mason did everything he could to stop us, wrongly sending off Mane and denying Tadic a penalty:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/03/14/lee-mason-banished-to-the-dugout-after-dismal-refereeing-display/

Lee Mason was born in Portsmouth. Based on those stats, if he was the referee for all of our games, we'd be relegated. Should he be allowed to continue officiating our games? I think the club should appeal againts him on the grounds that he is clearly not neutral.

Even the 1 of those 15 games we won (2-1 at home to Stoke), Mason did everything he could to stop us, wrongly sending off Mane and denying Tadic a penalty:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/03/14/lee-mason-banished-to-the-dugout-after-dismal-refereeing-display/

Wow that's f**ked up, I'm actually quite shocked at those stats and didn't know he was from down the road.

The club should definitely look into this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Mason

In the late 1980's/early 1990's there was a ref, Gerald Ashby from Worcester who we had a particularly good record with including an injury time penalty against Newcastle that Ruddock scored from in an important bottom of the table game at The Dell.

Someone from Midland Saints is said to have had a polite word with him about this. Next time he refereed a Saints game we lost.

In the West Ham match, West Ham players fell down twice (apparently injured) asking the referee to stop the game and the referee did when saint were counter-attacking. On the other hand, in the Arsenal match, Kos was down in the penalty area but the referee allowed game to continue and Arsenal later got a penalty. To me, the situations are the same, but referees had different judgments.

In the West Ham match, West Ham players fell down twice (apparently injured) asking the referee to stop the game and the referee did when saint were counter-attacking. On the other hand, in the Arsenal match, Kos was down in the penalty area but the referee allowed game to continue and Arsenal later got a penalty. To me, the situations are the same, but referees had different judgments.

As much as it was frustrating to have to stop a counter attack, especially when Kouyate seemed to be faking it, I think most of us were thinking back to the Arsenal game when that happened...

Trevor Kettle is the worst referee I've ever seen at one of our games.

Interestingly, there is a point in the Guardian this morning about Martin Atkinson, our ref for this weekend. Out of the last 10 games he's refereed involving Saints, we've won 7 of them, losing twice. The last 10 he's reffed involving Leicester, they've only won 1, losing 5

Interestingly, there is a point in the Guardian this morning about Martin Atkinson, our ref for this weekend. Out of the last 10 games he's refereed involving Saints, we've won 7 of them, losing twice. The last 10 he's reffed involving Leicester, they've only won 1, losing 5

Just posted a thread on that literally the same time you posted this :lol:

Trevor Kettle only ever refereed 2 Saints games and we won them both. As has been pointed out, we also have a good winning record with Martin Atkinson.

• 4 months later...
We have only won 1 of the 15 games when Lee Mason has been referee and only won 3 out of the 14 when Mark Clattenburg was the referee, and he usually gives our players a load of red and yellow cards.

If we make it to the League Cup Final, we need to hope it's Jon Moss and not Lee Mason or Mark Clattenburg refereeing.

You can usually tell which team the referee favours by his body language. Most of the game he will face the goal they are attacking. Clattenburg nearly always faces our goal, no matter where the ball is.

This seems to confirm it:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/revealed-referees-your-premier-league-club-should-love-and-loathe#:XhvzHTtKw3rxsA

"Most of the game he will face the goal they are attacking".

I think you'll find that most of the game the ref will face the ball, if that happens to be in front of the goal one of the teams is attacking, well that's not really an indicator of bias, is it?