Weekend 1-2 Oct - Other Games

Batman

How many penos have Liverpool had this season? seems like they've been getting a lot.

4 in 7 League matches.

22% of Liverpool's goals have come from penalties.

----

Southampton on the other hand....

0 penalties in 6 League matches.

3 penalties against in 6 League matches. (3 matches in a row, ManU, Sunderland, Arsenal)

50% our League goals against this season have come from penalties - 3 out of 6 total.

yeah but theyve been playing that same 'forward 6' like almost every game, i guess no europe helps them.

lallana-henderson-wijnaldum

mane-firmino-coutinho

As good as they have been, their bench looks fairly ordinary, compared to the bigger teams like Utd, City and Chelsea. The real test will come when they get a couple of injuries, later on in the season.

What a difference Chadli has made to WBA. £13m very well spent.

He always scored for Spurs so I was a bit surprised he went so cheap. He is a bit one dimensional but that is what WBA needed so already looking like he might be the difference between them staying up and going down.

Gale is still stroking himself over Payet. Helmet

I don't get it. I keep hearing he took it past 5 players, but he was running across the penalty area, he didn't go past any of them? He didn't do anything tricksy it was just bad defending. I don't even think it was the best goal in that game, let alone of the season!?

I don't get it. I keep hearing he took it past 5 players, but he was running across the penalty area, he didn't go past any of them? He didn't do anything tricksy it was just bad defending. I don't even think it was the best goal in that game, let alone of the season!?

Well the hammers have got to have something to cling onto. Their start to the season, both on and off the pitch, has been disastrous. More crowd trouble yesterday due to insufficient policing and stewarding. I also didn't realise, but apparently a good 100 or so fans didn't have seats during the first game at the stadium - they'd forgot to install the seats due to an admin error - what the actual....?

377BB6B400000578-0-Some_West_Ham_fans_were_forced_to_sit_on_concrete_steps_during_t-a-21_1471897806650.jpg

Nice event stadium and all, but it's not a football ground. I think they've sold their soul and I know some of their own fans think the same.

He's officially a cup game player for them now. No sympathy.
no sympathy either. I remember a quote from him while he was on his way out of Southampton about how he wanted "to play 2 matches a week", of course alluding to European football.

well, he would have gotten that at Southampton..

but with Man U....

4 total appearances overall.

- 2' Community Shield

- 5' Bournemouth (PL)

- 90' Feyenoord (EL)

- 73' Northampton (League Cup)

Watching MotD2, the Tottenham/Man City game. Seeing the Tottenham players celebrating the first goal, an own goal by City, noticed Wanyama still putting on a miserable face on the edge of the group hug. At least what we may have thought was poor attitude, seems to have been sold with him.

One other thing: I thought goalkeepers were supposed to stay on the line when a penalty is being taken. The City keeper was dancing along the line and then jumping up and down. Is it staying on the line if you aren't in contact with the ground? Maybe refs allow it to give keepers more chance, bearing in mind that many penalties don't arise from a clear scoring chance but has the standing on the line rule been interpreted to allow this?

Goalkeepers have been allowed to move for a long time now, certainly since before I swallowed my whistle. They are not allowed to come forward off their line though but this does not seem to be enforced. Also I thought that from this season the kicker was not allowed to hesitate or 'stutter' in his run up.

Goalkeepers have been allowed to move for a long time now, certainly since before I swallowed my whistle. They are not allowed to come forward off their line though but this does not seem to be enforced. Also I thought that from this season the kicker was not allowed to hesitate or 'stutter' in his run up.

Isn't it something like "not allowed to stop" or "has to be one continuous run up", which allows for players to stutter/slow down. I think the rule should be for every stutter the taker makes, the goalkeeper should be allowed 1 step off his line. Like a game of "What's the time Mr Wolf?" Would be pretty hard to monitor/enforce mind you :rolleyes:

That came in about 2005. I remember Niemi saving a penalty away to Derby but it being retaken because he was slightly off his line, and them then scoring.

Also remember a few penalties being retaken at the time due to players stuttering their run up, but like most FA initiatives it slowly died after a couple of seasons.

That came in about 2005. I remember Niemi saving a penalty away to Derby but it being retaken because he was slightly off his line, and them then scoring.

Also remember a few penalties being retaken at the time due to players stuttering their run up, but like most FA initiatives it slowly died after a couple of seasons.

Bit like that Rugby rule on free kicks that they brought in, give the ref some mouth and he will march forwards a further 10 yards, that fizzled out too unfortunately.......... probably because Man U were copping it every game.