Redmond and Saints in general

washsaint

Amazing isn't it that we have so many resident 'experts' on here who say how ****e Redmond is. yet you read the journo reports or listen to ex-players and they have a completely different view and are glowing in their priase of him.

So who is right?

Got to say, talking to the wife while watching todays game we were both commenting on how enjoyable it is to watch the Saints style of play now. Might not be a 100mph 'up and at em' approach but is really enjoyable to watch and some of the 1 touch play today was fantastic.

Hopefully we will soon make our superior play count by scoring the goals our play deserves.

Hats off to Claude - I was skeptical about his appointment but have a feeling Les has pulled off (yet) another masterstroke!

Strikers are judged on goals, and he has 1 so far. It's not his fault, but he's being played out of position and it will take him some time to adapt to it. Can he improve his strike rate? Hopefully, but for a player that had a 1 in 10 strike rate for Norwich, he needs to improve a lot. He's a winger, but clearly Puel sees something different in him.

I like Redmond, he has a lot of pace, and links up play well, and he still has years ahead to improve. That said if Boufal hits the ground running, I'd rather see him and Tadic (2 proper creators) loading the ammunition for Austin. Still it's a squad game this season, and Redmond is a decent option to have, although I really hope we can go and sign another goalscorer in January. (I see Haller has already got 3 goals in 4 this season...)

What a difference a few weeks makes! From the rather pedestrian and lumbering performances against Watford and Sunderland to smashing WHU away and playing the champions off the park in their own gaff. Players who looked like square fish out of water now look beautifully dove-tailed into the new system, Romeu a definite upgrade on VW, Hojsberg settling nicely, I don't get the hate for SD, he fits the system well, Tadic if he could add a few goals to his game he wouldn't be playing for us, and Redmond has been generally excellent. Boufall to come too! If Austin can stay fit, and if JRod can play some games, and if Long can find last year's form we would be back as genuine top 6 contenders. Unfortunately too many ifs there and the lack of a top line striker will cost us.

But loving our football, just fantastic some of the stuff I saw on the stream yesterday, Leicester were chasing shadows as we mixed it up short and long, with one touch and triangles everywhere. Really looking fd to the Burnley game now.

I'm going to stand by what I said about Redmond. A signing that I look forward to see maturing and what I have seen so far is not a disappointment. Maybe a wrong decision at times, but he can dribble and he gets around the pitch a lot. Glad that the out and out striker role seems to have been scaled back as not sure he was ready for it.

He's not a striker as per the 'set in stone formation' - he's part of a 3 which rotate through the match, not sure why some people aren't able to see that. I think he's been great for us, if people are judging him on 'goals' because he's a 'striker' then they will be disapointed, but look at his entire game - he's doing exactly what he should as part of a 3.

What a difference a few weeks makes! From the rather pedestrian and lumbering performances against Watford and Sunderland to smashing WHU away and playing the champions off the park in their own gaff. Players who looked like square fish out of water now look beautifully dove-tailed into the new system, Romeu a definite upgrade on VW, Hojsberg settling nicely, I don't get the hate for SD, he fits the system well, Tadic if he could add a few goals to his game he wouldn't be playing for us, and Redmond has been generally excellent. Boufall to come too! If Austin can stay fit, and if JRod can play some games, and if Long can find last year's form we would be back as genuine top 6 contenders. Unfortunately too many ifs there and the lack of a top line striker will cost us.

But loving our football, just fantastic some of the stuff I saw on the stream yesterday, Leicester were chasing shadows as we mixed it up short and long, with one touch and triangles everywhere. Really looking fd to the Burnley game now.

I think that this is the main purpose of the 'diamond' and shows that it was probably worth persisting with it !

Fair do's to Claude for sticking to his guns and making it work !

Must be difficult for the opposition to figure out what is going to happen in advance !

COYS

Anyone who cant see Redmond's potential shouldn't be commenting on football, IMHO.

Hopefully he'll mature into a fine footballer!

Makes the wrong decision at times, needs to be more clinical in front of goal, but if that part of his game had already been resolved he'd be playing for a bigger club than ours...

Anyone who cant see Redmond's potential shouldn't be commenting on football, IMHO.

Hopefully he'll mature into a fine footballer!

Makes the wrong decision at times, needs to be more clinical in front of goal, but if that part of his game had already been resolved he'd be playing for a bigger club than ours...

Agree with all this. If he can develop a real cutting edge / clinical streak he will be class. He has all the attributes. This is the first time he has played in a good Premier League team, having previously played in the Champ or in the Prem for Birmingham or Norwich. Being around Boufal, Tadic, Van Dijk, Bertrand etc. will help him develop, as will European football.

He was a bargain for the price.

Is Redmond top drawer .... not yet

Does he have potential .... bags of it

IMO he's so eager to please that he tries too hard sometimes. He misses the bigger picture around him by rushing about so much. His enthusiasm will become 'fine tuned' over time, then we will see his full abilities and he will be a match winner for us.

I see a lot of similarities between Redmond and Sterling - pacy, technically gifted, willing to take on defenders, not natural strikers when it comes to finishing etc.

But as we have seen with Sterling it's all too easy to conclude that a player is amazing or crap. It has to do with context. Last season Sterling did not perform to his standards but this season under a new manager, he seems to thrive. The same could happen with Redmond, depending on how he fits in with his team mates and with Puels tactics... The potential is obvious!

He's not a striker as per the 'set in stone formation' - he's part of a 3 which rotate through the match, not sure why some people aren't able to see that. I think he's been great for us, if people are judging him on 'goals' because he's a 'striker' then they will be disapointed, but look at his entire game - he's doing exactly what he should as part of a 3.

To be in a front 3 you have to be a goal threat..

He isn't really. Good player though but more potential at the moment.

Of boufel is as good as the hype, can't see redmond being an automatic start in the league as he has been..

I think a lot of the problem is that Puel started talking about doing with Redmond what he did with Henry. Thats a hell of a comparison for anyone to have let along a young guy who has played most if not all his career as a winger. It immediately raises expectations amongst supporters.

I still maintain he will not make a striker or to put it another way, someone who can play through the middle of a three. Out wide cutting in or getting to the bye line then yes, he looks a good prospect.

But Puel is the coach and knows better than me so it is what it is, lets hope the plan with Redmond comes off.

He has all the right ingredients to be fair, just perhaps needs a few goals to spike his confidence

End of the day he averages a goal ever 11 games, we are aware of that and he will be aware of that. He needs to score a few in consecutive games and we might see more from him.

We have not seen the best of him yet - I hope

I like him & glad we have him on board. He has big potential and can only get better IMO.

He doesn't have the brain of a striker, but he causes other problems - working in the spaces between full-back & centre-back.

He stretch's teams about & creates space for others.

Maybe call him a "forward" if people can't get their head around his position.

With Boufal & Jay hopefully getting back to fitness, Claude is going to have a few new options in his selection box which bodes very well.

I like him & glad we have him on board. He has big potential and can only get better IMO.

He doesn't have the brain of a striker, but he causes other problems - working in the spaces between full-back & centre-back.

He stretch's teams about & creates space for others.

Maybe call him a "forward" if people can't get their head around his position.

With Boufal & Jay hopefully getting back to fitness, Claude is going to have a few new options in his selection box which bodes very well.

More of an inside forward? The old-fashioned number 8 if you will. Didn't score loads of goals themselves but a sort of all-action hybrid attacking midfielder, defend from the front, run about between the lines, link up with the winger, create in and around the box, bit of a work-horse cum terrier but with good all round ability, not the biggest but could hold their own physically. I think that's him, more of a Beardsley than an Henry for me (if he gets to Beardsley's level, one goal in just over every three games he will be a hell of a player, for someone else of course).

I like how keen, eager and full of running is at the end of games. I have long liked the look of Redmond, I think he will develop into a great player for us. It has taken a while for the team to adjust to the new way and I will admit I was getting a little concerned, but I think that things have turned around and its onwards and upwards.

Agree he has potential but some give work rate too much importance I see. A lot of players can run fast and constantly, but to play a starter on the best league in the world you need to bring more to the table. If you don't score at least you have to be able to set up your teammates. I haven't seen him trying to do that. He either passes back or shoots (frecuently off target)

In 10 games he has 1 goal and no assists. He has a good first touch and great pace, a lot of potential but potential can't earn you a place in the squad. With a fit Boufal I don't think he deserves a spot in the starting eleven yet.

Amazing isn't it that we have so many resident 'experts' on here who say how ****e Redmond is. yet you read the journo reports or listen to ex-players and they have a completely different view and are glowing in their priase of him.

So who is right?

Got to say, talking to the wife while watching todays game we were both commenting on how enjoyable it is to watch the Saints style of play now. Might not be a 100mph 'up and at em' approach but is really enjoyable to watch and some of the 1 touch play today was fantastic.

Hopefully we will soon make our superior play count by scoring the goals our play deserves.

Hats off to Claude - I was skeptical about his appointment but have a feeling Les has pulled off (yet) another masterstroke!

yes agreed. ..(and nice for you that you have a wife who enjoys talking football with you) .

..but with Claude Puel " jinxing " him with the " Thierry Mark 2 " brand....a lot of people expect to see him scoring more often....and in fact ...so do I .

Edited by david in sweden

He is better out wide on a 433 which Puel has started to play before going back to the diamond during the last 15-20 mins by bringing on JWP and players like that for Tadic.

When Jay Rod is fit and Boufal they will come off the bench for a few games but after that IMO they will need to both start along with Tadic, so will be interesting how he fits all of them into the team and who will start, but Jay Rod has always been the best finisher out of Him Redmond Austin and Long.

He's a good player, who causes the oppo problems, but he is not a striker. Not really a problem if we were only playing 1 up top, but as long as someone is scoring then I don't mind.

Have a feeling he'll be the one making way for Boufal when fit...which must be soon?!

After the international break apparently, so maybe an appearance off the bench against Burnley.

Redmond is playing pretty much as I thought he would i.e. flatter to deceive. He is, however, full of potential and while it might take a couple of years to show up I think he'll turn out a good 'un.

Boufal has a quite limited repertoire of 'tricks' from what I've seen and some of them we saw from videos of Gaston when he was at Bologna. I think he needs to learn a few more stepovers and so on and get used to the fact that after his first game he will find himself facing 2 or 3 players every time with quick and forceful challenges made against him but further up the pitch where the free kicks won't matter so much. It will be fun to see him in the opposition area with the ball at his feet and defenders crapping themselves because it seems few defenders in our league can now tackle a good dribbler. HBS' defence actually seemed quite good at getting in tackles from what I remember.

So who is right?

He has a similar role in practice to the one Lallana and Mane had - gets the ball in midfield and holds it up, links play, creates space for others. Probably shouldn't be judging him on his goalscoring record. Goes sideways a fair bit but doesn't matter as long as we make a chance eventually.

He is better out wide on a 433 which Puel has started to play before going back to the diamond during the last 15-20 mins by bringing on JWP and players like that for Tadic.

When Jay Rod is fit and Boufal they will come off the bench for a few games but after that IMO they will need to both start along with Tadic, so will be interesting how he fits all of them into the team and who will start, but Jay Rod has always been the best finisher out of Him Redmond Austin and Long.

I think he's been equally effective out wide and in the middle. He'll be glad for Rodriguez being injured when Boufal is fit though.

Regardless of my own thoughts either way of Redmond so far, this is not the glowing recommendation it seems. 'Merse' can barely spell his own name at times let alone come out with a coherent thought.

He has a similar role in practice to the one Lallana and Mane had - gets the ball in midfield and holds it up, links play, creates space for others. Probably shouldn't be judging him on his goalscoring record. Goes sideways a fair bit but doesn't matter as long as we make a chance eventually.

I think maybe many of us wouldn't .......if only Claude Puel hadn't mentioned him ....and Thierry Henry.... in the same breath. :mcinnes:

• 2 months later...