OWTS: BRAND SPANKING NEW FANZINE

rickylambert

I hope its a **** take fanzine and not a sterile alternative to the match day magazine. Back in the day it was about dodgy away trips and players' crap haircuts or clothes (or ugly girlfriends). Football has changed so much now, the players, the fans and the match day experience, so i'm not sure you could replicate the culture as was done in the 80's and 90's.

There's lots about our trip to Israel and **** hair XI in there too. Hope you enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afternoon All,

You may remember seeing a thread about 6 months ago, on the idea of a new Saints Fanzine. I equpied the thread with a fancy questionaire and many of you helped me out by taking part in it.

Well, today 300 silky copies arrived at my desk. With the help of Simon Peach, Chris Rann (Writer of blog 'George Weah's Cousin') as well as Glen de la Cour (Writer of 'League One Minus Ten') and The Guardian's Shaul Adar, I've managed to put together this witty publication.

The best bit is that all 'proceeds' will end up in the pockets of Southampton General's neurology ward, one of the UK's finest.

So, if you can afford a few of quid for a great cause, We'd all be very appreciative:http://www.owts.bigcartel.com

Got my copy today. Good effort, will these be on sale around grounds going forward?

As others have said, Saints fanzines back in the 90s were good and a good guide for future efforts, Ugly Inside mid to late 90s before they got too political in particular.

Got my copy today. Good effort, will these be on sale around grounds going forward?

As others have said, Saints fanzines back in the 90s were good and a good guide for future efforts, Ugly Inside mid to late 90s before they got too political in particular.

Glad you liked it! Yes, I'll have sellers at Burnley, Chelsea and Inter away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received it a few days ago but only got round to reading it now.

I like the content but the anal part of me can't get past the typos or layout.

If that is fixed for issue 2 you're on to a winner :)

That was part of the appeal back in the day, when it looked liked it had been chucked together in somebody's spare room, the original 'cut and paste'.

The Ugly Inside fanzine set a good benchmark for originality and humour (if a bit too political from one or two towards the end), look forward to picking one up at the next home game.

That was part of the appeal back in the day, when it looked liked it had been chucked together in somebody's spare room, the original 'cut and paste'.

The Ugly Inside fanzine set a good benchmark for originality and humour (if a bit too political from one or two towards the end), look forward to picking one up at the next home game.

Ha yeah you're probably right... think I've been hammered for too long to make things uniform and consistent :)

As I said, the content was good - which is ultimately the important thing

Mine arrived Friday. To be honest I was disappointed with it. I was expecting a fanzine like the old ugly inside and on the march of the 80s. There was lots of comedy banter and **** takes in the old ones and was expecting something like that. This was more of a smaller version of the match day magazine with lots of adverts and not much content. I'm not knocking the effort put in on this and it's for a great cause but it's just not what I was hoping for or expecting

Mine arrived Friday. To be honest I was disappointed with it. I was expecting a fanzine like the old ugly inside and on the march of the 80s. There was lots of comedy banter and **** takes in the old ones and was expecting something like that. This was more of a smaller version of the match day magazine with lots of adverts and not much content. I'm not knocking the effort put in on this and it's for a great cause but it's just not what I was hoping for or expecting

The thing is, it would never be like the originals from the 80s, everything is too polished today, the laying up, the printing, the paper and as for content, the libel! They'd never get away now with what they did back then.

I haven't seen it yet but never really expected it to be too much like the old UI, more a glossy modern day mag with a bit of edgy humour. It's a nice day, might dig out a few old 'Uglies' and sit out in the garden reminiscing with a few beers.

The thing is, it would never be like the originals from the 80s, everything is too polished today, the laying up, the printing, the paper and as for content, the libel! They'd never get away now with what they did back then.

I haven't seen it yet but never really expected it to be too much like the old UI, more a glossy modern day mag with a bit of edgy humour. It's a nice day, might dig out a few old 'Uglies' and sit out in the garden reminiscing with a few beers.

Yeah you're right you just can't get away with some of the stuff they used to have in them!!! It's a shame cos that was the whole appeal! ! I think as well the fact it was just thrown together and in paper version was what made it special. Good idea dig out the old ones and have a good laugh at the mock ups of Ian dowie and co

Hiya Mate, I completely understand where your coming from, but like the poster above said, there are a number of factors preventing me from taking on the same idea as the Ugly Inside. Firstly its for a charitable cause, but its not the orthodox way of raising money...Subsequentley when you approach someone like an NHS Hospital, saying your making a fanzine in there name, they do have some hesititaion because of the sterotype it represents (A sweary magazine that takes the **** out of people)

Secondly, like I say in the ed notes, its for a qualification I'm trying to get and it must have a level of, well formed opinion...This won't be the case for Issue 2 (The qualification thing) and I'll try and get closer to the famous old Ugly Inside.

On ads, there will be significantly less in the next issue, as we needed some form of cash flow to buy software, images from people like Getty and to print the magazine. Hope this clears some things up for people who may have been thinking the same thing, as it was a concern for me also.

Edited by rickylambert
typo

Hiya Mate, I completely understand where your coming from, but like the poster above said, there are a number of factors preventing me from taking on the same idea as the Ugly Inside. Firstly its for a charitable cause, but its not the orthodox way of raising money...Subsequentley when you approach someone like an NHS Hospital, saying your making a fanzine in there name, they do have some hesititaion because of the sterotype it represents (A sweary magazine that takes the **** out of people)

Secondly, like I say in the ed notes, its for a qualification I'm trying to get and it must have a level of, well formed opinion...This won't be the case for Issue 2 (The qualification thing) and I'll try and get closer to the famous old Ugly Inside.

On ads, there will be significantly less in the next issue, as we needed some form of cash flow to buy software, images from people like Getty and to print the magazine. Hope this clears some things up for people who may have been thinking the same thing, as it was a concern for me also.

No problem mate. Like I said it's a smashing effort and I'm sure you'll get your qualification . It is nicely done and you should be proud of it.

No issue with typos or layout, much smarter than 99% of fanzines.

In fact I'd suggest saving on production costs and lower the price a little.

I couldn't even finish the introduction due to the appalling misuse of apostrophes, after I've had a week to calm down I might actually read some of the contributions. Talk about giving yourself away.

I was looking out for some reviews on here so thank you for this. Your comments should be taken in the spirit in which they are meant as constructive feedback to the authors and as such properly taken on board can only improve the product. I have no idea what the vision of the author is for this fanzine but it will be a challenge to come up with controversial or interesting new stuff with so much club information tightly controlled by the club and selectively drip fed to us through the OS. They'll need a couple of good spies with access beyond the screens to really make this work for most fans. The fans views are adequately served by several fan websites and no doubt the club is plugged into those already.

Holbury Saint, you had expectations - what did you expect? The problem for most of us is that we think it sounds like a good idea but if pressed on what we might expect from the publication might not be able to come up with very much; not sure where the gaps are?

Good effort. The best article was the one I wrote of course.

In response to the poster who mentioned it being a bit too 'clean'.... It's my usual style to write expletive laden material but thought better of it for this fanzine. It wasn't the editor that told me to do this... if he had then I would have submitted a critique of Adam Lallana, Ronald Koeman and Calum Chambers which would have had about 50% libelous material in it.

Read this on the plane to Milan, didnt take too long tbf.

I dont want to sound too harsh on someone giving something a go, but it was like....boring.

There were so many adverts, i gave up on a couple of articles because of the font size, I mean it was ridiculous.

The articles (all three or four of them) were very straightforward, but it was the sort of thing you can read anywhere.

Where is the In's and Out's column, where's the cartoon, the funny stories, the players' **** takes.....

I mean it really took me about 10 minutes to read and I dont represent that as good value for a pound.

Not seen the Milan edition and i am struggling to understand how you can charge more for an online copy than a hard copy?

Sorry mate, but get the typeset sorted and inject some gutter humour.

Read this on the plane to Milan, didnt take too long tbf.

I dont want to sound too harsh on someone giving something a go, but it was like....boring.

There were so many adverts, i gave up on a couple of articles because of the font size, I mean it was ridiculous.

The articles (all three or four of them) were very straightforward, but it was the sort of thing you can read anywhere.

Where is the In's and Out's column, where's the cartoon, the funny stories, the players' **** takes.....

I mean it really took me about 10 minutes to read and I dont represent that as good value for a pound.

Not seen the Milan edition and i am struggling to understand how you can charge more for an online copy than a hard copy?

Sorry mate, but get the typeset sorted and inject some gutter humour.

In fairness, it is for charity.

In fairness, it is for charity.

Cant knock that but I think it's actually for a uni project. So maybe it's a commercial course whereby he has to sell the product but is commendably donating the profits to charity.

Just call it as I see it, nothing personal just thought it could have been produced much better for starters let alone the content material.

Cant knock that but I think it's actually for a uni project. So maybe it's a commercial course whereby he has to sell the product but is commendably donating the profits to charity.

Just call it as I see it, nothing personal just thought it could have been produced much better for starters let alone the content material.

It was on sale for a £1, not sure if that would earn much credit on a commercial course, though great feedback if it is a project.