SAINTS vs Burnley

nta786

I fully expect the Burnley team to be stronger than the Inter team we'll face next Thursday.

Must take three points at home to Burnley, otherwise we have dropped a host of points that should be in the bag and just have to find them from much tougher fixtures.

Get the win, take a check on fitness for Inter, then play a side that can get the job done against a major European team in name only this season - they can't wait to be out of it.

Targett is fit

Not according to the echo. Sounds like the club are hopeful he will be fit but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wasn't.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14795104.McQueen_on_stand_by_as_Saints_suffer/

Aidy Boothroyd left Targett out of the squad to face Kazakhstan last week as a precaution, but expected him to be fit to face Bosnia and Herzegovina in Walsall yesterday.

But Targett was still unable to take part and was allowed to leave the squad to return to Saints for treatment.

Though there is optimism that Targett will make a quick recovery, it is highly unlikely he will be deemed fit enough to risk over three games in the space of a week.

Not according to the echo. Sounds like the club are hopeful he will be fit but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wasn't.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14795104.McQueen_on_stand_by_as_Saints_suffer/

Aidy Boothroyd left Targett out of the squad to face Kazakhstan last week as a precaution, but expected him to be fit to face Bosnia and Herzegovina in Walsall yesterday.

But Targett was still unable to take part and was allowed to leave the squad to return to Saints for treatment.

Though there is optimism that Targett will make a quick recovery, it is highly unlikely he will be deemed fit enough to risk over three games in the space of a week.

The Echo generally know ***** all. Awful paper.

Mental.

it's not mental, we'll beat Burnley plenty of times over our recent history, a win in the San Siro would be historical moment for the football club and it's fans that will be talked about long after the Burnley game is forgotten.

it's not mental, we'll beat Burnley plenty of times over our recent history, a win in the San Siro would be historical moment for the football club and it's fans that will be talked about long after the Burnley game is forgotten.

But does little or nothing to succeed this season. More important than having a stat in a history book that says we once won in the San Siro. As I said before with the team Inter are putting out we could still win with a weakened team, and if we don't it doesn't matter too much as long as we win when Inter come to St Marys. Thinking that SFC will target a win in Milan over a PL win may not be mental, but its fanciful not based on reality and won't happen. Fully expect Fonte and probably Davis not to be included again, unless injuries force our hand.

But does little or nothing to succeed this season. More important than having a stat in a history book that says we once won in the San Siro. As I said before with the team Inter are putting out we could still win with a weakened team, and if we don't it doesn't matter too much as long as we win when Inter come to St Marys. Thinking that SFC will target a win in Milan over a PL win may not be mental, but its fanciful not based on reality and won't happen. Fully expect Fonte and probably Davis not to be included again, unless injuries force our hand.

Would be criminal if that was the case.

We could still beat Burnley with a weakened team using exactly the same logic you are using.

We don't need to play a weakened team against Burnley. We can still play a full strength team in Milan. It's MCFC away where we should be "utilising the squad".

And a direct flight to a major European city a couple/three hours away is not comparable to a trek to Isreal.

Whatever we say on here, I'll bet the players would rather play (and win) on Thursday than Sunday

Irrespective of Inter Milan's attitude to the EL, they'll have grown up in an era of Ronaldo, Vieri, Eto'o and Mourinho, and will remember watching games at the San Siro. We play teams like Burnley week in week out, who knows when we'll play there next?

Would imagine they'll be a lot of disappointed players (not playing at San Siro) come this time next week. We will continue to rotate squad for EL games until the knockout stages. PL will take priority, rightly or wrongly.

Personally, I would love us to play strongest team in Milan and risk the points at city, but just can't see that happening.

It's worth remembering that we are unbeaten in EL, so the his team selections haven't let him down... Yet.

Would imagine they'll be a lot of disappointed players (not playing at San Siro) come this time next week. We will continue to rotate squad for EL games until the knockout stages. PL will take priority, rightly or wrongly.

Personally, I would love us to play strongest team in Milan and risk the points at city, but just can't see that happening.

It's worth remembering that we are unbeaten in EL, so the his team selections haven't let him down... Yet.

Would imagine puel will blend the supposed first and second teams for the next 2. How about

Ff cedric fonte vvd mcqueen rom classie davis boufall austin jrod for Burnley

Ff cuco yoshi vvd target rom hoj jwp tadic redmond long for inter.

Make some subs to give fonte austin some game time in milan. Should have enough to win both games

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Would imagine puel will blend the supposed first and second teams for the next 2. How about

Ff cedric fonte vvd mcqueen rom classie davis boufall austin jrod for Burnley

Ff cuco yoshi vvd target rom hoj jwp tadic redmond long for inter.

Make some subs to give fonte austin some game time in milan. Should have enough to win both games

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Long may not be fit.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Winning in the San Siro is once in a lifetime. I'd have long forgotten about Burnley at home by Sunday evening.

Well seeing as I will be at the Burnley game and won't be in Italy I'll take a win against Burnley over Inter any day of the week. Happily thrash Inter at SMS as I will be at that game.

What's all this talk about wrapping Fonte in cotton wool for the Europe games. What happened to his statement about "I can't wait to play again in Europe". Hasn't played one minute yet. Also, why aren't JRod and Boufal certainties to play some time in these upcoming games? How long can they go on playing the injured card? These guys need to man up!

The stat in the history book about finishing 8th rather than 9th in the prem one year is slightly less inspiring than a big away night in Europe. Wish I was going.

Winning in the San Siro is once in a lifetime. I'd have long forgotten about Burnley at home by Sunday evening.

You might well think that but I'll be rather more chuffed if we win well against Burnley and have 12 pts and are up to 8th on Sunday evening. Winning in the San Siro under the present circumstances means nothing. Hollow victory.

You might well think that but I'll be rather more chuffed if we win well against Burnley and have 12 pts and are up to 8th on Sunday evening. Winning in the San Siro under the present circumstances means nothing. Hollow victory.

Spoken like a man who isn't going.

The stat in the history book about finishing 8th rather than 9th in the prem one year is slightly less inspiring than a big away night in Europe. Wish I was going.

Wish I was going too. But I would be happy to see a weakened Saints teams beat a weakened Milan team, and I fully expect it to happen. We don't need to play our full strength team out there, and we won't. Milan have already lost to Praha who we easily beat, and also lost to Beer'Sheva. They are not interested in qualifying because of the restrictions put on them by FFP. Even if we don't win it really won't matter, we will still probably qualify. We must beat Burnley, and it is daft to believe that we would definitely do that with a weakened team, we might do, but we might not, we cannot afford to take that risk, we need 3 points, and we also need to ensure we have a strong team against City 3 days after the Milan trip. Sentiment is not (or should not be) a factor in our planning.

Seeing as after Burnley we have Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool in our next 4 pl games ( the other being Hull) it would suggest to me we need to pick up three points against Burnely. So strong team for Burnley second string at Inter we probably only need a draw at Inter to get out of the group stages.

Just read that Burnley keeper Tom Heaton had to leave the recent England squad due to an injury problem.

If he's still unfit, then new signing Nick Pope will make his debut :scared:......let's hope " the curse of the debutant keeper " has left Saints by now.

The history of such " custodians " who debut against us, and then play out of their skins has haunted Saints for 50 years.

Bertrand, Cedric out. Long doubtful

important to recover quickly, we have a lot of games

McQueen is an option at LB and an interesting one

we could see him feature

we have young Valery at RB, it is too early for him, he is very young

Maya can play sometimes in fullback

but he does not have the same profile as Martina and Cedric

it is important that fullbacks participate in the play offensively

the players understand that the rotation is important and they all cant play every 3 days and keep good results

important to keep players fresh as much as possible

we have 15 international players, this is very interesting for the squad and we have many competitions to play in

Burnley is what we are focusing on, then we look to Inter Milan

the Inter game is interesting as we are in a mini championship to qualify from the group

Prefer to win than worry about clean sheets.

We will show we are strong and we are solid but more important is the win

we could see him feature

the players understand that the rotation is important and they all cant play every 3 days and keep good results

we have 15 international players, this is very interesting for the squad and we have many competitions to play in

the Inter game is interesting as we are in a mini championship to qualify from the group

Was there no mention of boufal or jrod?

we could see him feature

Great job as ever

giphy.gif

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

My #saintsfc injury report following my chat with Puel:

Bertrand out Sunday but running

Cedric out 2-3wks

Targett in squad

Long has trained

Boufal training wth squad & will be eased in

J-Rod - fit

Gardos playing tonight for U23