Shane Long's gaff

FloridaMarlin

The premier league footballer has never been further removed from the fans. Sometimes I seriously question why I still follow football, it's obscene.

This.

All this rubbish about needing the pay because it's a short term career blah blah blah.

Well how about like most people they buy a NORMAL house, with 1 or 2 cars (not over the top) and SAVE the rest of the money in investments etc.

Isn't this what most people do? Of course those lucky enough to be able to buy a house and car I mean.

This.

All this rubbish about needing the pay because it's a short term career blah blah blah.

Well how about like most people they buy a NORMAL house, with 1 or 2 cars (not over the top) and SAVE the rest of the money in investments etc.

Isn't this what most people do? Of course those lucky enough to be able to buy a house and car I mean.

This.

Always struck me as odd that people found footballers like Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen, who I believe invested a lot in property, building up a portfolio that gave an excellent return in rent as unusual. Those type of not exactly spectacular but steadily returning investments are surely common sense when you earn that much money?

This.

Exactly. A 15 year career on just an average of £10,000 a week gives you £7,800,000. Piece of **** to make that last the remaining years of your life, and as you say you can invest it wisely to grow it even further.

Always struck me as odd that people found footballers like Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen, who I believe invested a lot in property, building up a portfolio that gave an excellent return in rent as unusual. Those type of not exactly spectacular but steadily returning investments are surely common sense when you earn that much money?

Just buy a wedge of decent, normal houses to rent out etc. You will be set. Not rocket science but some fail to grasp that in the football world I guess

This.

He's not most people though is he. I mean, leave aside the fact that he's a professional footballer. His trade is not what makes him exceptional, it's the fact he's in the top 0.01% of what he does, and is compensated accordingly. The most successful other sportsmen, as well as musicians, actors, tv presenters, barristers, solicitors, doctors, surgeons, businessmen, financiers, developers, etc etc etc, are paid similarly and have similar (if not significantly bigger and more opulent) houses and cars. In fact Shane Long's place isn't really anything to write home about.

Is it 'right' that someone gets paid so much to play football? Well that's a different issue entirely. But Long isn't well paid because he's a footballer. He's well paid because, relatively speaking, he's a very very good footballer.

This.

Actually the best investment is most likely property and he seems to spend his money on his house and family not on drink gambling drugs etc like many others

I was actually quite impressed with how down to earth and normal him and his family appeared to be given their comparative wealth and how thankful he is for his good fortune.

He no doubt worked hard to get where he is (one of the top footballers in the country) and he remains a lot more down to earth than many bankers and financial consultants property developers show biz personnel and other famous sports stars.

Best of luck to him I say and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Exactly. A 15 year career on just an average of £10,000 a week gives you £7,800,000. Piece of **** to make that last the remaining years of your life, and as you say you can invest it wisely to grow it even further.

Only in Portsmouth. Everybody else donates half of it to the Government in tax.

Actually the best investment is most likely property and he seems to spend his money on his house and family not on drink gambling drugs etc like many others

I was actually quite impressed with how down to earth and normal him and his family appeared to be given their comparative wealth and how thankful he is for his good fortune.

He no doubt worked hard to get where he is (one of the top footballers in the country) and he remains a lot more down to earth than many bankers and financial consultants property developers show biz personnel and other famous sports stars.

Best of luck to him I say and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

That's the way I see it too.

Thought this thread was going to be about a glaring miss from 5 yards.

As for the house, I really don't think it's anything to write home about, relatively speaking. As someone else pointed out, there are people who have been top doctors, lawyers, judges, bankers etc. Who have similarly affluent lifestyles.

If you want to see something truly obscene, watch those MTV 'Cribbs' shows. Some of those American celebs just have disgusting amounts of disposable income. People with their own private golf course, wearing jewellery which would have paid for crop irrigation for half of Africa.

I'll say it if nobody else will - he's been incredibly lucky and is a very average footballer. Great that he has invested it wisely but if the premier league had any ounce of quality required rather that athleticism and average skill he may not live that lifestyle. I. bet MLG must curse not being born 10yrs later. And before you all start I like shlong - but he isn't exactly a brilliant footballer is he ?. Fair play fella and good you have your head screwed on.

I'll say it if nobody else will - he's been incredibly lucky and is a very average footballer. Great that he has invested it wisely but if the premier league had any ounce of quality required rather that athleticism and average skill he may not live that lifestyle. I. bet MLG must curse not being born 10yrs later. And before you all start I like shlong - but he isn't exactly a brilliant footballer is he ?. Fair play fella and good you have your head screwed on.

Gary Player quote "the harder you work the luckier you are"!

Yes inevitably a degree of luck is involved in all success however you need to be clever enough to realise and capable enough to exploit any opportunities that Come your way in life and that he has done!

I'm no fan of him as a player but being an average Premier League footballer is a bit like saying you're sleeping with an average looking Miss World contestant. He's still one of the top 0.1% of footballers in the world.

For all the stick that many agents rightly get as venal, greedy sharks, a good agent will be more to his client than somebody who just takes his percentage.

A footballer's career is relatively short and while a small minority of professionals (compare the PL's top earners with what those in the Football League earn) pull in extraordinary sums of money, their earning power lasts around 15 years.

A good, responsible agent will ensure his client doesn't become one of the examples we all know of those who either ****ed or gamble their money away or shoved it up their noses.

A good agent will set up a good investment portfolio for his client, so that he has a good income when he is retired.

Matt Oakley told me years ago that he would be able to retire at 35 if he wanted as his agent had set things up, and that was before the really huge money came into the top flight. He's still playing or involved because he loves it, he doesn't need the money.

You could not say that Long is among the PL's top earners, although to put things into perspective, he earns the sort of money the vast majority of those who watch him could not even dream about.

It looks as though he is enjoying the trappings that go with being a PL player, but while you could argue that having a fleet of top of the range cars is a bit ostentatious to say the least, he looks to be a good family man, with his feet on the ground and his head screwed on.

I don't begrudge him it, and didn't put the OP up to be judgemental. I just thought it was an interesting insight.

The premier league footballer has never been further removed from the fans. Sometimes I seriously question why I still follow football, it's obscene.
Don't see what difference it makes really. Being a Premier League footballer isn't easy. They're paid that for a reason.

A footballer's career is relatively short and while a small minority of professionals (compare the PL's top earners with what those in the Football League earn) pull in extraordinary sums of money, their earning power lasts around 15 years.

This is such a red herring, sure you can only be a footballer for a certain period, but there is no rule about only being allowed one career. Footballers could get a job after football just like they used to.

I'm jealous too, but if I were going to be resentful, it would just make me jealous and mean spirited.

there are a hell of a lot of people that actually earn resentment, so I won't waste it on someone that seems like a very decent bloke.

Edited by Ohio Saint

This is such a red herring, sure you can only be a footballer for a certain period, but there is no rule about only being allowed one career. Footballers could get a job after football just like they used to.

Of course they can and I never said they couldn't.

Years ago, because they did not earn as much and were not financially secure, the main options for retired players was either to move into management or to run a pub.

Running a pub is hardly a viable option for anybody these days, let alone a former professional sportsman.

Not every player wants to go into management and I'm sure we can all think of players we thought would make good managers who haven't taken up the option.

Players invariably take stick if take what appears to be the easy option and work in the media as pundits.

It's not a red herring at all. While players can easily find an alternative career when they finish playing, it's unlikely to be as lucrative as when they were playing, a career that lasts around 15 years.

I don't think you could expect to see the CEO of Tesco or Sainsbury's stacking baked bean cans on shelves when they retire and while us mere mortals would find it easier to do something more menial to supplement our income when we retire {I'll have no problems stacking shelves, if I need to) I don't think footballers can do that.

I'm not saying it's right and I don't feel hugely sorry for somebody who pulls in a week more than I do in a year, but while most of us can expect to have a working life of 40-plus years, a sportsman's maximum earning power is around 15 years.

Do you use a bank?

Life is unfair just accept it and make the best of what you can and get on with it! Try to change what you can and accept the things you can't!

People in Iraq and Syria and large parts of Africa and Asia think your life is unfair too!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

well ....he's in a profession that pays well, and don't kid yourself he's the highest paid footballer in the land, because he surely isn't.

This type of house goes with the lifestyle, and although it's a real luxury place - and we can see that when his car runs out of petrol, he can go out and buy another...but

he really does seem a down-to-Earth guy with a nice family. I don't begrudge him his success, he has to make it while it's going.....

This.

Exactly, my Army career was about as long as a footballers (22 years)

I took far more risks and put my body under plenty of stress....nobody made me a millionaire though :rolleyes:

Of course they can and I never said they couldn't.

Years ago, because they did not earn as much and were not financially secure, the main options for retired players was either to move into management or to run a pub.

Running a pub is hardly a viable option for anybody these days, let alone a former professional sportsman.

Not every player wants to go into management and I'm sure we can all think of players we thought would make good managers who haven't taken up the option.

Players invariably take stick if take what appears to be the easy option and work in the media as pundits.

It's not a red herring at all. While players can easily find an alternative career when they finish playing, it's unlikely to be as lucrative as when they were playing, a career that lasts around 15 years.

I don't think you could expect to see the CEO of Tesco or Sainsbury's stacking baked bean cans on shelves when they retire and while us mere mortals would find it easier to do something more menial to supplement our income when we retire {I'll have no problems stacking shelves, if I need to) I don't think footballers can do that.

I'm not saying it's right and I don't feel hugely sorry for somebody who pulls in a week more than I do in a year, but while most of us can expect to have a working life of 40-plus years, a sportsman's maximum earning power is around 15 years.

Nothing you have said explains why it's not a red herring. You are mixing up their working life, which for a footballer is 40 years like the rest if us with the period of maximum earning power. They are two different things and no football club is benevolent to the point that they pay top money because they are worried about a footballers short career they pay the money because of market forces.

By your logic the benevolent thing to do would be to pay footballers less so that the come down to their second career is not so great to make it as difficult.

I know a surgeon with a much bigger house than that. I'd argue it's easier to become a surgeon than it is a premier league international footballer.

That said, I don't care what his house is like. Fair play to him. Fair play to all footballers. They have what I want. And when it comes to Shlong, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. The sort of guy you'd be happy for your daughter to be with.

I remember walking around Pirrie Close (?) in Shirley hoping to see Ron Davies in his garden. A 1930's semi if I recall correctly,the same as his neighbour and all the other houses, no electric gates, just a gravel drive to his front door. How things have changed

I know a surgeon with a much bigger house than that. I'd argue it's easier to become a surgeon than it is a premier league international footballer.

That said, I don't care what his house is like. Fair play to him. Fair play to all footballers. They have what I want. And when it comes to Shlong, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. The sort of guy you'd be happy for your daughter to be with.

:lol::lol:

It's no wonder celebs and stars get burgled and held to random when they flaunt their wealth and possessions. publicly like this. Can imagine Shane's security will need upgrading as every big time criminal drauls over what a amazing target this property presents. Lord forbid it ever happens and Shane and family get to live out their well earned life style in peace and safety

Exactly, my Army career was about as long as a footballers (22 years)

I took far more risks and put my body under plenty of stress....nobody made me a millionaire though :rolleyes:

You didn't join the Army to earn as much as a professional footballer (or if you did, you've got mental health issues). Society isn't 'fair'. Soldiers and nurses and teachers get paid a pittance and the people who earn the most are the people who do what's worth the least, from an ethical/moral perspective. That's how it is. There is no perfect social utopia.

What I always struggle to understand is how one of their own - Francis Benali and his Big Race slowly lumbers past £300,000 in donations whilst all the football clubs Fran visits have many footballers on the same monies as Shane Long. Meanwhile we, the fan, are asked to text a £5 donation.

The wealth in Premier League football could give a massive boost to Cancer Research and many other needy causes.....

I recall some cabbie claiming to have transport connections to the club. It could have all been bs, but he mentioned that SRL had initially moved into a posh gaff in chilworth but didn't feel comfortable there so he moved to a smaller place in north baddesley. I do know he drank in the baddesley arms, and that he lived in middle road. I don't suppose any pl footballers are likely to struggle for cash in their retirements.

I recall some cabbie claiming to have transport connections to the club. It could have all been bs, but he mentioned that SRL had initially moved into a posh gaff in chilworth but didn't feel comfortable there so he moved to a smaller place in north baddesley. I do know he drank in the baddesley arms, and that he lived in middle road. I don't suppose any pl footballers are likely to struggle for cash in their retirements.

I think a lot do struggle. There is a high rate of bankruptcy among many ex players. Badly advised, bad investments and continuing to spend like they are still on 30K a week.

What I always struggle to understand is how one of their own - Francis Benali and his Big Race slowly lumbers past £300,000 in donations whilst all the football clubs Fran visits have many footballers on the same monies as Shane Long. Meanwhile we, the fan, are asked to text a £5 donation.

The wealth in Premier League football could give a massive boost to Cancer Research and many other needy causes.....

Good point.