Milan drinking spots

Saint Garrett

So where are the congregation points for next Thursday before the game then?

Can't say I've ever been to Milan, so no idea what it's like, everyone I've spoken to who has been has said it's nto that nice and to beware of pickpocketers!

Can't see it being difficult to find Saints fans with 8000+ going out there, however would be good to have recommendations from anyone who knows...

Always been very disappointed with Milan. The San Siro is the most impressive thing. Parca Di Monza on race day of course. Cathedral. La Scala. Corso Magenta.

It is a featureless and dull, light industrial-business city, no buzz at all. Surprising, given that it is meant to be the centre of Italian fashion.

Naviglio Grande (Porta Genova F.S.), Corso Como (Garibaldi F.S.) & Corso Sempione are the best drinking spots, in that order.

Probably best to remember that Italy doesn't have an anglo-saxon drinking culture at all like Northern European countries, it has a food culture. Italians find it incredibly weird that you would drink alcohol without eating food. As such, everything is "aperitivo", so all drinks cost the same (around €8, whether its a beer, wine or a cocktail), and there is a free buffet with lots of food, generally the better the buffet on offer, the livelier the place will be.

As for Milan being a disappointing business city, well it is basically the Italian economy, I'm not sure what you'd really expect. It's not a big city the size of New York, London or Paris, more of a medium size city like Manchester, Marseille or Frankfurt.

There are lot's of things to see and do, if you know what you want to see and are interested in the things on offer. As the other poster mentioned, La Scala, Duomo, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II are all at the Duomo metro station. Brera is a lovely pedestrian area there for eating in a restaurant near there. Other than that there is Castello Sforzesco, Di Vinci's Last Supper, Pinacoteca di Brera & the Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio to name a few... There's a reason it's known as a culture city rather than a party city.

I would suggest the Naviglio Grande is the best place to go drinking anyway, there are loads and loads of bars and restaurants there along the canal.

As to the club suggesting Saints fans go to Duomo, it's probably probably because there's nowhere to buy alcohol and it's heavily policed by the army, carabinieri, state and local police at all times, so you're not likely to get into any trouble if you're there ;)

P.S. Avoid the area around Stazione Centrale.

Edited by Surman4no7shirt

Naviglio Grande (Porta Genova F.S.), Corso Como (Garibaldi F.S.) & Corso Sempione are the best drinking spots, in that order.

Probably best to remember that Italy doesn't have an anglo-saxon drinking culture at all like Northern European countries, it has a food culture. Italians find it incredibly weird that you would drink alcohol without eating food. As such, everything is "aperitivo", so all drinks cost the same (around €8, whether its a beer, wine or a cocktail), and there is a free buffet of lots of food.

As for Milan being a disappointing business city, well it is basically the Italian economy, I'm not sure what you'd really expect. It's not a big city the size of New York, London or Paris, more of a medium size city like Manchester, Marseille or Frankfurt.

There are lot's of things to see and do, if you know what you want to see and are interested in the things on offer. As the other poster mentioned, La Scala, Duomo, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II are all at the Duomo metro station. Brera is a lovely pedestrian area there for eating in a restaurant near there. Other than that there is Castello Sforzesco, Di Vinci's Last Supper, Pinacoteca di Brera & the Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio to name a few... There's a reason it's known as a culture city rather than a party city.

I would suggest the Naviglio Grande is the best place to go drinking anyway, there are loads and loads of bars and restaurants there along the canal.

As to the club suggesting Saints fans go to Duomo, it's probably probably because there's nowhere to buy alcohol and it's heavily policed by the army, carabinieri, state and local police at all times, so you're not likely to get into any trouble if you're there ;)

P.S. Avoid the area around Stazione Centrale.

Will most places around Navigli canal be open all day, or mainly just in the evenings?

Will most places around Navigli canal be open all day, or mainly just in the evenings?

Couldn't say with certainty, I'm not really a daytime drinker, at least in the week. At the weekend everything is open all day, and having a look quick at some of the places on Trip Advisor seems like most places are open all day. Almost everywhere will be open for lunch. Some places might close between 15:00-19:00.

Its a bit of a trek to the stadium though? Having to go into the centre and then back out to the san siro?

Before the match Corso Como might be better, you can get the new M5 Metro from Garibaldi F.S. directly to the new San Siro station or Lotto (which is the station the club are suggesting) in about 15 mins.

From Porta Genova to Lotto is probably about half an hour to 45 mins on the metro, changing at Cadorna.

Italians find it incredibly weird that you would drink alcohol without eating food. As such, everything is "aperitivo", so all drinks cost the same (around €8, whether its a beer, wine or a cocktail), and there is a free buffet with lots of food, generally the better the buffet on offer, the livelier the place will be.

I'm more Piemontais myself; do they call the buffet 'stuzzichini'?

i've been offered a free lunch reasonably near Centrale (but I'll be out the station like a whippet), but after that will probably wander via Duomo, just to say hello, and then boh? I'd go to La Scala but they've got Benjamin Britten on ! I'm just going to mooch and vado spasso per la citta', and am sure it'll be interesting.

Looks like there is a large square outside the cathedral. Looks an alright place to gather. It has a statue to climb on / hang flags off and plenty of surrounding bars, with furniture outside, to chuck at anyone who doesn't look English (or in fancy dress).

BARRYS HOT TIP NUMERO UNO for @SouthamptonFC fans heading to Milan... for a pre game @CarlsbergUK rock up to @442pub @Inter_en

http://www.fourfourtwo.it/en/

Christ, looks right out the way!

Looking at that video, and the fact that most people seem to be planning on going to Piazza Duomo/there's only two bars there...getting a crate and heading there might be the order of the day.

I'm more Piemontais myself; do they call the buffet 'stuzzichini'?

i've been offered a free lunch reasonably near Centrale (but I'll be out the station like a whippet), but after that will probably wander via Duomo, just to say hello, and then boh? I'd go to La Scala but they've got Benjamin Britten on ! I'm just going to mooch and vado spasso per la citta', and am sure it'll be interesting.

I have read a few commets about the Central station and wanting to exit the station / area rapidly. Never been to Milan before so am interested to know what is so bad about the station / area as I'm arriving there from Bologna.

Flexos have a party night on Thursdays.

two-floor cruising bar in the north-east suburbs, with cubicles, glory holes, a chill-out area and a labyrinth. There's a large bar area in which to meet friends and mingle, and a leather tower upstairs for harder action. At the weekend, Flexo teams up with Metro Cimiano sauna to offer joint entry tickets. There are naked parties on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, plus other themed nights.

I have read a few commets about the Central station and wanting to exit the station / area rapidly. Never been to Milan before so am interested to know what is so bad about the station / area as I'm arriving there from Bologna.

The people that hang around there are the problem. If you're just changing to the metro there you shouldn't have a problem. In general it's a much safer city than, say, London.

The people that hang around there are the problem. If you're just changing to the metro there you shouldn't have a problem. In general it's a much safer city than, say, London.

Thanks, so nothing that you wouldn't experience in any big city.

[video=youtube;Dxvfilf--u4]

Most holding 'carry-outs' so the must be a Tesciosi Expresso nearby.

They'll be plenty of Saints fans travelling up from Bologna Wed/Thurs (we fly in Thursday) so we can all just hold hands to keep safe. It's likely little more than local 'erberts taking advantage of unsuspecting tourists' bulging pockets while they're distracted looking up for train info. Like anywhere, keep an eye on your wallet, etc.

They'll be plenty of Saints fans travelling up from Bologna Wed/Thurs (we fly in Thursday) so we can all just hold hands to keep safe. It's likely little more than local 'erberts taking advantage of unsuspecting tourists' bulging pockets while they're distracted looking up for train info. Like anywhere, keep an eye on your wallet, etc.

I'll just stuff nettles into my pockets and keep my valuables hidden elsewhere.

Thanks, so nothing that you wouldn't experience in any big city.

Yes, more or less. Bit of extra care with the traveller types and beggars. I've always been on my own so perhaps a little more careful.

Anyway, posting this on the Turin airport bus courtesy of free wi-fi.

Surman, a y birrifici you'd recommend?. Italian brewpubs have really improved in the last few years.

Before the match Corso Como might be better, you can get the new M5 Metro from Garibaldi F.S. directly to the new San Siro station or Lotto (which is the station the club are suggesting) in about 15 mins.

From Porta Genova to Lotto is probably about half an hour to 45 mins on the metro, changing at Cadorna.

I was looking at Isola area, good idea or not ?

How local is local though? I was in Marseille over the summer and walked for ages without spotting a single supermarket.

Cheapskates. It won't be too bad in most bars. Getting cans and drinking in the square - We are not bloody Scottish!

How local is local though? I was in Marseille over the summer and walked for ages without spotting a single supermarket.

Looks like there's a few about nearby - I can't see any better options pre-game to go drinking so I'll be in Duomo and just be bring some along to save the hassle of raiding the local Carrefour with you lot.

Some info posted on the 'Away Supporters' sub-forum which will probably get a wider audience re-posted here...

Hi guys,here just a few correct informations:

Malpensa:trains are from Terminal1 and most of them are to Cadorna Station every 30 mins.Just a few are to Central station or Garibaldi station,check it on the monitors once at the ticket office.Tickets from 12€ single journey.From Terminal2 there's a free bus every 5mins that takes 6-7 mins to get train station in T1.Coaches are from T2 and take 50mins/1h to get the central station,10€ round trip.The taxi fare from Malpensa to any point in Milano(or vice versa)is 95€ and it takes about 35 mins.

Linate:there's bus number 73 every 15-20 mins straight to Piazza San Babila,behind Duomo;ticket price is 1.5€ and it takes 30-35 mins.Taxi from linate to Duomo is about 20-25€ and it takes 20mins.No underground and no trains.

Bergamo:lot of coach companies from bergamo to milano central station,departures are every 5-10 mins and the journey is about 1h,10€ round trip.There's no any fixed fare for taxi,the price of the ride is about 105€ and it takes about 40 mins.

To Stadio Meazza:the best way from the center is the tube:line 1 from Duomo direction rho fiera,change at Lotto then take line 5 to san siro stadium.From Duomo there's also tram 16 to the stadium but it takes lot of time.By taxi is about 20€ and 20mins ride.

Pubs&restaurantsubs usually open at 6pm and close at 2am.I can guess on that day some of them will open early in the noon,specially football pubs like "442 sport pub",english football pub,la belle alliance,offside pub.

Restaurants normally close about 2.30pm and open at 7.30pm till midnight.Only touristic restaurant around piazza Duomo (the main square) and chinese restaurants in chinatown serve food all day.

At the stadium:away supporter sector is the south side of San Siro.No pubs in that area,just a restaurant run by a chinese guy that serves pizza and beer all day.In the north side there are two nice bars but l'm not sure police will allow southampton fans to pass by north side of the stadium.

Enjoy Milano.Ciao

This

I'm not travelling to Italy to drink cans on a park bench .

Hear hear!!!

Staying up near Lambrate station, apparently there's a fair few bars and restaurants in the vicinity. Looking forward to checking them out tomorrow evening.

Hear hear!!!

Staying up near Lambrate station, apparently there's a fair few bars and restaurants in the vicinity. Looking forward to checking them out tomorrow evening.

The problem with this is you still have the issue of where a group of us can congregate - I'm all for going to a bar but I'd rather be somewhere with a bit of atomsphere.

.... I would suggest the Naviglio Grande is the best place to go drinking anyway, there are loads and loads of bars and restaurants there along the canal.

Thanks for the info mate.

Any suggestions for the Naviglio Grande area, which is the best street/canal to head for in the 1st instance, to have a beer and get our bearings?