Inter Milan v Saints build up

Edmonton Saint

Disagree, in 2009-10 season we were playing in League One (third tier football) with -10 points having nearly gone out of business.

Whereas Inter in 2009-10 were winning the League, cup and Champions League treble under Jose Mourinho.

Now, do you think anyone in football, in 2010, would have done anything other than laugh at you, if you had said in just 6 years that Southampton would be going to the San Siro for a competitive game against Inter and had a realistic chance of winning that game?

it's huge whatever way you look at it.

Very much this.

I think how excited you get by this match might well be influenced by weather you are going to the game. Personally I'm not that fussed other than I want us to win so we can get out of the group stages. This is a group game in a very tough cup competition when/if we get to the latter stages of the competition that's when the games become huge right now its just another game we have to negotiate.

It's madness isn't it! Will be heading to Milan with no expectations either way, just want to make the most of this.

Always wanted to see Saints away in Europe, and always wanted to see a game at the San Siro/Guiseppe Meazza. Never in my wildest dreams would I have considered those two being one and the same.

Same here, will be happy just being there after watching us in L1... if we win though, then i'm going to have a pricey night out in Milan!

Disagree, in 2009-10 season we were playing in League One (third tier football) with -10 points having nearly gone out of business.

Whereas Inter in 2009-10 were winning the League, cup and Champions League treble under Jose Mourinho.

Now, do you think anyone in football, in 2010, would have done anything other than laugh at you, if you had said in just 6 years that Southampton would be going to the San Siro for a competitive game against Inter and had a realistic chance of winning that game?

it's huge whatever way you look at it.

Could not agree more...

If nothing else, it depicts the status we now have and the company we now justifiably keep.

Inter as many said are in the doldrums right now, but so what... Its Inter Milan FFS... European Royalty.

Also agree with FF... I hope Claude picks his first choice side and goes for it...

Carlisle in a mickey mouse cup or Inter Milan at the San Siro in European competition? Milan is just sooooo much bigger.

But it really isn't an important match. That's the point.

To my mind, that means it can't possibly be massive.

Anyway, who cares - it's all good!

Every game is important as it could it could be your last! Having heard of a Saints fan I knew passing away this week! I just hope everyone who goes have a great time and do Southampton FC proud. The youngsters I hope this is the sort of things to come for you, the oldies, enjoy and yes it is happening Saints are in Europe 2 years running and trotting out at The San Siro.

I watched Sundays match in Venice. Got talking to the bartender who is a massive Inter fan. He is really down on them. New coach, players don't know each other or play well together, and they are losing to everyone. He is expecting a romp. Needless to say I was the only person rooting for the Saints in Venice. People we giving me strange looks when I was cheering it up in the 2nd half.

I watched Sundays match in Venice. Got talking to the bartender who is a massive Inter fan. He is really down on them. New coach, players don't know each other or play well together, and they are losing to everyone. He is expecting a romp. Needless to say I was the only person rooting for the Saints in Venice. People we giving me strange looks when I was cheering it up in the 2nd half.

Was everyone else there rooting for Burnley?

Referee appointment for Thursday....

Group K, 20 October 2016, 19:00 CET

Stadio San Siro, Milan (ITA)

FC Internazionale Milano - Southampton FC

Referee: Gediminas Mazeika (LTU)

Assistant Referee 1: Vytautas Simkus (LTU)

Assistant Referee 2: Vytenis Kazlauskas (LTU)

Additional Assistant Referee 1: Sergejus Slyva (LTU)

Additional Assistant Referee 2: Donatas Rumsas (LTU)

NiFourth Official: Dovydas Suziedelis (LTU)

UEFA Referee Observer: Jaap Uilenberg (NED)

UEFA Delegate: Danijel Jošt (SVN)

The 3rd Team Referee Observer: Artur (SUI)

http://worldreferee.com/referee/gediminas_mazeika

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I went to those, and all our end of season promotion matches.

This is bigger.

Must admit I dont get it

Inter are just an ordinary Serie A team who will be putting out a second rate team and there is nothing much at stake as if we lose we still have three matches to qualify for the next stage of the Cup

A goalless draw would be a great result as would a goalless draw next Sunday

Every game is important as it could it could be your last! Having heard of a Saints fan I knew passing away this week! I just hope everyone who goes have a great time and do Southampton FC proud. The youngsters I hope this is the sort of things to come for you, the oldies, enjoy and yes it is happening Saints are in Europe 2 years running and trotting out at The San Siro.

Did you forget your pills today?

This epitomises for me everything that we went through is for nights like this .8000 saints fans travelling to see us play inter Milan competitively is nothing short of iconic

Yes, it's an occasion to remember, but not that important in terms of the significance of a match result.

The key games that got us promotions and then a place in Europe in the first place will have far greater long-term implications.

I will enjoy this, but I doubt I'll get near the elation I felt when Jose got our last minute winner at Brighton to wreck their home record and all but seal promotion.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's an occasion to remember, but not that important in terms of the significance of a match result.

The key games that got us promotions and then a place in Europe in the first place will have far greater long-term implications.

I will enjoy this, but I doubt I'll get near the elation I felt when Jose got our last minute winner at Brighton to wreck their home record and all but seal promotion.

Same as this for me. Cracking day that.

the half empty stadium will no doubt put a slight dampener on our hopefully impending victory, but the shear wonderfulness of playing Inter at their place in a proper game is enough to place this game in my memory books for ever. It's something that we may never experience ever again and tops off a tremendous period in our history.

Dellhurst, the victory against Sheffield United to keep us up, the promotion at Plymouth and the home win against Cov to take us to the premiership are hard to match in terms of joy, but this will be something equally special, just in a different way.

the half empty stadium will no doubt put a slight dampener on our hopefully impending victory, but the shear wonderfulness of playing Inter at their place in a proper game is enough to place this game in my memory books for ever. It's something that we may never experience ever again and tops off a tremendous period in our history.

Dellhurst, the victory against Sheffield United to keep us up, the promotion at Plymouth and the home win against Cov to take us to the premiership are hard to match in terms of joy, but this will be something equally special, just in a different way.

Sums up the way I feel too - been going 50+ years seen us get stuffed many times away and watched us at Dagenham and Redbridge in league 1 so to go and watch us in San Siro will be the ultimate for me to show how far we have come in recent years and to the Liebherrs am grateful for the opportuinity.

Ok, time for a guess at the squad for Thursday (assumptions on fitness abound)...

Starting 11: Forster, Martina, Yoshida, VvD, Bertrand, Hojbjerg, JWP, Romeu, Tadic, Long, JRod

Bench: McCarthy, McQueen, Fonte, Davis, Classie, Boufal, Austin

I know rotation is useful and has worked well for us this season; but for Fonte to go with us from League 1 to European football in the San Siro and not start seems kinda wrong!

I know rotation is useful and has worked well for us this season; but for Fonte to go with us from League 1 to European football in the San Siro and not start seems kinda wrong!

I did have him in the starting 11 instead of Yoshida up to 5 seconds before posting if that's any consolation? :)

Maybe it's Virgil's turn to have a rest and it will be Fonte and Yoshi.

I'm pretty sure Virgil will have a host of glamorous European matches during his career.

Doubt it. I think age is critical - Virgil seems to cope well with a game every 3-4 days.

FAO Saints fans due to fly home from Milan on Friday 21st, information here (in Italian) on flights in respect of the transport strike in Italy.

All flights between the hours of 07.00 - 10.00 and 18.00 - 21.00 are protected and should all depart as normal (although I imagine the ones between 18.00 - 21.00 will be subject to delays, morning flights may be OK).

If you're flying in between those hours be prepared for delays/cancellations as the strike will include Italian Air Traffic Control.

http://www.enac.gov.it/repository/ContentManagement/node/N1368939924/Voli_garantiti_sciopero_21_ottobre_2016.pdf

No its not, not at all bigger. Just people getting over excited and giddy about going to a European football match.

Sorry, but this is one of the biggest games in my 45 years of going. Much bigger than a L1 game in Brighton for example.

I appreciate that it doesn't have much resting on it but this is Saints playing European royalty in one of the worlds iconic stadiums.

Sorry, but this is one of the biggest games in my 45 years of going. Much bigger than a L1 game in Brighton for example.

I appreciate that it doesn't have much resting on it but this is Saints playing European royalty in one of the worlds iconic stadiums.

Good example of my earlier point.

No its not, not at all bigger. Just people getting over excited and giddy about going to a European football match.

If you can't get excited or giddy about playing away to one of Europe's biggest clubs then why bother following a team like Saints at all? The whole point about striving for improvement in the league and winning cups etc. is because the reward is a game like the one on Thursday. Realistically we won't win the league or regularly qualify for top level European competition so games like this are likely to be as good as it gets. A cup win would be bigger but again those come along once in a blue moon. I take the point that the promotion games were vital in getting us to where we are now but Thursday is clearly one of our most high profile games ever and an important moment in our history.

If you can't get excited or giddy about playing away to one of Europe's biggest clubs then why bother following a team like Saints at all? The whole point about striving for improvement in the league and winning cups etc. is because the reward is a game like the one on Thursday. Realistically we won't win the league or regularly qualify for top level European competition so games like this are likely to be as good as it gets. A cup win would be bigger but again those come along once in a blue moon. I take the point that the promotion games were vital in getting us to where we are now but Thursday is clearly one of our most high profile games ever and an important moment in our history.

I'm bothered about supporting Saints no matter who they are playing.

Yes, this is an exciting moment and an experience to remember but, as you say, although it would be awesome to win, it's not like some of the crucial games we've faced in recent years.

But yes, sure, I'm going to relish the occasion.

I'm bothered about supporting Saints no matter who they are playing.

Yes, this is an exciting moment and an experience to remember but, as you say, although it would be awesome to win, it's not like some of the crucial games we've faced in recent years.

But yes, sure, I'm going to relish the occasion.

Agree with what you say about being bothered about supporting Saints no matter where we are.

My point is more that whole point of gaining promotions from lower leagues and progressing up the football pyramid is so that the fans and the team can enjoy occasions like this. Sure it isn't as significant a game as, say, Everton at home where we beat relegation on the final day but it is a huge landmark in terms of what we've achieved as a club over the last 6-7 years. But take the point that its more an landmark occasion to be savored than a crucial game in and of itself.

Straight from Barry Gale's mouth: Fonte will be leading Saints out.

Who's not looking forward to Thursday's game?

Good example of my earlier point.

If you think beating Brighton is a more important game than playing Inter Milan then I pity you.

I missed barely a game post relegation and loved every minute of it but this week is what it's all about. A chance to slug it out with the big boys and progress into the KO stages. Just because it's against one of Europe's biggest teams in an iconic stadium doesn't make it any less huge although, no doubt, you despair of the away day tourists.

If you think beating Brighton is a more important game than playing Inter Milan then I pity you.

I missed barely a game post relegation and loved every minute of it but this week is what it's all about. A chance to slug it out with the big boys and progress into the KO stages. Just because it's against one of Europe's biggest teams in an iconic stadium doesn't make it any less huge although, no doubt, you despair of the away day tourists.

You pity me? :lol:

You remind me of those noddy fans of people like Exeter that get all giddy because they get drawn at Old Trafford or Anfield and go along for a day out.