Inter Milan v Saints build up

Edmonton Saint

If you think beating Brighton is a more important game than playing Inter Milan then I pity you.

I missed barely a game post relegation and loved every minute of it but this week is what it's all about. A chance to slug it out with the big boys and progress into the KO stages. Just because it's against one of Europe's biggest teams in an iconic stadium doesn't make it any less huge although, no doubt, you despair of the away day tourists.

Rather diluted by the fact they can't play their best team, are pretty **** these days, have been beaten by two teams who couldn't manage a single goal against us between them and even if we lose it isn't terminal to our progress in the Europa league. I shall enjoy the game Thursday but there is to little riding on it to make it a massive occasion for me.

You pity me? :lol:

You remind me of those noddy fans of people like Exeter that get all giddy because they get drawn at Old Trafford or Anfield and go along for a day out.

To be fair mate on this occasion we are the noddy fans because not a single saints fan in their lifetime has ever done or seen this before.

I've been doing home and away for over three decades and this one is special. For different reasons than others but in the main because I can honestly say I never really expected to play Milan in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair mate on this occasion we are the noddy fans because not a single saints fan in their lifetime has ever done or seen this before.

I've been doing home and away for over three decades and this one is special. For different reasons than others but in the main because I can honestly say I never really expected to play Milan in my lifetime.

Most people I know would go and be buzzing to see Saints in Europe full stop, playing class football and competing, regardless of the ground the game is played in.

Most people I know would go and be buzzing to see Saints in Europe full stop, playing class football and competing, regardless of the ground the game is played in.

And I was for Israel and I will be for Prague. But this one is different mate, and if you're honest with yourself you know that.

Many of us grew up with inter as one of the great footballing side, most of us didn't ever expect to see little old saints playing there ever. I don't see what the problem is with being excited for that really?

And I was for Israel and I will be for Prague. But this one is different mate, and if you're honest with yourself you know that.

Many of us grew up with inter as one of the great footballing side, most of us didn't ever expect to see little old saints playing there ever. I don't see what the problem is with being excited for that really?

Nothing wrong with being excited about it, no-one has suggested otherwise.

Do you class a trip to the KC or Vitality Stadium as being similarly equal worth to a trip to Old Trafford or the Emirates?

I'm sure like most of you I'm really getting excited. Flying out this morning. Haven't slept. Keeping myself going with Irish Coffee. Hopefully catch a wink or two on the plane. Looking forward to pizza and a few pints tomorrow evening in Milan and meeting with some fans before making a day of it on Thursday. Can't wait to see us congregate at the Duomo!

Boufal in the training videos on the saints twitter page.

Forster

Martina Jose Yoshida Bertrand?

Reed

Hjoberg JWP

Boufal

JRod Long

That would be a pretty good team imo.

Cant see Boufal starting myself. I'd imagine Tadic will start and then get subbed for Boufal if we are comfortable ( or losing horribly and Boufal becomes a final gamble).

Just a heads up for the hordes possibly heading up the M3 en-route to Gatwick etc in the morning.

Don't forget the road works are still plodding on along the M3 towards London, warning signs are saying that the road is likely to be closed overnight from Junc 4 Farborough to the M25 until 5am in the morning.

I will put this on the other relevant threads in case this one is not read.............. So apologies if you are reading this for the umpteenth time.

Cant see Boufal starting myself. I'd imagine Tadic will start and then get subbed for Boufal if we are comfortable ( or losing horribly and Boufal becomes a final gamble).

I was forgetting that the first team players from Sun weren't involved as far as I could see - Apart from subs.

Cant see Austi travelling, he seemed to insinuate that in the five live? Interview he did.

I was forgetting that the first team players from Sun weren't involved as far as I could see - Apart from subs.

Cant see Austi travelling, he seemed to insinuate that in the five live? Interview he did.

Would be weird if he didn't travel seeing as he did an interview all about the game yesterday.

If we win this will have been the most important match in Saints history. If we lose it will have been of no consequence.

No it wont. The most important match in Saints' history (living memory) was in 1976. The second one was Coventry at home.

If we beat inter its special because its a big club away in a massive stadium.... but its not worth a damn to the club or the fans. They will come bottom of the group.

Sour mash isn't right, but neither are people who want to make this into the biggest game in the club's fairly modest history.

Would be weird if he didn't travel seeing as he did an interview all about the game yesterday.

Didn't see that one - probably will then.

Would prefer to see Boufal get minutes than Tadic - think he needs to be fresh for us to have any chance of getting something at the weekend.

Sour mash isn't right, but neither are people who want to make this into the biggest game in the club's fairly modest history.

Why does it have to be a matter of 'right' or 'wrong'. Opinions are just that... Opinions. If some people view this game as the biggest occasion in Saints' history then that's reasonable. It's equally reasonable if others don't see it that way.

In my humble opinion of course... ;)

Forster

Martina

Yoshida

Fonte

McQueen

Romeu

Højbjerg

Ward Prowse

Tadić

Long

Austin

Van Dijk, Boufal, Davis, Jay Rod, McCarthy, Jack Stephens, Clasie

Is my guess at the starting lineup with Jay Rod, Clasie and Boufal as the anticipated rotation substitutes for Austin, Romeu and Tadic if everything goes to plan by 70 mins.

Strongest line up is: Forster, Martina, Fonte, VVD, McQueen, Romeu, Davis, Hojbjerg, Tadic, Long, Austin. Bench would be: McCarthy, Yoshida, Stephens, Clasie, JWP, Boufal, JRod.

Not that we'll perhaps be playing our strongest team but they'll all be itching to play at the San Siro. For me it's Stephens on the bench in lieu of Olomola and Reed as we need the extra defensive cover. Hopefully no knocks in the next 32 hours. (Have put Boufal on the bench as don't know his fitness yet.)

Big night for McQueen if he gets the nod over Yoshida for left back.

Anyone know what sort of cop the team Inter are putting out? I take it it's not their strongest...

Strongest line up is: Forster, Martina, Fonte, VVD, McQueen, Romeu, Davis, Hojbjerg, Tadic, Long, Austin. Bench would be: McCarthy, Yoshida, Stephens, Clasie, JWP, Boufal, JRod.

Not that we'll perhaps be playing our strongest team but they'll all be itching to play at the San Siro. For me it's Stephens on the bench in lieu of Olomola and Reed as we need the extra defensive cover. Hopefully no knocks in the next 32 hours. (Have put Boufal on the bench as don't know his fitness yet.)

Big night for McQueen if he gets the nod over Yoshida for left back.

Anyone know what sort of cop the team Inter are putting out? I take it it's not their strongest...

There is pressure on them to get win from anywhere, any talk of them throwing this competition is not true. I believe their registration issues last only as long as the group stages (could be wrong), but if so they can play their new players in the knockouts. They have loads of behind the scenes drama and Icardi is likely to start this one even if he has been a **** lately. They are desperate to put their loss to Cagliari behind them and De Boer is going to be under early pressure if he doesn't pull something good out of the bag soon. This game is going to be very tough and will be treated as a must win by them.

It's could be a weird night, in a haf empty San Siro with a lot of Inter fans hostile against their own team. It should be possible to have the Saints chants come through loud and clear, hopefully.

It's going to be like a updated euro version of Dellhurst Park :)

Loving this thread already (and the other journey related one), keep the updates coming. Sad not to be going but very excited at the prospect of the build up and the match itself. COYS!!

Edited by Spitz

There is pressure on them to get win from anywhere, any talk of them throwing this competition is not true. I believe their registration issues last only as long as the group stages (could be wrong), but if so they can play their new players in the knockouts. They have loads of behind the scenes drama and Icardi is likely to start this one even if he has been a **** lately. They are desperate to put their loss to Cagliari behind them and De Boer is going to be under early pressure if he doesn't pull something good out of the bag soon. This game is going to be very tough and will be treated as a must win by them.

Good article here:

http://www.sempreinter.com/2016/10/19/who-are-southampton/

Generally about Saints but gives a clue about the pressure that's on Inter to get a result.

Just a few hours of work left. Starting to get excited. 30 odd years supporting Saints and never thought I'd see us play the likes of Inter. I realise the result is not the be all and end all, but let me assure you that once you are in the ground and you start to consider that this is our chance to beat Inter at the San Siro you will deem the game to be a huge moment in your Saints supporting life. Win and you have a story to dine out on for ever more. Can not ****ing wait.

Is there something wrong with you mate. San Siro, Inter !! Yea I got a real buzz going to Wycombe, Brentford etc on wet damp nights but if you really do not believe that this is something very, very special then you are seriously sad.