The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Liverpool and Southampton are monitoring Espanyol prospect Marc Roca and could activate his £1.35m release clause in January. The 19-year-old midfielder is in the final year of his contract (Marca)

So we will get him first get him up to PL speed and then Liverpool will pay us three times what we paid for him a season later......

A striker and a CB would be my choice if we make moves in January. Austin has done well, but his fitness makes starting all the games unlikely. Rodriguez has yet to show his old self, and Long's goal-scoring form has disappeared. We only need a CB for cover but that may change if, like McQueen has done at LB, Stephens or whoever is given a chance and proves himself.

A striker and a CB would be my choice if we make moves in January. Austin has done well, but his fitness makes starting all the games unlikely. Rodriguez has yet to show his old self, and Long's goal-scoring form has disappeared. We only need a CB for cover but that may change if, like McQueen has done at LB, Stephens or whoever is given a chance and proves himself.

I think we're one injury from a crisis up front.

It's also a mystery to me that we only have 4 established CBs in the squad (compared to 3 keepers and 3 right backs).

If Pied is out for the season, we probably need RB cover too.

I don't have any names in mind - but, against our usual recruitment policy, I'd look for established players in their 30s to bring in on loan to cover CB, CF and RB positions.

It's also a mystery to me that we only have 4 established CBs in the squad (compared to 3 keepers and 3 right backs).

I don't have any names in mind - but, against our usual recruitment policy, I'd look for established players in their 30s to bring in on loan to cover CB, CF and RB positions.

You appear to be suggesting we should have 3 senior players for each position which is daft, it would leave us a bloated squad with 33 players and wouldn't be able to register some of them.

We play a formation with 3 attacking players, we have 6 senior 1st team attacking players so 2 per position, plus youngsters like Hesketh & Olomola.

You appear to be suggesting we should have 3 senior players for each position which is daft, it would leave us a bloated squad with 33 players and wouldn't be able to register some of them.

We play a formation with 3 attacking players, we have 6 senior 1st team attacking players so 2 per position, plus youngsters like Hesketh & Olomola.

Didn't someone on here mention him as a player we were interested in this summer? Maybe there is something in this.

There was a screenshot of a conversation someone had with Katharina's nephew Noah on Instagram in the last few days of the window. He was asked about any more signings and Malli was mentioned as a potential signing.

Nope, I'm suggesting 5 centre backs and 3 CFs. I guess the definition of a CF changes, but Long, Redmond, Boufal and even J-Rod are sort of winger/forwards.

As far as I'm aware, you can register more than 22 players, so on average you'd expect to have more than 2 per position. A squad of 22 wld be very light indeed. (I also think youth players don't count towards the total, if my memory serves, so Hesketh and Olomola can stay in the squad).

A back up player who can play right back would be useful.

Am not adverse to having a utility back-up player who can cover a number of bases (didn't Jack Cork play in about 5 different positions for us?).

I stick to the view that out biggest problem isn't quality, it's squad depth. Doubly so if we progress in Europa and put together a cup run.

I think our depth this season and last is as good as it's ever been. Only problem at the moment is up front and possibly backup to Romeu. Four dependable centre halves is fine, and we have utility players in Martina and Pied. Plus Ward-Prowse and Davis can play all across midfield if we need them to.

We actually have five players who can play right back - Cedric, Martina, Pied and Yoshida, plus Targett who has filled in there before albeit not that convincingly.

Edited by DuncanRG

I think our depth this season and last is as good as it's ever been. Only problem at the moment is up front. Four dependable centre halves is fine, and we have utility players in Martina and Pied. Plus Ward-Prowse and Davis can play all across midfield if we need them to.

We actually have five players who can play right back - Cedric, Martina, Pied and Yoshida, plus Targett who has filled in there before albeit not that convincingly.

Not sure I question this. But obviously our aspirations are higher than 3 or 4 years ago. Plus we have (at least) six Europa games. So, I still think lack of depth rather than lack of quality is what will bite us.

The club will be reluctant to go for a striker with January's inflated prices. Unless we can bag a deal like Austin, or there are long-term injuries, I think we'll settle for what we have, maybe recall Gallagher from loan.

Berahino? Just a thought. Reckon we're biding our time with this one as we did with Austin.