The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Poor effort too obvious 1/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it even worth feeding the troll. It would be nice if Admin just refunded it his £5 and closed his account down, but as they seemingly won't, we have to suffer its puerile postings. Maybe if they were just ignored then it might get bored and grow up a little.

After our performance against Liverpool I do feel a bit more upbeat but getting a striker has to be paramount.

But, there are 2 ways of doing things....someone like West Ham show their hand and prices will go up. By saying not bothered, that is us holding our cards much closer to our chest and hopefully will not mean prices are inflated more than they already are. I think everyone can see where our problem is, but not sure everyone knows quite what the Club/manager is thinking. Maybe they are happy with what they have, maybe they're not.

Is it even worth feeding the troll. It would be nice if Admin just refunded it his £5 and closed his account down, but as they seemingly won't, we have to suffer its puerile postings. Maybe if they were just ignored then it might get bored and grow up a little.

Interesting that Barry S was banned for same thing, came back and was instantly booted. Glasgow back with exact same MO and allowed to stay

I actually agree, would hate the club to spend £15m on a striker now if we could possibly get him for £13.5m in the summer

Let Everton make the panic buys

Is DPS correct that you were investigated by the police? What was it for? Unsavoury posts? I hope it was just a misunderstanding pal.

Why the recent surge of activity? You basically kept a low profile for 18 or so months and have only exploded in the last 3/4 months.

Edited by shurlock

Interesting that Barry S was banned for same thing, came back and was instantly booted. Glasgow back with exact same MO and allowed to stay
I've questioned why the usual suspects are allowed to troll relentlessly without moderation whilst I was banned for 'abuse' The point is that these people invite abuse just as they would if they were brave enough to be as relentlessly irritating in real life....I'm still awaiting an answer.

I've questioned why the usual suspects are allowed to troll relentlessly without moderation whilst I was banned for 'abuse' The point is that these people invite abuse just as they would if they were brave enough to be as relentlessly irritating in real life....I'm still awaiting an answer.

While this is not really the correct thread, I think a response is required. What you, and others who are similarly irritated should do whenever these peurile and offensive posts are made, is to ignore them. The perpetrators will very soon find they no longer have the audience they need to fuel their vitriol.

Might be starting to heat up a bit. According to reports in Portugal we have a bid in for Porto's Sergio Oliveira, Saints officials expected in Portugal to continue talks:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/sunderland-join-race-midfielder-4m-bid-southampton/

24 yr old central attacking midfielder, out of favour at Porto but previously hyped.

Can find the original article on the Ojogo site if interested.

Bizarre rumour: Yoshida to China

http://sportwitness.co.uk/another-key-southampton-player-linked-move-china/[/quote

Imagine if we got say £50m for Yoshida...

This has to be the laziest bit of journalism ever - the chance of a Japanese international footballer going to China is less than 0.

Might be starting to heat up a bit. According to reports in Portugal we have a bid in for Porto's Sergio Oliveira, Saints officials expected in Portugal to continue talks:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/sunderland-join-race-midfielder-4m-bid-southampton/

24 yr old central attacking midfielder, out of favour at Porto but previously hyped.

Can find the original article on the Ojogo site if interested.

Bizarre rumour: Yoshida to China

http://sportwitness.co.uk/another-key-southampton-player-linked-move-china/[/quote

Imagine if we got say £50m for Yoshida...

Did wonder about Yoshida after the way he applauded to the centre of kingsland after Liverpool game, Looked like a potential bye

My take on this. I suspect, that the only interest, if any, would be a CB, maybe an AMF. We have two young strikers well thought of, waiting to break into the first team. So I suspect it will be a fairly quiet few weeks from our side of things.

Surely we need some competition upfront - the strikers just arent hitting the back of the net. I'm not sure who your young strikers are other than Gallagher (who's on loan all season). Seager who has been injured for ages? Olomola who proved in the cup game he was a long way from being ready? Marcus Barnes who again had been injured and totally unproven? I think it would be a massive risk to not bring another striker in, with the hope that Long or J-Rod can start scoring regularly between now and the end of the season.

Poor effort too obvious 1/10

Perhaps not worded correctly - easy to forget a few seem to lack any sense of humor and take forums very serious

The point is still the same however - we could buy a player now for say £15m while we need them (Austin out and Longs form lack of goals generally) or we could wait till the summer and possibly save a million or two?

I can’t think of many examples where a player would be more expensive now than the summer? Unless you’re talking about players with less time on contracts? And as for Jan signings being typically bad - I can’t see much evidence of that either....Obviously some January moves work out and some don't, but the same can be said for summer moves too

Decent January signings are possible - we’ve proved that with Austin and Everton now with Morgan. Would Morgan have been cheaper in the summer? I doubt it

For someone who failed at Man United and can't get into their international team, I think Everton overpaid for Morgan.

He was playing for France when he was regularly playing for us. He hasn't played for Utd and therefore he's not been selected for France. He hasn't become a poor player overnight so it seems right that his worth now is what it was when we sold him taking into consideration his age and contract length. It's all subjective though and in the current climate it's difficult to determine what's good value and what isn't. He'll definitely been an improvement on what Everton currently have.

STOKE BACK IN FOR BERAHINO

Stoke manager Mark Hughes has revealed talks have reopened with West Brom in a bid to finally thrash out a deal for Saido Berahino.

Hughes has shown interest in Berahino in the last two transfer windows and is keen to end his protracted chase for the striker by coming to an agreement withthe Baggies this month.

"I'm not sure where we are with Saido Berahino," said Hughes. "We are probably getting to the point where we need to make a decision one way or another.

"I am hopeful that we will be able to get something done. We are interested in him, as a number of other clubs are, but nothing has moved forward from last week. We are still waiting for the player's club to give us an indication."

From SSN Transfer Centre or whatever it's called:

Sevilla are the latest club to cool their interest in signing Mamadou Sakho, according to Sky sources.

Liverpool are thought to want around £20m for the French international centre back. However, several clubs, including Southampton and Swansea, have been unwilling to match his wages, understood to be around £105,000 a week.

Perhaps not worded correctly - easy to forget a few seem to lack any sense of humor and take forums very serious

The point is still the same however - we could buy a player now for say £15m while we need them (Austin out and Longs form lack of goals generally) or we could wait till the summer and possibly save a million or two?

I can’t think of many examples where a player would be more expensive now than the summer? Unless you’re talking about players with less time on contracts? And as for Jan signings being typically bad - I can’t see much evidence of that either....Obviously some January moves work out and some don't, but the same can be said for summer moves too

Decent January signings are possible - we’ve proved that with Austin and Everton now with Morgan. Would Morgan have been cheaper in the summer? I doubt it

Is that what you told the police?

oh dear guess I'll have to bite.

It isn't a case of 'saving a million or two'. You know very well that there are less players available on the market in January where clubs become very reluctant to sell halfway as it can disrupt their season, particularly if they are doing well and on progress to achieve something.

only when a player is surplus to requirements at a club and/or their contract is about to finish is generally what January is about- and also panic buys where clubs attempt to throw money to solve the problem at an inflated price e.g. QPR with Remy and Samba, Fulham with Mitroglou.

I want a striker as much as everyone but seeing as how net spend and sustainabilty is so important for us we just can't afford to throw money stupidly, and if the blackbox can't find a gem then no point spunking money.

Oh and also only time will tell if Morgan was a decent buy.

Edited by nta786

Some one want to explain why Glasgow was investigated by the police under his previous guise? Come on DPS, spill the beans. Touchwood that he's banned again soon as ignore is no use if people keep quoating.

I've no more info about SB I'm afraid. Stoke REALLY want him, West Ham and Palace also interested but I reckon we could have worked that out ourselves. I'd still like him at Saints. He's the sort of nippy striker we need.

The biggest problem is that there is so little value in the January market and if you try to buy from one of the big boys the players still expect big boy money which we won't, quite rightly, pay.

Liverpool may be willing to subsidise to reduce wage bill

Just seems such an un-Southampton-like signing. A 26 year old who's probably reached his peak potential and value and on huge wages. Would be a strange one although we of course bought Graziano in and he was no spring chicken although I think that was more of a Koeman signing than a club signing and an exception to our dealings in recent years.

Are you being serious? A large number of Championship players are on more than £25k p/w, let alone a 26 year old French international from Liverpool.
Im in the no player is worth 10k a week camp, except Messi and Ronaldo. These people have trouble passing a football 10yards to a player in the same shirt. To be paid the amount of money they do is madness, but people make excuses for it. It wont change and the excesses are only going to get worse.

Im in the no player is worth 10k a week camp, except Messi and Ronaldo. These people have trouble passing a football 10yards to a player in the same shirt. To be paid the amount of money they do is madness, but people make excuses for it. It wont change and the excesses are only going to get worse.

The actual number paid to players (as outrageous and scandalous it is) is simply down to market forces. Getting hung up on who gets what is pointless as is worrying about what clubs pay in transfer fees. At the end of the day it's all relative to income of clubs and their business model and in relation to competitors. Unless you are privy to all the details you can't comment on whether the "gossip price" is right or not, fair or not. The only thing that matters is that Saints remain solvent off the pitch and highly competitive on it. I don't care what numbers are involved to achieve that.

Didn't remember seeing this anywhere but according to L'Equipe we are interested in Valere Germain at Monaco who played under Puel last year and scored 14 goals and 6 assists.

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football/mercato-southampton-interesse-par-valere-germain-1080427.html

Stats: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/93917/History/Valre-Germain

i don't think there is any better pair of young centre backs than Calum Chambers and Ben Gibson. They are the main reason Midblesbrough's defensive record is one of the best in the Premier League: better than ours and Liverpool's. What are the chances of getting Chambers back? I guess he'd be out of our price range.

It's proving harder than they thought to push him out of the door. Perhaps the report of his 'transfer request' was a bit premature.
Not really, if the club that wanted him no longer do so then we can't just shove him out of the door with no club to go to. I reckon Benfica might want him but maybe only willing to pay us half of what his valuation is perceived to be.

Just seems such an un-Southampton-like signing. A 26 year old who's probably reached his peak potential and value and on huge wages. Would be a strange one although we of course bought Graziano in and he was no spring chicken although I think that was more of a Koeman signing than a club signing and an exception to our dealings in recent years.

Plus Fonte was 27 when he joined us. That turned out OK ;-)

The actual number paid to players (as outrageous and scandalous it is) is simply down to market forces. Getting hung up on who gets what is pointless as is worrying about what clubs pay in transfer fees. At the end of the day it's all relative to income of clubs and their business model and in relation to competitors. Unless you are privy to all the details you can't comment on whether the "gossip price" is right or not, fair or not. The only thing that matters is that Saints remain solvent off the pitch and highly competitive on it. I don't care what numbers are involved to achieve that.
All fair, but it turns me off football. Im happy for players to get decent wages but this is getting ridiculous now. I know it wont change

Fonte is the hold up. Someone has been sounded out for a long time. Nothing will be done until Fonte transfers.

Hmm we are one injury away from a Yoshida/Stephens centre back line - think bringing in as well would make sense to me knowing VVD will certainly be gone in the summer. Cant see why we risk losing this player. Can't see Fonte being picked again at the moment from whats coming from Puel.

But its not my money....well apart from ST :-)

PS just thought we also have Gardos I suppose.

Edited by Give it to Ron