The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Yes sickening to say the least, we could easily sell off two of our underperforming midfielders to supplement his wages, but thats something saints will not do unfortunately.

Why is that unfortunate?

If we pay Morgan £120k a week then Boufal, Van Dijk, Fonte, Romeu, Tadic, Bertrand, Forster etc. will want £120k a week. As far as I know, our current top earner is on about £80k/wk.

This is probably the same problem West Brom would be making for themselves. Which is why he won't go to West Brom but might go to Everton or West Ham.

This is also why the likes of Everton and West Ham end up with expensive crap in their squads over time.

Edited by benjii

Why is that unfortunate?

If we pay Morgan £120k a week then Boufal, Van Dijk, Fonte, Romeu, Tadic, Bertrand, Forster etc. will want £120k a week. As far as I know, our current top earner is on about £80k/wk.

This is probably the same problem West Brom would be making for themselves. Which is why he won't go to West Brom but might go to Everton or West Ham.

This is also why the likes of Everton and West Ham end up with expensive crap in their squads over time.

This came up before why do people think Everton will pay 120K a week their best paid player is Lukaku on 80K a week.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/pics/pictures/4544/Every-Everton-ace-s-weekly-wages-revealed

No one is going to pay Morgan a 120K a week if he wants to get his career back on track he is going to have to take a pay cut.

This came up before why do people think Everton will pay 120K a week their best paid player is Lukaku on 80K a week.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/pics/pictures/4544/Every-Everton-ace-s-weekly-wages-revealed

No one is going to pay Morgan a 120K a week if he wants to get his career back on track he is going to have to take a pay cut.

He's about to sign a new deal for significantly more than that. They have the investment now to offer 100k

He's about to sign a new deal for significantly more than that. They have the investment now to offer 100k

Yep they are offering him a 100K a week still 20K less than they will allegedly pay Morgan. Plus how does that investment work under FFP? I was under the impression owners aren't allowed to just fund player sales and wages surely the investment will go on the new ground or clearing debts?

The 120K bit might be a red herring. The article states that he will take a pay cut to leave Man U:

Schneiderlin currently earns around £120,000 a week at Old Trafford and though he would have to take a pay cut to join either Everton or West Brom, he is desperate to revive his career after falling off the radar.

He surely must regret leaving Saints.

Him and Romeu in the middle would be amazing for us. Better than an other combo we have therefore would be mad not to try and get back.

Agree with this bit, but the last bit doesn't necessarily follow. It's the opportunity cost of bringing him back - £18m could be spent on someone who would do even more for the team than Schneiderlin would.

Agree with this bit, but the last bit doesn't necessarily follow. It's the opportunity cost of bringing him back - £18m could be spent on someone who would do even more for the team than Schneiderlin would.

throw in the £45m windfall we will get in addition to the top of the league net spend from the summer just gone and no doubt, the summer to follow when others are gone

with the mental TV deal

Chelsea sell Oscar for £52m

they do sell well that club, that is for sure.

I love how they are going to use all that money to re-invest in their team when they probably have about 10 players out on loan who could probably do a job for them replacing Oscar on the bench.

I love how they are going to use all that money to re-invest in their team when they probably have about 10 players out on loan who could probably do a job for them replacing Oscar on the bench.

their loan system is an obvious way of making money. It kind of works, for them

Oscar was bought for 27m so doubled their money to the Chinese who throw their money around, we do just as well, if not better with our sales.

he has hardly been a star for them and not really a fixture in the 1st team.

To get £52m is incredible really

Oscar was bought for 27m so doubled their money to the Chinese who throw their money around, we do just as well, if not better with our sales.

Really? so you don't think that Mane for £36 million (given the other transfers that have taken place this window) was a steal?

Do you think that Oscar is worth £16 million more than Mane? is Mane only worth £4 million more than Benteke

he has hardly been a star for them and not really a fixture in the 1st team.

To get £52m is incredible really

Absolutely! and the £50 million they got for Luiz from PSG.

Unfortunately we just don't hold the power to command them sort of fee's (before anyone mentions VVD, if he goes for £50 million, that's the same price as stones who's half the player).

I know we have brought in a shed load from sales, but I still think by and large that we have sold slightly short.

VVD fee should be astronomical. Anything less than £50m is simply not good business on our part. The market is moving very quickly. Before you know it £100m players will be two a penny.

Can you image the meltdown on here if we sold Romeu and Bertrand for a combined £15m!

But Batman thinks that Chelsea "sell well"...

they generally do.

imagine selling a 'sell-on-fee' for the one day worlds most expensive player for a tommy forcast

Do you think they got good fees for Bertrand and Romeu, or in hindsight did they undervalue those two?

I would say yes. Bertrand was not really setting the world alight at Villa and before that. Never going to get in their side at the time.

Romeu also was never ever going to get in their side and had a run of serious injuries

how much did Bertrand cost them? £125k....and sold for £10m

CM should be the least prioritized position. Romeu has been great and Clasie and Hojbjerg will come good and we also have JWP and Reed. Morgan is a great player but it would be more of a luxury than a must to have him at this time.

We spent 16 millions on Boufal and i would rather have one more player of that kind in the squad.

At that price we should snap him up, he's still better than anything we have. Last few seasons for us he was developing as a proper box to box midfielder rather than a standard DM. Plus he'd be great cover for Romeu, he's basically an upgrade on Clasie for £13 million, seems a no brainer to me.

At that price we should snap him up, he's still better than anything we have. Last few seasons for us he was developing as a proper box to box midfielder rather than a standard DM. Plus he'd be great cover for Romeu, he's basically an upgrade on Clasie for £13 million, seems a no brainer to me.

Sell JWP and I'm in with Morgan coming back.