The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Brentford's Scott Hogan are wanted by West Ham who are about to offer £12m (according the the Evening Standard) which is short of the £15m that Brentford want. Former Rochdale striker who has scored 14 goals and has scored 14 goals in 25 matches for Brentford and is highly rated. Get in there Les, he's young, hungry and wants Premier football. And scores goals.

(Incidentally, unrelated but WHU are also interested in Shane Long if they don't sign Defoe or Hogan.)

My god WHU seem to be linked with any player with a pulse at the moment. It was the same in the summer they seem to get knocked back a lot to.

TBF WBA only needed two attempts on goal to score two goals. 10 attempts really should be enough to get a goal or two.

The whole midfield not contributing offensively is not a new thing. I've been saying for the last few seasons our CM need to get in the box more and score more goals and its been a constant criticism of our play, by posters, on here for several seasons. it's quiet an achievement that an aging Davis is still our most offensive CM it's something we've needed to address for a while but really haven't (Hoj was an attempt to do that IMO but hasn't worked out so far). Les didn't help with his hyperbole about us having one of the best midfields in the PL early in the season which was clearly not true.

Wasn't there a stat that said total of 58 hours for 1 goal from midfield?

It's something very noticeable as against Spurs 1-2 down Boufal turns Rose inside out we had just Jayrod in box JWP on 18 yard surrounded by 6 defenders ended up losing as no point in crossing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's something very noticeable as against Spurs 1-2 down Boufal turns Rose inside out we had just Jayrod in box JWP on 18 yard surrounded by 6 defenders ended up losing as no point in crossing it

Read over on the uglies just now, we have made 56 changes in the last 10 games.

in that time, not once have we played a consecutive back 4, midfield 3 or front 3.

the midfield on 4 occasions changed completely for consecutive games alone.

no wonder we are lacking a bit of something

I agree its not good but it's not something new to this manager I'm just not sure players like JWP, Clasie even Davis have the tools required I mean in their saints careers Clasie is on 1 in two seasons, JWP has scored 5 in six seasons, Davis has scored 11 in five seasons. Sadly Hoj looks like he can't hit a barn door at 10 paces either. It seems to be a combination of poor technique when shooting coupled with lack of desire to get into dangerous positions to support the attack. If you think successive managers don't seem to have been able to get much out of them in an attacking sense I'm not sure why people think Puel should be.

in that time, not once have we played a consecutive back 4, midfield 3 or front 3.

We even rotate players during the same game. What on earth was the point of those substitutions at home against West Brom?

Indeed and yet some are adamant its just down to the players. The system stinks.

I think the midfield bluntness is a confidence thing. I don't, for one minute think Puel instructs them to never get "in there".

We have had a few games this season where we've started really positively and put the opposition under pressure and got men into scoring positions. When we've tended to back off and play safe, it's usually followed the other team scoring - which is often with their first attack. I think that's a confidence thing. Plus Puel has been given a midfield where the most prolific individuals have usually only got 2 goals a season for us.

Sam Gallagher starting for Blackburn today, which cup ties him, so likely won't expect to see him back until the summer.

Good. He has been successful in a very different system and style of play, at a different level. Throwing him into a different system, with different players around him, in a much harder league, in a team struggling for form and confidence and expecting him to learn, adapt and be successful could ruin all the excellent progress and development he's benefitting from where he is.

Never understood this logic, have other options for the cup, i dont think he'll come back, but cant see playing in the cup as reason for him not...!

Well, how likely is he to get a game in the league? Not very, so if he's cuptied he's unlikely to play at all.

Don't think that would be a surprise to anyone. Him and Forren have been poor and expensive signings.

slightly unfair to compare them, gardos had some good games at home to arsenal and chelsea and was great in our win at old trafford before getting seriously injured, compared to forren who never played once

slightly unfair to compare them, gardos had some good games at home to arsenal and chelsea and was great in our win at old trafford before getting seriously injured, compared to forren who never played once

I was comparing their relative costs and contributions to the first team. Combined fee of c£10m is not insignificant for a club like ours. I appreciate Gardos has had the injuries but the club have shown little intention of getting him back in the first team fold.

Deluded Liverpool supporting mate of mine says he's imposing as you like, but awful on the ball, dodgy temperament, but popular with the fans though.

Reckons he'd be good if partnered with the right player.

Wow imagine back four of Bertrand(if he stayed) Yoshida Sakho and Martina next season

All that's missing is some Benny Hill music.....

@SkyKaveh: Sevilla approach Liverpool about signing Mamadou Sakho. Liverpool will only let him leave on permanent deal & they want £20 million.

Posters on the RAWK site seem convinced that 20 million is the asking price for Sakho. That would put Saints out of the equation.

Not sure why there is such a love in with Sakho. He's awful, clumsy, poor with the ball at his feet and failed a drugs test.

Never in a million years worth £20million.

I would agree but transfer fees have gone beyond crazy now when Bolasie and Benteke are 30million pound players the whole thing has gone beyond mad. It will only get worse . Its getting to the point were PL teams will have to pay through the nose for even the most average player...

Wow imagine back four of Bertrand(if he stayed) Yoshida Sakho and Martina next season

All that's missing is some Benny Hill music.....

I'd be astonished if Martina did anything other than leave at the end of his contract this summer. He's only here now because of Pied's injury.

Can't see why we would sell Virgil and not replace him, either. That might be our League Cup team next year but would be nowhere near first choice.

Sakho is atrocious, seen very few professional footballers worse with the ball at their feet than him, £20million would be absolutely ludicrous even taking into account inflated fees nowadays. For £10mil i'd take him in the hope Van Dijk could make him look good.

Still no sign of a player who regularly hit the back of the net then? The club aren't seriously going to make Puel soldier on through the second half of the season with Jrod and Long as our main strikers are they?

When the new master plan from Les is to finish/celebrate 9th - why not.

Team we have is good enough for 7th - 10th place so why buy big now?