The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Whitey - nothing wrong with the tactics or performance today: bar 1 stupid mistake and a useless attacking force. We created many decent chances: Tadic should definitely have scored at least once, probably twice in the 1st half. Just like against Liverpool we are getting more people in the box now.

Unfortunately our crossing is not good and we don't have anyone with presence to take advantage in the box. Pelle would have had a field day in this side.

Jrod looked very sharp when he came on - the front 3 before that were terrible (Long, Tadic and Redmond) and this is where our problems lie.

Just like at the beginning of the season we are playing well but don't have anyone to put the decent chances away.

I'd prefer a different manager to sit down with him and get a striker and play a different formation, the team drawing from his energy and enthusiasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many team talks/training sessions have you watched? Can you tell us more about his lack of energy and enthusiasm?

Charlie could score alright.

Thing is 4 of his 9 goals were penalties and another one come from a corner. I'd argue although he scored goals, he didn't help our attacking play and would mess up a few good moves because of a poor pass or his lack of pace; Lambert and Pelle could get away with it because of their link-up play. If we're gonna sign a striker, I'd want someone who can score goals but not affect how we play as much as he does.

Southampton have had several contacts for Gabbiadini in the very last days, still no bid though

@tancredi

He's a well connected journalist who knows stuff but obviously he's wrong about this one because Puel is only sitting down with Les on Monday to talk about strikers so this couldn't possibly have happened.

We had 20 shots today, and its by no means the first time this season we've had plenty of chances, no team should be failing to score with twenty shots we need someone who can convert chances all this to isolated stuff is just hyperbole.

You reckon we had plenty of chances today?

Thing is 4 of his 9 goals were penalties and another one come from a corner. I'd argue although he scored goals, he didn't help our attacking play and would mess up a few good moves because of a poor pass or his lack of pace; Lambert and Pelle could get away with it because of their link-up play. If we're gonna sign a striker, I'd want someone who can score goals but not affect how we play as much as he does.

This. It's always been the case, and Austin, despite being a good player, is a downgrade on Pelle.

Don't remember a huge number of golden chances for us. Tadic hit two wide of the far post in the first half, but you'd have been annoyed to see Forster conceding from those angles. Good save from Sims at the end, but the initial shot from JRod probably should've been pushed further away anyway. Bit weird seeing a consensus emerge that we created loads and were only thwarted by the spurning of easier-to-score chances - not the game I watched at all.

Whitey - nothing wrong with the tactics or performance today: bar 1 stupid mistake and a useless attacking force. We created many decent chances: Tadic should definitely have scored at least once, probably twice in the 1st half. Just like against Liverpool we are getting more people in the box now.

Unfortunately our crossing is not good and we don't have anyone with presence to take advantage in the box. Pelle would have had a field day in this side.

Jrod looked very sharp when he came on - the front 3 before that were terrible (Long, Tadic and Redmond) and this is where our problems lie.

Just like at the beginning of the season we are playing well but don't have anyone to put the decent chances away.

I freely admit that I haven't seen today's game yet and from what you say we seem to have been 'unlucky' again but we can't have been unlucky all season. What I have seen so far is a reluctance to load the box with attackers compared with other teams. I look forward to seeing the highlights soon.

The constant rotation of players also means that we shall never build up sharpness or consistency. Why didn't J-Rod start?

If our crossing isn't good, why would Pelle have a field day?

One encouraging aspect today was that we did seem to be getting more players into the box than in previous league games. When we broke a midfielder, normally Ward Prowse, would support the attack and get in the box for the cross. Tadic and Redmond were also doing this far more, especially compared to the games against Spurs and West Brom when the player with the ball would be looking up to cross only to see there was no one to play the ball to.

In fairness to Puel the only selection that could be questioned today was Long over Rodriguez. Davis was injured and Clause knackered after his first game back from injury on Wednesday so it made sense for Hojbjerg and Ward Prowse to start.

I thought we played pretty well. Again though the lack of a half decent striker was painfully apparent. It's not just the lack of goals from Long and Rodriguez, it's their inability to consistently hold the ball up and link play which is causing problems.

He's a well connected journalist who knows stuff but obviously he's wrong about this one because Puel is only sitting down with Les on Monday to talk about strikers so this couldn't possibly have happened.

But all the mongs on the mongboard don't think it's occured to anyone on the board to consider adding some firepower this window.

And the mongs are never wrong.

One encouraging aspect today was that we did seem to be getting more players into the box than in previous league games. When we broke a midfielder, normally Ward Prowse, would support the attack and get in the box for the cross. Tadic and Redmond were also doing this far more, especially compared to the games against Spurs and West Brom when the player with the ball would be looking up to cross only to see there was no one to play the ball to.

In fairness to Puel the only selection that could be questioned today was Long over Rodriguez. Davis was injured and Clause knackered after his first game back from injury on Wednesday so it made sense for Hojbjerg and Ward Prowse to start.

I thought we played pretty well. Again though the lack of a half decent striker was painfully apparent. It's not just the lack of goals from Long and Rodriguez, it's their inability to consistently hold the ball up and link play which is causing problems.

Good to read, even if it was on the wrong thread :)

How are those convos in your head coming on? Are you getting any answers yet? Hysterical someone your age but really funny to read.

So to help someone who is clearly having issues I used the word baffled because I get a bit ****ed off this season watching us struggling with a poor squad. I don't believe we are supporting the manager enough. It's been obvious to most maybe the voices in your head too our recruiting this summer was poor. I would have hoped we had someone ready as soon as the window opened especially with a manager with all that experience of FRENCH league.

Yes most transactions happen at the end but I was hoping that at least by now we had one in.

What time did the voices in your head say meeting was as Claude just said he would sit down with Les and the chairman not on Monday specifically.

Carry on with the acerbic comments it's funny to read.

Edited by Give it to Ron

How are those convos in your head coming on? Are you getting any answers yet? Hysterical someone your age but really funny to read.

So to help someone who is clearly having issues I used the word baffled because I get a bit ****ed off this season watching us struggling with a poor squad. I don't believe we are supporting the manager enough. It's been obvious to most maybe the voices in your head too our recruiting this summer was poor. I would have hoped we had someone ready as soon as the window opened especially with a manager with all that experience of FRENCH league.

Yes most transactions happen at the end but I was hoping that at least by now we had one in.

What time did the voices in your head say meeting was as Claude just said he would sit down with Les and the chairman not on Monday specifically.

Carry on with the acerbic comments it's funny to read.

Keep typing away. In the real world you actually posted this:

Today is the 14th he is just going to sit down with them?

Just to help you understand how it all works, tomorrow won't be the first time they sit down and talk about signing a striker.

Keep typing away. In the real world you actually posted this:

Just to help you understand how it all works, tomorrow won't be the first time they sit down and talk about signing a striker.

Perhaps the voices will help you understand here it's the 14th it's been obvious we have been struggling for goals.

As per Tancredi we still haven't put in a bid does that not baffle one of your voices a little??

Where are you getting Monday from again in the real world of your head?

Perhaps the voices will help you understand here it's the 14th it's been obvious we have been struggling for goals.

As per Tancredi we still haven't put in a bid does that not baffle one of your voices a little??

Where are you getting Monday from again in the real world of your head?

There's two people on this forum. One of them, me, thinks the club have long had a list of striking targets, they're being monitored and we will sign one of them, but most likely in the last week of January.

One of them types this into the forum

Today is the 14th he is just going to sit down with them?

Let's just agree you don't have a clue.

But why wait until the last week? Had preparations been made when it was obvious Austin's injury was serious 6 weeks ago then we could well have had some in place by now who could have scored yesterday and given us options v Liverpool. Serious question. (Sit back and wait for snide belittling comment or a reasoned debate?)

There's two people on this forum. One of them, me, thinks the club have long had a list of striking targets, they're being monitored and we will sign one of them, but most likely in the last week of January.

One of them types this into the forum

Let's just agree you don't have a clue.[/

Did the hysterical voice tell you it's Monday?

Lets just agree you have lost it with those convos in your head are making you feel you believe that you have a clue what's happening.

One thing I do agree it will be the last week and maybe one of those imaginary voices can tell you that's why I am baffled.

Why Monday where did you get that from?

Moving away from the petty squabbles, and seeking to get back to a debate, as I have referenced on a few threads I am as desperate as everyone else to see a striker, who is a proper target man, signed to help Puel.

I do though have a concern that the market is limited at this time of year and there must be a risk that we get someone who "is available" rather than the right signing in the summer. A difficult balancing act, if the club really feel relegation is a threat then you prioritise now. However if that is not the case I would rather wait to the summer and sign the best player available.

I can imagine the uproar on here if we don't sign a striker this month but ultimately we should judge the club at the end of August I think. Perhaps a compromise is a loan deal with an option to buy in the summer....

But why wait until the last week? Had preparations been made when it was obvious Austin's injury was serious 6 weeks ago then we could well have had some in place by now who could have scored yesterday and given us options v Liverpool. Serious question. (Sit back and wait for snide belittling comment or a reasoned debate?)

I can't believe we would only just start our striker search now. That has to be Puel being coy doesn't it?

Moving away from the petty squabbles, and seeking to get back to a debate, as I have referenced on a few threads I am as desperate as everyone else to see a striker, who is a proper target man, signed to help Puel.

I do though have a concern that the market is limited at this time of year and there must be a risk that we get someone who "is available" rather than the right signing in the summer. A difficult balancing act, if the club really feel relegation is a threat then you prioritise now. However if that is not the case I would rather wait to the summer and sign the best player available.

I can imagine the uproar on here if we don't sign a striker this month but ultimately we should judge the club at the end of August I think. Perhaps a compromise is a loan deal with an option to buy in the summer....

Apologies.....I think we will sign someone and hopefully someone who can lead the line and be the focal point like Pelle and Austin did.

It was noticeable to me how much Charlie did with the other two strikers in terms of positions and not something Jay and Long do so much to lead the attack.

I can't believe we would only just start our striker search now. That has to be Puel being coy doesn't it?

Precisely. Only the pitifully hard of thinking are "baffled" when Puel says an anodyne holding statement in a post match interview.

If we don't bring someone in then I will join in the angry mob but for now I think we should let the club get on with it without the hysteria.

I agree January is far from ideal to be looking for players, but shouldn't we have accounted for that last summer?

We aren't an easy book to read.....

We might well think that we are OK with what we have and not look for a striker. Maybe we are looking for one. Who knows? Whichever it is, we do not come across as being desperate by mouthing off in the press like WHU do, so hopefully prices do not get ramped up. I guess the signing of Austin goes to prove a point - maybe.

Apologies.....I think we will sign someone and hopefully someone who can lead the line and be the focal point like Pelle and Austin did.

It was noticeable to me how much Charlie did with the other two strikers in terms of positions and not something Jay and Long do so much to lead the attack.

think we need two strikers as the system seams to be play one game out the next,absolute mess in my opinion

Precisely. Only the pitifully hard of thinking are "baffled" when Puel says an anodyne holding statement in a post match interview.

If we don't bring someone in then I will join in the angry mob but for now I think we should let the club get on with it without the hysteria.

There you go again accusing everyone who does not agree with the great CB Fry as being hysterical. Would you not agree to have been more prepared in out targets following on from Austin's injury may have been a more judicious way of running a club and might have meant we had an extra striker for yesterday and the Liverpool games? Is that according to you a hysterical view?

What is likely is that the club have prepared a list of strikers, made enquiries about the availability of a few of them and now Puel will sit down with the board to get an update on their status and discuss which he'd prefer.

Once that has happened more talks between the club and agents will occur, followed hopefully by a bid.

Whether we sign someone depends on a number of factors including the will of the selling club, thier valuation meeting ours, other clubs bidding for the same targets etc etc.

I agree re the focal point. I thought Austin looked poor outside of the box when we first signed him, but then I thought his hold up play was improving during the autumn before he got injured. Lambert and Pelle gave us a great outlet ball when we were under pressure, and also provided a plan B when at home and finding it difficult to play through the lines (think games against Sunderland, West Brom and Watford)

The only hysteria is in your pitifully voice ridden head that cannot see the point made. Why Monday?

I agree re the focal point. I thought Austin looked poor outside of the box when we first signed him, but then I thought his hold up play was improving during the autumn before he got injured. Lambert and Pelle gave us a great outlet ball when we were under pressure, and also provided a plan B when at home and finding it difficult to play through the lines (think games against Sunderland, West Brom and Watford)

Austin was linking well with Redmond and helping him along as well I noticed how much they seem to get on.

I don't know much about Gabbiadini who we seem to be interested in but there was some good quotes from a journo on Twitter on the game he played in the other night.

True that, Charlie has some negatives as well, we need a combination of all our strikers best attributes rolled into 1 player, unfortunately I do not think we will ever get someone like that here.

Don't remember a huge number of golden chances for us. Tadic hit two wide of the far post in the first half, but you'd have been annoyed to see Forster conceding from those angles. Good save from Sims at the end, but the initial shot from JRod probably should've been pushed further away anyway. Bit weird seeing a consensus emerge that we created loads and were only thwarted by the spurning of easier-to-score chances - not the game I watched at all.

Tadic should have buried the first chance IMO, Remond had a great headed chance in the first half but didn't really connect and VVD header was easier to score from.

Are there any guarantees that Austin will stay fit? It's not unrealistic that with age and further tread on the tires, Austin will be picking more -rather than fewer injuries and niggles.
fair point. Very strange signing IMO. dubious injury record and possibly very high wages. Bad combination.

Won't solve our immediate problems but Ben Brereton is scoring hundreds of goals for Forests youth team I am reliably informed by my brother in law and is the new big thing coming out of their own very good academy.