The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

What slightly frustrates me, is that we know where we need to strengthen, yet we are half way through the window and have played 3 games this month already - 4 if you include tomorrow's replay. If we are going to be making any signings, it would have been far better to have done them 2½ weeks ago.

Man Utd want to sell Luke Shaw in the summer.

Unfortunately, the likely destinations are Chelsea or Spurs.

"That's our left back spot sorted for the next 10 years" was one comment from the Mancs when Shaw signed for them. Yes he had a nasty injury, but he's just not hit the heights he did when he was with us. He's still got talent - he has "Spurs signing" written all over him.

"That's our left back spot sorted for the next 10 years" was one comment from the Mancs when Shaw signed for them. Yes he had a nasty injury, but he's just not hit the heights he did when he was with us. He's still got talent - he has "Spurs signing" written all over him.

At his best he - like Bertrand - would be a vast improvement on Danny Rose. Let's hope neither of them end up there.

What slightly frustrates me, is that we know where we need to strengthen, yet we are half way through the window and have played 3 games this month already - 4 if you include tomorrow's replay. If we are going to be making any signings, it would have been far better to have done them 2½ weeks ago.

I think the January transfer market is too slow because nobody wants to show their hand too early.

Clubs know we are desperate for a striker and Reed will never pay over the odds for anyone.

Think it's going to drag until the last few days of the market which is a shame as we would of played something like 10 games in January alone.

He needs TLC from a manager rather than to be dug-out in the press by Jose.

Spurs have Rose so wouldn't need him. Liverpool on the other hand....

At his best he - like Bertrand - would be a vast improvement on Danny Rose. Let's hope neither of them end up there.

Do you watch football? Danny Rose has been phenomenal this season. There's a strong case that he'd be in player of the season shortlists at this point. It kills me to say it because I hate Spurs, but Danny Rose has been the best left back in the league by a long long way.

Might be starting to heat up a bit. According to reports in Portugal we have a bid in for Porto's Sergio Oliveira, Saints officials expected in Portugal to continue talks:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/sunderland-join-race-midfielder-4m-bid-southampton/

24 yr old central attacking midfielder, out of favour at Porto but previously hyped.

Can find the original article on the Ojogo site if interested.

Bizarre rumour: Yoshida to China

http://sportwitness.co.uk/another-key-southampton-player-linked-move-china/

Turned down by Oliveira according to this, he wants to join a club that will challenge for titles even if it is a weaker league than PL:

http://www.sabado.pt/ultima_hora/detalhe/southampton_nao_agrada_a_sergio_oliveira.html

You would imagine that is the kind of thing you check before making bids so hopefully haven't wasted much time on it.

Turned down by Oliveira according to this, he wants to join a club that will challenge for titles even if it is a weaker league than PL:

http://www.sabado.pt/ultima_hora/detalhe/southampton_nao_agrada_a_sergio_oliveira.html

You would imagine that is the kind of thing you check before making bids so hopefully haven't wasted much time on it.

Unambitious. Much more ambitious to go to a club with less chance of winning the title, and win it with them, rather than go to a "ready made" one.

Unambitious. Much more ambitious to go to a club with less chance of winning the title, and win it with them, rather than go to a "ready made" one.

Maybe we offered him the chance to use us as a stepping stone to move to a CL in 2 years, but he said he wanted trophies sooner or a little more money and we had no response to that.

In all seriousness, it's pretty depressing if we can't even attract a player that can't even get into a first team squad in the Portuguese league.

Maybe we offered him the chance to use us as a stepping stone to move to a CL in 2 years, but he said he wanted trophies sooner or a little more money and we had no response to that.

In all seriousness, it's pretty depressing if we can't even attract a player that can't even get into a first team squad in the Portuguese league.

Even though I think/hope that players (or agents) look at the bigger picture, it can't help us in this window that we've just lost 4 games in a row. Bad timing!

Utd will never sell a player to liverpool and vice versa.

Do we think that nonsense will last in this era? Seems madness to me Liverpool need a left back Utd have a spare one and could use the cash players have crossed bigger rivalries around the globe!

Do we think that nonsense will last in this era? Seems madness to me Liverpool need a left back Utd have a spare one and could use the cash players have crossed bigger rivalries around the globe!

Who knows, Shaw is a victim of Mourinho roulette. Everywhere he goes there are always decent players who he doesn't fancy

or whose place is required for one of his Mendesfund binkies. Shaw needs to insist on leaving as did Morgan.

Do you watch football? Danny Rose has been phenomenal this season. There's a strong case that he'd be in player of the season shortlists at this point. It kills me to say it because I hate Spurs, but Danny Rose has been the best left back in the league by a long long way.

It's hard enough watching Saints in Australia these days. I'm not losing more sleep to watch Spurs too. If Rose has improved recently I'll accept I'm wrong. What I do remember is he was woeful at the Euros, and in other England appearances.

Agreed. Best in the league this season for sure, out clear ahead of Bertrand for the England spot now

It's hard enough watching Saints in Australia these days. I'm not losing more sleep to watch Spurs too. If Rose has improved recently I'll accept I'm wrong. What I do remember is he was woeful at the Euros, and in other England appearances.

He's (says through gritted teeth) been brilliant this season. In fact, Spurs have the two best full backs this season so far.

Just shows what a lottery transfers can be - our board get a bashing (osvaldo rightly so in my opinion as was always a mental) but if Utd can get it wrong on the likes of shaw then anyone can. Also shows the variation in meaning of "wrong". He may be wrong for Mourinho but theres sure as hell a fantastic left back in there who with some application could be amazing

Just shows what a lottery transfers can be - our board get a bashing (osvaldo rightly so in my opinion as was always a mental) but if Utd can get it wrong on the likes of shaw then anyone can. Also shows the variation in meaning of "wrong". He may be wrong for Mourinho but theres sure as hell a fantastic left back in there who with some application could be amazing

Yes, and I think when we reflect on the business we have done it has usually been a very good deal for the club. The money we received for Shaw, Lambert, Chambers, Clyne, Wanyama and Lovren has been well used. Bertrand, Cedric, VVD (via a loan spell for Toby), Romeo and Pelle were as good or better players and with the exception of Pelle cost considerably less money. The only one I think that has really moved his game on since leaving us is Lallana who has justified his transfer fee.

I'm with you bro! Poch is just one of them managers, playing one of them systems, that makes full backs look good. Look what he did for Calum Chambers ffs! That's what I'm saying, and it may well be bollocks, but I'd sooner believe that, than give up my beloved, long-standing opinion that both Walker and Rose are, on the whole, pretty average footballers. A few bros on here need to take a hard look at themselves srs, and get behind hating Spurs and all their players ffs. Some of the content on this thread is making me physically ill.

I'm with you bro! Poch is just one of them managers, playing one of them systems, that makes full backs look good. Look what he did for Calum Chambers ffs! That's what I'm saying, and it may well be bollocks, but I'd sooner believe that, than give up my beloved, long-standing opinion that both Walker and Rose are, on the whole, pretty average footballers. A few bros on here need to take a hard look at themselves srs, and get behind hating Spurs and all their players ffs. Some of the content on this thread is making me physically ill.

Agreed. Any positive post about Spurs is completely unacceptable. Even if it's done through gritted teeth.

Yes, and I think when we reflect on the business we have done it has usually been a very good deal for the club. The money we received for Shaw, Lambert, Chambers, Clyne, Wanyama and Lovren has been well used. Bertrand, Cedric, VVD (via a loan spell for Toby), Romeo and Pelle were as good or better players and with the exception of Pelle cost considerably less money. The only one I think that has really moved his game on since leaving us is Lallana who has justified his transfer fee.

Definitely shows the grass isn't always greener. I'd say Morgan, Shaw, SRL and Chambers all went backwards after leaving, Clyne + Lovren about the same, Mane, Wanyama and Nivea have kicked on. Shaw and Chambers in particular should have stayed but we got good money for both.

tell me about it - the handful of 6:45 AM games we get are the highlight... and today's game v norwich wasn't even televised

I'd expect this one to come to a head in the final throws of the window. Player power will come to the fore in the end, I doubt as a professional he'll want to rot in the reserves for another 6 months. I think Liverpool are rightly holding out to see if they can get that bid now, but if they can't...then I can't imagine them blocking loan deals towards the end of the window.

I'd expect this one to come to a head in the final throws of the window. Player power will come to the fore in the end, I doubt as a professional he'll want to rot in the reserves for another 6 months. I think Liverpool are rightly holding out to see if they can get that bid now, but if they can't...then I can't imagine them blocking loan deals towards the end of the window.

It feels like an "us" kind of move. Loan option etc.

I'm pretty sure reports at the start of Jan even said that Liverpool wanted to sell, but would loan him at the end of Jan if no buyer was found.

Report even mentions Fonte / West Ham too.

dread to think how horrendous he would be in our system now

Why? We hugely miss his hold up play. How many times this season has Austin got the ball, turned around and been the only one there with 2/3 defenders for company? Pelle was excellent at holding it up and bringing other players into play.