The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

I can't see how Sakho is worth that money. He's surplus to requirements and isn't getting as game. How does that make him worth twenty million?

And Gabiadini needs to score more goals to be worth 25 million. I know us fans want the club to flash some cash, but I also dont want us to just fork out stupid sums for players that frankly don't justify it.

If we pay 25 for him and he doesn't score, imagine the grief the board will get then.

I can't see how Sakho is worth that money. He's surplus to requirements and isn't getting as game. How does that make him worth twenty million?

And Gabiadini needs to score more goals to be worth 25 million. I know us fans want the club to flash some cash, but I also dont want us to just fork out stupid sums for players that frankly don't justify it.

If we pay 25 for him and he doesn't score, imagine the grief the board will get then.

Hence why we are probably trying to loan them instead...

Hence why we are probably trying to loan them instead...

Would suggest we are trying to loan (with option to buy) him to ensure we've got a safety blanket should he be sh!te, similar to Caulker or Toby in recent years. Pretty sensible really.

Would suggest we are trying to loan (with option to buy) him to ensure we've got a safety blanket should he be sh!te, similar to Caulker or Toby in recent years. Pretty sensible really.

We should know we get our money back anyway when they sign Bertrand in the summer ;)

SSN: West Brom have agreed a fee believed to in the region of £17m for Watford striker Odion Ighalo.

SSN: Sky sources understand West Brom have had their latest offer for Jake Livermore accepted by Hull City.

Looks like West Brom are really keen to push for a Europa League spot, investing a fair bit of money!

SSN: West Brom have agreed a fee believed to in the region of £17m for Watford striker Odion Ighalo.

SSN: Sky sources understand West Brom have had their latest offer for Jake Livermore accepted by Hull City.

Hopefully that means Berahino is on his way to us!!

Didn't CHina offer £38m for Ighalo last season??

Hate that a big club can afford to spend £18m and then even when that player is bang average still ask for more than what they paid and make a profit for him. (That was what liverpool paid for sakho)

I guess they can afford to pay his wages anyway.

If we buy someone for an amount like that and they were average to crap we would be lucky to get 60% of what we paid for.

Like United with Morgan and Depay- will end up making most of their money- or Chelsea when they sell their players- get so much for it.

These big clubs have power not only in buying but also in selling.

The football manager wheeler-dealer in me wants to suggest Adebayor on a free for half a year? Always seems to do well for the first 6 months of whatever club he's at, so if we get him signed up for the rest of the season (after they get knocked out of the ACON) then maybe HCDAJFU?

*Puts on tin hat and ducks for cover*

The football manager wheeler-dealer in me wants to suggest Adebayor on a free for half a year? Always seems to do well for the first 6 months of whatever club he's at, so if we get him signed up for the rest of the season (after they get knocked out of the ACON) then maybe HCDAJFU?

No thanks.

I would have agreed, but I think the Palace move put me off. His sulks have finally caught up with him, I think.

Offer him a pay as you play contract- £5k for every appearance. And for every goal give him £40k.

If he scores two goals in a match thats £85k, if nothing he can do with the £5k

If football contracts do work like that :lol:

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport:

#Saintsfc Good chat with Claude Puel:

1.VVD fit for Sunday

2.Confirms interest in Fonte

3.Will try to replace him & add to squad if poss

"If poss" - mixed messages as compared to Reed's "he will not be sold without a replacement" but then, given his track record, we can't exactly expect any of what LR says to actually happen.

"If poss" - mixed messages as compared to Reed's "he will not be sold without a replacement" but then, given his track record, we can't exactly expect any of what LR says to actually happen.

I don't think it reads that they're mutually exclusive - replace Fonte when he goes AND add to the squad if possible.

Reported on SSN as well that loan rejected.

We need to stop fannying around with loans in this window and get it sorted.

Puel said today in the press conference that we're not interested in Sahko, and that it's just speculation. I've never thought we were really in for him, doesn't seem like a very "us" signing.

Could easily see us inquiring about Semedo, Kimpembe, Schar, Hernandez or other, similar players and then making a concrete move for one of them once Fonte goes.

I don't think it reads that they're mutually exclusive - replace Fonte when he goes AND add to the squad if possible.

I mean it does say we will "try" and replace him rather than that we "will" (which is what Reed said). He will probably go back on it and say that we've been impressed with Yoshida or something I'd imagine.

That's a hell of a risk. We're one injury away from starting a player who hasn't been anywhere near the 1st team this season or going with an untested academy player...

Am I imagining that Gardos was our backup CB until a really bad injury or are we just pretending it wasn't the case and he's just another Vegard Forren wasted transfer? Seem to recall him coming on for Toby at Old Trafford very early in the game and playing really well and helping keep a clean sheet. I just don't know who's supposed to be **** and who's not anymore :(

That's a hell of a risk. We're one injury away from starting a player who hasn't been anywhere near the 1st team this season or going with an untested academy player...

Not to mention having to rely upon Maya every game. While he has had a decent season by his standards, he should only ever be a squad player for us.

Fear that if we get rid of VvD this summer we might be facing a similar situation to Swansea next year after losing Williams - fielding an inexperienced back line who have had no time to forge a partnership together.

£10m is all very nice but Fonte has been the one constant in our defence over the last 7 years. What price for that experience?

Not to mention having to rely upon Maya every game. While he has had a decent season by his standards, he should only ever be a squad player for us.

Fear that if we get rid of VvD this summer we might be facing a similar situation to Swansea next year after losing Williams - fielding an inexperienced back line who have had no time to forge a partnership together.

£10m is all very nice but Fonte has been the one constant in our defence over the last 7 years. What price for that experience?

But he doesn't want to play for us anymore, there's not much we can do

Deulofeu from Everton is available and only 22years old, great pedigree having come from Barcelona. When Everton signed him Barcelona inserted a buy back clause should he turn out to be what they had hoped!

Is there a good player there to be had, right age for us and a career that has not quite manifested itself to the potential that was expected.

Personally i always liked what i saw of him....and he has an eye for goal.

Am I imagining that Gardos was our backup CB until a really bad injury or are we just pretending it wasn't the case and he's just another Vegard Forren wasted transfer? Seem to recall him coming on for Toby at Old Trafford very early in the game and playing really well and helping keep a clean sheet. I just don't know who's supposed to be **** and who's not anymore :(

Hes been out injured nearly 2 years..... Remember when Jay was the next BIG thing?

You simply don't know the type of player that returns after such a long lay off.

If his recent u23 games are anything to go by...... Well errrr

To gamble on him would be.... Well probably typical of our club this season

He does seem to have been completely written off by many here, and I suspect that most have never seen him play pre-injury. In fact of the 11 times he has featured (albeit a couple of last min subs) we have lost one game. While he has been on the pitch only 2 goals have been scored.