The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Hes been out injured nearly 2 years..... Remember when Jay was the next BIG thing?

You simply don't know the type of player that returns after such a long lay off.

If his recent u23 games are anything to go by...... Well errrr

To gamble on him would be.... Well probably typical of our club this season

I appreciate he has been out for so long, so may not be reliable, but many are saying he's terrible and not good enough for us, whereas before his injury he certainly was deemed good enough to be a back up. The club may have seen enough since his injury to decide he's not up to it anymore, but in my opinion the fans won't have.

He does seem to have been completely written off by many here, and I suspect that most have never seen him play pre-injury. In fact of the 11 times he has featured (albeit a couple of last min subs) we have lost one game. While he has been on the pitch only 2 goals have been scored.

I've only seen him play a few times myself, i'm not saying he's the answer but I definitely didn't have a problem with him before his injury and it's strange that some do have when even if they did see him play before his injury they probably can't remember what he was like!

STOKE MAKE BERAHINO PROGRESS

Sky Sources understand negotiations between Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion are progressing well over the possible transfer of Saido Berahino.

Sky Sports News HQ reported 10 days ago that Stoke had made a bid for the striker. Now Albion have responded and re-engaged with talks. A fee hasn't yet been agreed, but both sides are getting closer, we've been told.

Sky Sources understand negotiations between Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion are progressing well over the possible transfer of Saido Berahino.

Sky Sports News HQ reported 10 days ago that Stoke had made a bid for the striker. Now Albion have responded and re-engaged with talks. A fee hasn't yet been agreed, but both sides are getting closer, we've been told.

We should offer them a straight swap for Berahino and Fonte!

Haha! Seriously though, it's nearly always the case with these periods of bedwetting .

I'd rather we signed him and he went to to score a hat full but as we all know "it's a funny old game" so you never know what crazy sheet happens until it happens !

How many bloody strikers do Stoke have?

I know we all look at our individual club's as being better than the rest. More attractive than the next. But really....Stoke! Why would you want to go there??

Better manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talksport are reporting that Stoke and WBA have reached a 15 mil. deal for Berahino and WBA have authorized Stoke to enter into talks with the player.

Assuming they would have to pay something like £6m in summer, it's basically an extra £9m to get him now, that's assuming he is brilliant for Stoke and meets the criteria to trigger all the additional clauses.

It looks a bit steep but it sort of makes sense I guess.

@SkyKaveh: Napoli director Cristiano Giuntoli flying to England next week to meet Southampton about deal for Manolo Gabbiadini. Napoli want £20m

He may as well stay in Italy if he wants 20m for a striker who has averaged 8 goals a season {nearly 1 in 4 goal ratio} !

And Stoke sign Berahino, a striker that could have done a very good job for us.

Les, read the runes. Our relegation rivals are taking action to improve weaknesses. Why aren't you?

Depends if they get 2014/15 Saido, or every other season of his career so far Saido.

Potentially very good business for Stoke. Or a total disaster.

Another awful transfer window (so far).

Disappointed with Fonte. It's not the way to behave after 7 years.

But there is absolutely no doubt we are a far weaker side now than we were at the end of last season. The whole spine has gone. Pelle, Wanyama & Fonte. Not even including Mane.

The 2 replacements Hojberg & Redmond are simply not as good. Redmond is not even a central player.

In this window we could have kept Fonte & signed Morgan & Berahino. Nobody could possibly say we wouldn't be a better side for it.

That maybe unrealistic, but I am sure Berahino would have come. Maybe not on 85k pw though that he is getting at Stoke.

Doubt Morgan would have come either if I'm being honest.

Just got this horrible feeling that the decline has started. Really hope not, but Sakho & Gabiadinni are not the type of players we need at 20m each.

Losing quality players year after year & watching pedestrian predictable football is not much fun at all.

Come on Saints, step up, sign a player that can get all of us excited!! Please...........

But there is absolutely no doubt we are a far weaker side now than we were at the end of last season. The whole spine has gone. Pelle, Wanyama & Fonte. Not even including Mane.

The 2 replacements Hojberg & Redmond are simply not as good. Redmond is not even a central player.

In this window we could have kept Fonte & signed Morgan & Berahino. Nobody could possibly say we wouldn't be a better side for it.

That maybe unrealistic, but I am sure Berahino would have come. Maybe not on 85k pw though that he is getting at Stoke.

Just got this horrible feeling that the decline has started. Really hope not, but Sakho & Gabiadinni are not the type of players we need at 20m each.

Losing quality players year after year & watching pedestrian predictable football is not much fun at all.

Come on Saints, step up, sign a player that can get all of us excited!! Please...........

Wouldn't hold your breath for anyone decent. We might get a couple of loans in but don't see much else. Not sure why anyone expects Saints to spend now. They didn't do enough in the summer and we've never done much in January. I always think back to the first year under Koeman when we were well in with a shot of Champions League and all we did was get in Elia on loan. It was obvious that year we needed someone to take the heat of Pelle, we didnt, he stopped scoring and we duly finished 7th.

I feel your pain Corky. Maybe Gabiadinni and Sakho are not the right recruits in this window and there is the nagging doubt that the Club has abandoned the pursuit of quality players, but as things stand I think the average fan would like any "name" signing at present to give a lift to the season.

stop being negative man!!!

How much 'profit' have we made from transfers since the Summer? That added to the new TV money, where's it all going?

Hopefully paying off the debt we built up, but I suspect just on wages.

Although saints fans like to think we don't pay anyone big wages, I would think the next set of accounts will show yet another big rise. England goalkeepers don't sign five years deals unless they are offered a lot of coin. If someone pays £16m for you, you expect to get paid, if you sign for nigh on a free transfer having scored 18 premiership goals the season before, you want a big old weekly pay cheque and six year deals for CBs valued at £40m are not signed unless they get a kings ransom each and every week. Mark my words these guys are now earning serious money. Probably a lot more than a lot of saints fans want to believe.

last season

Redmond, Yoshida, Romeu, Austin, were (or would have been) players from the bench

now, they are our only hope

Rom has stepped up to be fair

And to think that we started the summer from a position of immense strength having finished sixth. The writing was on the wall for me when Ron walked out and we (IMO) failed to bring in the best manager available to us. We've gone backwards, there's no doubt about that. Just hope that we can survive in the Prem this and next season.

something has to be going on at SFC for all these sales to happen.

It's not the sales per se, it's the lack of replacements or, when we do replace, doing it on the cheap. You can't sell lamb, replace it with mutton and expect to progress.

When the first exodus happened when Poch left we at least brought in replacements but we aren't doing it this time and seem to be relying on existing squad players/youth. If this is the new direction then fine but you can't preach progress and not actually back it up with actions. Similar teams to us are investing in their squads but we aren't.