The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

What's with the abuse?

It's what the clueless do when lack any intelligence to debate.

I was guilty of being drawn into C B Fry slanging match which I regret.

My point all along was the delay to recruit and failing to support Claude when we are struggling for goals.

Garretivo thank you for you intelligent post. So far I am a Mong and ****ing loon nice chap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone see the finishing in the warm-up yesterday? The exercise they do before every game where they all receive a layoff and then try to finish against the sub keeper?

Lets just say Tadic aside it was an absolute joke from everyone.

Striking the ball is a work of art and I can't understand why they have never brought in Le Tissier or Beattie to teach them.

Our guys either lash it, Scuff it or just panic it and hit it at the keeper.

Anyone see the finishing in the warm-up yesterday? The exercise they do before every game where they all receive a layoff and then try to finish against the sub keeper?

I was watching this before the Liverpool game, it was woeful. It is a big problem for us at the moment and it goes right through the team, not just the strikers. It's frustrating because we really aren't far way as we control most games.

Won't solve our immediate problems but Ben Brereton is scoring hundreds of goals for Forests youth team I am reliably informed by my brother in law and is the new big thing coming out of their own very good academy.

I see one of their old ones Bamford has been recalled by Chelsea.

I am surprised he hasn't really kicked on and achieved a regular slot yet anywhere given how prolific he was.

It's what the clueless do when lack any intelligence to debate.

I was guilty of being drawn into C B Fry slanging match which I regret.

My point all along was the delay to recruit and failing to support Claude when we are struggling for goals.

Garretivo thank you for you intelligent post. So far I am a Mong and ****ing loon nice chap.

You didn't get drawn into anything. You willingly chose to participate.

You claimed CB Fry was hearing voices in regard to the manager and board sutting down to discuss possible signings, and suggested he imagined a day it might happen, ie Monday.

The information about said discussions came upthread, via a tweet by a journalist in discussions with Puel, presumably post Norwich. Not that CB Fry needs anyone defending him, but he made the reasonable assumption such a talk might take place on Monday. That's when most post-match discussions take place.

He also correctly (again) points out the people hired to deal with scouting will have been doing their jobs behind the scenes, and there's no reason for the manager to be hands on with this until such time as a deal is almost over the line.

Any deals are again almost certainly going to be in the last week of the window. That doesn't mean approaches haven't been made.

Why do you assume the club isn't doing all it can behind the scenes to address our issues. We've all been around long enough to know the club does its business with cards close to chest.

Why do you think they'd change that process now? Or would you rather we whored ourselves out like West Ham.

I too will be annoyed if some reinforcements aren't found by the month, but I am prepared to wait till the end of the month.

Relegation is the least of my fears.

I would love to debate more but I'm not inclined to pay my subscription for another week or so.

But why wait until the last week? Had preparations been made when it was obvious Austin's injury was serious 6 weeks ago then we could well have had some in place by now who could have scored yesterday and given us options v Liverpool. Serious question. (Sit back and wait for snide belittling comment or a reasoned debate?)

I think it's a good question and like you say it's been obvious for a while now we've needed a striker. I think the gamble was worth taking in the summer window to go with these 3 but it hasn't paid and it has to be addressed now. I think it would have been ideal to have it sorted for January 1st but I think the realistic answer is that strikers are harder to get in January. They're in demand and probably themselves and agents know that clubs will come to them late in January so they might be trying to hold out for a better deal. I don't know of any/many top strikers that have been signed so far in January and the last 10 days is probably where most business for strikers will be done. I think this is especially so for clubs like ourselves who aren't able to attract the players we want straight away like a top club would. We're also not West Ham for example who will literally take anything going at the moment. It's very frustrating as we need one so badly but I'm happy to give the board the benefit of the doubt until the end of the month, at that stage if we dont have one in, I'll be furious.

You claimed CB Fry was hearing voices in regard to the manager and board sutting down to discuss possible signings, and suggested he imagined a day it might happen, ie Monday.

The information about said discussions came upthread, via a tweet by a journalist in discussions with Puel, presumably post Norwich. Not that CB Fry needs anyone defending him, but he made the reasonable assumption such a talk might take place on Monday. That's when most post-match discussions take place.

He also correctly (again) points out the people hired to deal with scouting will have been doing their jobs behind the scenes, and there's no reason for the manager to be hands on with this until such time as a deal is almost over the line.

Any deals are again almost certainly going to be in the last week of the window. That doesn't mean approaches haven't been made.

Why do you assume the club isn't doing all it can behind the scenes to address our issues. We've all been around long enough to know the club does its business with cards close to chest.

Why do you think they'd change that process now? Or would you rather we whored ourselves out like West Ham.

I too will be annoyed if some reinforcements aren't found by the month, but I am prepared to wait till the end of the month.

I would love to debate more but I'm not inclined to pay my subscription for another week or so.

Thanks decent post again I regret getting drawn in but leaping on me being baffled and ignoring why led to a lot of that.

As others have also said it's been obvious we have been a striker light and I had hoped an arrival was imminent backed up by post we hadn't bid yet on Gabby.

I get clubs may not want to sell but we are an attractive club to join for players

I don't believe we won't bring one in and patience is a bit thin watching us struggle to score.

I am sure we won't be disappointed just we needed help and Claude needs supporting better to get us up the table.

Thanks again for your opinion.

Absolutely. Much appreciated.

How many transfers have been made so far in the EPL? Hardly any and why? Because those players being moved on are waiting as long as possible to get the best deal possible. Please don't quote the Morgan deal, he'd agreed to join them in the summer before being advised to give it to Jan under JM.

The lad at Napoli for example, he's been told he has no future at the club and he knows a couple of EPL and at least one Bundesliga club want him so what does he do? He waits. waits to see if anyone better comes in for him, or a club he actually fancies moving to, he can afford to wait as he has 3 clubs begging him to sign so holds the aces.

For those whinging that we didn't have someone lined up then I ask who? Who is going to sell us a genuinely good striker in Jan and again, why would they sell at the start of the window when prices always get stupid at the end? As far as I can tell the only decent, available CF worth really going after is Berihino.

The Board has dropped a bol_lox. I understand their logic in not buying another CF in the summer but it was a mistake (hingsight is always 20/20) but I'm not sure throwing money at a panic signing in Jan is really the answer, we'd most likely end up with another Shane Long.

Yes we need a striker, we all know that, but I would sooner battle on with what he have (JR playing please) instead of being left with another pony player and buy in the summer.

How many transfers have been made so far in the EPL? Hardly any and why? Because those players being moved on are waiting as long as possible to get the best deal possible. Please don't quote the Morgan deal, he'd agreed to join them in the summer before being advised to give it to Jan under JM.

The lad at Napoli for example, he's been told he has no future at the club and he knows a couple of EPL and at least one Bundesliga club want him so what does he do? He waits. waits to see if anyone better comes in for him, or a club he actually fancies moving to, he can afford to wait as he has 3 clubs begging him to sign so holds the aces.

For those whinging that we didn't have someone lined up then I ask who? Who is going to sell us a genuinely good striker in Jan and again, why would they sell at the start of the window when prices always get stupid at the end? As far as I can tell the only decent, available CF worth really going after is Berihino.

The Board has dropped a bol_lox. I understand their logic in not buying another CF in the summer but it was a mistake (hingsight is always 20/20) but I'm not sure throwing money at a panic signing in Jan is really the answer, we'd most likely end up with another Shane Long.

Yes we need a striker, we all know that, but I would sooner battle on with what he have (JR playing please) instead of being left with another pony player and buy in the summer.

Not beyond realms of possibility we could get dragged into relegation scrap unless we sign a striker this month. No indication jrod, redmond or long are going to get the goals to keep us out of trouble. I'm in the mindset a new striker can't do any worse.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Not beyond realms of possibility we could get dragged into relegation scrap unless we sign a striker this month. No indication jrod, redmond or long are going to get the goals to keep us out of trouble. I'm in the mindset a new striker can't do any worse.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Any team that can't score goals is potentially relegation fodder.

I agree that panic January buying can be a risky counter productive process which is why the gamble we took on what we had last summer is now hurting us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I also agree but whichever way you look at it there is or was an element of misjudgement/mismanagement which is fuelling the current frustration. Something fundamental has changed at our club in the last 6 months, we don't appear to be as focused.

I agree that panic January buying can be a risky counter productive process which is why the gamble we took on what we had last summer is now hurting us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I also agree but whichever way you look at it there is or was an element of misjudgement/mismanagement which is fuelling the current frustration. Something fundamental has changed at our club in the last 6 months, we don't appear to be as focused.

Thing is, I don't think it's 'hindsight' to the majority of fans and observers FF, which makes the club's stance even more puzzling!

I think we've misjudged our firepower options. If Charlie stayed fit we would have picked up a few more points here & there, but his injury has exposed us badly.

I've seen this before. Mostly, when he participates, JRod is the best finisher. The rest are worryingly bad. The interesting thing to watch is where Black places the ball when he returns it to the player. Often he puts it back right in the middle of where they're standing which means their feet are all wrong which probably explains why they side foot it so often rather than try to hit it with the instep.

The only things that's changed is that probably for the first time in 6 years (?) we've made a bad call on recruitment. I can see why we made the call, Austin was set to take over as the main striker, Long had come off his best season and Rodriguez was fully fit and showed in the game before the transfer window closed he was able to score and even got VVD declaring he should be staying. Rodriguez was clearly set to be loaned out (his own words) and that goal changed everything, including getting a new striker I imagine. I'd be intrigued to know what happened to who ever that guy was, was it Heller? Did we annoy him and his people by pulling out and now are looking to explore their options before making a decision on their next move?

It's a bad call. That's all. It SHOULD be sorted this month.

I saw a couple of minutes of Udinese v Roma earlier. Edin Dzeko up front for Roma - now he would tick the right boxes. Experienced proven premier league goal scorer, tall (whoever we get has got to be tall, we desperately lack height upfront), can hold the ball up, scores with feet and head and certainly would be a presence. Now, how do we persuade title chasing Roma to sell him....☹️

If we bought a striker in now is it a case of the board "panic buying" or were they trying to "cheapskate it for a season" when we knew we didn't have enough goals in this team since game 1 and our best goal threat is injury prone.

This is the risk they took, its now become an issue and the board either need to pay the consequencies and buy a good striker or run the risk of dalek like ending to the season.

Thing is, I don't think it's 'hindsight' to the majority of fans and observers FF, which makes the club's stance even more puzzling!

Exactly, it was mistake, but the problem was so obvious that the 'mistake' was tantamount to putting all your money on one number of the roulette wheel.

If we bought a striker in now is it a case of the board "panic buying" or were they trying to "cheapskate it for a season" when we knew we didn't have enough goals in this team since game 1 and our best goal threat is injury prone.

This is the risk they took, its now become an issue and the board either need to pay the consequencies and buy a good striker or run the risk of dalek like ending to the season.

No, I would hate for us to be relegated, although it is always my greatest concern.

I can't believe we would only just start our striker search now. That has to be Puel being coy doesn't it?

Hopefully, yes. But we can only speculate.

I agree January is far from ideal to be looking for players, but shouldn't we have accounted for that last summer?

Yes indeed. If this window closes and Reed says he tried but wasn't able to get the right player at the right price, I'll have zero sympathy.

Hopefully, yes. But we can only speculate.

Yes indeed. If this window closes and Reed says he tried but wasn't able to get the right player at the right price, I'll have zero sympathy.

Yep me too. There is a lazy line of argument from some posters about 'players cost so much in January and it's a bad market'. However, that's irrelevant because it should have been sorted in the summer. The problem is that Les Reed has been given too much autonomy and power - Koeman kept him in check and before that Cortese. I think Reed is at the stage of his career where he can still oversee football governance and academy but needs to be on the golf course a bit more with Kreuger giving more responsibility to an overall Head of Recruitment.

When allied to a more mild persona like Puel that can't/won't get his key messages across to the English media, it hasn't worked out. So if the club want to retain Puel, this is probably the way to do it.

Yep me too. There is a lazy line of argument from some posters about 'players cost so much in January and it's a bad market'. However, that's irrelevant because it should have been sorted in the summer. The problem is that Les Reed has been given too much autonomy and power - Koeman kept him in check and before that Cortese. I think Reed is at the stage of his career where he can still oversee football governance and academy but needs to be on the golf course a bit more with Kreuger giving more responsibility to an overall Head of Recruitment.

When allied to a more mild persona like Puel that can't/won't get his key messages across to the English media, it hasn't worked out. So if the club want to retain Puel, this is probably the way to do it.

Just playing devils advocate but how do we know Reed didn't try to get a striker, just to be told that there was no money available, it's easy to blame him but if Kat won't release funds his hands are tied

Just playing devils advocate but how do we know Reed didn't try to get a striker, just to be told that there was no money available, it's easy to blame him but if Kat won't release funds his hands are tied

That's a good point, but we did spend in the summer. He could've got an out and out striker instead of Redmond for example.

We spent money. Lack of funds not the issue, we just thought Long, Austin and JRod would do the business.

We spent money. Lack of funds not the issue, we just thought Long, Austin and JRod would do the business.

Austin has previously scored a lot of goals for QPR in this league and was doing ok until his injury (having been messed about with the diamond at the start of the season). Rodriguez has shown signs of getting back to where he was before his injury (he scored 15 goals in the season before his injury). Shane Long got 10 goals last season in basically half a season when we actually played to his strengths. They have all shown they can score goals at this level when giving the chance (although I'm not sure Long can do it consistently)

The biggest problem is that Puel is not giving either Rodriguez or Long a sustained run with the team playing to their respective strengths. If he had done so then the goalscoring problem would not be as big as it is now.

I also think getting goals from the rest of the team is a bigger problem than the striker itself. Redmond and Tadic are absolutely woeful in front of goal and none of our midfielders ever look like scoring. The squad needs a massive overhaul if we have aspirations of regularly competing for the top 8

Edited by Verbal Kint

I agree Verbal. The squad does need an overhaul.....we do need an AMC and now (hopefully Boufal will be played in this position). Likewise I am not convinced Tadic is a good fit for us right now....he has been woeful this season.

Add to that him and Redmond couldn't hit a barn door and it is no wonder we only have 19 goals.

I would like to see Sims given an extended run in place of Tadic - he has something about him and is not always trying to go in crop circles, a la Fabrice Fernandes.

Out:

Forster

Martina

Targett

Fonte

Clasie

JWP

In:

A goalkeeper capable of kicking and coming off his line occasionally

A Fonte replacement

A central midfielder who recognises that scoring goals is actually quite important in football

A wide player who can score goals

If we did that over the next two windows and built the team around Boufal I think we'd be a much stronger team, even if we didn't buy another striker and went with the current 3. Absolutely no chance of this happening though

We can't let it become received wisdom that this was the consensus, though. There were a lot of people warning that it wouldn't be enough. I can't remember whether I was one of them, to be fair

Thanks decent post again I regret getting drawn in but leaping on me being baffled and ignoring why led to a lot of that.

As others have also said it's been obvious we have been a striker light and I had hoped an arrival was imminent backed up by post we hadn't bid yet on Gabby.

I get clubs may not want to sell but we are an attractive club to join for players

I don't believe we won't bring one in and patience is a bit thin watching us struggle to score.

I am sure we won't be disappointed just we needed help and Claude needs supporting better to get us up the table.

Thanks again for your opinion.

Also, I apologise for the abuse.

I tend to agree with others that the time to have looked at these issues was during the summer, but the club chose a direction they thought would work.

Turns out it didn't quite.

People will argue Austin was always an injury risk, but noone would have expected him to do his shoulder. So be it.

And I don't think it was wrong to expect Long and Rodriguez to score a few more, backed up by our midfield.

We have ****ed away a lot of chances this season in all competitions, which goes someway to explaining our position.

Also, our goalkeeper has turned to ****, which has cost us points.

I'm still most annoyed about our EL exit. A failure entirely of our own making, and one which only a Wembley trip will put right in my opinion.

I see Lambert was stuck on the bench again for Cardiff this weekend against Bristol City.

I honestly think we could do a lot worse than get him back on a loan/six-month deal. He knows the club inside out, the fans still love him and he would offer us something different up front. I know he's past his best and will be turning 35 soon, but I could see him coming back and getting a few vital goals for us.

I see Lambert was stuck on the bench again for Cardiff this weekend against Bristol City.

I honestly think we could do a lot worse than get him back on a loan/six-month deal. He knows the club inside out, the fans still love him and he would offer us something different up front. I know he's past his best and will be turning 35 soon, but I could see him coming back and getting a few vital goals for us.

So you really think a guy that cant get in a Cardiff team could do a job in the Premiership??!!