The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

And to think that we started the summer from a position of immense strength having finished sixth. The writing was on the wall for me when Ron walked out and we (IMO) failed to bring in the best manager available to us. We've gone backwards, there's no doubt about that. Just hope that we can survive in the Prem this and next season.

Just as a matter of interest, who was the best manager available to us and why do you judge him to be the best?

isnt Fonte more Mutton than Lamb?

He is clearly better than Yoshida, Stephens or Gardos. Anyone who claims otherwise is doing the age old trick employed by Saints fans of claiming certain of our sold players are cr*p to justify the actions of the club.

Just as a matter of interest, who was the best manager available to us and why do you judge him to be the best?

Pellegrini. Reports that he was interested, track record of winning things, managed some of the biggest clubs in the world, would potentially have attracted top draw players and perhaps would have convinced some of our leavers to stay.

No doubt I'll be shouted down and told Puel was a better fit for Saints but fact remains that he was relative unknown, had only managed in France. Did a decent job with Nice but they are now top of the French league which smacks of a Pearson/Ranieri situation at Leicester where the squad was clearly capable of more.

In my opinion Pellegrini would have represented ambition and a desire to build on our position whereas Puel struck me as a bit of a cheap appointment. I'm not opposed to using the academy at all but in a big league where there is huge competition it needs to be supplemented with experienced buys that are ready to improve our first team straight away.

It's not the sales per se, it's the lack of replacements or, when we do replace, doing it on the cheap. You can't sell lamb, replace it with mutton and expect to progress.

When the first exodus happened when Poch left we at least brought in replacements but we aren't doing it this time and seem to be relying on existing squad players/youth. If this is the new direction then fine but you can't preach progress and not actually back it up with actions. Similar teams to us are investing in their squads but we aren't.

Dont you realise the club is investing in young players including the Academy it is not economically sustainable to go out and buy new players all the time so we have to develop them

We got relegated in 2005 because we had very few young players wanting to learn and improve themselves and lots of pretty average older players

We have to give them a chance and see what happens but as Harrison Reed may not be up to it but Stephens Sims Hesketh Lewis and McQueen have shown progress Targett and JWP are in the England U21 squad and they will become better players as time goes by

We replaced Juanami Mane and Wanyama with Redmond Boufel and Hjoberg who will all probably develop in the next couple of years like Romeu and Yoshi have done

Injuries to Pied Gardos McCarthy Boufel and Austin two of which are key players has not helped the team either

Dont you realise the club is investing in young players including the Academy it is not economically sustainable to go out and buy new players all the time so we have to develop them

We got relegated in 2005 because we had very few young players wanting to learn and improve themselves and lots of pretty average older players

We have to give them a chance and see what happens but as Harrison Reed may not be up to it but Stephens Sims Hesketh Lewis and McQueen have shown progress Targett and JWP are in the England U21 squad and they will become better players as time goes by

We replaced Juanami Mane and Wanyama with Redmond Boufel and Hjoberg who will all probably develop in the next couple of years like Romeu and Yoshi have done

Injuries to Pied Gardos McCarthy Boufel and Austin two of which are key players has not helped the team either

Yes, I do understand that but you can't ignore that we receive the same amount of TV revenue as every other club and generate tens of millions from player sales every summer. We have made a net profit on transfers every year bar the year we returned to the Prem.

We have to spend to keep pace with the teams around us. Teams like West Brom, Stoke and Palace are investing decent money in their squads on players they have confidence will do an immediate job. We are taking a big risk by gambling on young players who, at the moment, don't appear to be ready.

I'm all for developing youngsters but it has to be balanced otherwise a duff season and you'll be relegated. We certainly aren't too good to go down in the next couple of years.

We have built our reputation as being the "best of the rest" but this year we are risking that. Players like Hojberg and Boufal came to us because of our status as a good club outside the top 6 that played good football. We are putting both of those positives at risk this year.

I would agree that the club are right to invest into the academy and that is probably what they are doing, but let us remember this is a long-term thing. Investment into the academy now isn’t going to improve our first team now, it may do in the course of a few years…but I don’t want to see us get into a position where we start to ignore the ‘here and now’ – we’ve done that before and it sent us to L1.

We have replaced players that we have sold; there is no argument there – not sure why people keep saying we haven’t replaced Mane. I think the likes of Boufal will come to the fore next season and Hojbjerg is just crying out for a run in the side. Redmond is a good player and does not deserve anywhere near the criticism he gets. If anything its Claude’s comments at the start of the season, which painted Redmond in an odd light and made fans expect 20 goals etc. Still think that was quite a big OG by Claude.

It's not the sales per se, it's the lack of replacements or, when we do replace, doing it on the cheap. You can't sell lamb, replace it with mutton and expect to progress.

When the first exodus happened when Poch left we at least brought in replacements but we aren't doing it this time and seem to be relying on existing squad players/youth. If this is the new direction then fine but you can't preach progress and not actually back it up with actions. Similar teams to us are investing in their squads but we aren't.

my local doner kebab say they sell lamb, but actually sell [cheaper] beef.

and they are the busiest on the high street.

Pellegrini. Reports that he was interested, track record of winning things, managed some of the biggest clubs in the world, would potentially have attracted top draw players and perhaps would have convinced some of our leavers to stay.

No doubt I'll be shouted down and told Puel was a better fit for Saints but fact remains that he was relative unknown, had only managed in France. Did a decent job with Nice but they are now top of the French league which smacks of a Pearson/Ranieri situation at Leicester where the squad was clearly capable of more.

In my opinion Pellegrini would have represented ambition and a desire to build on our position whereas Puel struck me as a bit of a cheap appointment. I'm not opposed to using the academy at all but in a big league where there is huge competition it needs to be supplemented with experienced buys that are ready to improve our first team straight away.

You think we are being cheap with managers? The Telegraph reported we offered Koeman £86,000 p/w. Ok, Everton offered more, but Saints were still willing to pay one of the highest salaries to a manager in European football. That isn't being cheap is it?

You think we are being cheap with managers? The Telegraph reported we offered Koeman £86,000 p/w. Ok, Everton offered more, but Saints were still willing to pay one of the highest salaries to a manager in European football. That isn't being cheap is it?

how much is Puel on now then? Maybe that is what he is alluding to, if Puel is on far less than yes, then potentially we have been cheap with a manager.

I don't think we have been cheap, just chose an underwhelming manager, as I'm gonna presume that VVD is our highest paid earner on £70k, so thus Puel is on £75k himself (again presuming a manager earns more than the players).

Edited by nta786

Was talking about Puel vs Pellegrini not Koeman. Also, it was more a general point about outlay. Pellegrini would have cost significantly more in my mind as he wouldn't have been happy with our limited transfer activity so the club would have had to back MP in the transfer market as opposed to Puel who continually says he's happy with what we've got and uses our youth and other back up squad players.

Edited by James

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2017/01/21/claude-puel-taken-southampton-backwards-season/

I thought this was worth a share. Nothing particularly new. I think I'm in agreement, maybe a tad harsh on Puel. I voted for Puel to stay in both polls so far but I'm starting to lose a little faith.

Read the first sentence and gave up. "laude Puel is slowly but surely taking Southampton backwards, massively, ...." Well is it slowly but surely, or is it massively? Just more negative opinions, which I can do without, even if it is true.

The telegraph reported. = Fact? Quoting facts that aren't actually facts doesn't create fact...

The telegraph reported. = Fact? Quoting facts that aren't actually facts doesn't create fact...

Ha! tell that to most of the doomsayers on here, that post their opinion as absolute fact, then rubbish anyone who dares to argue the point. I suspect that only two or three posters on here, have an insight into the club, and as such, post 'facts', the rest is just opinions based on overactive minds, or crap media reporting.

Ha! tell that to most of the doomsayers on here, that post their opinion as absolute fact, then rubbish anyone who dares to argue the point. I suspect that only two or three posters on here, have an insight into the club, and as such, post 'facts', the rest is just opinions based on overactive minds, or crap media reporting.

Except Jeremy Wilson is patently the best informed journalist on all things Saints and gets a lot of information from the club, and elsewhere.

If you're prepared to describe the stuff posted on here by "two or three posters" as "facts", then what Jeremy Wilson writes is just as factual.

Let's be clear on a few things. Southampton will not tell you what you want to hear.

They certainly wouldn't leak information that would undermine their position in negotiations.

Read between the lines and you'll get the picture of what Les Reed is doing behind the scenes.

Development of youth is excellent this season we are back on track after Koeman.

Let's not forget the goal of Southampton it hasn't change, just your expectations have changed.

We want a team which boasts 5-6 home grown players, but we are also a brand.

Our brand of football at the moment must improve to improve better returns commercial.

2 players have been on the table for a while. Only 2 targets. The rest are smoke screens.

Let's be clear on a few things. Southampton will not tell you what you want to hear.

They certainly wouldn't leak information that would undermine their position in negotiations.

Read between the lines and you'll get the picture of what Les Reed is doing behind the scenes.

Development of youth is excellent this season we are back on track after Koeman.

Let's not forget the goal of Southampton it hasn't change, just your expectations have changed.

We want a team which boasts 5-6 home grown players, but we are also a brand.

Our brand of football at the moment must improve to improve better returns commercial.

2 players have been on the table for a while. Only 2 targets. The rest are smoke screens.

where are you reading this from?

I would agree that the club are right to invest into the academy and that is probably what they are doing, but let us remember this is a long-term thing. Investment into the academy now isn’t going to improve our first team now, it may do in the course of a few years…but I don’t want to see us get into a position where we start to ignore the ‘here and now’ – we’ve done that before and it sent us to L1.

We have replaced players that we have sold; there is no argument there – not sure why people keep saying we haven’t replaced Mane. I think the likes of Boufal will come to the fore next season and Hojbjerg is just crying out for a run in the side. Redmond is a good player and does not deserve anywhere near the criticism he gets. If anything its Claude’s comments at the start of the season, which painted Redmond in an odd light and made fans expect 20 goals etc. Still think that was quite a big OG by Claude.

Completely wrong - it was focusing on the 'here and now' as you put it that got us into grave financial difficulties which forced us to play youngsters who were not ready. Please don't rewrite history!

Put this on the match thread but probably should have gone here. Claude's thoughts on transfers post today's match.

“We will see until the end of the market, and we will take things about an opportunity or not to take another centre back,” he reflected.

“I am also happy with the possibilities in defence and we see if Gardos can come back with a good level.

“We will see this with calm and whether there is a possibility or not to take another player in place of Jose.”

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2017/01/21/claude-puel-taken-southampton-backwards-season/

I thought this was worth a share. Nothing particularly new. I think I'm in agreement, maybe a tad harsh on Puel. I voted for Puel to stay in both polls so far but I'm starting to lose a little faith.

Typical garbage from a wannabe footy journo.

Put this on the match thread but probably should have gone here. Claude's thoughts on transfers post today's match.

“We will see until the end of the market, and we will take things about an opportunity or not to take another centre back,” he reflected.

“I am also happy with the possibilities in defence and we see if Gardos can come back with a good level.

“We will see this with calm and whether there is a possibility or not to take another player in place of Jose.”

My take on that would be, we are after someone and if we get him great, if not, we will say we are happy with what we have.

Nothing at the moment. I thought we had lined up a CB (it was a rumour around the club a few weeks before Xmas), but so far it seems that nothing has materialised. There could be a million reasons why not, esp in January where any good deals go through last min (after the player has waited in case any better deals come through). I'm confident we will sign someone next week though. I may well hear about it a few days before completion.

You seemed quite confident we'd made our first signing a couple of weeks ago, weren't you? £15m I think it was. Was that the CB, then?