The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

It would be worth it if he's any good.

He's not great from what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His goal scoring record isn't very good, so it's kind of hard to get excited about him.

That said, I'm sure (or at least I really hope) that we wouldn't be willing to spend close to our record fee on him if he didn't have something about him.

It would be worth it if he's any good.

He's not great from what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Serie A players in the past 6 years have flopped in the Premier League too, so not bringing my hopes up: Jovetic, Lamela arguably, Cuadrado, Balotelli, Darmian, not to forget our own Gaston and Osvaldo.

These are off the too of my head, only Coutinho in the past 6 years comes to mind as someone who has been great.

So yes- i'm gonna be a fickle football fan and rule out a whole league to buy players from!!!

His goal scoring record isn't very good, so it's kind of hard to get excited about him.

That said, I'm sure (or at least I really hope) that we wouldn't be willing to spend close to our record fee on him if he didn't have something about him.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.

Well that depends what your expectations are and who you're comparing him to I suppose. Compared to say Austin, they're not that great. Gabbiadini has never scored more than 8 league goals in a season.

I admit that when I looked at his total career goals, they were better than I thought. Still under 1 in 3 though.

I'd still be happy if we signed him, just surprised that he's the player we are going for.

Well that depends what your expectations are and who you're comparing him to I suppose. Compared to say Austin, they're not that great. Gabbiadini has never scored more than 8 league goals in a season.

I admit that when I looked at his total career goals, they were better than I thought. Still under 1 in 3 though.

I'd still be happy if we signed him, just surprised that he's the player we are going for.

I figured you had come to the conclusion that he is a poor goal scorer just by looking at his goals per game record. Pretty much everyone who has come to to the same conclusion has done the same.

Just looking at his goals per game record paint a false picture because a lot of his games have been second half sub appearances. He has averaged 41 mins per game this season, 33 last season and 54 the season before.

This season he has 0.58 goals per 90 mins, 0.82 last season and 0.74 the season before, consistently above the equivalent of 1 in 2.

And he scored 15 league goals in 2014/15.

If his best 'top level' return is 15 and Longs is 10 then a value Of €20m seems fair. Why? His best return is 50% more than Long. One shlong is currently €14m. +50% is €21m.

Take into consideration his recent lack of game time and goals and meet in the middle at €17.5? Deal negotiated.

I could do Les' job, easy peasy.

I would get Bruno Martins Indi from Porto. He's had a great season so far on loan at Stoke. Bet he's cheaper than Sakho too.

Then Take Edin Dzeko from Roma. Probably take £15-£20m, but both have the determination & motivation to get better too.

Yeah, that sounds realistic. Maybe a cheeky bid for Cavanni or Aubemyang as well?

Don't forget he didn't play as an out and out centre forward then.

The guy is an inside forward, and a very good one at that. He is not an out and out striker though.

A few interesting articles on him. Certainly the goal record is a bit of a red herring because he is often used as a sub by Napoli. He goal return when starting is very good albeit with a smaller sample.

http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/manolo-gabbiadini-solution-striking-problems/

http://www.thesirenssong.com/platform/amp/calciomercato-napoli-transfer-rumors/2015/1/6/7498409/transfer-scouting-manolo-gabbiadini-forward-new-signing-sampdoria?

A few interesting articles on him. Certainly the goal record is a bit of a red herring because he is often used as a sub by Napoli. He goal return when starting is very good albeit with a smaller sample.

http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/manolo-gabbiadini-solution-striking-problems/

http://www.thesirenssong.com/platform/amp/calciomercato-napoli-transfer-rumors/2015/1/6/7498409/transfer-scouting-manolo-gabbiadini-forward-new-signing-sampdoria?

Good articles. Cheers for posting them.

Thanks for posting these articles. I confess i have never seen this lad play but i do like what i've read about him.

www.thesirenssong.com/platform/amp/calciomercato-napoli-transfer-rumors/2015/1/6/7498409/transfer-scouting-manolo-gabbiadini-forward-new-signing-sampdoria?

In The Times this morning:

'Southampton are watching Molla Wagué, the Udinese central defender, and have made an enquiry for Manila Gabbiadini, but have been put off by Napoli's £15million valuation of the striker. Watford and Crystal Palace have also considered Wagué.'

Edit: Sorry DuncanRG for posting this again, I hadn't seen your earlier post.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Just woken up

Don't forget he didn't play as an out and out centre forward then.

The guy is an inside forward, and a very good one at that. He is not an out and out striker though.

This.

Would expect to see him compete with Redmond rather than JRod.

J has started to find some form recently and with Austin to come back I would say a front 3 of Boufal, Jay, Gabbiadini would be very strong.

To think we'd still have Tadic, Austin, Sims and Remond as other options...

I still think we are lacking a forward minded CM, who can break into the opposition area and find that killer ball in the final 3rd (although, IMO, PEH was excellent in this role on Sunday). In an ideal world, Swansea will go down and we'll get Sigurdsson at a reduced price.

This.

Would expect to see him compete with Redmond rather than JRod.

J has started to find some form recently and with Austin to come back I would say a front 3 of Boufal, Jay, Gabbiadini would be very strong.

To think we'd still have Tadic, Austin, Sims and Remond as other options...

I still think we are lacking a forward minded CM, who can break into the opposition area and find that killer ball in the final 3rd (although, IMO, PEH was excellent in this role on Sunday). In an ideal world, Swansea will go down and we'll get Sigurdsson at a reduced price.

I imagine there would be plenty of interest so that seems unlikely.

Great and very interesting articles based on facts.

Looks like Les follows that football Radar twitter

200w.gif#0

I figured you had come to the conclusion that he is a poor goal scorer just by looking at his goals per game record. Pretty much everyone who has come to to the same conclusion has done the same.

Just looking at his goals per game record paint a false picture because a lot of his games have been second half sub appearances. He has averaged 41 mins per game this season, 33 last season and 54 the season before.

This season he has 0.58 goals per 90 mins, 0.82 last season and 0.74 the season before, consistently above the equivalent of 1 in 2.

Cool, thanks for the info! I didn't have time to look that up so nice to have someone do it. Let's hope, if we do get him, that he continues those percentages when playing more regularly.

Can't believe the amount of pro comments about jagielka. He is old, slow and basically crap. Rather cuco play CB than sign him lol

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Jagielka is only 34. Two of the Premier League's top goal scorers this season are Ibrahimovic, aged 35, and Defoe, aged 34. Real Madrid's Pepe is 34 next month and Chelsea were led to the league title by 34-year-old John Terry. Nowadays, centre backs especially are at their peak in their early 30s.

Jagielka is only 34. Two of the Premier League's top goal scorers this season are Ibrahimovic, aged 35, and Defoe, aged 34. Real Madrid's Pepe is 34 next month and Chelsea were led to the league title by 34-year-old John Terry. Nowadays, centre backs especially are at their peak in their early 30s.

At 34 he would only have one good season left in him. After 35 you lose all the elasticity in the joints.

Kaveh Solhekol ‏@SkyKaveh

Southampton talking to Napoli today about signing striker Manolo Gabbiadini. Napoli want £17 million. Too much for Southampton.

IF this is true and £17m is too much for Saints as in we can't afford it then where the hell has the money gone?! IF this is true in the sense that we will not spend £17m on a striker then we are going to go backwards very quickly. IF we do not rate this player at 17m then really, why are we going for him?!! We need to sign a striker of this level plus to improve on what we have? However I suspect the line is just more Sky spin to make the big clubs look bigger and the smaller ones look smaller as is their agenda.

IF this is true and £17m is too much for Saints as in we can't afford it then where the hell has the money gone?! IF this is true in the sense that we will not spend £17m on a striker then we are going to go backwards very quickly. IF we do not rate this player at 17m then really, why are we going for him?!! We need to sign a striker of this level plus to improve on what we have? However I suspect the line is just more Sky spin to make the big clubs look bigger and the smaller ones look smaller as is their agenda.

Or it could be that 17m is too much in regards what Saints are willing to pay for him based on their valuation of him as a footballer, not that we would be unable to find the money.

Personally i'm with the club on this, find the right deal. Certainly don't panic into massively overspending on someone who turns out not to be the desired solution.

i think we're being very sensible not to pay that price for him. Napoli want to offload him, as he is an injury-prone liability, who has only managed 2 full 90 minute league appearances in the last 2 years. They will take any offer they can get for him on transfer deadline day.

GABBIADINI LATEST

Negotiations continue today between Napoli and Southampton over the potential transfer of Manolo Gabbiadini, according to Sky in Italy.

We understand Napoli will have to reduce their asking price to £13m, otherwise it will be difficult to find agreement.

Napoli are understood to want £17 million. Sky in Italy understand Schalke 04 and Borussia Mönchengladbach are also interested in the player.

IF...we can't afford it

As others have suggested, I would venture that you're misinterpreting what the Sky reporter was saying (or perhaps he didn't articulate it as clearly as he could've). I suspect this is more about Napoli's value being "too much" rather than anything to do with our ability to pay, per se.

Edited by trousers

If you knew anything, which clearly you don't, you'd know that even his own agent has said he's over priced and suggested a fee of around €15m as much more reasonable.

Napoli simply want a great big slice of the EPL money pie so dry your eyes pick your toys up and lets wait to see what pans out shall we.

Clearly Napoli are holding out for the maximum they want, which they're entitled to. At the end of the day the club know he will need to be gone by the end of the window, so if someone doesn't pay what they want then they will come up with compromises all over the board. I can still see a loan on the last day being agreed.

Clearly Napoli are holding out for the maximum they want, which they're entitled to. At the end of the day the club know he will need to be gone by the end of the window, so if someone doesn't pay what they want then they will come up with compromises all over the board. I can still see a loan on the last day being agreed.

So can I. Perhaps similar to the Zaza loan (hopefully with a better result) :)

Or it could be that 17m is too much in regards what Saints are willing to pay for him based on their valuation of him as a footballer, not that we would be unable to find the money.

Personally i'm with the club on this, find the right deal. Certainly don't panic into massively overspending on someone who turns out not to be the desired solution.

I said that......

i think we're being very sensible not to pay that price for him. Napoli want to offload him, as he is an injury-prone liability, who has only managed 2 full 90 minute league appearances in the last 2 years. They will take any offer they can get for him on transfer deadline day.

Maybe but we need a decent striker not neccessarily one that is "cheap"

As others have suggested, I would venture that you're misinterpreting what the Sky reporter was saying (or perhaps he didn't articulate it as clearly as he could've). I suspect this is more about Napoli's value being "too much" rather than anything to do with our ability to pay, per se.

Very possible but thats the problem with reporters, they make comments open to interpretation!!

What evidence do you have for this 'agenda'? It's nonsense.

What I hear......you can choose to ignore it if you want, I do not.

If you knew anything, which clearly you don't, you'd know that even his own agent has said he's over priced and suggested a fee of around €15m as much more reasonable.

Napoli simply want a great big slice of the EPL money pie so dry your eyes pick your toys up and lets wait to see what pans out shall we.

What a lovely chap you are spouting from your pedestal. Want to add any context to that? I know a vast many things but if you "know" more in regard to this particular rumour, well done indeed, I will bow to your superiority, but I doubt you really do.

So can I. Perhaps similar to the Zaza loan (hopefully with a better result) :)

Yeah, totally. Have never been a massive fan of the ‘turns permanent after x amount of games’ deals. Those sort of deals have screwed many clubs up, similar happened with Sunderland and Ricky Alverez.

They returned him as they didn’t want him, but Inter said…hang on, he’s played x amount of games therefore he is yours. It went back and forth for a while, but I think it ended up with Sunderland paying Inter the ‘fee’ and Inter keeping the player and sending him elsewhere.

Cockup galore. But then that’s why Sunderland are where they are.

If I was Sir Les I'd offer £13m tomorrow but say this will reduce by £1m per day to the close of the transfer window.

I'd then sit back and watch this place fall into meltdown as multiple toys come out of multiple prams with the days ticking by.

I'd then secure a £7m deal on 31 Jan.

I've heard Gabiadini talked about as a real talent on Football Weekly. James Richardson and Paolo Baldini really rate him, as an inside forward, not someone to lead the line.

Would suit the way Puel want's to play, but not the big man up front back stick early doors brigade.

I really hope that we are nowhere near interested in Gabbiadini. He has an awful record and saw him at a game at San Paolo last year. Hard-working but no attacking threats. A Shane Long without speed and smartness. If we are signing him, we have lost it transferwise. Hopefully just a media story circulating.

I really hope that we are nowhere near interested in Gabbiadini. He has an awful record and saw him at a game at San Paolo last year. Hard-working but no attacking threats. A Shane Long without speed and smartness. If we are signing him, we have lost it transferwise. Hopefully just a media story circulating.

I can't be bothered to pick apart your post, but you're just wrong and you don't know anything about the player.