The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Not sure why everyone is obsessed with signing Morgan again. The bloke doesn't want to come here, he acted like a child when he wasn't allowed to move when he wanted to, we sold him in the end, let's move on.

TBF Morgan took a huff when we (presumably Reed) backtracked on the gentlemens agreement

Morgan is an excellent player and better than we have just now. Would be great to get him back but we won't - some unknown from the Dutch league is probably more our style

Everyone seems keen to sign a striker - can people start naming realistic targets that will actually move in Jan?

People on over 40k/week won't be coming

People over 28 won't be coming

People still in the Champions League / Europa League / Their current club is doing well in their respective league - won't be coming

So someone cheap doing well in a **** team that isn't in Europe and has no hopes of doing well in the league - might as well get Gallagher back.

Everyone seems keen to sign a striker - can people start naming realistic targets that will actually move in Jan?

People on over 40k/week won't be coming

People over 28 won't be coming

People still in the Champions League / Europa League / Their current club is doing well in their respective league - won't be coming

So someone cheap doing well in a **** team that isn't in Europe and has no hopes of doing well in the league - might as well get Gallagher back.

You can likely raise that up a bit. An average premier league wage is more than 40k a week.

You can likely raise that up a bit. An average premier league wage is more than 40k a week.

I meant more than 40k at the moment - i could imagine us offering wages around the 60/70k mark to entice someone. Someone on that figure already isn't going to take a flat move i would doubt.

All the PL strikers are crap and expensive as well.

Just been reading up on Nice's season in Ligue 1 this season. Malang Sarr sounds like a talent in the making.

17 years old. Centre-back. Left footed.

I've watched a few Nice FC games on KODI this season, they do have a few very talented players

Lucien Favre seems to have united the club/fans at Nice and is playing a brand of football winning many plaudits and admirers - not sure many would leave this January especially if Nice are still top of the league?

I've watched a few Nice FC games on KODI this season, they do have a few very talented players

Lucien Favre seems to have united the club/fans at Nice and is playing a brand of football winning many plaudits and admirers - not sure many would leave this January especially if Nice are still top of the league?

A good read on them: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2016/oct/25/nice-ligue-1-mario-balotelli-europe

Edit - saw it was posted yesterday.

He's a 25yr old serbian midfielder who scores goals, doesn't get on with the coach so is currently being made to train in the reserves but has played 5 times this season scored 2 goals and 1 assist with a whoscored rating of 7.65, infact his whole career he has rated higher than 7 for alkmaar and ajax over the seasons.

Reckon he would compliment pierre in the 2 shuttling midfielder roles.

Obligatory youtube:

Edited by Convict Colony

Edit - saw it was posted yesterday.

He's a 25yr old serbian midfielder who scores goals, doesn't get on with the coach so is currently being made to train in the reserves but has played 5 times this season scored 2 goals and 1 assist with a whoscored rating of 7.65, infact his whole career he has rated higher than 7 for alkmaar and ajax over the seasons.

Reckon he would compliment pierre in the 2 shuttling midfielder roles.

Obligatory youtube:

Maybe something in it?

Ajax director Van der Sar says midfielder won’t go cheap following Southampton talks:

Ajax director Edwin van der Sar has told the Dutch media he won’t be pressured into selling Nemanja Gudelj on the cheap in January. The Serbia international has been linked with a move to Southampton following claims the Premier League side have been in talks to sign the midfielder.

Voetbal International have reported on comments Van der Sar made to Dutch TV in which he said they will evaluate the situation with Gudelji in the coming weeks.

The former Manchester United star confirmed the player wouldn’t be sold on the cheap to Southampton, or anywhere else, because he holds a certain value. Van der Sar went on to say he expects Gudelji to continue putting in effort whilst he’s still at Ajax, as he’s contracted to do so.

“He’s remained in his position. Now that the winter is coming, we have to see how it goes, but I’m not in favour of letting him go easily. Yes, he represents a certain transfer value. He signed for a certain period and he’s expected to work. In anyone’s contract you agree to play first,” said the Ajax director.

Southampton are said to be in talks to sign Gudelj as they look to bolster their squad in the next transfer window. Claude Puel will be hoping to strengthen his squad in the new year and the Serbian is an option.

It’s been revealed Ajax are looking for €7m from Southampton to land the 25-year-old, and they won’t be under pressure to reduce the price given he’s contracted to the club until June 2020.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/ajax-director-van-der-sar-says-midfielder-wont-go-cheap-following-southampton-talks/

We need a good striker, and in case vvd is sold, we would need a really good cb to replace him, fontes replacement i read, fonte's replacement does not have to come in january, it can wait, but if vvd goes we need a good cb, and a striker is the priority, jrod is in a bad form and we have to replace him. Cabaye also read uo here? Cabaye, really? I think for the money cabaye would cost, we can buy possitions that are more necessary, the midfield is fine by me, romeu hojbjerg davis clasie jwp, i think the midfield can wait, and instead of cabaye we can bring back morgan, he is not playing at man ut.

Sorry for the english, im argentinian

We need a good striker, and in case vvd is sold, we would need a really good cb to replace him, fontes replacement i read, fonte's replacement does not have to come in january, it can wait, but if vvd goes we need a good cb, and a striker is the priority, jrod is in a bad form and we have to replace him. Cabaye also read uo here? Cabaye, really? I think for the money cabaye would cost, we can buy possitions that are more necessary, the midfield is fine by me, romeu hojbjerg davis clasie jwp, i think the midfield can wait, and instead of cabaye we can bring back morgan, he is not playing at man ut.

Sorry for the english, im argentinian

Have you been away?

It will be Quite depressing to see Morgan go to WBA whilst we have Classie filling a squad number

Incredibly depressing if he goes there. Chez, you talk about Clasie filling a squad number at the expense of someone like Morgan; but what about JWP? Still with us, not getting any better and showing neither defensive or attacking mid-field capabilities.

Yeah because west brom are going to pay him a 120k a week. He is far better than several of current midfield options as well.

Which is why he won't be going to WBA. He'll go to Everton, who will pay him that sort of money. Just because he's better than some of our midfielders doesn't mean we should be signing him for huge money on a huge contract

Yeah because west brom are going to pay him a 120k a week. He is far better than several of current midfield options as well.

Why not? if they want the player they'll have to pay the money. If they don't then Everton will as I can't imagine he'll be too inclined to take a pay cut.

Really don't understand the obsession of wanting Morgan back. He made his bed, let him lie in it. Also, We have more than enough CM's with a defensive mentality, he's just not what we need.

Why not? if they want the player they'll have to pay the money. If they don't then Everton will as I can't imagine he'll be too inclined to take a pay cut.

Really don't understand the obsession of wanting Morgan back. He made his bed, let him lie in it. Also, We have more than enough CM's with a defensive mentality, he's just not what we need.

While I agree that we should probably be looking at other options than Morgan, especially for £18m and £120k pw, I've seen nothing from any of our midfielders except Romeu to suggest they are anywhere near as good as him, so he would at the very least be an upgrade to our best XI.

Incredibly depressing if he goes there. Chez, you talk about Clasie filling a squad number at the expense of someone like Morgan; but what about JWP? Still with us, not getting any better and showing neither defensive or attacking mid-field capabilities.

You really do have an agenda against the lad. every post from you, runs him down, I can only think he p1ssed you off big style at some point in your life. Thanks be, that the coaches at Southampton and England have a tad more knowledge than you.

You really think west brom can afford wages like that? Morgan was one of the classiest midfielders to play in a saints shirt in years, imo, a quality player who would improve our squad I can't imagine a time when a better player than what we currently have is "just not what we need".

You really do have an agenda against the lad. every post from you, runs him down, I can only think he p1ssed you off big style at some point in your life. Thanks be, that the coaches at Southampton and England have a tad more knowledge than you.

You're right about one thing - I don't rate JWP at all as a current Saint's midfielder; particularly when judged against the amount of hype and promotion he has received - not his fault of course. Maybe coaches in the UK do have more knowledge than me, but I can spot a limited Footballer when I see one. It was very noticeable in our game v Bournmouth how quickly and directly our play flowed through midfield with Clasie, Davis and Hojbjerg - Davis and Hoj providing the run and attacking passes which JWP just isn't capable of. Defensively, he offers little compared to Clasie, Romeu, Hoj, Davis and Reed.

Get back to me in a season or two and let's see how the lad is going. It's also significant that Pochettino, Koeman or for that matter any other Prem Manager has ever made an enquiry for him. So there is a limit to the impression he's making on scouts, managers and rival Clubs.

You really think west brom can afford wages like that? Morgan was one of the classiest midfielders to play in a saints shirt in years, imo, a quality player who would improve our squad I can't imagine a time when a better player than what we currently have is "just not what we need".

With the new TV deal, yes (obviously this would make him one of highest paid players).

Scoring goals & breaking down defense is our issue, so unless Morgan is going to chip in with 5-10 goals a season, the the 20 mil + wages would be better spent. IMO we would be weakening our squad if we weren't to strengthen in a place where we need strengthening. Of course if money wasn't an issue, then I'd have him back. But there is absolutely no chance we would spend 20 mil on a CM and then sign another one in the same season / window.

Player for player (biased on form 2 or 3 years ago) he is better than anyone in our midfield but if we were to bring anyone back id say Vic would be better suited to compete with Romeu (where we need cover).

PEH isn't the finished article yet but has shown signs of being as classy as Morgan (hopefully that will come) & Clasie has really stepped up and show he has the ability to be a PL player this season, especially the last couple of games IMO.