The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Sam Gallagher starting for Blackburn today, which cup ties him, so likely won't expect to see him back until the summer.

But meanwhile, Rtan Seager is playing again ,and scored on his return to the u-23s. He's a natural goal scorer, and at nearly 21 is just at the age when he ought to break through into the first team, IF he ever will, and IF he is now really fit again.

But meanwhile, Rtan Seager is playing again ,and scored on his return to the u-23s. He's a natural goal scorer, and at nearly 21 is just at the age when he ought to break through into the first team, IF he ever will, and IF he is now really fit again.

He's coming back from a serious injury so I can't see him being playing for the first team for a good while yet. Will need quite a few kickaround games with the U23's to build up fitness first.

When the new master plan from Les is to finish/celebrate 9th - why not.

Team we have is good enough for 7th - 10th place so why buy big now?

Have you ever considered jumping off the top of a multi story carpark, at least we wouldnt need to read your drivel anymore. Bonus

Still no sign of a player who regularly hit the back of the net then? The club aren't seriously going to make Puel soldier on through the second half of the season with Jrod and Long as our main strikers are they?

I find that impossible to believe.

Mind you, I found it impossible to believe Leicester would win the league, or the orange lunatic would be elected president of the USA.

Seems a bit quiet given our urgent need for players. No?

What is "quiet" exactly? You support Saints, not West Ham who feel the need to blurt out to SSN they are signing X, Y & Z. Just because Saints transfer news isn't in the press, doesn't mean they aren't doing lots of things behind the scenes. In any case January really isn't a good month to be a buyer, as it is harder to get good value for money.

This year will almost certainly have to be an exception which is largely of our own doing due to our lack of recruitment in the Summer window.

Yeah, assuming Gardos isn't being considered & if Fonte is off, we've only got 2 1st team centre-backs, with Stephens as cover.

Yeah, assuming Gardos isn't being considered & if Fonte is off, we've only got 2 1st team centre-backs, with Stephens as cover.

I was thinking more up front but yes you are right. If Fonte goes then we'll have to have someone in at CB as you say it seems Gardos is not felt up to the job / fit by the club. Actually one of the Swedish posters said yesterday (I think) that he had heard Gardos has gone on loan although if that was the case you would think we would have heard officially on that score. In saying that, Gardos' whole time at Saints has been off the radar so who knows.

This year will almost certainly have to be an exception which is largely of our own doing due to our lack of recruitment in the Summer window.

We’ve missed a trick I think - been found a bit flat footed.

We are told time and time again that targets are identified a long time in advance and given the striker shortage and Austin’s injury Reed could have been (should have been) looking to secure a transfer Jan 1st or as earliest as physically possible.

Imagine if we'd had bought in a decent striker - he could be making his debut against Liverpool Wednesday night and that would have given the fans, the club everyone a huge lift.

Everything at the club just now - playing style, ambition, transfers, players attitudes ect ect all feels very lethargic

What is "quiet" exactly? You support Saints, not West Ham who feel the need to blurt out to SSN they are signing X, Y & Z. Just because Saints transfer news isn't in the press, doesn't mean they aren't doing lots of things behind the scenes. In any case January really isn't a good month to be a buyer, as it is harder to get good value for money.

Normally I'd agree but with Austin out for most if not all the season we cant seriously hope to get by with just Long and Jrod for the rest of the season.

True...

But as a customer who was charged the same as last year, the standard of the product on offer is pretty dire and certainly much worse value/entertaining. I just want to be entertained, and I really haven't been this season save for the very odd exception.

What we need to do is say were trying to sign him, him, him and him and when it does not happen

the whingers can say "we have no ambition as we obviously did not offer enough cos Les is tight and Kat is pocketing it all ffs"

I think the question surrounding ambition will be answered this window.

It's pretty clear we need to invest in a top center forward as well as renforcements in other postions (CB and ACM) lets see if Les & Kat pull it out the bag

True...

But as a customer who was charged the same as last year, the standard of the product on offer is pretty dire and certainly much worse value/entertaining. I just want to be entertained, and I really haven't been this season save for the very odd exception.

I'm surprised at how many people were so entertained last season if take out the very tail end of the season and Arsenal on boxing day and we were not very entertaining at all. Certainly not on any regular basis.

What we need to do is say were trying to sign him, him, him and him and when it does not happen

the whingers can say "we have no ambition as we obviously did not offer enough cos Les is tight and Kat is pocketing it all ffs"

Or alternatively, you can quote the vast majority of posters and fans attending SMS who are happy with the owner and the club overall but can clearly see that we were a striker light by 1 September and were astonished Reed didn't get another in. Moreover, those same people are getting restless (me included) with the toothless, and recently dull football which results. It cost us getting out of our EL Group when we were the best side, has cost us countless league points and may cost us V Liverpool in the LC.

Be good if this could be recognised e.g. most people aren't in either the Alpine/Nordic/Glasgow 'it's all awful' camps nor the MLG/Pampelmoose 'everything is great' camps, but somewhere pragmatically in-between. Might make the forum a better read.

Or alternatively, you can quote the vast majority of posters and fans attending SMS who are happy with the owner and the club overall but can clearly see that we were a striker light by 1 September and were astonished Reed didn't get another in. Moreover, those same people are getting restless (me included) with the toothless, and recently dull football which results. It cost us getting out of our EL Group when we were the best side, has cost us countless league points and may cost us V Liverpool in the LC.

Be good if this could be recognised e.g. most people aren't in either the Alpine/Nordic/Glasgow 'it's all awful' camps nor the MLG/Pampelmoose 'everything is great' camps, but somewhere pragmatically in-between. Might make the forum a better read.

I was prepared to give them ago and wasn't to upset with our options in the summer

If Long had managed to keep up the form he finished last season with that would have been OK.... sadly he hasn't

I really like Jrod so I really wanted him to get a chance to get back to his old self ... sadly that doesn't look likely

I figured Austin had goals in him... he does but he is out for the rest of the season

So now we need a striker/CF or we are going struggle second half the season badly

It's pretty clear we need to invest in a top center forward as well as renforcements in other postions (CB and ACM) lets see if Les & Kat pull it out the bag

I don't agree at all. No club is going to sell their top CF in Jan' unless it's a Berihino/Austin type scenario and to believe that Saints can just whistle one up is living in lala land.

Saints might well land a CF but it won't be a top CF and the usual spu_nktrumpets will be on his case as soon as he misses a sitter.

I would love to quote those people who have a normal perspective but they dont post as often as they are bright enough to know it`s not nessasary to continually do so

but the "its all doom" nutters feel the need to post the same garbage every few minutes unchallenged by the moderators, if the latter group were challenged it would indeed be a better read

I don't agree at all. No club is going to sell their top CF in Jan' unless it's a Berihino/Austin type scenario and to believe that Saints can just whistle one up is living in lala land.

Saints might well land a CF but it won't be a top CF and the usual spu_nktrumpets will be on his case as soon as he misses a sitter.

I think saints (hell everyone bar a dozen clubs in Europe) have been well priced out of buying a "top" CF I'd still like to see another option upfront in Jan though.

is there any point in investing heavily this window though where prices are usually inflated and it is harder to buy as clubs become reluctant to sell mid-season? (unless an Austin style deal becomes available)

I mean, we aren't gonna finish top 6, and apart from the LC semi-finals, I doubt we will buy a striker for those 2 games and I reckon Les will see the season out with a whimper (mid-table avoiding relegation) and then decide to buy in the summer ready for the 2017-18 season.

Yep couldn't agree more

Spot on.

Moreover, as Austin was ruled out for months weeks ago AND we knew we would also be without Boufal for a number of weeks (even before his injury) I was very much hoping a striker would have been brought in already; alas, hoping, but not really expecting.

I love how everyone reads that and immediately classes themselves as one of those :lol:

This

The only way we'll get a CF is if a long term target suddenly becomes available or we nip in and bag someone we want in the summer ala Austin.

We had 3 guys who could play down the middle to suppliant Redmond , Tadic & Boufall. What did people want 4 in case one got injured. Do people really think a club our size should carry 4 " premiership ready" central strikers? 3 is reasonable even allowing for injuries , 2 long term injuries then maybe you need to get a loan or someone in, but not one. Do people really think Reed & co never considered one of our players may have got injured when building the squad.

The mistake was probably keeping long or thinking that JRod could get his levels back, however imagine the slagging off they'd get if we'd sold one of them preseason. Clearly it's not a numbers problem, it's shiete finishers that are the problem and I can't see any better finishers being available without paying stupid money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True...

After the abysmal performance at home against HBS, I'm currently voting with my feet.

Agents on corriera says he cannot tell you who Gabbiadini is going to- "even under torture" but it will be bundesliga or epl. He fits Saints needs and Saints total news blackout modus operandii. And if hes sub $20m i would say its a fair price for a versatile player with an appreciated resale value in 2/3 years when hes 27/28 exactly like Saints usually love to do...

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/news/calcio/calcio-mercato/2017/01/09-19745241/pagliari_gabbiadini_via_la_decisione_e_presa_/

Agree - I am still wracked with disappointment about our exit from Europe, and the frankly listless, turgid attacking display we turned in against Beer'Sheva. Since then apart from against Bournemouth where we were ruddy good to be honest, we have been much the same.. It's frustrating because you can see the potential but we have foregone many points/wins etc because of our failure to convert our chances because of the lack of a Rickie/Pelle type goalscorer.

I am very much still in Kat's camp in terms of support but I totally agree that even somebody of the shot sight of Mr Magoo could identify we wre a striker light at the start of the season, and with Charlie injured we are now 2 short!

Agree - I am still wracked with disappointment about our exit from Europe, and the frankly listless, turgid attacking display we turned in against Beer'Sheva. Since then apart from against Bournemouth where we were ruddy good to be honest, we have been much the same.. It's frustrating because you can see the potential but we have foregone many points/wins etc because of our failure to convert our chances because of the lack of a Rickie/Pelle type goalscorer.

I am very much still in Kat's camp in terms of support but I totally agree that even somebody of the shot sight of Mr Magoo could identify we wre a striker light at the start of the season, and with Charlie injured we are now 2 short!

Actually, Mr Magoo on a free wouldn't be a bad shout. And probably knows where the goal is more than our lot.

One to make you laugh:

According to Gummi Ben; Icelandic ex pro and current commentator says:

Sagan segir að Southampton sé búið að bjóða 34M punda fyrir Gylfa Sig.

Swansea á að hafa hafnað því ágæta boði. #Messan #Enski365 #Swansea

Which i reckon says something like we bid £34m for Sigardsson.

One to make you laugh:

According to Gummi Ben; Icelandic ex pro and current commentator says:

Sagan segir að Southampton sé búið að bjóða 34M punda fyrir Gylfa Sig.

Swansea á að hafa hafnað því ágæta boði. #Messan #Enski365 #Swansea

Which i reckon says something like we bid £34m for Sigardsson.

probably 3 to 4 million knowing uncle les however he's just the player we need and have needed for many a year

probably 3 to 4 million knowing uncle les however he's just the player we need and have needed for many a year

Exactly the sort of player we need, proven in the PL and gets goals (assume majority of these are set pieces tho?). However, no chance Swansea will sell and absolutely no chance we would spend £30 million + on a player, especially one with little to no resale value.

If (which I suspect isn't) is true, and we get a CB and CF I will take back every bad word I have ever said about Les & Kat!

Exactly the sort of player we need, proven in the PL and gets goals (assume majority of these are set pieces tho?). However, no chance Swansea will sell and absolutely no chance we would spend £30 million + on a player, especially one with little to no resale value.

If (which I suspect isn't) is true, and we get a CB and CF I will take back every bad word I have ever said about Les & Kat!

Well I'd think we'd be fairly safe in assuming we won't be bidding 34 million £ for anyone at any time soon.