The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

I was prepared to give them ago and wasn't to upset with our options in the summer

If Long had managed to keep up the form he finished last season with that would have been OK.... sadly he hasn't

I really like Jrod so I really wanted him to get a chance to get back to his old self ... sadly that doesn't look likely

I figured Austin had goals in him... he does but he is out for the rest of the season

So now we need a striker/CF or we are going struggle second half the season badly

A lot of ifs there.

Is this Oumar Niasse at Everton any good? Koeman dropped him like a bad smell, said he can go tomorrow, today even.

Hull rumoured to be interested. Surely we would be more attractive to him? Come in on loan or pay-as-you-play deal.

Think Ryan Smith/Adam Hammill and Romain Gasmi rolled into one...

I'm still hoping we make a move for Haller. He seems to tick all the boxes. Young, tall, good goal record and wouldn't cost the earth.

Talk in Italian Media that we have bid £13m for Gabbiadini, but Napoli want £19m.

Could be something in it, or could be a smokescreen to keep a deal for Haller quiet.

I'm still hoping we make a move for Haller. He seems to tick all the boxes. Young, tall, good goal record and wouldn't cost the earth.

He's rubbish. Even Utrecht fans don't think he's anywhere near good enough for us. Janssen is far better and look how he has done at Spurs.

Talk in Italian Media that we have bid £13m for Gabbiadini, but Napoli want £19m.

Could be something in it, or could be a smokescreen to keep a deal for Haller quiet.

He's rubbish. Even Utrecht fans don't think he's anywhere near good enough for us. Janssen is far better and look how he has done at Spurs.

Can't claim to have seen him so will defer to those who have. Everything I read sounded promising and his stats are pretty decent. I do think Janssen is better than his Spurs form suggests. Needs a run of games and he won't get them behind Kane.

Martin Ødegaard on loan to SC Heerenveen from Real Madrid. I'm curious to see if the boy still has it after all the hype and no playtime whatsoever.

He'll probably look pretty good in the Dutch League, same as he did in unders football in Norway.

Why even I looked pretty sharp when I was playing for Taunton's U15s. Trouble is my parents didn't make a shedload of cash from Real Madrid by hyping me up before anyone found out that I wasn't much good in the real world.

This. I'm a big fan of Janssen, looked very good against England before his move.

It's no secret he's been pony this year but I still think theres something to work with.

This. I'm a big fan of Janssen, looked very good against England before his move.

It's no secret he's been pony this year but I still think theres something to work with.

You think so ? Doesn't look anywhere near sharp enough for top class football to me. Seems to think that the same old, same old that made him a top striker in the Dutch League will get by with the infinitely better defenders of the EPL.

You think so ? Doesn't look anywhere near sharp enough for top class football to me. Seems to think that the same old, same old that made him a top striker in the Dutch League will get by with the infinitely better defenders of the EPL.

He only played 1 season at the top level in the Dutch league as well. It's gone very fast for Janssen. A bit too fast, it seems. But the man definitely knows how to score a goal. A confidence boost could still release him, but he'll have to start scoring at some point to achieve that.

Janssen far better? In what area's?

Haller aint rubbish, thats nonsense he has qualities all tho im not convinced he will make it, but i also wasnt convinced about Janssen and i also wasnt convinced about Pelle but he did more then alright. Jannsen aint that much better then Haller, if you ask me Haller has more chance of doing decently in the Premier League then Janssen. Spurs just massively overpaid, he shouldnt have cost more then 10/12 million. 18/20 million for a guy with one year experience in the Eredivisie is absurd, especially when they guy didnt even play for one of the top clubs in Holland.

The Premier League is not a easy league for strikers, if you look at the topscorers then they either have physical qualities like height and power (Costa, Zlatan, Lukaku, Kane etc) or incredible technical skills and quick (Sanchez, Aguero etc).

Jannsen doesnt shine in any of those area's, he has some height and power and decently with his feet but has nothing that really stands out, well he stands out for working his ass off on the pitch but thats not really what you want from a striker when you are Spurs.

If you would give me a choice of either getting in Janssen or Haller, i would go for Haller any day of the week atm simply because his qualities suits the league and our team better.

Stoke City have made a formal bid to buy West Brom striker Saido Berahino, according to Sky sources.

There is so far no indication of the value of the Stoke bid, but we understand it is less than the £20m offer from Tottenham that was rejected in the summer of 2015. Stoke also had a similar bid rejected in the summer.

Berahino hasn't played for Albion since September, and was sent to a training camp in France last month to improve his fitness. He hasn't scored a Premier League goal since February last year.

Stoke City have made a formal bid to buy West Brom striker Saido Berahino, according to Sky sources.

There is so far no indication of the value of the Stoke bid, but we understand it is less than the £20m offer from Tottenham that was rejected in the summer of 2015. Stoke also had a similar bid rejected in the summer.

Berahino hasn't played for Albion since September, and was sent to a training camp in France last month to improve his fitness. He hasn't scored a Premier League goal since February last year.

I wouldn't expect them to be offered more than £10m bearing in mind his contract is up in the summer...why would you?

They are welcome to him.

I still don't understand why people on here are so keen on signing Berahino. He's clearly not too bright (even by footballer standards), is an obvious troublemaker, and hasn't had a decent goal return since 2014/15. He fits perfectly into this new group of 'young English talent' players (Lingard, Alli, Grealish, Sterling) all of which have huge egos and seem like a bunch of complete t***s.

Why would his attitude be any different with us than it has been at West Brom? 1 decent season (which I don't think he'd give us anyway) and he'll pull a Lovren.

They are welcome to him.

I still don't understand why people on here are so keen on signing Berahino. He's clearly not too bright (even by footballer standards), is an obvious troublemaker, and hasn't had a decent goal return since 2014/15. He fits perfectly into this new group of 'young English talent' players (Lingard, Alli, Grealish, Sterling) all of which have huge egos and seem like a bunch of complete t***s.

Why would his attitude be any different with us than it has been at West Brom? 1 decent season (which I don't think he'd give us anyway) and he'll pull a Lovren.

You clearly have no idea of the back story regarding Berihino and WBA. He's not a troublemaker at all and those that know him, and I include very good friends of mine in that, say he's an ordinary guy who is fuming with his employer for breaking an agreement that they had and is determined to ensure they get the very minimum for him when he leaves as an out of contract player.

He's turned down contracts that would double his current wage such is his determination to leave.

He's turned down Stoke twice as he considers it a club similar to WBA and wouldn't suit his style. That said, he wouldn't have to move house if he did go there and is happy and settled where he lives.

You clearly have no idea of the back story regarding Berihino and WBA. He's not a troublemaker at all and those that know him, and I include very good friends of mine in that, say he's an ordinary guy who is fuming with his employer for breaking an agreement that they had and is determined to ensure they get the very minimum for him when he leaves as an out of contract player.

He's turned down contracts that would double his current wage such is his determination to leave.

He's turned down Stoke twice as he considers it a club similar to WBA and wouldn't suit his style. That said, he wouldn't have to move house if he did go there and is happy and settled where he lives.

Have a feeling he's going to end up here next season. We'd be the perfect club for him really (in terms of style of play) and a good opportunity for him to use us as a stepping stone (like all of our new players). IMO He'd also be the perfect player for us.

Surely Stoke would know if the player has any interest before lodging a bid. Generally thought terms ect would have been discussed through 3rd parties (agents ect..) before fee / bid is agreed? Also, can't imagine moving would be too much of an issue if he was willing to join spurs?

As you seems fairly close to the situation and both clubs involved, where do you reckon he'll end up?

Mamadou Sakho is set to decide his future in the next 48 hours with Southampton favourites to sign the Liverpool outcast.

Sakho knows he must quit Anfield to relaunch his stalled career and the France defender has attracted interest from Southampton, West Ham, Sevilla and Galatasaray.

Sakho, 26, would prefer to join another Premier League club and is understood to favour a move to Southampton.

Saints are more stable than West Ham and he knows compatriot Claude Puel from playing against him in France.

Southampton feel Sakho could replace wantaway captain Jose Fonte and Puel has excluded him from his EFL Cup squad to face Liverpool because he handed in a transfer request.

Sakho is considering his various offers and is expected to make a decision before the end of the week.

Liverpool want a cash deal for the former Paris St Germain centre-half, who has not played this season after spectacularly falling out with Jurgen Klopp on the club's US summer tour.

However the Reds may have to accept a loan move with a view to a permanent deal in the summer to offload Sakho.

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-favourites-sign-liverpool-defender-9595667

^ No idea if it's true, but nice to see those words highlighted above re: a Liverpool player "understood" to want a move to us rather than the other way around.

If that's true how he's 'determined to ensure they get the very minimum for him when he leaves' then I don't want a character like that anywhere near Saints. It's a thankless sport but what has he got to gain other than petty vengeance by making sure they get the minimum for him? I guess it's easy to forget how much West Brom have done for him and his development.

As I previously mentioned, what happens if we sign him, he has a good season for us, and we refuse to sell? Same situation again and it's not worth having someone like that disrupting the dressing room.

If that's true how he's 'determined to ensure they get the very minimum for him when he leaves' then I don't want a character like that anywhere near Saints. It's a thankless sport but what has he got to gain other than petty vengeance by making sure they get the minimum for him? I guess it's easy to forget how much West Brom have done for him and his development.

As I previously mentioned, what happens if we sign him, he has a good season for us, and we refuse to sell? Same situation again and it's not worth having someone like that disrupting the dressing room.

We wouldn't refuse to sell. At worst we'd ask to stay for 1 more year and then sell... hence why we loose our best players year in year out.

Have a feeling he's going to end up here next season. We'd be the perfect club for him really (in terms of style of play) and a good opportunity for him to use us as a stepping stone (like all of our new players). IMO He'd also be the perfect player for us.

Surely Stoke would know if the player has any interest before lodging a bid. Generally thought terms ect would have been discussed through 3rd parties (agents ect..) before fee / bid is agreed? Also, can't imagine moving would be too much of an issue if he was willing to join spurs?

As you seems fairly close to the situation and both clubs involved, where do you reckon he'll end up?

In the summer my mate at Stoke, and I think I put it on here, was 99% sure they had him at one point but the player REALLY didn't want to go and when I asked again a week or so later the Stokie said he wasn't moving. Hughes, really wants him and this will be the 4th window in which he's tried to sign him. Bony was a panic signing when SB turned them down finally late in the window.

My mate who knows SB I'll be seeing on Thursday evening so I'll ask if he's heard anything new. Despite what people pick up from the press he is, apparently, a pretty quiet unassuming chap who is the church going type, he goes with his mum and pays a quite large % of his own money into a clean water charity in Africa. He turns up to regularly to watch a junior team he sponsors, he paid for their kit etc, my nippers team have played against them previously.

However, he knows how he wants to play football and that's where the disagreements arise. Yes he's fallen foul of the law but many young players do. I'm certainly in no position to judge that!

I genuinely don't know where he'll end up. I guess if Spurs come back in he'd be daft to turn that down. I'd imagine WHU and Palace will be back in as well. There is no doubt that WBA really fu_cked him off regarding going back on their word and if they only get a development fee for him he'd be happy.

I'll see if I can find anything new out this week.

We wouldn't refuse to sell. At worst we'd ask to stay for 1 more year and then sell... hence why we loose our best players year in year out.

We've only recently ever sold 1 decent player after their first year with us, being Lovren, and he forced his way out of the club in a particularly disruptive way. So I believe we would refuse to sell after a year denying Berahino a possible big move. His track record suggests he wouldn't take it very well even if we said give us another year and you can go. Oh well, innocent until proven guilty I suppose!

Edited by Jai27

In the summer my mate at Stoke, and I think I put it on here, was 99% sure they had him at one point but the player REALLY didn't want to go and when I asked again a week or so later the Stokie said he wasn't moving. Hughes, really wants him and this will be the 4th window in which he's tried to sign him. Bony was a panic signing when SB turned them down finally late in the window.

My mate who knows SB I'll be seeing on Thursday evening so I'll ask if he's heard anything new. Despite what people pick up from the press he is, apparently, a pretty quiet unassuming chap who is the church going type, he goes with his mum and pays a quite large % of his own money into a clean water charity in Africa. He turns up to regularly to watch a junior team he sponsors, he paid for their kit etc, my nippers team have played against them previously.

However, he knows how he wants to play football and that's where the disagreements arise. Yes he's fallen foul of the law but many young players do. I'm certainly in no position to judge that!

I genuinely don't know where he'll end up. I guess if Spurs come back in he'd be daft to turn that down. I'd imagine WHU and Palace will be back in as well. There is no doubt that WBA really fu_cked him off regarding going back on their word and if they only get a development fee for him he'd be happy.

I'll see if I can find anything new out this week.

This is true, he is one of our ambassadors for our programme at work for The FA which support grassroots football.

We've only recently ever sold 1 player after their first year with, us being Lovren, and he forced his way out of the club in a particularly disruptive way, so I believe we would refuse to sell after a year denying Berahino a possible big move. His track record suggests he wouldn't take it very well even if we said give us another year and you can go. Oh well, innocent until proven guilty I suppose!

Juanmi left after a year as well I believe. Then again that's probably because he was totally unsuited to EPL football and it was a wise thing to do.

Edited my original post :D

Right. Although I seem to remember that plenty of "experts" on this very forum were assuring us that Juanmi was the next big thing and it just needed time to prove that. He was too small and too predictable to do anything useful in our league. Much the same as Clasie really.

Right. Although I seem to remember that plenty of "experts" on this very forum were assuring us that Juanmi was the next big thing and it just needed time to prove that. He was too small and too predictable to do anything useful in our league. Much the same as Clasie really.

Looking at it now it was quite an odd decision to sign him really. I guess it was just a bit of a 'cheap' punt that didn't work out.

Looking at it now it was quite an odd decision to sign him really. I guess it was just a bit of a 'cheap' punt that didn't work out.

Cheap punt that no doubt left a negative effect on the balance sheet though. Fee, agent's fee, salary, costs.

Probably cost us somewhere between 3 and 4 million at the end of the day for zero return. That sort of deal is why we have no money for real transfers. Gardos is the same, a total waste of money, he's probably cost us over 10 million so far and is just

not contributing anything. Big clubs can afford that sort of thing, they can always get a Chinese Noodle maker to fund their errors but ours come at the price of selling good players and replacing them with average ones.

Is Sakho good enough on the ball for our style?

according to Wikipedia (appreciate this may not be completely accurate)

Mamadou Sakho is a French professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for Premier League club Liverpool and the France national team. He is known for his tackling ability and his passing accuracy

To me he has always looked solid but awkward with the ball at his feet, but in all honesty I've seen very little of him.

Saints outed as having bid $14M for Gabbiadini. Napoli value him at $18-20. Some others only want him on loan.

http://www.gazzamercato.it/juventus/napoli-piu-premier-che-bundesliga-per-gabbiadini-southampton/?intcmp=gabbiadini-premier&refresh_ce-cp

I really hope there is no truth to this rumour as he would be an appallingly bad signing, reminiscent of Osvaldo and Delgado. He's massively overpriced, very injury-prone, suffers from muscle fatigue and ankle problems and has only managed two 90 minute appearances in Serie A in the last 2 years. Even in the days when he was fit enough to play, he was well behind Pelle in the Italian striker pecking order.

Is Yoshida? He has improved tremendously this year but still one of his weaknesses is his distribution

Well, it's debateable but, generally, probably not. He's a good squad player but too prone to lapses for a top-half regular. Which is why we're looking to sign someone better. Which is why I asked a question about Sakho. Which you don't seem to know the answer to. And neither do I. So we haven't made much progress.

Is Sakho any good on the ball?

Well, it's debateable but, generally, probably not. He's a good squad player but too prone to lapses for a top-half regular. Which is why we're looking to sign someone better. Which is why I asked a question about Sakho. Which you don't seem to know the answer to. And neither do I. So we haven't made much progress.

Sorry thought you were intelligent enough to read between the lines....yes he is decent enough on the ball in games I have seen him in...better than what Yoshida is which meets the criteria set down by Puel etc ...better than we have already.

Yes he is good on the ball, left footed primarily and has a good range of pass. He does look awkward when he runs but I for one think he would be a very good acquisition.

Didn't someone do a run through earlier and the summary was - looks like bambi on ice but has good passing and tackling - head like a 50p piece. Good little pairing with him and VVD then!

Sakho for Fonte and Berahinio or this Italian bloke is pretty good business this window and I would be happy.

I guess Fonte was going from the start hence why he didn't start in Europe.