The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Not sure if that is rhetorical or not, but it seems that the piggy bank is a little emptier than one might think. 1 Benteke = 3 other good players??

Only if the can get their money back on him. That's two clubs who have spent around 30 million for him and they both got very little in return I can't imagine to many teams will be willing to give Palace enough money for Benteke to buy 3 other good players to replace him.

He's a step up from one of the most consistent defenders in the premier league over the last few years?! Is he!??

I personally think to many people have bought into the media hype over Fonte. He's been a very good player for us and has been reliable but he's not one of the best in the league. His greatest asset is his leadership and organising the back line which can be invaluable but he can be quite error prone at times. Imo Sakho when fit and playing week in week out will prove to be a better player. Add to the fact that Fonte is 33, yes I think Sakho will be a step up.

I'd be very surprised if we are in for Sakho. He always looks like a good one touch footballer when I've seen him. Can win a header, make a tackle or block and is physically strong, but ask him to take a few more touches and he looks less composed than Big Vic ever did. Given our style (for better or worse) of playing the ball around the defence, I can't see him fitting into our style of play.

I'd be very surprised if we are in for Sakho. He always looks like a good one touch footballer when I've seen him. Can win a header, make a tackle or block and is physically strong, but ask him to take a few more touches and he looks less composed than Big Vic ever did. Given our style (for better or worse) of playing the ball around the defence, I can't see him fitting into our style of play.

Could be right but I still think he would be a great asset.

Us and corners at the moment can be dull.

I remember the days when Claus would go up for a corner and it was like just placing a shirt on the floor.

This Sakho coming up for corners will make a massive difference.

I personally think to many people have bought into the media hype over Fonte. He's been a very good player for us and has been reliable but he's not one of the best in the league. His greatest asset is his leadership and organising the back line which can be invaluable but he can be quite error prone at times. Imo Sakho when fit and playing week in week out will prove to be a better player. Add to the fact that Fonte is 33, yes I think Sakho will be a step up.

This, if Fonte hadn't had Lovren, Toby & VVD next to him I very much doubt he'd have been as consistent as he's been.

Always the argument that Fonte helped improve these players, but looking at the Form of Lovren & Toby kind of dismisses this.

Fantastic servant who, IMO, has found his level.

This, if Fonte hadn't had Lovren, Toby & VVD next to him I very much doubt he'd have been as consistent as he's been.

Always the argument that Fonte helped improve these players, but looking at the Form of Lovren & Toby kind of dismisses this.

Fantastic servant who, IMO, has found his level.

He won the European Championships barely six months ago. Maybe that's his level. He didn't have Toby and Lovren with him then. By the way, Lovren's has been pretty inept for much of his time at Liverpool.

He won the European Championships barely six months ago. Maybe that's his level. He didn't have Toby and Lovren with him then. By the way, Lovren's has been pretty inept for much of his time at Liverpool.

Yeah, it's not like Fonte had anyone good partnering him at centre back. Just 2 time Champions League winner, Real Madrid starter Pepe - wouldn't get anywhere near our team... ?

We would do well to improve on Fonte.

Absolute madness, in the position we're in, to even think of selling him this window.

Think hes been very average this season. Would rather have a player who wants to be here than one who is going to sulk if he is made to sit tight until the summer. Lets get a good replacement in. Fabian Schar would be my choice

Yeah, it's not like Fonte had anyone good partnering him at centre back. Just 2 time Champions League winner, Real Madrid starter Pepe - wouldn't get anywhere near our team...

As I recall, the Portugal defence improved when Fonte came into the team. In any event I think Fonte's qualities include leadership and organisation. Actually, I think we have missed these qualities this season. Puel really needed a motivated captain as a key link between him and the players. I'm leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the situation but just highlighting something I think we've missed this season and it's been damaging.

Finally, why the sarcasm? Genuinely, is it really warranted?

As I recall, the Portugal defence improved when Fonte came into the team. In any event I think Fonte's qualities include leadership and organisation. Actually, I think we have missed these qualities this season. Puel really needed a motivated captain as a key link between him and the players. I'm leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the situation but just highlighting something I think we've missed this season and it's been damaging.

Finally, why the sarcasm? Genuinely, is it really warranted?

Hence why Fonte is not the man for the job. All he's done is cause a disruption and throw his toys out the pram, this season.

Your point re Lovren.. if you look at his form since Klopp has taken over, he's back to the level he was at when he was with us. Apart from 1 flook season, genenerally every Liverpool player was sh!te under Rogers (would say that says more about the manger than the players).

Eder (if i recall correct scored the winner) and Ricardo Carvalho also won the European Championships and they wouldn't get anywhere near our first team.

The fact of the matter is every season we have had a top (in Toby & VVD world) class CB partner (international football he's had the same), if he was really as good as some make out, he'd have been snapped up a while ago and certainly wouldn't be looking at a move to palace. Instead everyone has taken his partner.

Whilst I think Fonte did very well when called upon in the Euro's, he didn't play that many games and had Pepe next to him when he did. I don't want to down play how well he's done for us as he's been a fantastic servant but imo Sakho would be brilliant next to Van Dijk.

What exactly is our style of play? I can't seem to work it out at the moment....seems to be press for 20 mins and then sit back and let the opposition come at us for 70....would have thought that a big defender would fit in with that....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think the debate on whether Sakho's any good or not is pretty pointless . Just does not seem to fit our type of buy. Maybe a loan as a quick fix , but I can't see us buying him unless it's a stupidly low price

He doesn't fit our type of buy but he's in a fairly unique situation: He's available, he (by all accounts) wants to stay in the Prem and we have a vacant spot in the middle of our defence.

He's going to cost some serious coin, but we can offset that against any ££'s we get from Jose leaving.

It's all about how Sakho would fit with VVD and I reckon it could be a good one. That or we're 'destabilising' Liverpool with all this stuff before tonight. Or they us.

Destabilising them by putting out stories we want to sign a player that cant get near their first team?

I'm sure we've enquired about him as we probably have lots of centre halves but I'd be very surprised if we spent £20m on him.

It's all about how Sakho would fit with VVD and I reckon it could be a good one. That or we're 'destabilising' Liverpool with all this stuff before tonight. Or they us.

The stories on Sakho have come from the liverpool echo and were written by journalists with credibility when it comes to liverpool transfers, so it hasn't been leaked by us.

Utter desperation. Hardly prolific is he?

He doesn't have too bad a return. But it seems strange that he changed clubs in Italy every 5 seconds, was a free agent after Parma but could only find a years contract in Qatar, before becoming a free agent and joining Standard. They must be laughing what with making a £10.4m profit in 6 months.

He doesn't have too bad a return. But it seems strange that he changed clubs in Italy every 5 seconds, was a free agent after Parma but could only find a years contract in Qatar, before becoming a free agent and joining Standard. They must be laughing what with making a £10.4m profit in 6 months.

Given Everton are doing a FFP doge with their training ground they are probably going to loan him to China for 50m for the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saints in for Valère Germain, who played under Puel last season on loan from Monaco, according to l'equipe.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transfert-claude-puel-southampton-pense-a-valere-germain/767903

He got linked last summer. Slightly underwhelming if true.

Saints in for Valère Germain, who played under Puel last season on loan from Monaco, according to l'equipe.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transfert-claude-puel-southampton-pense-a-valere-germain/767903

5 goals in 18 games for Monaco so far this season, according to Transfermarkt, & I imagine he's been playing second fiddle to Falcao for much of the season so far. Plays centrally or wide left so I can see how he'd fit Puel's philosophy.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

PAYET 'DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY'

Bilic also tells reporters his star player Dimitri Payet - a scorer of so many impressive goals since he arrived from Marseille two summers ago - doesn't want to play for West Ham.

He said: "We have said we don't want to sell our best players but Dimitri Payet does not want to play for us. We are not going to sell him.

"I spoke to the chairman and this is not a money issue. We gave him a long contract because we want him to stay."

He's so lazy, did absolutely nothing and is a diving b4stard too!

I'll give you the diving bastard bit but Sturridge is an excellent finisher. He'd do well in our set up imo. He's the exact type of forward our system could do with. Add to the fact that he's far better than anything we have.

His only question mark is his fitness, but sometimes a change of scenery is all that's needed. Look at Wilshere now for instance.

PAYET 'DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY'

Bilic also tells reporters his star player Dimitri Payet - a scorer of so many impressive goals since he arrived from Marseille two summers ago - doesn't want to play for West Ham.

He said: "We have said we don't want to sell our best players but Dimitri Payet does not want to play for us. We are not going to sell him.

"I spoke to the chairman and this is not a money issue. We gave him a long contract because we want him to stay."

Time for Les to tell SSN we've lodged a bid of £1.5 mil and Fonte....