The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

i don't think there is any better pair of young centre backs than Calum Chambers and Ben Gibson. They are the main reason Midblesbrough's defensive record is one of the best in the Premier League: better than ours and Liverpool's. What are the chances of getting Chambers back? I guess he'd be out of our price range.

for once I agree with one of your posts, they look a really good pairing but my preference would be Gibson, as he looks much more composed and is left footed. Home boy and Chairman is his Dad so unlikely to leave unless for a "big" club though!

Not really, if the club that wanted him no longer do so then we can't just shove him out of the door with no club to go to. I reckon Benfica might want him but maybe only willing to pay us half of what his valuation is perceived to be.

I thought this would be his likely destination; especially when one of their CBs was linked with a move to Manure, guessing thats the hold up!

I would be happy with Schlar or Sakho.

for once I agree with one of your posts, they look a really good pairing but my preference would be Gibson, as he looks much more composed and is left footed. Home boy and Chairman is his Dad so unlikely to leave unless for a "big" club though!

I thought this would be his likely destination; especially when one of their CBs was linked with a move to Manure, guessing thats the hold up!

I would be happy with Schlar or Sakho.

The chairman is his uncle but the case of him being sold to us is unlikely

But, there are 2 ways of doing things....someone like West Ham show their hand and prices will go up. By saying not bothered, that is us holding our cards much closer to our chest and hopefully will not mean prices are inflated more than they already are. I think everyone can see where our problem is, but not sure everyone knows quite what the Club/manager is thinking. Maybe they are happy with what they have, maybe they're not.

That's fine, they can be as quiet as they like. As long as they actually do bring in a bloody striker. A loan will be fine.

I think it would be a massive risk to not bring another striker in, with the hope that Long or J-Rod can start scoring regularly between now and the end of the season.

Not to mention hoping neither getting injured.

Plus Fonte was 27 when he joined us. That turned out OK ;-)

To a certain extent that was a different era / philosophy. We were buying proven players that would get us out of the league(s) and back to the Prem (Lambert, Fonte etc). There was little requirement for resale value then. It's a different model now.

Not really, if the club that wanted him no longer do so then we can't just shove him out of the door with no club to go to. I reckon Benfica might want him but maybe only willing to pay us half of what his valuation is perceived to be.

The other issue with Fonte going to Benfica is that he'd be unlikely to get the wages he wants there. they do have some highly paid players, but according to the Mail (I know), Lindlof who he would be replacing if the Man Utd transfer goes through is only on £3.5k per week.

Be quite interesting to see how this unfolds

There has and always will be a pecking order in football (levels/hierarchy) and footballers will make noises about ambition and champions league and for some that's important.

But I would almost guarantee that the biggest reason to sign for any club is wages.

Now that these Chinese clubs are willing to pay £32 million a season (Tevez) youre likely to see a large exodus of players to china next 12-24 months

Will probably encourage the formation of a European super league and we will be left to fight for the premier league with WBA and Burnley..... Not sure that excites me.

There has and always will be a pecking order in football (levels/hierarchy) and footballers will make noises about ambition and champions league and for some that's important.

But I would almost guarantee that the biggest reason to sign for any club is wages.

Now that these Chinese clubs are willing to pay £32 million a season (Tevez) youre likely to see a large exodus of players to china next 12-24 months

Will probably encourage the formation of a European super league and we will be left to fight for the premier league with WBA and Burnley..... Not sure that excites me.

So you didn't get excited battling it out for league one and Championship? You Prem johnny come lately!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely the china bubble will burst soon? What they are offering players - and even flaming refrees - is obscene. It's just a ball on some grass for Christ sake!

Hasn't burst in the Prem yet. Sky and their money have been ruining football here for years, they say...

I think it's great to see the so called big clubs being rebranded selling clubs!

It will make a more even Premier League....bring it on!

I reckon we are letting this one run on until the last few days of the transfer deadline which ends in January.

Probably have agreed deals with Sakho and Gabbiadini but we can't agree a fee with Liverpool and Napoli.

The back up plan would be the cheaper option which is Haller & god knows who for CB.

I do recall us signing Mane and Alderwald on the last day a couple of years ago as many clubs like to play the market for more money.

I think it's great to see the so called big clubs being rebranded selling clubs!

Doubt it. They'll just spend their huge earnings from the Chinese players on yhe next tier down. We'll be forced to buy from a tier lower as well. Everyone has dropped a tier down the pyramid to let the Chinese in at the top.

It will probably actually have the opposite effect in truth. The big clubs will have even more money to spend on players from the selling clubs like us, paying silly amounts for players that do not attract the absolute top money now.

I must have missed the bit were the Chinese super league has huge global TV deals...

Think you'll find global tv deals are only relevant as a way to raise money, looks like the chinese don't have this problem, not sure if they're state funded or what, needless to say they can play in empty stadiums with no one watching on tv and they'll still have the same money.

We can all laugh at the big teams but this is a worrying scenario for us, if we lose the tv deals it won't be just them losing out, it'll be the end of us signing players like Hojberg, mane vvd etc

Think you'll find global tv deals are only relevant as a way to raise money, looks like the chinese don't have this problem, not sure if they're state funded or what, needless to say they can play in empty stadiums with no one watching on tv and they'll still have the same money.

We can all laugh at the big teams but this is a worrying scenario for us, if we lose the tv deals it won't be just them losing out, it'll be the end of us signing players like Hojberg, mane vvd etc

It seems even the Chinese government are getting worried about the money being spent

A spokesperson for China's General Administration of Sport said clubs in the country were "burning money".

The spending was also described as "a grave phenomenon" in a question and answer session on the organisation's official website on Thursday.

The spokesperson added that the government body would "strengthen examination and supervision of clubs' financial affairs, progressively control clubs' expenditures on first-team players and ensure favourable financial conditions".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38524429

It seems even the Chinese government are getting worried about the money being spent

A spokesperson for China's General Administration of Sport said clubs in the country were "burning money".

The spending was also described as "a grave phenomenon" in a question and answer session on the organisation's official website on Thursday.

The spokesperson added that the government body would "strengthen examination and supervision of clubs' financial affairs, progressively control clubs' expenditures on first-team players and ensure favourable financial conditions".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38524429

What... all we're doing is evening up the trade deficit ever so slightly, they sell us plastic crap, we sell them over the hill footballers.

Any new striker will be isolated exactly like Long and Rodriguez currently are.

We had 20 shots today, and its by no means the first time this season we've had plenty of chances, no team should be failing to score with twenty shots we need someone who can convert chances all this to isolated stuff is just hyperbole.

We had 20 shots today, and its by no means the first time this season we've had plenty of chances, no team should be failing to score with twenty shots we need someone who can convert chances all this to isolated stuff is just hyperbole.

I didn't go to the match, of course. What sort of distance were these twenty shots taken from? Statistics like this mean nothing in isolation.

Any new striker will be isolated exactly like Long and Rodriguez currently are.

Long Rodriguez and Redmond have been the main problem all season, quite frankly they haven't been good enough bar a couple games here and there.

Long and Redmond especially miss far too many chances and ruin our attacks with poor play. We need to buy a really good striker and should have done it by now since Austin is still out.

Hurry up and do it before Liverpool away.