Most chances created in Europe's top 5 leagues this season

magnet

If anyone other than Charlie can finish then we would be storming the league, Redmond showed he can finish at the weekend so hopefully he'll start getting a few more. If Boufal can finish he must be loving those stats. It is a pleasure to watch some of our attaching build up play where we are cutting defenders to shreds.

This is "goal scoring chances created" rather than "total shots". You might get a shot off through a crowded penalty area but can hardly call it a chance as it was a mile off target and speculative to begin with.

OK, so based on that idea, how many "chances" did we create against Burnley, as opposed to the 34 shots attempted? Does the number include dangerous crosses into the box that the striker misses or the defender intercepts at the last second, for example?

OK, so based on that idea, how many "chances" did we create against Burnley, as opposed to the 34 shots attempted? Does the number include dangerous crosses into the box that the striker misses or the defender intercepts at the last second, for example?

Apparently it is the sum of assists + key passes (that's passes/crosses/mi**** shots that lead to a shot being taken). As far as I'm aware, the key passes stat has no control for quality. If you take 10 ill-advised shots from distance that go nowhere near the goal, you'd still be said to have created ten chances.

Still, heady company, though if you compare chances to goals, our conversion rate is 9% while the others are between 15-16.5%. Better players obviously convert a higher % into goals, but there's almost certainly a different in chance quality buried in there too.

As far as I'm aware, the key passes stat has no control for quality. If you take 10 ill-advised shots from distance that go nowhere near the goal, you'd still be said to have created ten chances.

Ah Ok. so a bit different from what I thought. I figured it was more like in (ice) hockey whereby a chance is a clear chance to score but was either fluffed or saved. Hockey is often 30-35 shots but 10-12 "chances" per game.

Apparently it is the sum of assists + key passes (that's passes/crosses/mi**** shots that lead to a shot being taken). As far as I'm aware, the key passes stat has no control for quality. If you take 10 ill-advised shots from distance that go nowhere near the goal, you'd still be said to have created ten chances.

So how is it different to total shots?