Inter 1 Saints 0 - Reactions

St Chalet

Might have won if we hadn't started an out of form jay rod over an in form Austin.

Given the game was there for the taking, that is an awful result and a real kick in the teeth for the travelling fans. Very ****ed off.

Tbf it was the right choice . The league is more important and I wouldn't risk Austin more than absolutely necessary. I wouldn't have brought him on at all .

Long has struggled this season but losing him to injury is a serious blow .

Imho I would have brought on Olamola (sp) in place of Long.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Tbf it was the right choice . The league is more important and I wouldn't risk Austin more than absolutely necessary. I wouldn't have brought him on at all .

Long has struggled this season but losing him to injury is a serious blow .

Imho I would have brought on Olamola (sp) in place of Long.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Agree. The League is far more important. Always is.

Think the plan had been to get j rod in behind their defence as they played a crazy high line that perhaps Charlie wouldn't have been able to exploit. It nearly worked, but for some extreme (and still understandable) rustiness from poor Jay.

Think the plan had been to get j rod in behind their defence as they played a crazy high line that perhaps Charlie wouldn't have been able to exploit. It nearly worked, but for some extreme (and still understandable) rustiness from poor Jay.

Yeah, he was very rusty. To be expected, but as you said, he NEARLY got on the end of a couple of chances.

Ultimately, the best thing about tonight for him was that he got some minutes.

Big blow to lose Shane. Hopefully Redmond's injury isn't major & with Boufal getting some minutes we've got bodies to cover Shane's absence.

8th in the PL, and 2ns in our Europa group, even though we have played two out of three on the road. Add to that we were missing three starters, and Austin only played the second half. Overall the team is good and doing fine. Lets get a point or three at City and we'll be great. We will also clearly move on in Europa.

Should still get out of the group but both the finishing and decision making in the final third tonight were way off. Very disappointed with J Rod cutting back onto his right when clean through and losing the ball. Should have just rifled that with his left. If he cant shoot with his left he has no place in our squad. And the short corner at the end - absolutely diabolical.

They were garbage. We were ok too in the 1st half once the nerves had settled.

JRod reminds me of when he joined us: a bit tentative. I think he'll be fine but it'll take a few months.

JWP was ok first half; used his body well, passed forward. Went into safety mode in 2nd half - wonder if he needs to learn to get a bit more riled like VVD does. Wonder if he might have had a negative effect on the younger players too: SMQ was ok but again he was a little safe at times.

Think the ref was very biased. Should have carded at least one of them far, far earlier.

I hope they're not too defensive in two weeks' time and we have a couple of players back. Would be good to destroy them: they deserve it.

We also want to win the group to get a favourable draw in the next round. Let Sparta get the team that drops down from the CL (unless it's Celtic).

Would be tempted to start Olomola next time if we don't have fit forwards: they don't like playing against pace. As for the comment about Sam Gallagher: it's good he's getting minutes in the league below to toughen him up and get the experience of a hard campaign under his belt.

I don't think CA is unfit; he can't be really, can he? I just think he's used to playing in a very restricted area and his body has learned that. Now he has to move outside of it and it takes time.

Think the disallowed goal should have stood.

Just back in hotel after drowning my sorrows.

Learning curve tonight . Outplayed them but didn't take our chances . Bang ..the Italians took theirs and then saw out the game. Countless sides have left Italy wondering how they lost after being on the end of a 1-0 and it won't surprise me if they do similar at our place . Tadic good first half , not quite there second . McQueen did well until the last 20 when he started to struggle . JRod just needed the minutes , so can't really blame him . I thought JWP did well , and I'm not a fan normally .

At the end of the day , the players gave it their all . Some criticism of JRod ott . VvD missed another sitter tonight , following on from the Israel one , but let's gloss over that and slag a bloke that's working damn hard to get back to somewhere near his best .

One of the most frustrating games I can remember, you could see from the players reaction they knew it was a missed opportunity.

Inter were a dirty, cynical team, playing for fouls and leaving the boot in a few times , horrible side to watch hope we smash them in the return fixture.

Rodriguez was particularly disappointing I just cant see him ever returning to the standard of 13/14.

It does seem a bit strange that Fonte hasn't featured in any European games. Guess he'll play v Sunderland next week.

We played well up to the finishing stage. Same in every match so I think we have to accept our strikers just lack that extra quality that the top players have. After all, they cost about 2/3rds less. Well done to the fans though.

Waiting for my flight home, my thoughts:

Very proud to see Saints at the San Siro and can not fault the team for quality and effort.

Never thought I would leave Milan disappointed not to take 3 points here and all things being equal that's a good sign for me.

Forster - 7 Little to do but what was needed he did well

Cuco -7 this guy gets forward well, perhaps could be a little stronger stopping crosses aka the goal

McQueen - 7 I'd pick him ahead of Targett the way we like to play now

Maya - 7 I thought he had a good game, one dodgy back pass aside

VVD - 8 Solid, seriously solid

Hojberg - 6 A quiet game by his standards

JWP - 7 Went quiet last half an hour but one of his better games the first hour

Tadic - 6 Quiet by his own standards

Romeu - 8 Real quality and proving at least as good as Morgan and Victor at times.

JRod 6 - Rusty but good to see and I think this was a good call by Puel

Long 6 - Blew hot and cold but I'm guessing he will be out 2-3 weeks now which is a loss

Subs: Austin 7 Put him self about as he does - unlucky a couple of times

Boufal 6 Showed some promise

Let's not talk about the 90th minute corner otherwise I am glad to have experienced it.

Ref - and Italian gamesmanship 3/10, say no more

Edited by Nick75Sfc

how did boufal look?

He did step on the ball with his first touch, which brought some laughter in the pub I was watching it in.

Got better as the game went on and had some nice flicks and tricks.

Hopefully long isn't out for too long - we were better when he was on the pitch.

Hojberg had a poor game and was getting frustrated towards the end.

We were pretty good in all honesty - not sure if it was inter being crap or us playing well.

Thank god we didn't get RdB.

Just thought i would post this Alpine special for those who missed his words of wisdom from the match thread..

"We have blown this bigtime

Puel was an awful choice and Uncle Les lost the plot this summer"

If anyone has any doubt ,any doubt at all that this fool is an utter tw at this should confirm it once and for all...

We played really well, no one can deny that to be honest. Incredibly unlucky. So, so, so unlucky. Millimeters away from scoring on a couple of occasions, on any other day we'd have had a couple.

Can't fault our performance, we were on the front foot from the off and Inter were hanging on. I'd be concerned if we weren't creating chances, but we are. We will score goals, we're getting into the right positions and opening teams up in most games. Puel has got us playing a really good style of football. We're going to do damn well this year if we keep playing this way.

Don't get me wrong. We played well and we were absolutely the better team. However, if there are things I don't like I will point them out. I don't like this notion that a differing opinion means they're a troll or bellend. Hopefully we can all be grown up enough to discuss things without calling names.

There is different opinions about how we play and what we do as a club which, of course, are to be respected. On the other hand there are some who find every negative they can and trot out 'we shouldn't ever sell anyone' at any opportunity. There are some people on this forum whose sole purpose is to act like bellends.

Had not included you in my, admittedly a tad childish, dig. I don't agree with your view that we were crying out for a striker but can understand why you would feel that way. I hope Long and Rodriguez are both a goal away from finding their form. Often all it takes. Shame Jay's legitimate goal last night was chalked off.

I think our strikers are fine, nights like this happen. We have one guy who is tied for 6th in goals in the PL (even though he's played many less minutes than the guys ahead of him), one guy who scored 10 goals in 28 PL games last season, Redmond who is showing much promise, and JRod who looks good for battling back from injury. I can't pick a PL team who has a better front four combination. They are making good runs and creating chances.

Disappointed at not beating Inter Milan away. This is how far we have come.

Very true!

One thing to note, I did see JWP getting feisty again with someone, think it was towards the end. I like this element in his game as he's not the hardest player (mind you, who is now, those days have gone), but he's not going to allow himself to be a pushover as he was perceived to be in the past.

Robbed.

Played incredibly well, away support was phenomenal - proud of each and every Saint who made the journey.

Ref gave away some interesting decisions.

Got a ticket for the home fixture, can't wait to see what we do to them at home. Team will be looking for revenge i think

Disappointed at not beating Inter Milan away. This is how far we have come.

Disagree, people using the "look how far we have come" as if we are some noddy team. We have beaten all the top English sides in recent years and should have won last night.

Inter are complete gash - people just get excited by their name, we played well, but there is no hiding that is a crap result. Bar 4 or 5 sides, the rest of the Premier League sides would have all won there last night.

Disagree, people using the "look how far we have come" as if we are some noddy team. We have beaten all the top English sides in recent years and should have won last night.

Inter are complete gash - people just get excited by their name, we played well, but there is no hiding that is a crap result. Bar 4 or 5 sides, the rest of the Premier League sides would have all won there last night.

:rolleyes:

FACT......or just a speculative comment the can never be proven....

If anybody had told me only a couple of years ago (let alone 6 or 7 years ago), that we would go to the San Siro, Play Inter Milan, completely outplay them but lose to a single goal from the only shot they had on target, then I would have asked for something they were smoking !

Very proud of them and I am looking forward to being there at the home leg where we will hopefully repay them big time...

Very hard result to take but it's a learning curb for these players. Lots of positives, Boufal looked intelligent, Yoshida made a couple of good tackles and I thought that was one of JWP's best games in a Saints shirt other than the chance he missed. I couldn't believe it when the commentator said he isn't even 22 yet. He must have been ridiculously young when he became a first team regular. I had him down for about 24.

Disagree, people using the "look how far we have come" as if we are some noddy team.

We're a "small seaside club" according to the Daily Mail...

Southampton's sojourn to Inter Milan's San Siro ended in defeat but the solitary goal came against the run of a match that provided a real indication of how far this small seaside club have come.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3856562/Inter-Milan-1-0-Southampton-Antonio-Candreva-fires-Italian-Europa-League-victory-Jay-Rodriguez-goal-disallowed-visitors.html

We never looked like scoring last night and not for the first time this season. As many have observed before you need to score to win even if you let nothing in. 38, 0-0 draws and always being the dominant team means zilch and isn't going to deliver many prizes.

I don't get how JWP can spend all evening lofting Hollywood passes across the pitch to feet, dropping corners precisely onto people's heads yet can't hit the goal from 15 yards out when unmarked. Just pass the effing thing into the top corner of the net instead of trying to leather it out of the stadium. The lad panics under pressure, all there is to it.

Mind you VVD wasn't much better was he. I hope we play Boufal-Redmond-Tadic up front on Sunday, right now neither Charlie or Jay deserve to start, Jay is getting better but it will take time whereas Charlie is a poacher in the Jimmy Greaves style (we called them 'goal-hangers' in my day) and we need a striker with more flair and drive; on Sunday's showing Redmond might just be coming good in that role.

It's not the end of the world today although it must feel like it for the 7k stalwarts that blew their earnings on their "trip of a lifetime". Hope they get back in time for Sunday lunchtime at Manchester despite the best (or lack of - in fact) efforts of our Italian cousins.

The Times in London had a great picture of Austin's try late in the match. It shows that his ball past the keepers hands but then hit him in the face. Very very unlucky, in fact Yoshida is in the picture starting to cheer. Ugh, that could have tied it. By the way, Austin is more than a "poacher". He is very good in the air, good with hold up play, and has a good shot from anywhere in the goal box. He is still very under rated by some, as Jamie Redknapp said the other day. Poachers don't get 18 goals in a PL season.

We never looked like scoring last night and not for the first time this season. As many have observed before you need to score to win even if you let nothing in. 38, 0-0 draws and always being the dominant team means zilch and isn't going to deliver many prizes.

I don't get how JWP can spend all evening lofting Hollywood passes across the pitch to feet, dropping corners precisely onto people's heads yet can't hit the goal from 15 yards out when unmarked. Just pass the effing thing into the top corner of the net instead of trying to leather it out of the stadium. The lad panics under pressure, all there is to it.

Mind you VVD wasn't much better was he. I hope we play Boufal-Redmond-Tadic up front on Sunday, right now neither Charlie or Jay deserve to start, Jay is getting better but it will take time whereas Charlie is a poacher in the Jimmy Greaves style (we called them 'goal-hangers' in my day) and we need a striker with more flair and drive; on Sunday's showing Redmond might just be coming good in that role.

It's not the end of the world today although it must feel like it for the 7k stalwarts that blew their earnings on their "trip of a lifetime". Hope they get back in time for Sunday lunchtime at Manchester despite the best (or lack of - in fact) efforts of our Italian cousins.

I have no words...

Austin doesn't deserve a start?

We never looked like scoring last night?

Awesome work Charlie

I think there are about 19 PL teams that would like to have Austin, currently tied for #6 in scoring, start for them

ORLY?

:lol:

Read that bit ...laughed and decided not to bother with the rest...