van Dijk's replacement

Fitzhugh Fella

With the growing media praise for Virgil's qualities it looks like an inevitability he will not be here next season. To my mind he is the best centre-half I have seen in a Saints shirt and will be almost impossible to replace, so I hope Les Reed and co are already on the case. I'm sure they are and it might be an idea to get the person in come January before we sell (presumably in the summer).

As good as he often looks, it's worth pointing out that both of the last two goals we have conceded were due to him not tracking his runner and allowing them to shoot.

I reckon we will be able to keep him this summer, because the length of his contract means we will be wanting more money for him than even the really big clubs would be willing to part with for him.

We might get one more season out of him. In my opinion hes destined to become world class. I can be critical of our team and players, but I genuinely believe he is the best cb in the league right now and I think many others will share this view by the end of the season. Next summer i hope it would take a fee of £60 million for us to sell

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

We might get one more season out of him. In my opinion hes destined to become world class. I can be critical of our team and players, but I genuinely believe he is the best cb in the league right now and I think many others will share this view by the end of the season. Next summer i hope it would take a fee of £60 million for us to sell

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I think if we are offered close to 40 we will let him go tbh. Stones has the English premium after all.

VVD is staying another season after this and will be made captain. Its the new direction the club are going in. Sign 5 / 6 year deals...get an extra year out of them. Eg if this had been done before...Mane and Wanyama would be in this seasons squad and leave the following season. That gives you an idea of how the club are trying to tackle being so successful while being penned back by FFP. Good on them.

There's certainly a noticeable difference in the 5 / 6 year contracts being dished ou t- I'm assuming the TV deal helps us out with this. Those 4 year deals did stitch us up in the past as even if you keep hold of them for that 3rd year, you get pittance for them when they go in the final year.

Lets hope Virgil does stay an extra year - I've no doubt EVERYONE will want him.

I think we will force him to stay another season like we did with Sneiderlin, Wayama and Mane.

Then we will allow him to leave if the right bid comes forward.

Next season we will need to bring in Fonte's replacement first as he is not getting any younger.

BTW VVD needs to stop players beating him on the deck like the last two games. He switches off too often.

With the growing media praise for Virgil's qualities it looks like an inevitability he will not be here next season.

The thoughts of the likes of Phil Neville on Motd 2 have no bearing on what will happen. It is down to what scouts & decision makers at clubs think and how strong a position Saints consider themselves to be in as van Dijk is under contract until 2022 so Saints could do as they did to Schneiderlin & Wanyama and refuse to sell him for another season.

To my mind he is the best centre-half I have seen in a Saints shirt and will be almost impossible to replace, so I hope Les Reed and co are already on the case.

I recall people saying Lovren and in particular Alderweireld will be "impossible to replace".

I'm sure they are and it might be an idea to get the person in come January before we sell (presumably in the summer).

That is unlikely to happen, a top centre half will cost even more in January than the summer and clubs will be less likely to sell.

A Charlie Austin situation may arise with a player cheap because they are refusing to sign a new deal, but that is rare and would also be hard to keep the squad happy if we sign a new 1st choice CB.

I think we'll struggle to qualify for Europe again. In which case he'll be off this summer, Man u, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal all need center backs and even spurs could do with him. It's even possible that Madrid, Barca, PSG or Bayern would come in for him. Sadly he'll be playing elsewhere next season, I'm getting a bit worried about these Romeu performances, too. But I've faith that we'll unearth or rehabilitate another CB from somewhere, though we're going to need two of the buggers!

As good as he often looks, it's worth pointing out that both of the last two goals we have conceded were due to him not tracking his runner and allowing them to shoot.

I reckon we will be able to keep him this summer, because the length of his contract means we will be wanting more money for him than even the really big clubs would be willing to part with for him.

If you want to add standing around letting Koscielny get five yards away from him for the first Arsenal goal, and letting Arnautovich get in front of him for the Stoke away goal last season, and I'll be very surprised to see him go to a top club until he's cut those basic mistakes out. I can only imagine the meltdown on here if Yoshida had made those errors.

Next season we will need to bring in Fonte's replacement first as he is not getting any younger.

Highly likely Fonte will be gone in January, hence why he has not played in Europa League games. VvD is obviously being lined up for captaincy. He will be here next season, despite Sky trying to sell him yesterday.

Highly likely Fonte will be gone in January, hence why he has not played in Europa League games. VvD is obviously being lined up for captaincy. He will be here next season, despite Sky trying to sell him yesterday.

We never flog players in Jan. I could see us perhaps bring in Fonte's replacement in Jan but we won't be selling our captain in the middle of the season.

VVD is staying another season after this and will be made captain. Its the new direction the club are going in. Sign 5 / 6 year deals...get an extra year out of them. Eg if this had been done before...Mane and Wanyama would be in this seasons squad and leave the following season. That gives you an idea of how the club are trying to tackle being so successful while being penned back by FFP. Good on them.
thats good news

It'll all depend on the Jose situation . We can't sell VvD at the same time as Jose or at the same time Jose's performance dips and he needs replacing . We will probably go with a new guy & VvD next season & then let VvD go the following one .

It seems a reasonable plan unless anything spectacular should happen.

I wonder if Fonte's replacement is already in the club?

This may sound pedantic but the City goal on Sunday was scored because, following Davies' giveaway near the halfway line, Fonte failed to track the goal scorer's run into the box. Iheanacho (sp?) ran right by him, leaving VVD with no time to bail Fonte out.

He's a very good player, but so was Toby, Lovren, Morgan, etc etc etc.

We know how to replace players, we're the masters at it. He's not going to be impossible to replace, I'm sure we already have options. Anyway, what's the point in even discussing this now. Lots to look forward to as he's our player.

This may sound pedantic but the City goal on Sunday was scored because, following Davies' giveaway near the halfway line, Fonte failed to track the goal scorer's run into the box. Iheanacho (sp?) ran right by him, leaving VVD with no time to bail Fonte out.

This - Fonte was stood on the penalty spot totally unaware - VVD was trying to help him out.

FFS not this nonsense again. Contract until 2022, not going anywhere anytime soon. End of.

I think if we are offered close to 40 we will let him go tbh. Stones has the English premium after all.

There is no such thing as English player premium. What there is is an English club premium, it's playing for a premier league club that drives up the price not the nationality of the player. It applies to foreigners too.

I think we'll struggle to qualify for Europe again. In which case he'll be off this summer' date=' Man u, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal all need center backs and even spurs could do with him. It's even possible that Madrid, Barca, PSG or Bayern would come in for him. Sadly he'll be playing elsewhere next season, [b']I'm getting a bit worried about these Romeu performances, too.[/b] But I've faith that we'll unearth or rehabilitate another CB from somewhere, though we're going to need two of the buggers!
how crazy is it that we get worried when our players do too well.

hey, fella, could you dial it down some? Were going to lose you to a big club if people keep noticing how good you are! Could you let in a goal or two, so they will look elsewhere?

Blimey are we on summer meltdown 2017 already....

I don't see a single 'meltdown' on this thread whatsoever. What I see is people discussing a likely scenario in a pretty constructive manner. It is OK to discuss things like this on a footy forum I guess?

You know, you don't have to be a 'bedwetter' or a 'happy-clapper'. There is some ground in between for discussion, and if appropriate, critique. Just maybe.

Niklas Sule at Hoffenheim perhaps, although I have heard that Bayern are interested in him so maybe wishful thinking...

The Hoffenheim right back Kaderabak is half decent too..

He is my no 1 pick. Not exactly original and not unknown at the biggest clubs in Europe, but he can take the well-trodden route to Saints on the way as we will off him regular football and an excellent environment to develop

And just a second before Davis gave the ball away Martina had pushed up in support and so was suddenly caught out of position.

I remember the same hype about Lovren and Alderweireld but the hardest one to replace will be Fonte. The club would be mad to sell him in January although Man United's desperation to sign him will have increased after yesterday's result. Incidentally, most of the best central defenders in Europe are in their 30s. As we can see with Stones, young centre backs are more error-prone.

Top, top player but Alderweireld still edges it for me as best CB I've seen in a Saints shirt.

I would be inclined to agree. I remember reading a crazy statistic that he didn't make a single error all season? I think he was ever so slightly more polished whereas VVD is the more aesthetically pleasing to watch.

If we do sell him I hope it's abroad, will save me the hassle of shouting abuse at him when he returns in a Liverpool / Spurs / United shirt. Premier league players are probably quite attractive for Barca and Real Madrid right now with the exchange rate, in fact what used to cost £50M could now be £70M, let's export.

Really? you can't see why some of our fans think our best players will leave in the summer...

Only a fool thinks that none of the big boys will be in for him and you're not one of them. Saints, or any club of our size, would struggle to turn down a £50m offer IMHO.

I'm hoping he stays for another season and if he then moves it's to the like of Barca/Bayern but move he will and for big money it'll be for.

Only a fool thinks that none of the big boys will be in for him and you're not one of them. Saints, or any club of our size, would struggle to turn down a £50m offer IMHO.

I'm hoping he stays for another season and if he then moves it's to the like of Barca/Bayern but move he will and for big money it'll be for.

Totally. I've become pretty numb to our exodus every summer now anyway. Enjoy these players while there here then enjoy seeing what the club pulls out of the hat next I reckon.

We could keep hold of him for another three seasons and still command a massive fee. Not sure why so many are resigned to him leaving this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In football these days some things are inevitable and truly great players get their moves. I'll give you odds of 2 to 1 he will not be a saint this time next year.